Fact check by CNN on one of the NRA commercials:
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...ns-and-rifles/

Is Obama pro-gun? No.
But he's not going to break into Dave's basement and steal his bb guns if you vote for him? No.

I've been a member of the NRA and I like the fact that they work to defend 2nd amendment rights.
But they get pretty extreme in their advacacy to say the least.
I like their firearm education and support of the various shooting sports, but the political side is a lobbying organization the same as any other.

Like most things the truth is usually somewhere between the two sides arguements.

I love firearms, ever since my first .22 all the way up to my latest restoration project 1894 and several M1 Garand rebuilds.
But let's face it, education, sensible limits (no guns on planes, in schools, in courts), and outright restriction of access by some people
(violent felons, juveniles, and the mentally impair (yes I mean you Dave), are neccessary.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
Under the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban, I would not have been able to purchase any kind of AR15 or AK47 or .50 BMG, so yes I would not been able to own those guns during that period of time.
Under the ban I was able to buy both pre and post ban AR15's.
(Though I think you're right that the BMG and the import of a lot of AK's were restricted.)
Please clarify your example.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidofDenver View Post
Why do you talk like you are speaking for more people than yourself? Is that some variable absolute liberal bias that I am senseing there?
LOL,
Just wondering Dave. Did you actually type that with a striaght face?
Seriously, major kettle/pot action there man.

Quote Originally Posted by Filo View Post
The whole "take the guns away" argument rings pretty hollow. ...- they will keep eroding 'till there is nothing left....
Great point. It's the ever popular "slippery slope arguement" whenever there's a perceived attack on civil rights.
Whether it used in the gun or abortion debate it's usually an argument that used to generates a quick emotional response (fear)
more than it is to truely inform people.
Arguments like that typically generate more heat than light.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
well if you don't think it can't happen in America Cathy, just look at Australia and England. Both countries have instituted gun bans and confiscations or gun turn-ins...
Apples and Oranges BK.
Those countries never had gun rights written in as a cornerstone of their civilain right like the US does.
And I've found the stories of people being dragged off in the middle of the night or their olympic teams having to go to another country to practice because they can't use guns in their home country are usually urban legends.