Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: High Plains Raceway

Re: High Plains Raceway

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    Is this a for profit endevour?

I wouldn't just give $ to McDonalds so I can sit in a golden booth, and still pay the same amount for a hamburger. If Ronald wants a golden booth he can buy it from the proceeds of the sales.
    The problem with that analogy is that you don't own the McDonalds, and the profits go into someone elses pocket. This track is owned and operated by the members of the racing clubs of Colorado.

As far as it being for profit - yes, technically it is, but that's only because there's no point in going through the necessary hoops to make it a non-profit. Again, it's owned by the members of the clubs that race there, and the member club rates will be just enough to cover overhead, service the debt and perform routine maintenance and improvements. Beyond that, what would be the point of generating excess profits? WE OWN IT. If your family owned a McDonalds and your family members were the only customers, what would be the point of having it generate profit? All you need is for it to break even so it can continue to exist. Anything more is just taking money from one pocket and putting it in the other (and possibly paying taxes on it in the process). Yes, eventually the budget will be there to allow for added infrastructure, but it would be nicer to have those things already there on opening day. The donations will make that happen, and will keep the rental rates lower since the improvements part of the future budgets will be lower.

If you don't want to donate, fine, don't. Frankly, though, I'm sick and tired of the naysayers posting up their justifications WHY. Instead, why don't you just say THANK YOU to the 1200+ members that have donated almost $688,000.00, not to mention me and the rest of the CAMA Board that have put hundreds of uncompensated hours into this project over the last 5+ years.
    The GECCO

You begin your riding career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Thats the beauty of America though, as tired as you are about listening to naysayers, they all still have the right to express their feelings. This isn't the MRA where you can silence the dissenting opinions.
    I don't own a piece of it, nor do the other people that don't race. From a personal financial position it doesn't make sense for me to bankroll a business I have no stock in. I must say it is an ingenious idea to get people to just give you free money to start a business without having to worry about giving a return.

Well, there was a DEMAND for this "business" and it seems like the donations just made it happen; if there was no demand, people would not give "free money" for a random “business" to ensue. Don't forget the part where contributions done now will translate in lower rates in the future...

Diego.
    636 '04
    DRZ400SM '08
    EXC 520 '02

Gold Member Yearly Supporter McVaaahhh's Avatar

Might be a bit early, but does anybody know what track time is going to cost at HPR? Will it be club only days with a provider like chicane, or will there just be open days like PMP has now?
    '02 RC-51 - Street
    '05 Pitster Pro 125 - Pitbike madness

Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to kill everyone you meet.

"Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride."
    ~Dave Karlotski

I look at it as an investment in the future. When Second Creek was open, it was a cheap and convenient place to race. The couple of hundred bucks I have contributed so far wouldn't even cover gas to get TO Hastings, much less the time I would have to take off to make such a trip. I'll admit it, I got spoiled when we had 4 or 5 racetracks to ride at within a few hours of Denver. Then we lost Mead, Second Creek, La Junta, and PPIR, all in a couple of years. That was a real eye opener. So for me, HPR is a part of the racing renaissance that I'm hoping to foster. I liked going out to SCR for half a day on my day off, hopefully HPR will offer something similar. It's just about 45 minutes from my front door to the gate at HPR, about the same as Mead was, about twice what it was to Second Creek, and about 1/3rd the time it takes me to get to Pueblo. So to me, it's worth it.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    I must say it is an ingenious idea to get people to just give you free money to start a business without having to worry about giving a return.
    Wow, you really just DON'T get it, do you?
    The GECCO

You begin your riding career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by The GECCO View Post
    If you don't want to donate, fine, don't. Frankly, though, I'm sick and tired of the naysayers posting up their justifications WHY. Instead, why don't you just say THANK YOU to the 1200+ members that have donated almost $688,000.00, not to mention me and the rest of the CAMA Board that have put hundreds of uncompensated hours into this project over the last 5+ years.
    Very well said Glenn.

How can someone consider attending a trackday as being the same as donating? Are you going to pay for entrance but not ride? Isn't paying for a trackday and riding just purchasing goods (ie tracktime). If every rider had that mentality, HPR would be nothing more then a dream.

Big thanks to all the DONATING members that have made this amazing track come to life. When I peddled around the course a couple weeks ago, I couldn't express with words the appreciation I have for Glenn and everyone else running this show. Top notch facility which is only going to get better.

So, for anyone out there that might want to ride this track some day it is now time to step up and donate some money. Every little bit helps. We all know that the economy sucks right now but even $20 here and $20 there will make a huge difference.
    Casey D

Quote Originally Posted by hcr25 View Post
    Remember not so long ago when some people were saying that? I hpe they dont ever get to ride there.
    I said that... And you are an idiot. Very mature approach. How about I piss in your face for being an idiot?

Now we're square. Jackass.

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by McVaaahhh View Post
    Might be a bit early, but does anybody know what track time is going to cost at HPR? Will it be club only days with a provider like chicane, or will there just be open days like PMP has now?
    I have no authoritative stance on this whatsoever, so these are just my opinions. That said...
    - I'd be surprised to see PMP continue to offer these as a regular thing. I'm not saying it won't happen, but it's a big exposure on their part.

- Having now walked HPR and seen it for myself, I wouldn't be surprised if they never had open days like PMP does now and SCR used to. If you crash on the back side of that track, nobody will know anything about it as some parts are basically not visible. On top of that, it will take someone time to get to you. The prospect of riding there without cornerworkers and an ambulance is scary. It's a great track, fun layout, and lots of runoff, but things do happen, and I don't want to be laying out in a field for 45 minutes while the other guy in the paddock mid-week slowly realizes I didn't come back in.

Again, these are just my opinions, but having talked to others offline about riding at HPR without a staffed day, the impressions have been similar. I guess if they did choose to do it, more power to them, and if you want to take the risk then knock yourself out. I'll wait for staffed days when I can bin it and get scraped off in short order if necessary.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Quote Originally Posted by JustSomeDude View Post
    I said that... And you are an idiot. Very mature approach. How about I piss in your face for being an idiot?

I didnt see where you said that and have no idea who you are. I just said alot of people said it would never happen, guess what It did. If someone wont donate 5 or 10 bucks to make something happen that would benifit them. I hope they dont ever ride there.

As for being mature? I rode a shopping cart down the biggest hill at the new track. Ya Im real mature
    No doubt about the future, No regrets about the past!

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter 64BonnieLass's Avatar

As for being mature? I rode a shopping cart down the biggest hill at the new track. Ya Im real mature
    Those pics are classic. Hysterical! I wish I could have seen that in person.
    "Keep that "what if" thought in the back of your mind; it's the angel on your shoulder balancing the devil in your right hand."

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."

2005 SV650S Street

I didnt see where you said that and have no idea who you are. I just said alot of people said it would never happen, guess what It did. If someone wont donate 5 or 10 bucks to make something happen that would benifit them. I hope they dont ever ride there.

Mike, I gotta say those cheater bearings that you were running in your cart were not very "mature" at all. You are lucky Brown was unfamiliar with the rulebook, otherwise there would have been a protest.
    Casey D

Quote Originally Posted by 64BonnieLass View Post
    Those pics are classic. Hysterical! I wish I could have seen that in person.

I did see it in person and when they decided to stand up in the carts...I was skeeeerrrd!
    MRA #145 Wyeth Jackson
    Sponsors:
    Wyeth Homes Real Estate www.WyethJackson.com
    G-Force Powersports and Kawasaki
    Dunlop Tires
    Bart and Mad-Moto
    SpeedMob
    Woodcraft
    Moto-Garage
    Un!nk Printworks

Yes, please use MRA_CAMA@yahoo.com

Thanks!!
    Additional donation sent
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JustSomeDude View Post

Mature approach? Enough said.
    Liberty never came from government. The history of liberty is a history of resistance. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of government power, not the increase of it. Woodrow Wilson, September 9th, 1912

"The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, waistoids, dweebies, dickheads - they all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude."

Quote Originally Posted by Player 2 View Post
    Additional donation sent
    Thanks!

Thanks to you as well, Jim!
    The GECCO

Fair enough. To those who have raised 600K+ for this track....thank you ! That is really an amazing sum of money that will benefit all of us who like to go fast Thanks!

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

We have signed up for the next 'tour de HPR'. It will be good to check out where our donations have gone. More to come.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja View Post
    We have signed up for the next 'tour de HPR'. It will be good to check out where our donations have gone. More to come.
    Of course I'm a little biased, but I think you'll find it nothing short of spectacular!
    The GECCO

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Of course I'm a little biased, but I think you'll find it nothing short of spectacular!
    My guess is we will want to give more $$ after our encounter.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Really old threads make me laugh!

I was just thinking the same thing. Thanks for bringing it back. LOL

We need more shopping carts this time!!
    Maybe we can race them again this year.

Stand up only, sitting down seems to safe.
    Last edited by hcr25; Mon May 23rd, 2011 at 11:24 AM.