Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cell Phone Junkies

Cell Phone Junkies

I have a few questions and comments.

Im looking into a new phone. I have the ATT Tilt with a cooked ROM and its ok. I think Im over Windows Mobile though. I want a touch screen phone and these are the ones Im looking into.

1.Blackberry Storm (when it comes out)

2.ATT Fuze (again, when it comes out)

3.T-Mobile G1

4.Apple iPhone (please judge me later!)

The question I have is for the iPhone. Do I need to install iTunes on my computer to put anything on it? I hate iTunes and well pretty much anything Apple but I want a phone that works with its hardware and the iPhone does that. Couldnt I just sync the phone with Windows Media Player or copy and paste onto the phones memory?
    2003 Suzuki SV1000S
    1993 Yamaha FZR 600 Tear Down!!
    1996 Yamaha FZR 600 <Sold>
    Twitter!

Re: Cell Phone Junkies

nope you need iTunes... it makes the syncing photos audiobooks pictures ringtones apps contacts mail ....and about everything else seamless

I maybe mistaken but I think the Storm is going to be only on the Verizon network. I know ATT is getting the BOLD which I have kind of been holding out for.

Owner and General Manager - Fun Center Cycles in Durango, CO

11 BMW S1000RR - Street - Lady on the street
    13 Kawi ZX6R - Track - Freak in the bed
    13 Triumph Daytona 675R - Wifes bike

2014 MRA 400 Production Class Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Joew4505 View Post
    I maybe mistaken but I think the Storm is going to be only on the Verizon network. I know ATT is getting the BOLD which I have kind of been holding out for.
    The Storm is only for the Verizon network, but I have also heard of a GSM version too (as the 9500 or Thunder). But I wouldn't mind heading over to Verizon to get this phone.

Thats too bad about the iPhone. I really don't want iTunes or anything that starts with "i" on my computer. Oh well.
    2003 Suzuki SV1000S
    Twitter!

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Got an iPhone last week. I figured the iTunes thing would be annoying, but it isn't too bad. Very much digging the phone, too.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe View Post
    Got an iPhone last week. I figured the iTunes thing would be annoying, but it isn't too bad. Very much digging the phone, too.
    my thoughts exactly... having never owned anything apple (iPod, Mac, etc) before, I picked one up a couple of months ago and I like it... does everything I need it to do, and works a hell of a lot better than the tilt.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

I have a new iPhone 3G, but the iTunes doesn't really bother me too much since I already had an iPod.

The only thing that irritates me is the iTunes Genius software in the new version of iTunes, it takes for ever to load now and I haven't taken the time to see if it's a feature that can be disabled.

I absolutely love my iPhone though, even if I do have to use iTunes with it.

Leah
    05 Raven R1
    01 YZ250F

Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    does everything I need it to do, and works a hell of a lot better than the tilt.
    As a Tilt owner I will agree. The damn thing typesl iket hisa ndi s VERY ANNOYING!

So far the Storm is my number one pick when its out.
    2003 Suzuki SV1000S
    Twitter!

G1 has the best features, and keyboard. It's directly influenced from the sidekick which has the absolute best keyboard on a phone.

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    my thoughts exactly... having never owned anything apple (iPod, Mac, etc) before, I picked one up a couple of months ago and I like it... does everything I need it to do, and works a hell of a lot better than the tilt.
    Ditto... I don't think I can ever go back to a regular phone...
    Quote Originally Posted by Suki View Post
    ...i mean, sure maybe 4 inches isn't much to them, but it sure as hell is alot to me!

LG Dare...sweet phone. Just got one for my daughter.

Give it a look... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIqs9k6RvXs&fmt=18
    Last edited by *GSXR~SNAIL*; Mon Oct 27th, 2008 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Added video review link from Phonedog
    Liberty never came from government. The history of liberty is a history of resistance. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of government power, not the increase of it. Woodrow Wilson, September 9th, 1912

"The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, waistoids, dweebies, dickheads - they all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude."

Quote Originally Posted by HR636 View Post
    G1 has the best features, and keyboard. It's directly influenced from the sidekick which has the absolute best keyboard on a phone.
    You clearly need to expand your horizons on qwerty keyboard phones. The sidekick is a horrific phone, sorry.

I have used the storm a few times now and I have a pretty easy time typing on it. I do like the click screen, it works well. The issue I have heard a lot with the iphone is that the phone works great but the coverage is terrible. Isnt that the point of a cellphone? To make calls? Not trying to iphone hate, i just think there are better things out there. I also think touch screens are a fad. Real buttons are still where its at. I think the offerings from HTC (diamond, diamond pro) are looking really interesting right now. Personally I think the g1 looks like an 80's calculator

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DevilsTonic View Post
    The only thing that irritates me is the iTunes Genius software in the new version of iTunes, it takes for ever to load now and I haven't taken the time to see if it's a feature that can be disabled.
    Yes it can. I don't have the Genius stuff turned on.

Quote Originally Posted by merlotSV View Post
    The issue I have heard a lot with the iphone is that the phone works great but the coverage is terrible.
    Haven't had any coverage issues with it so far. I also haven't gone many places with it, but so far so good.

I also think touch screens are a fad. Real buttons are still where its at.
    Having used both (several Blackberries for work, and my last phone was an LG eNv, all with real buttons vs my touchscreen iPhone now), I disagree with you. The touchscreen can do a lot more, it just takes a little getting used to. That said, I am having no trouble and type just as good on the touch as I do with "real keys".

I think the touchscreen is technologically better, it's just a personal preference thing.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

I currently have a unlocked iPhone that I am using and I love it. I have used Treo's, RIM's, HTC's, etc...

Nothing IMO compares to the iPhone it's so fast and fluid and it rarely locks up. Everything just works well together and the App store is a great bonus.

I also like the touchscreen better than hard buttons. It's easy to be fast on the iphone.

iLike

You don't need itunes to be your main syncer, I know you can use winamp and possibly WMP but I personally like itunes even though it's a bit of a memory hog
    It's a celebration bitches!!! - RIP 502

Motos:
    2003 SV1000N - Dual Yosh RS3 CF Exhaust ••••• 09' Aprilia SR50 (Wife's) ••••• 93' ZX-11 - Sold after 43k Miles
    Cars:
    08' Audi S5 6MT •••• 10' VW TDI Cup Edition 6MT •••• 02' VW TDI Beetle 5MT •••• 07' Ford Explorer

I love the idea of having a touch screen to do most of the work, but it’s also nice to have a QWERTY pad too. That’s why I like the Fuze and G1. But T-Mobile is lazy and hasn’t rolled 3G out yet here so that’s a bummer. The Storm really intrigues me. I don’t think Blackberry would release a phone that doesn’t type well, so I trust that the Storm can and will type better then my Tilt and probably better then the iPhone.

I don’t think touch phones are a fad. The technology behind them will just get better, more efficient and cheaper.
    Last edited by slayermd; Mon Oct 27th, 2008 at 05:04 PM. Reason: stupid Word
    2003 Suzuki SV1000S
    Twitter!

Quote Originally Posted by merlotSV View Post
    You clearly need to expand your horizons on qwerty keyboard phones. The sidekick is a horrific phone, sorry.

I have used the storm a few times now and I have a pretty easy time typing on it. I do like the click screen, it works well. The issue I have heard a lot with the iphone is that the phone works great but the coverage is terrible. Isnt that the point of a cellphone? To make calls? Not trying to iphone hate, i just think there are better things out there. I also think touch screens are a fad. Real buttons are still where its at. I think the offerings from HTC (diamond, diamond pro) are looking really interesting right now. Personally I think the g1 looks like an 80's calculator
    You clearly need to remove your ass from your head. The Sidekick has the BEST keyboard EVER on any phone in existence. There is no reason to argue about it. I have tried almost every phone from every carrier and none of them even come close.

The space between buttons, size of buttons, layout, ease of grip while typing etc all make it that much better than anything else. I can type close to 100WPM on mine with my eyes closed and hands behind my back, can you even get close to that on your touch screen piles of garbage? Maybe you don't really care, it doesn't matter. The G1 keyboard however is the next best thing to a Sidekick for the keyboard if you want to go the route of a smart phone.

Quote Originally Posted by HR636 View Post
    You clearly need to remove your ass from your head. The Sidekick has the BEST keyboard EVER on any phone in existence. There is no reason to argue about it. I have tried almost every phone from every carrier and none of them even come close.

The space between buttons, size of buttons, layout, ease of grip while typing etc all make it that much better than anything else. I can type close to 100WPM on mine with my eyes closed and hands behind my back, can you even get close to that on your touch screen piles of garbage? Maybe you don't really care, it doesn't matter. The G1 keyboard however is the next best thing to a Sidekick for the keyboard if you want to go the route of a smart phone.
    This is all a personal preference. I can argue with you that the Tilt keyboard is better then the Sidekick, but the G1 is better then both. Unfortunately I cant make that argument with you because it is a personal deal.
    2003 Suzuki SV1000S
    Twitter!

i ditched my tmobile dash and got my G1 last week. so far its the coolest phone ive had. it flat out destroys my gfs iphone.

it has a few buggs, and a new OS upgrade was just developed. the apps are pretty cool. they keyboard is the best i have used.
    sofar i give it a 9/10.
    04 RC51

I would stay away from Blackberrys. I had an old blackberry, and the blackberry pearl. They seemed problem prone, it would freeze up or get really slow a lot. Plus, there are not that many cool apps for them as you would like. Also, the quality seemed to lack on the pearl too, my ball clogged up with lint, the plastic felt cheep, etc.

I also own an ATT Tilt and am looking to get an iPhone in the near future.

My vote would be the iPhone, iPhones just outsold blackberrys, so you can't go wrong with the numbetrs lol.
    Last edited by RyNo24; Mon Oct 27th, 2008 at 08:19 PM.
    "Ride Naked!"
    2007 Yamaha FZ1 (Fazer)
    1984 Kawasaki 250 4-stroke enduro
    1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.2L V8 (Gas Whore)

Quote Originally Posted by RyNo24 View Post
    They seems problem proned, and there are not that many apps for it as you would like.
    Really? I was under the impression that there are tons of apps for BB. Ill have to look into that.

So far you guy have my mind on the iPhone........
    2003 Suzuki SV1000S
    Twitter!

I love my BB Pearl, never had a problem but I know others have. I would like to see that new Storm or whatever they make for GSM, or an android phone.
    Photogallery * Google+ * Facebook! * STFU
    Quote Originally Posted by Suki View Post
    god bless thongs and low self esteem women.

Blackberries are not too bad, but they are more business oriented, a lot of the main stream games do not work for the pearl, so you have to buy ones made for the pearl. All my friends at work that have the pearl also with they would have got a different phone. They have to pull their batteries a lot to reset them after they freeze or glitch.
    "Ride Naked!"
    2007 Yamaha FZ1 (Fazer)
    1984 Kawasaki 250 4-stroke enduro
    1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.2L V8 (Gas Whore)

Quote Originally Posted by txrc51fatboy View Post
    i ditched my tmobile dash and got my G1 last week. so far its the coolest phone ive had. it flat out destroys my gfs iphone.

it has a few buggs, and a new OS upgrade was just developed. the apps are pretty cool. they keyboard is the best i have used.
    sofar i give it a 9/10.
    If it was offered by AT&T I'd be all over the G1, but I'm not about to deal with TMobile again. That being said, be wary of the downloadable apps on the G1. While Apple is nazi-esque regarding their apps, Google is the exact opposite. They have a wide open development platform which will allow a lot of unskilled developers into the arena resulting in crappy apps... and this is coming from one of my friends who works for Google. Oh, and he kept his iPhone over a free G1... that says something to me.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.