Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do full face helmets break collar bones? (clavical)

Re: Do full face helmets break collar bones? (clavical)

I had a bit of a endo and actually cracked the inside of the helmet a couple of inches. Bruised up the right side of the body, cracked rib, and nothing wrong with the collarbone. I think it is completely based on how you hit, what part of your body takes the initial impact.
    Liberty never came from government. The history of liberty is a history of resistance. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of government power, not the increase of it. Woodrow Wilson, September 9th, 1912

"The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, waistoids, dweebies, dickheads - they all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude."

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

I think that's an urban legend. And, even if it was true in certain wierd extremely rare cases from the bottom of the helmet contacting the collar bone, the helmet then probably saved you a broken neck by preventing further neck displacement.

Moral of the story:
    Always wear your helmet and leave the anti-helmet rhetoric to the Hardley guys.

Heal up fully and soon man.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

+1 Urban legend.
    Ive crashed wit my AGV and got a concussion.
    Ive crashed with and Arai and had my bell rung.
    My last crash I was wearing a Shoei and broke my arm. But that might have more to do with the sudden stop into a tree.

I submit is it all about how you fall and less about the type of gear. But apples to apples, some gear my reduce the damage i.e. Alpinestar leather jacket vs. a Joe Rocket mesh jacket and sliding along the road (not me, just an example).
    The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR

Quote Originally Posted by Filo View Post
    I have seen lots and lots of crashes working corners for the MRA for 7 years. Many were with broken collar bones. The #1 thing that I saw that indicated a broken collar bone was if the arm was under the body when they hit. Every time I saw that I expected a broken collar bone and/or ribs. About 70% of the time I was right. So I would say you probably hit the road with your left arm pinned under you. The helmet just made sure you could tell us all about it and didn't have to be on disability for the rest of your life.

it is one of those "damned if you do, damned if you dont" situations. trying to "break my fall" got me a broken shoulder (humeral head broken in 4 places) and i broke off the nub where the rotator cuff connects. i was doing a whopping 0-35 mph

at least i got some sweet ti out of it

2000 tillis plus stuff with some polished stuff and some carbon fiber stuff and a little bit of tlr stuff and some gsxr stuff

I just had a buddy i ride with go down HARD this last Thursday night (Oct. 23rd)! He was riding in a pack and rode up quick on the guy in front of him... got on the front brake and started to squirrel... and hit a spot in the road and went down hard! He hit the highway peg and the gas tank of the guy next to him and then went the other way and bounced off College Ave. for a while! The only damage was a HUGE CONCUSSON! He is still dizzy and seeing stars... and a little road rash of course! His face bounced face first (I watched) and smashed his lens and he came out in flying colors!! He actually was back out on the bike YESTERDAY!

The part that sucks is that He was coming over to help get Full Throttle ready for our Grand Opening this Saturday... instead he went straight to MCR for the night... after he completely stopped traffic for over 30 minutes! He gave me his helmet as a memoir to put on a shelf in Full Throttle Coffee House (AKA... MOTOHAUS)

JOSH
    "GET CAFFEINATED!!"

Well just got back from the surgeon he said it was 50\50 for surgery so I opted out of it will check back in four weeks. Got a cool figure 8 instead. Feels pretty good actually.

Is that xray post surgery?
    "Accelerate until you see God, then BRAKE!" -Kevin Schwantz
    One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor! George Carlin

Morphine its not all it should be.-Humbucker

08 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Black
    06 KTM 625 SMC
    03 Suzuki SV1000S (Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Humbucker View Post

Is that xray post surgery?
    pre surgery.

afterwards you can see a screw holding the broken piece of bone in the right place and 3 pins sticking out of the top of my shoulder holding the humeral head together

2000 tillis plus stuff with some polished stuff and some carbon fiber stuff and a little bit of tlr stuff and some gsxr stuff