Thread: Colorado CCW: Am I reading this correctly?!

Colorado CCW: Am I reading this correctly?!

24-20-202 Permit To Bear Arms

If the governor at any time issues his proclamation as provided in section 24-20-201 declaring the state or any county, city, town, or district within the state to be in a state of riot, or insurrection, or invasion, it is unlawful while said proclamation is in force for any person, firm, or corporation within the territory covered by said proclamation to purchase, manufacture for sale or use, receive, transport, carry, or use any firearm or ammunition or to sell, give away, or otherwise dispose of or permit others to obtain possession of any firearm or ammunition without a written permit from the governor or his regularly authorized representative. No permit shall be issued by the governor or his representative unless and until the person so desiring such permit satisfies the governor or his representative that the same is to be used in defense of his home, person, or property.

So when you may need a gun the most, it's illegal to use it?!
    "That which does not kill you only postpones the inevitable."

Re: Colorado CCW: Am I reading this correctly?!

The way I see this is saying that the governor has the right to take away your permit to CCW because remember you have to ask to get it therefore it is a privilege and not a right. I say to hell with anyone that would want to take away my right to protect myself especially in times when you may need it the most. If he/she were to sign something like that into act I would not vote for him/her the next time they were up for re-election. Besides if it's concealed no one knows it is there.

It has been said many times but "It is better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"
    Someday someone my kill you with your gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because its empty.

A woman is like a motorcycle, both scream and get hot if ridden hard enough.

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

If there are bonafide riots/insurrections/invasions in the streets someday, I'm not gonna care about what that says. I highly doubt the cops are going to have the time to care about what I do either.

Besides...
    - Riots: Citizens fucking each other up. Self defense is a foregone conclusion.
    - Insurrections: Citizens fucking the government up. This will lead to riots.
    - Invasions: Governments fucking governments up. Umm, this one's a long shot, but if some army invades the US, I'd imagine our well-armed populace is going to be a good thing. Our standing army is far from the last thing an invading force should be afraid of.

So, yeah you read it right, but it's not going to matter.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

And you people think that WY is good for nothing..... My CCW was $79 and 4 weeks waiting.

Oh, and I can carry in CO.

We can get CCW's quite easily in CO as well.

than sincere ignorance

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Yeah,

I did CCW class a couple years ago. Class was $100, permit was $25 and I only waited about a week for it to show up in the mail

Yeah I took the class earlier in the year up at Gander Mountain. Took about 2 months for the permit to come in, however they said that was due to a recent increase in applications. Needless to say, I was happy to wait!
    Casey D

That's an unenforceable statute that contradicts the U.S. Constitution.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

That's all it says, easy to read and understand. They can make all the laws they want at the state level, but a well regulated militia and the right of the people to protect their rights superceedes any state law. The Governor could, however, say that all CCW permits are now null and void, but good luck enforcing it during a time of crisis.

FROM MY COLD, DEAD HANDS
    08 CBR 1KRR RED
    Lots of goodies, more to come
    06 Big Dog K9 custom

Quote Originally Posted by PROFLYER View Post
    That's an unenforceable statute that contradicts the U.S. Constitution.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

That's all it says, easy to read and understand. They can make all the laws they want at the state level, but a well regulated militia and the right of the people to protect their rights superceedes any state law. The Governor could, however, say that all CCW permits are now null and void, but good luck enforcing it during a time of crisis.

FROM MY COLD, DEAD HANDS
    So on that logic, something like the Brady Bill should not stand up in the Supreme Court if challenged, as it would then be unconstitutional, right? "Shall not be infringed" seems pretty cut and dry to me.

than sincere ignorance

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe View Post
    So on that logic, something like the Brady Bill should not stand up in the Supreme Court if challenged, as it would then be unconstitutional, right? "Shall not be infringed" seems pretty cut and dry to me.
    correct, but the 'well regulated militia' is part of that. If you're a felon you can't have a gun etc. It's intended for law abiding citizens, just as the CCW. The governor would have an impossible time infringing on the rights of people who don't break the law.
    08 CBR 1KRR RED
    Lots of goodies, more to come
    06 Big Dog K9 custom

My point is that a non-felon should be able to then buy any weapon (assault rifle or not) that they choose. Yet the bill which was in effect curtailed those rights.

Was it ever challenged in the USSC, and if so how was it legitimately upheld?

than sincere ignorance