Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Being seen - how important is it to you?

Re: Being seen - how important is it to you?

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post

Man, if that doesnt get a drivers attention, I dont know what will....looks good!
    For My Diavan

Leroy Brown

This will sound strange to some of you.

I don't expect others to see me. I don't need others to see me. I don't even care if they see me or not.

It's my job to KNOW what they're going to do. I EXPECT every single one of "them" to turn in front of me without signalling, change lanes without looking, stop suddenly for NO reason other than to make a U-turn NOW, follow to closely, cut me off, hate me for being faster and more maneuverable and TRY to hit me... Yes, I expect a great deal from other drivers and all of it's BAD.... I'm mostly right.
    AND (IMHO)
    If I'm counting on others to see and avoid killing me (IMHO), I'm doomed already.

It's my job to know what they're going to do before they do it by watching their vehicle movements, their head movements, their body language.... etc.

If you're paying attention you will always know what they're going to do, often before they make up their mind as to what they're going to do.

Then again... I don't believe the old (and incorrect addage) of "there are 2 kinds of riders, those who've crashed and those who're gonna".
    To me that's like saying "if you do something (anything) long enough, something bad WILL happen".
    I just don't buy it.

However... I wear red jacket and helmet with reflectors, reflective vest (required for Post), and I ride a friggin ROAD CONE ORANGE motorcycle. (no, I don't ride with my hi beams on, I hate that and those "modulators")...

All of this... of course, is COMPLETELY my opinion but it's worked for 40+ years of riding and having never crashed or been crashed (yep, I'm THAT slow) it seems to be working out well.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
    SPEED SAFELY!!

Leroy Brown

Quote Originally Posted by Medicjess View Post
    Amen to the posts thus far! I got a$$ ended by a drunk driver at a red fooking light when my bike was only 5 days old. I saw it coming and managed to get mostly out of the way..thus only the broken leg to complain about.
    I have had to split lanes twice - both in Colorado - to avoid a rear ender at a stop light. Glad you were watching.

I find it interesting when newbs pull up right behind the car in front of them.
    I can't help thinking how much it would hurt to get squished.
    SPEED SAFELY!!