Thread: Best full-size truck for someone that doesn't really want a truck...

Best full-size truck for someone that doesn't really want a truck...

Looking to trade in our Grand Cherokee on a used pickup for bike hauling and general usefulness. Only thing is, 99.9% of the time the truck WON'T be used for hauling bikes around. So....

What is the most car-like truck out there that's got a nice big crew-cab for two kids and/or adults to ride in, gets decent mileage, quiet, etc? From what I've seen the following are all contenders:

Ford F150
    Chevy Silverado
    Toyota Tundra
    Nissan Titan
    Dodge Ram

Can you get any of these in a V6 but still with the crew cab? Don't need much HP, doesn't have to haul a boat or anything huge... Also considering a 2006 Honda Ridgeline -- any thoughts?
    Paul G.
    2005 R1

Re: Best full-size truck for someone that doesn't really want a truck...

The F-150 rides really nice. My dad has a newer one but he has the 5.4L V-8. I am not sure you are going to find a crew cab with a V-6. those a pretty rare unless you step down to a mid-sized truck. I had a Dodge 2500 crew cab that rode really nice for a 3/4 ton pickup. I would imagine the 1500 would ride nice as well and Dodge has a fuel management system that shuts down cylinders when cruising at highway speeds. Chevy Silverado's are pretty nice as well but they hold thier value so finding a good deal on used will be pretty tricky. Those are the only ones I have first hand expierience with. The Ford or Dodge will be more truck than you need and still pretty comfy for the family.

There's no place like home............

Nissan Titan is a bad ass truck if you can afford one. It has V8 but still gets decent mileage.

if you really dont need a full size truck, get a midsize. a dodge Dakota is a nice choice. and mid size should get better gas milage and I easier to park. I have a 2500 dodge crew cab(4 door) with an 8' bed, and it can be a pain in the ass in tight parking lots
    Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.

Nissan or Dodge
    Mike

Why tiptoe through life, only to arrive safely at death!

www.myspace.com/mikehoner
    http://www.pickeringsauto.com/index.htm
    I wish my lawn was emo so it would cut itself

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Get the Tundra CrewMax with the 5.7, I drove it and it's great. My Dakota Quad Cab 4.7 4WD doesn't get any better mileage than a full-size and has less ground clearance, it's just easier to park. Plus the Tundra has a HUGE cab, is only about 1' longer, and has that awesome electric vertical-sliding rear window like the olde station wagons.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

I absolutely LOVE my Ridgeline. Not as much "truck" as you'll get with others but it does the job I got it for.... (transporting bikes)

The ride is great (probably smoother than most other trucks). LOTS of space in the cab. Handles like a dream in snow.

If you don't want a true full size truck then I'd go Ridgeline hands down
    Jon

How much you looking to spend?
    How old of a truck are you looking for?

I love my 03 Dodge, but gas mileage is bad. But is is great to drive. No experience with the newer square F150s, but the older rounded models don't drive as nice as my Dodge. The Dodge models before mine were VERY truck like, but I am sure you could get them cheap.

The Ridgelines seem to be the most similar to a car. I liken them to a 3/4 full size truck that is a truck for a car person. Last time I looked at them, the spare tire was in the bed. Meaning if you had a flat, you would have to unload your truck to get the spare.

I liked the way my buddy's Titan rode, but I never drove it. Very nice truck overall.

I had a V6 single cab Dodge. I had to bury the gas pedal to get it to go. I actually get almost equal MPG with my HEMI and can tow a bunch more.

If you don't need a full size, look at a Colorado. I also looked at the Frontier's but would want a supercharged one, the natural aspirated version seemed VERY weak.
    The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    The Ridgelines seem to be the most similar to a car. I liken them to a 3/4 full size truck that is a truck for a car person. Last time I looked at them, the spare tire was in the bed. Meaning if you had a flat, you would have to unload your truck to get the spare.
    Yes, the spare is inside the TRUNK that's in the bed on a sliding rack for easy access. I'll take the convenience of the trunk over the rarity of a flat

Trunk doubles as a nice oversized cooler for those long weekends at Pueblo
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Player 2 View Post
    Trunk doubles as a nice oversized cooler for those long weekends at Pueblo
    I will take a cooler to use as a cooler.

I did see a picture of someone who had their kid bathing in it.

Like I said, it looked like a good truck for someone who really needs a car. But the spare thing would be a deal breaker for me. That and I was already in love with my gas guzzler when I was at the auto show.
    The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR

I dunno about bathing in it. I use it mostly as a trunk and it sure is quite nice to have.

I feel ya.. I'm a Honda guy so when they came out with the Ridgeline it was the next logical evolution for me. If I didn't get it I would have gone Toyota for sure
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by pg_rider View Post
    Looking to trade in our Grand Cherokee on a used pickup for bike hauling and general usefulness. Only thing is, 99.9% of the time the truck WON'T be used for hauling bikes around. So....

What is the most car-like truck out there that's got a nice big crew-cab for two kids and/or adults to ride in, gets decent mileage, quiet, etc? From what I've seen the following are all contenders:

Ford F150
    Chevy Silverado
    Toyota Tundra
    Nissan Titan
    Dodge Ram

Can you get any of these in a V6 but still with the crew cab? Don't need much HP, doesn't have to haul a boat or anything huge... Also considering a 2006 Honda Ridgeline -- any thoughts?
    Any 2001 or new Chevy 1500 is good. The older one are nice but have electrical problems(at least the ones we've got at my work do).

I've got a 02 1500 Silverado, Extended cab(seats 5 adults easy). As far as trucks being most car like. It's kind of hit and miss. The whole point of having a truck, is to not have a car. But if you want the ameneties of a car. I think Chevy beats them all(especially on loaded models). Ford's King Ranch and Dodge's Laramie's are good but pricey.

I have no experience with the Tundras or Titans. From what I've heard though, is that fuel mileage in either of them isn't the greatest. Ford is good and Dodge(depending on the motor 5.2 or 5.9) are o.k. I think the 5.2 in the Dodge's are a bit anemic and tend to work harder to move such a big truck, whereas the 5.9's are beasts. They do just fine and fuel mileage is about the same. Ford's 5.4's are case by case. Some do well on fuel, others suck(we've got one in our fleet as well that only gets about 13mpg in town and it's a 2 wheel drive even).

I think for your money and you're mileage get a Chevy. Mine consistently gets 15-19mpg in town, depending on my foot and where I'm going. Alot of stop and go, I end up on the bottom of that 15-19, but more running around town where I speeds are higher and not as many lights and I usually always get 17 or better. Which sounds bad, but you're moving a 5000lb+ truck with only a 5.3L V8. The little V8 does well and has plenty of power.

If you were to look at all the big 3's trucks with their entry level motors. I'd take a Chevy hands down. Vs. Ford's 5.4 and Dodge's 5.2, the Chevy 5.3 walks away from the other two.

Also on my .02 cents, I'd get a long bed. Yeah they suck to park, which is why you just get used to parking way out(I love it because no one parks next to me). Having a 8' bed rocks. There's nothing like hauling wood or sheetrock and being able to close the tailgate, making hauling motorcycles cake. You don't have to worry about leaving the tailgate down or putting it in sideways.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

I'm partial to F-150's. Don't expect good mileage from any of the traditional "1/2 tons".

Has delusions of Kawi grandeur konichd's Avatar

How about a Toyota Tacoma? Very nice pickup thats not full size but could easily pull a 2 bike trailer.
    303 Cycle | FaceBook | Twitter | Google Plus |

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz

Scott,

Not jumping in on this one?!?!

I have an 06 Titan and just LOVE it. Everytime I turn around I find something else I like about it. It is definatly a powerhouse of a V8 and can pull just about what ever you need to. As for the Gas MPG I get about 13.5-14 city, but thats with a SHORT 4 mile commute. I have gotten up to 19mpg highway but average around 17 with some city driving. I am sure you can get better city driving if you have a little bit longer of a commute to let her stretch her legs.

Edit* You can get them for decently cheap nowadays because of gas prices.
    Last edited by Fly boy; Wed Oct 29th, 2008 at 07:27 PM.

Oh, I wish I could see 17 in the city. I get 12.8 a tank.

Currently own an 02 Dodge Ram 1500 club cab w/ the 5.9L. It's a great truck. Comfy, powerful, and will go anywhere. I built a slide in chock platform for hauling bikes, but I have a short bed so I have to leave the tailgate down.

I'd echo the other opinions about the Dakota. If I had to do it over again, I may have waited until I found the Dakota I was looking for, but I got impatient and bought the ram. It's a PIA in small parking lots and downtown, and my MPG is around 14... but hey, that's why I own a motorcycle. My truck gets less that 8K miles put on it per year.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

i have a silverado thats a v-6 so yes on that one.
    "If you love something, let it go... If it comes back to you, you've just high sided!"

'01 GSXR 750~Scorpion Exhaust~Carbon rear wheel cover, chain guard, intake, mirrors and signals~Targa Windscreen