Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Triumph of Ignorance

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Triumph of Ignorance

An interesting article that I'm sure is going to quite literally piss off several of you...

http://www.outlookindia.com/full.asp...=monbiot&sid=1
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Pandora-11

Re: Triumph of Ignorance

I"m not sure we religious right types WILL get pissed off at stuff like this anymore. We have heard the arrogance of the left for so long that we don't even flinch at it. Until the left gets it, there can be nothing to be said in response to it. Just leave us in our "stupidity" and get out of our way. Your opinions about our beliefs are like water running off a duck's back and the fact that we don't care what the left thinks about it should one day make you all shut up. I have had the left's tire tracks over my face for years and I'm accustomed to it. I'll leave the diatribe and point by point analysis for The Black Knight. As for all the rest of the lefties who have the desire to agree with this. So...?
    Last edited by Pandora-11; Thu Oct 30th, 2008 at 05:04 PM.

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe View Post
    An interesting article that I'm sure is going to quite literally piss off several of you...

http://www.outlookindia.com/full.asp...=monbiot&sid=1
    Yep.

"In the South", Jacoby writes, "what can only be described as an intellectual blockade was imposed in order to keep out any ideas that might threaten the social order."
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Pandora-11

Case in point.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandora-11 View Post
    I"m not sure we religious right types WILL get pissed off at stuff like this anymore. We have heard the arrogance of the left for long that we don't even flinch at it. Until the left gets it, there can be nothing to be said in response it. Just leave us in our "stupidity" and get out of our way. Your opinions about our beliefs are like water running off a duck's back and the fact that we don't care what the left thinks about it should one day make you all shut up. I have had the left's tire tracks over my face for years and I'm accustomed to it. I'll leave the diatribe and point by point analysis for The Black Knight. As for all the rest of the lefties who have the gaul to agree with this. So...?
    So you live in Divide. Is that Intellectual Divide or where exactly is this place you call home?
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

Pandora-11

Case in point again.

I was hoping this was going to be an article about Triumph motorcycles (you know, this being the CSC and all)... even more so when I saw the origin, but nope...

not pissed, just disappointed.

Relating to the article, IMO...

Yet another article blaming the current state of stupidity in American on Christianity's influence on public education. Yeah, because it couldn't have anything to do with the decline in personal responsibility when it comes to an education. It couldn't have anything to do with the fact that parents have abandoned traditional parenting and family roles and expect the government to cater to them like suckling calves... nope, all Christianity's fault. Maybe if people would actually take more interest in an education and less in how many achievements their xbox character has, we might actually improve the current state of our educational system.

Another thing, maybe we should stop whitewashing our own history... I was talking to one of my professors about this a couple of weeks ago. One of the problems with our public education is that the two largest customers for text books are Texas and California... a classic blue/red clash. All of the CA liberals have anything that they don't want pulled from the social sciences books, and the TX conservatives do the same thing. What's left? A muddy, politically correct, downplayed version of our history that isn't fit to print. Unfortunately, everyone else has to deal with these forced edits and can't teach to actual history, just a politician's version... truly disappointing.

One more thing, I find it interesting that this article being written by someone in a country which is currently being ransacked by Fundamental Islam... splinter vs log buddy!
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

<snip> I have had the left's tire tracks over my face for years and I'm accustomed to it. <snip>
    I guess we can only hope for a burnout next time.

Pandora-11

Thanks Salsa!

Pandora-11

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja View Post
    I guess we can only hope for a burnout next time.

Hope you get what you want..it's ok, really.

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

blah blah Your opinions about our beliefs are like water[/b] blah blah
    Whoa there tiger. Let's go back to basic reading and comprehension for a moment, and note the part where I simply linked to an article published on ANOTHER website, written by ANOTHER person entirely separate from myself.

*I* expressed *NO* opinion in my post *WHATSOEVER*. All I said was the article was interesting, which it is, and that's it! Regardless of my personal stance on the validity of said article, I'm open minded enough to find it interesting -- even if it contradicts my own personal world view (which it may or may not, and is entirely irrelevant here).

Pull the stick out of your ass and see this thread for what it is supposed to be, a provocation of discussion, nothing more.

At least Salsa gave a logical counterpoint to the thing. Good job!

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Pandora-11

Whoa there tiger. Let's go back to basic reading and comprehension for a moment, and note the part where I simply linked to an article published on ANOTHER website, written by ANOTHER person entirely separate from myself.

*I* expressed *NO* opinion in my post *WHATSOEVER*. All I said was the article was interesting, which it is, and that's it! Regardless of my personal stance on the validity of said article, I'm open minded enough to find it interesting -- even if it contradicts my own personal world view (which it may or may not, and is entirely irrelevant here).

Pull the stick out of your ass and see this thread for what it is supposed to be, a provocation of discussion, nothing more.

As I stated, I would leave the analysis to others. Bad day and not up for the argument that never goes anywhere. Never said it was your opinion either. Talking to the author. It would take me hours to respond and Ill leave the thread. Just tired of the battle. Shouldn't have responded at all.
    Perhaps one day, I'll write just you a response, meanwhile, Christians are the most persecuted group in the world. Bring it on.

now with bi-turbo goodness Site Admin Mel's Avatar

Basic intelligence ftw

<snip>Christians are the most persecuted group in the world. Bring it on.
    First it's nasty Liberals leaving skid marks on your face and now it's the poor persecuted Christians being slamed. Too bad. Take your cross and go home

I'm a firm believer of the concept of The Separation of Church and State. I'll even go as far as to say: Keep your fucking church out of my State.

I'll even support the position by using the current example of the long fought battle of stem-cell research. So called believers maintain that it is against their religion to harvest embryonic stem-cells for scientific purposes. All I can say is I hope that said believers have a relative that is rotting away in a care facility suffering from Alzheimer's and a gangrenous case of bed sores. And that they also enjoy wallowing in their ignorance of not giving that human being a chance at a life by their position on the issue. Ignorance is bliss I guess but I refuse to take part in it and I'll be God Damned if these yo-yo's are going to legislate their morality down my throat.

Pandora-11

Well, that WAS my discussion. Sorry it didn't quite measure up to what YOU had in mind.

i have to say this rings of liberal talk radio. i am an independent, but i would say i tend to lean slightly more conservative. although i agree with some of that article i disagree with a lot of it. also i am NOT religeous, so that is not an agenda on my behalf. I have to admit i cannot wait till the election is over cause even though a lot of these threads are meant in a good way, or as an opening for a civil discussion they NEVER continue that way, which is why i never participate in them. this is one of perhaps 3 posts concerning election/politics that i have made.

dont mind me though, i just had to get that off my chest.

oh yeah and for the record i dont think either candidate is very intelligent.
    Last edited by jimwallace; Thu Oct 30th, 2008 at 07:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    and you did it!

the rest of us were just thinking it.

http://www.myspace.com/adrenalineaddiction24

01 zx9r
    99 r6 (race bike)

Pandora-11

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja View Post
    . All I can say is I hope that said believers have a relative that is rotting away in a care facility suffering from Alzheimer's and a gangrenous case of bed sores. And that they also enjoy wallowing in their ignorance of not giving that human being a chance at a life by their position on the issue. Ignorance is bliss I guess but I refuse to take part in it and I'll be God Damned if these yo-yo's are going to legislate their morality down my throat.
    Actually your wish is granted. My grandmother did die of Alzheimer's. It was really hard to bear. My mother cared for her until she was on the edge of her sanity and had to put her in a home because grandma tried to burn the house down on numerous occasions.
    My sister was diagnosed with Lou Gehring's( ALS )this year. She is 52 years old - a really decent and loving individual who is the last person who deserved this if anyone. Within the next year or two, which is what they're given her, she will literally be just a head whereby when her respiratory system muscles stop she will die.
    So, judge me for my beliefs all you want, I really have more important things to be concerned with.

I don’t buy the premise of this article. An uneducated populace has more to do with the individuals than their government or religion. My opinion is that the majority of the people of this nation believe they are entitled just because they live here.

You can see it in the wave of nationalism and the belief that our way has to be the best for everyone. And people who believe their way is the only way generally do not accept any ideas that might be contradictive, even if these other ideas have real merit.

You can see this in our elections. In 2000 there were many more qualified, better educated and capable republican candidates for president than Bush. So why did the republicans vote the way they did in the primary? Lots of reasons, but one that has always mystified me, Bush W was entitled because his father was president. I mean what is that? You can see this same effect with the Democrats and the Clinton campaign in 2008.

The general view by the rest of the world is that we are self important uneducated heavily armed Jethroes who couldn’t give a rat’s ass on anything 10 feet beyond our borders. So its easy to see why they are losing interest and moving on with their ideas of a unified planet.

I think we need to get off our collective high horse and become more accepting of the larger world out there before we go the way of the Romans
    Last edited by Snowman; Thu Oct 30th, 2008 at 08:02 PM.

MRA Racer No.427

Pandora-11

BTW Ninja, you sound so word by word like someone I used to love that it's eerie.
    Guess you can see why that relationship didn't work out, huh?

My assertation of the article was it's very slanted and bias. You can tell the person who wrote it, is very very left leaning. I might have given the author a bit more credit had it not been full of down the nose looking comments and slams at every chance of opportunity.

Basically all I took away from the article was: blah blah blah christians, creationist are stupid and the cause for the worlds problems, yadda yadda yadda if only "us" thinking Democrats were in charge, because we know it all, blah blah blah we're cool, we're badass. And that's about it.

I guess it's people like that, I just look at and just shake my head. It's almost to the point of being so unbelieveable that's it's laughable. Then again the writer is in Britain(probably British himself) so he harbors some dissent towards the US, for whopping them twice, bailing them out in WWII. Suffice to say he's entitled to his opinion and I'm just glad there's 3000+ miles in between US and THEM, just like it should be
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    I guess it's people like that, I just look at and just shake my head. It's almost to the point of being so unbelieveable that's it's laughable. Then again the writer is in Britain(probably British himself) so he harbors some dissent towards the US, for whopping them twice, bailing them out in WWII. Suffice to say he's entitled to his opinion and I'm just glad there's 3000+ miles in between US and THEM, just like it should be
    Case in point again.

MRA Racer No.427

Actually your wish is granted. My grandmother did die of Alzheimer's. It was really hard to bear. My mother cared for her until she was on the edge of her sanity and had to put her in a home because grandma tried to burn the house down on numerous occasions.
    My sister was diagnosed with Lou Gehring's( ALS )this year. She is 52 years old - a really decent and loving individual who is the last person who deserved this if anyone. Within the next year or two, which is what they're given her, she will literally be just a head whereby when her respiratory system muscles stop she will die.
    So, judge me for my beliefs all you want, I really have more important things to be concerned with.
    So what? What is your position on steam -cell research?

BTW Ninja, you sound so word by word like someone I used to love that it's eerie.
    Guess you can see why that relationship didn't work out, huh?
    Your past relationships are meaningless to me. The answer why the relationship didn't work out can only be found by taking a long hard look into the mirror in front of you.
    Last edited by Nick_Ninja; Thu Oct 30th, 2008 at 08:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    HAHAHA that's all I really took away from the article Snowman. I guess I'm simple.. HAHAHA

I laughed more than anything else.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."