Thread: Didn't realize "Joe the Plumber" was running for office!?

Didn't realize "Joe the Plumber" was running for office!?

I just had to grasp this for a second: A politician in Ohio that donated $2500 to the Obama campaign is now trying to do background checks on Joe the Plumber. Why? The mainstream media wants it to help Obama.
    Interesting, that the mainstream media never suggested doing a background check on Obama, but rather just turned the blind eye to ANYTHING that would negatively affect his campaign. This is what our Democracy has come to, a citizen that simply asks a question to a presidential candidate and is viciously attacked? WOW. The majority of the media did what they could to protect Obama, and went after Joe the Plumber's credibility. All the guy did was ask a question that the idiots in the media won't, and he gets smeared? Basically, you can just vote for Obama because that's what the media tells you to do, follow the sheep. Democracy? What Democracy? Personally, I don't think the media should have as much power in shaping society as they do.
    Last edited by MikeG; Fri Oct 31st, 2008 at 08:24 AM.
    Mike

Re: Didn't realize "Joe the Plumber" was running for office!?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
    I just had to grasp this for a second: A politician in Ohio that donated $25000 to the Obama campaign is now trying to do background checks on Joe the Plumber. Why? The mainstream media wants it to help Obama.
    Interesting, that the mainstream media never suggested doing a background check on Obama, but rather just turned the blind eye to ANYTHING that would negatively affect his campaign. This is what our Democracy has come to, a citizen that simply asks a question to a presidential candidate and is viciously attacked? WOW. The majority of the media did what they could to protect Obama, and went after Joe the Plumber's credibility. All the guy did was ask a question that the idiots in the media won't, and he gets smeared? Basically, you can just vote for Obama because that's what the media tells you to do, follow the sheep. Democracy? What Democracy? Personally, I don't think the media should have as much power in shaping society as they do.
    (First it is illegal for any individual to give that much money......the actual number is $2,500 according to ABC news. I know putting $25000 makes your point seem worse (typical right wing tactic, if it isn't "bad" enough for your purpose just make some bs up) I however will be give you the benefit of doubt and say it was a typo.)

LoL, they don't have any power in shaping society (for any one that actually uses their brain for more than taking up space in their head). The media simply pushes the stories the idiot Americans want to see. Now, seeing as you're not educated in the ways of "Joe the plumber" let me sit ya down on my knee and "give ya some learnen". Joe is not his name, he isn't a plumber, and he had no intention of buying any business (still owes some back taxes in another state). He asked a question of President... oh sorry, not yet Sen. Obama and Sen. Obama answered his question. No one after that knew who "Joe" aka Samuel Wurzelbacher was until the night of the 3rd debate when Sen. McSame brought up his name 22 times. Neither the media or Obama made this guy famous, or should I say infamous, Johny boy did. Of course we need to put some of that blame on Mr. Wurzelbacher himself, after all he was the one that approached Sen. Obama with cameras rolling, and then agreed to be a hack for McSame. I'm sure you also agree with the morons running McSames capaign in blaming the Obama team for "trashing" Joe the plumber. Which of course is total BS for the reasons already stated.

As far as looking into Sen. Obamas past... ffs you really need to stop watching Fox News and Hanity and check into the world of "reality". What aspect of Obamas past do you feel wasn't "checked"? Was it his association with Mr. Ayres? The same Mr. Ayres that sat on a board with many well known republicans including McSames #2 money donor? Or the Rev Wright who we heard non-stop about during the dem primary? Or is it the $800k given to ACORN during the dem primary (not general election) to get out the vote? Or is it the latest terrorist dejour Rashid Khalidi who John McSame gave almost $500k to: "A 1998 tax filing for the McCain-led group shows a $448,873 grant to Khalidi's Center for Palestine Research and Studies for work in the West Bank". Oh my god, McSame funded terroism!! I know it's easier to spew right wing shit than to educate yourself, but ffs at least give it a try.
    Last edited by AirAssault; Fri Oct 31st, 2008 at 02:41 AM.

Support the troops, bring them home

.. Democracy? What Democracy?
    Just and FYI we have a Republic not a Democracy.
    Someday someone my kill you with your gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because its empty.

A woman is like a motorcycle, both scream and get hot if ridden hard enough.

Wow Airassault you must really enjoy drinking the Kool-aid
    Someday someone my kill you with your gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because its empty.

A woman is like a motorcycle, both scream and get hot if ridden hard enough.

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Joe the so-called plumber, as he mis represented himself, is:

• A GOP stooge and useful idiot
    • the perfect pastor boy for the dysfunctional GOP
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Quote Originally Posted by Bebop View Post
    we have a Republic not a Democracy.
    The Republic of Boulder?

I initially heard it was $25,000, I researched it and found that you were correct that it was actually $2500 and edited my post to reflect that.

If you don't think that the media has influence over our society, then you my friend, as Bebop said, are chugging some kool aid. Take the cover stories of Us Weekly reporting on Michelle Obama versus Sarah Palin for instance. The cover page featuring Michelle Obama (06/19/0 is titled, “Why Barack Loves Her”, whereas the cover page featuring Sarah Palin (09/02/0 is titled, “Babies, Lies & Scandal”. You don't think that comes with an agenda? Or is that not educating myself? Just because the Obama campaign tells you via the media that Mccain is another Bush, you believe it. "Well Sen. Mccain voted 90% with the president". Yea, so did most Republicans, and so would most Democrats with a Democrat as president. On that note, what about Sen. Obama (Mr. Reach across the aisle) voting 97% with Democrats? A clear bi-partisan senator my ass. Let me remind you since you seem to have forgotten, this Democratic led congress, the one who took control last election, was supposed to bring so much change to the country, what change have they brought? Yet, we blame Bush everytime. Before the Democrats were in control of the House and the Senate, things were going pretty good economically. Now? You can decide.
    I have sort of drifted away from my main objective here, and I still think the media has attacked Joe the Plumber (BTW I do know the story, but I appreciate you drawing it out with crayons for me) and Sara Palin, yet given Obama the pass. The LA times has a tape and won't release it claiming it is protecting it's source. Whatever. I know its easier to spew left wing shit then to educate yourself, but when you're just so "dazzled" by someone I guess it remains difficult.

We are a constitutional republic with representative democracy
    Last edited by MikeG; Fri Oct 31st, 2008 at 09:04 AM.
    Mike

Didn't realize "Joe the Plumber" was running for office!?
    He's not running yet, just thinking about it.

http://briefingroom.thehill.com/2008...-for-congress/

It's his own damn fault, he could have just asked the question and gone back to his life. But no, he decided to become a campaign prop for McCain. And now he's hired a publicist, he's trying for a record deal and thinking about running for congress in Ohio.

Why are the media attacking McCain and Palin so much? Because they're running a fundamentally dishonest campaign. They can't run on issues, because the issues favor the dems. They have to run on lies and character assassination. The media, for once, are doing their job. They're supposed to attack and call bs on these assholes.

Douche Yearly Supporter Sortarican's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AirAssault View Post
    (..Or is it the latest terrorist dejour Rashid Khalidi who John McSame gave almost $500k to: "A 1998 tax filing for the McCain-led group shows a $448,873 grant to Khalidi's Center for Palestine Research and Studies for work in the West Bank"....
    Well not exactly McCain himself, but a group McCain sat on the board of as you later pointed out.
    And besides, Obama ate dinner in the same room with Khalidi....DINNER MAN!
    We all know that unless you're a whore you always meet terrorists for coffee on a first date.
    And you have your roomate call you 15 minutes into it in case you need an excuse to leave.

If you eat...the terrorists win!
    Because terrorism is funded by the consumption of Chiken Kiev and Poached Salmon not by money.

Wow Airassault you must really enjoy drinking the Kool-aid
    There's plenty being poured out on both sides.

...Before the Democrats were in control of the House and the Senate, things were going pretty good economically. Now? You can decide.....
    So you think all the bad paper leading to the housing bubble was written in the 8 month of Dem control preceeding the collapse?
    And it has nothing to do with the Rep controlled congress for the preceeding 6 years, or for that matter the Dem white house preceeding that?

The economy is in crisis for reasons going all the way back to the Regan years.
    Blame lays on both sides of the isle in congress, the doorstep of big business, and on the shoulders of the American people
    for overleveraging themselves and allowing the greed to go unchecked.

Like I said, plenty of kool-aid to go around.
    Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet.

Last edited by modette99; Mon Nov 7th, 2011 at 03:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by modette99 View Post
    I'm still not sure who would vote for Osama
    That shit got tired a few months ago... can't you come up with something better?
    Jon

Last edited by modette99; Mon Nov 7th, 2011 at 03:47 PM.

Right-Wing Nut-Job DavidofColorado's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Player 2 View Post
    That shit got tired a few months ago... can't you come up with something better?
    Still funny!!

I am shocked that that the liberals are counting correctly for once. They can't count and we figured it was just being progressive (retarded) so we let it go.

Drawing parodies is fun.
    "My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." Thomas Jefferson

Right-Wing Nut-Job DavidofColorado's Avatar

Blah blah blah back at you.
    "My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." Thomas Jefferson

Just and FYI we have a Republic not a Democracy.
    Myth: The U.S. is not a democracy.

Fact: The U.S. is a representative democracy in every branch of government.

Summary

The U.S. is a democracy -- just not a direct one. Every branch of our government -- executive, legislative, judicial, monetary -- ultimately derives its power from majority rule or approval. By making our democracy indirect instead of direct, the Founders prevented unrestrained mob rule, allowing a more reasonable pace of majority rule, and greater room for compromise.

Argument

Conservatives continually point out that America is not a democracy, but a constitutional republic. This is a quibble over definitions, because a constitutional republic is a type of democracy. Democracy comes in two forms: direct and republican. In a direct democracy, the people vote directly on proposed laws, and government (to the extent that it exists) serves only to put their laws into action. By contrast, a republic is a representative democracy, where laws are passed not by the people, but their elected representatives. Adding the term "constitutional" to the word "republic" is frivolous, since all nations have constitutions.

Why, then, do conservatives insist on this distinction? There are two reasons, both of them trivial. One is to embarrass those who make casual use of the term "democracy." Another is that conservatives are so hostile to democracy that they seek to deny its very name.

But a democracy we are. No matter which branch of government you look into, you'll find the fingerprints of democracy everywhere:

Congress: the people vote on their Senators and Representatives, who then vote on their laws.

The White House: the people vote on a slate of electors, who then vote for the president.

Supreme Court: nine justices vote on the constitutionality of laws.

Supreme Court justices: an elected president nominates a Supreme Court justice, who must pass a vote of confidence from the people's elected Senators.

Constitutional amendments: the people's elected representatives vote on the amendments, which must pass by a supermajority of elected state legislatures.

Cabinet appointees: an elected president nominates cabinet officials, who must pass a vote of confidence from the people's elected Senators.

The Federal Reserve: a board of Federal Reserve governors votes on monetary policy.

The Federal Reserve Board: an elected president nominates members to the Federal Reserve Board, who must pass a vote of confidence from the people's elected Senators.

Notice that a spectrum of democracy exists within these examples. On the more direct end lies the House of Representatives, which elects legislators from relatively small districts every two years. On the more republican end lies the Senate, which elects legislators from much larger states every six years. The extreme in republicanism is the Supreme Court, where the people's representatives elect justices to lifetime tenure.

Also notice that there is no such thing as a 100 percent direct democracy, since voters would be overwhelmed with the requirements of voting on the nuts and bolts of every government operation. Inevitably, democracy requires some degree of delegated authority. Still, the Founders feared more direct forms of democracy, since they believed -- with historical justification -- that they increased the volitility of mob rule, reduced the chances of compromise, allowed more uninformed legislation to pass, and were usually short-lived. Thus, they insisted on a more republican form of government. However, they also knew the danger of going too far in the opposite direction. Too republican, and representatives become impervious to the will of the people. The challenge in designing a democracy is to find the right balance between direct democracy and republicanism.

Ultimately, all democracies -- including republics -- operate at the consent of the majority. By making our democracy more indirect than direct, the Founders did not stop majority rule; they merely slowed it down somewhat. We could fine tune our position on this spectrum either way, of course, but we would have to go miles in the direction of republicanism before we were no longer a democracy.

Resident Hater Site Admin Canuck's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zetaetatheta View Post
    Myth: The U.S. is not a democracy.

Fact: The U.S. is a representative democracy in every branch of government.

Summary

The U.S. is a democracy -- just not a direct one. Every branch of our government -- executive, legislative, judicial, monetary -- ultimately derives its power from majority rule or approval. By making our democracy indirect instead of direct, the Founders prevented unrestrained mob rule, allowing a more reasonable pace of majority rule, and greater room for compromise.

Argument

Conservatives continually point out that America is not a democracy, but a constitutional republic. This is a quibble over definitions, because a constitutional republic is a type of democracy. Democracy comes in two forms: direct and republican. In a direct democracy, the people vote directly on proposed laws, and government (to the extent that it exists) serves only to put their laws into action. By contrast, a republic is a representative democracy, where laws are passed not by the people, but their elected representatives. Adding the term "constitutional" to the word "republic" is frivolous, since all nations have constitutions.

Why, then, do conservatives insist on this distinction? There are two reasons, both of them trivial. One is to embarrass those who make casual use of the term "democracy." Another is that conservatives are so hostile to democracy that they seek to deny its very name.

But a democracy we are. No matter which branch of government you look into, you'll find the fingerprints of democracy everywhere:

Congress: the people vote on their Senators and Representatives, who then vote on their laws.

The White House: the people vote on a slate of electors, who then vote for the president.

Supreme Court: nine justices vote on the constitutionality of laws.

Supreme Court justices: an elected president nominates a Supreme Court justice, who must pass a vote of confidence from the people's elected Senators.

Constitutional amendments: the people's elected representatives vote on the amendments, which must pass by a supermajority of elected state legislatures.

Cabinet appointees: an elected president nominates cabinet officials, who must pass a vote of confidence from the people's elected Senators.

The Federal Reserve: a board of Federal Reserve governors votes on monetary policy.

The Federal Reserve Board: an elected president nominates members to the Federal Reserve Board, who must pass a vote of confidence from the people's elected Senators.

Notice that a spectrum of democracy exists within these examples. On the more direct end lies the House of Representatives, which elects legislators from relatively small districts every two years. On the more republican end lies the Senate, which elects legislators from much larger states every six years. The extreme in republicanism is the Supreme Court, where the people's representatives elect justices to lifetime tenure.

Also notice that there is no such thing as a 100 percent direct democracy, since voters would be overwhelmed with the requirements of voting on the nuts and bolts of every government operation. Inevitably, democracy requires some degree of delegated authority. Still, the Founders feared more direct forms of democracy, since they believed -- with historical justification -- that they increased the volitility of mob rule, reduced the chances of compromise, allowed more uninformed legislation to pass, and were usually short-lived. Thus, they insisted on a more republican form of government. However, they also knew the danger of going too far in the opposite direction. Too republican, and representatives become impervious to the will of the people. The challenge in designing a democracy is to find the right balance between direct democracy and republicanism.

Ultimately, all democracies -- including republics -- operate at the consent of the majority. By making our democracy more indirect than direct, the Founders did not stop majority rule; they merely slowed it down somewhat. We could fine tune our position on this spectrum either way, of course, but we would have to go miles in the direction of republicanism before we were no longer a democracy.
    Thank you. You demonstrate that, a long time ago, (not trying to judge your age ) the public school system did their jobs with civic's education.
    Shame it's not like that anymore
    RIP Gene. You are a good friend that will be missed. I'm Gene Bazyl Bitch!!

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
    Thank you. You demonstrate that, a long time ago, (not trying to judge your age ) the public school system did their jobs with civic's education.
    Shame it's not like that anymore
    I didn't write that, but it is a good course in civics. BTW I am old enough to have had civics in school (when Americans were Americans first, not R's or D's), and you are right about it not being like that anymore.

Jeff, are you serious man? Obama was campaining in Joe's neighborhood and all he did was ask a question and what we got was a brief moment of honesty from Obama.

He's a citizen who asked a question about the likely president elect, yet the liberal media has beaten this guy up over it because questioning the mesiah is blasphemy!

-Clovis

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja View Post
    Joe the so-called plumber, as he mis represented himself, is:

• A GOP stooge and useful idiot
    • the perfect pastor boy for the dysfunctional GOP
    "If not us, who? If not now, when?"