Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "So who you voting for?" ... Solicitor annoyances

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

"So who you voting for?" ... Solicitor annoyances

Maybe it's just me, but I'm actually pretty annoyed at a guy who came to my door last night. He had a roster of names with him and knew mine, and said he was "just out campaigning". Now I had previously told a couple ladies door-knocking for a candidate that I was undecided and to leave it at that, so I don't know if he was from the same office or "the other guy's". What I found particularly obnoxious is that I told him that no, I hadn't voted yet, and yes I would be today. His next response was "Oh. So who are you gonna vote for?". Without skipping a beat, I told him it was none of his business, cut off his next sentence, and walked away.

I consider my right to vote privately as significant as my right to vote at all. It's not any candidate's business (or anyone else's for that matter) how I vote on any issue or position, and it seems rather underhanded to me to walk around asking people to publicize that information. Maybe I'm making more out of it than it is, but it's one thing to encourage me to decide a certain way. It's entirely another to ask me specifically how I would be deciding in a private vote, particularly with my personal information on a printed roster (meaning my answer gets recorded, and is no longer private).

*shrug* Just my pre-coffee Tuesday-morning rant, but I was just as annoyed about it last night too.

I should note that I have no idea which candidate this guy was promoting. I never let him get that far after he had the audacity to ask me something like that. I'm registered as independent just to leave 'em all in doubt as to my intentions anyway.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Re: "So who you voting for?" ... Solicitor annoyances

I agree...even being the typical Boulderite that I am (if you know me at all it's pretty obvious who I'm voting for), I really feel cornered when a stranger calls or comes to my door and asks if I have voted and whom for.

Seems like some of these people are getting pretty aggressive late in the campaign...can't wait for it to all be over!!!
    -Angela

Drive fast, take chances

"Holy shit, are you all girls?!?" -guy lost in the desert when Shelley, Becky,
    my sister, and I took our helmets off to give him directions

My response to a phone poll last night, asking who I voted/was voting for:

"None of your f*cking business. Kindly go f*ck yourself. >click<
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

It truly boggles the mind.

Privacy, and the right to it is a fundamental issue that faces our nation both presently and in coming years. The amount of data that is collected on us, as individuals, each day is astounding. From where we spend our money (tracking credit card usage) to what websites we surf or search for, to what we bought at the grocery store on our "club" card. It is an issue that candidates talk about and yet they have campaigns that seek to violate or test this privacy time and time again.

I'm lucky, I live in a little town where I've been solicited very little. The most memorable campaign worker was a gal campaigning for Betsy Markey. I turned it around on her and started making her answer the questions: "you obviously feel passionate about this, why are YOU devoting your time and energy to get this person elected?" "what factors drove you to this decision?" "what is the issue that you see most separates your candidate from her opponent?" It was an interesting conversation and one in which I learned that she had very little idea about the actual policies she was both supporting and opposing.

The other one that has struck me more this year than in other years is the sheer amount of mail I've been getting. "vote for or against these ammendments" blah blah blah. Campaigns that both have platforms based in environmental stewardship (in one way or another) sending out hundreds of thousands of heavy stock paper items, printed in full glossy color, all of which made their way straight to my recycle bin. I saw all of them at least twice, so I recycled a lot of paper this campaign season, and that's good, but wouldn't it have been better to not produce the waste to begin with?

How many people were actually swayed by these mailings?

How many people actually changed position based on a visit by a poll worker?

I'm happy that today marks the end of it.

s

Quote Originally Posted by RYBO View Post
    I'm happy that today marks the end of it.
    Hardly. It will only be a different news fest and a different feeding frenzy.

if Obama wins (I figure he will), do you think the news will report the first black man elected or will they report the first HALF black man elected? They will get several weeks out of that news story alone.

I am also sort of confused by the whole privacy thing. People put bumper stickers on cars, place $hit in their yards, wear hats, stickers, shirts, but want to use the secret privacy envelopes. I just don't get it.
    The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    Hardly. It will only be a different news fest and a different feeding frenzy.
    Yeah but all the solicitation will be over after today, which is what really annoys me.

I am also sort of confused by the whole privacy thing. People put bumper stickers on cars, place $hit in their yards, wear hats, stickers, shirts, but want to use the secret privacy envelopes. I just don't get it.
    Not all people smear their candidate's name across yards, t-shirts, houses, and cars. Good for you if you do, but I choose not to. Like I said, it's not usually a huge secret who someone's voting for but when a stranger accosts you at your front door or through the telephone by asking whom you voted for it feels a bit like an invasion of privacy.

Plus, the privacy envelopes serve the important purpose of preventing some jackass from just tossing out the votes for the candidate he doesn't want to win.
    -Angela

Drive fast, take chances

"Holy shit, are you all girls?!?" -guy lost in the desert when Shelley, Becky,
    my sister, and I took our helmets off to give him directions

The other one that has struck me more this year than in other years is the sheer amount of mail I've been getting. "vote for or against these ammendments" blah blah blah. Campaigns that both have platforms based in environmental stewardship (in one way or another) sending out hundreds of thousands of heavy stock paper items, printed in full glossy color, all of which made their way straight to my recycle bin. I saw all of them at least twice, so I recycled a lot of paper this campaign season, and that's good, but wouldn't it have been better to not produce the waste to begin with?

yup... swayed to build that fire pit in my backyard!

It is truly amazing, the bulk amount of junk mail I've been getting... maybe it's the norm but since I don't have a home phone and don't answer the front door, it's the only crap that shows up inside my house.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Douche Yearly Supporter Sortarican's Avatar

If you register with a party affiliation you get hassled by your party.
    If you register as an independent you get hassled by both parties.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Anyone else frightened by the estimated $10 a vote advertising budget for this election?

It truly boggles the mind......... and......and......and......I'm happy that today marks the end of it.
    s

Scott, how did Vance/Black Knight get ahold of your signon?
    That's the most I've seen you type in a year.
    Last edited by Sortarican; Tue Nov 4th, 2008 at 10:27 AM.
    Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet.

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

I've been solicited by both sides, by phone and in-person and I find it all annoying, but by far the most pushy and more prevalent are the Dems.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Sortarican View Post
    Scott, how did Vance/Black Knight get ahold of your signon?
    That's the most I've seen you type in a year.
    Sorry,

That's been building up for some time...

Also, if you want to see some real dissertations, check out some of my posts on oil.

Synthetc vs. Dino

"It says it's better, but can you believe it? It's not real, that's what synthetic means. So ask yourself, can you believe in it to protect your precious engine components? Will it be there hot and cold? Will it be reliable mile after mile? Dino oil, lubrication with a history!"

"Change is good, but not too often! Synthetic brings you the change you need, only when you need it. Consistent in properties, perfect in formulation, the new world answer to the old world problem of proper engine lubrication. Dino has gotten us this far, but it's outdated, a waste of resources and less efficient lubrication. Ask yourself how often you like change...then choose synthetic. Change you can believe in."

It truly boggles the mind.

s
    I think next election, I'm gonna keep all of the mailings, and the day before the election, weigh 'em. Whoever sent me the least garbage has a significant chance of getting my vote.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

AKA "Devaclis"

Don't register

/thread
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

I always answer the door with a glock on my hip and a shotgun easily at hand. That sort of spells it out for solicitors. Besides, if they are political solicitors, they already know who I am voting for.

You Deserve What You Accept
    Whatever, I didn't vote for him.

after reading this thread, I just got back from voting. I am glad to see that there are so many people, even in my small community, who care so much. I sure hope the guy I voted for wins, and the VPILF.

You Deserve What You Accept
    Whatever, I didn't vote for him.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Dub View Post
    after reading this thread, I just got back from voting. I am glad to see that there are so many people, even in my small community, who care so much. I sure hope the guy I voted for wins, and the VPILF.

You wanna bag Joe Biden?

Whatever floats your boat, but you really want his old wrinkled balls all over you?
    The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR

..., but you really want his old wrinkled balls all over you?
    That's what's called an old fashioned Delaware Tea Baggin!
    Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Dub View Post
    ***casts line***

You wanna bag Joe Biden?

Whatever floats your boat, but you really want his old wrinkled balls all over you?
    ***hooks 'em***

OK, who had 40 minutes on the "VPILF being Biden Pool"? I was out after 10...
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    OK, who had 40 minutes on the "VPILF being Biden Pool"? I was out after 10...

Hey, some doors have to be opened.

AKA "Devaclis"

I'll tell all of you who I voted for, for a beer
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but I'm actually pretty annoyed at a guy who came to my door last night.

And I would like to note, I was just about to fall asleep for my afternoon nap and a couple of ladies with their Obama shirts on rang my bell and got the dogs barking. Just so they could find out who I voted for.

All I've seen at my door are people totin Watchtower magazines =/
    "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
    - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Maybe it's just me, but I'm actually pretty annoyed at a guy who came to my door last night. blahblahblah[/Ralph]
    So Ralph...Who'd you vote for?
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MetaLord 9 View Post
    So Ralph...Who'd you vote for?
    Your mom.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Your mom.

Ahhhh, you voted the filthy whore party line this year too.