Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun permits questions:

Question Gun permits questions:

I'm sure I could find these answers online, but I am lazy. Thanks to anyone bored enough to answer my questions for me.

1. I want to get my CCW permit. What do I have to do? Take a class, right?

2. Would something like a misdemeanor (gun related) 10+ years ago in another state prohibit me from getting a CCW? Hypothetically of course.

3. What do I need to buy a gun in Colorado?

4. Where is a good place to go shoot in Northern Colorado?

Re: Gun permits questions:

5. Are there rules for transport of guns in Colorado? In Kalifornia any gun in a car had to be in a locked container (not just a trigger lock).

Has delusions of Kawi grandeur konichd's Avatar

1. Yes you need to take a certified class. I took mine for $150 at "The Shootist" here in Denver

2. It shouldn't prohibit you but could be a reason for denying you one. Also depending on jurisdiction you have to pay $20-@200(denver) just to get the paperwork.

3. Nothing really. You have to fill out the standard firearm form and wait for approval of your background check. Most gun shops it takes @ 30 minutes

4. ? Northies?

5. Don't know for sure, I think Hoopty posted up the rules once but I believe a vehicle is an extension of your home and you can have a firearm depending on county
    303 Cycle | FaceBook | Twitter | Google Plus |

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz

I'll do my best to answer your ?'s
    1. you do have to take a class and then get a background check, then get your permit from the sheriff
    2. I dont know the answer to that question
    3.you dont have to buy a gun here, you need the gun to be registered to you. and I do believe to buy a gun you have to show proof of resident for 6 months
    4. I will answer that one with a question indoors or outdoors. If indoors there a place in loveland just south of walmart. if outdoors pawnee is pretty popular (thats where I go)
    5. there are rules for where you can carry your gun and places you cant. The class will teach you most of those and how to find the answer to places you can or cannot carry. For example you cannot ccw in rocky mountain national park
    I hope that helps. also you can go to the shooting range by walmart and take the class and get alot of your questions answered, you can also goto sportsmans warehouse.
    Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.

LEFT CLICK

Dave, long-time personal friend, Peterson owns the Shootist and has been instrumental in providing facilities for shooters and CCW training for a long time.
    MSF-RiderCoach,TOTAL CONTROL Advanced Riding Clinic-Level 1/Level 2 Instructor

Ricky Orlando Motorcycle School,
    Rider Workshop-USA

Suspension Academy Graduate 1 + 1 = 3
    Writer, 2008 MRA Season Program-Feature Article, "The Colorado Sportbike Club"
    *Mngr., TerraNova Team Racing, MRA #112 Andrew Gillespie, Novice GTU Champion/Rookie of the Year-2007
    Member: AMA
    Red Cross--Disaster Assessment Team Captain, CPR, AED, First Aid, Veteran-USAF-K-9 Handler

Quote Originally Posted by sky_blue View Post
    I'm sure I could find these answers online, but I am lazy. Thanks to anyone bored enough to answer my questions for me.

1. I want to get my CCW permit. What do I have to do? Take a class, right?
    Make damn sure your instructor is certified. The sheriff will likely charge the max $100 and $52.50 to CBI.

2. Would something like a misdemeanor (gun related) 10+ years ago in another state prohibit me from getting a CCW? Hypothetically of course.
    Probably case by case. Best bet is to contact issuing dept. The 4473 seems more concerned with Felonies, domestic assault issues, restraining orders, and drug/alcohol problems.

3. What do I need to buy a gun in Colorado?
    For a FTF (face to face, private party) they will likely ask for an i.d. that proves you're a colorado resident, over 18. If you go to a store, gun show, or buy online and get it shipped, you need to go through a FFL (Federal Firearm licensee). That will require the Form 4473. http://www.atf.gov/forms/4473/ For those, you must have something that reflects your current address.

4. Where is a good place to go shoot in Northern Colorado?

5. Are there rules for transport of guns in Colorado? In Kalifornia any gun in a car had to be in a locked container (not just a trigger lock).
    I'm not positive about all aspects, but I think one of the few restrictions is you can't have a round in the chamber for rifles/shotguns. You can have pistols concealed for self protection even without a permit.

http://rmgo.org/faq/

I'll bet the website has a lower B.A.C. than me.

Dissconected from this world

Quote Originally Posted by chad23 View Post
    I'll do my best to answer your ?'s
    1. you do have to take a class and then get a background check, then get your permit from the sheriff
    2. I dont know the answer to that question
    3.you dont have to buy a gun here, you need the gun to be registered to you. and I do believe to buy a gun you have to show proof of resident for 6 months
    4. I will answer that one with a question indoors or outdoors. If indoors there a place in loveland just south of walmart. if outdoors pawnee is pretty popular (thats where I go)
    5. there are rules for where you can carry your gun and places you cant. The class will teach you most of those and how to find the answer to places you can or cannot carry. For example you cannot ccw in rocky mountain national park
    I hope that helps. also you can go to the shooting range by walmart and take the class and get alot of your questions answered, you can also goto sportsmans warehouse.

What registry? colorado has no gun owner registry just a ccw database.

http://www.loganco.gov/sheriff/permit.htm

That should be any and all info that you really need as for the CCW ordeal. As for legal policy on carrying it should be in there as well, but you can carry weapons in your car but you cannot have them loaded at anytime they are in the vehicle. Gun rack is preferred to eliminate any issues during a simple traffic stop. If you dont have you guns in plain sight and/or fail the officer of your weapons from the very beginning it can lead to issues you dont want to deal with, so if you dont have a rack the best offer you can do is "place both hands on the steering wheel before the officer gets to your car, when he gets there let him know right off the bat that you have weapons in the car"

This is just simply for the posession of the firearms which you DO NOT need a CCW for.

As for shooting places in northern colorado its very minimal due to needing a membership and everyone is tight to let theirs go due to the recent election decisions. y our best bet if you know anyone that owns land you can shoot on that land just as easy as shooting at a range.

My mom happens to file and approve all of the CCW paperwork for the county sheriff so if you have any questions regarding this topic that the website does not inform you or that you have questions about. Lemme know and i can give you my mothers ext. so that you can speak with her.. She will prolly be more reasonable then you calling Larimier sheriff or CBI or anyone around denver area.

Anyways lemme know if you need anything, and i hope that info is helpful for you.
    Last edited by BeoBe; Sat Nov 8th, 2008 at 06:12 AM.
    "If you love something, let it go... If it comes back to you, you've just high sided!"

'01 GSXR 750~Scorpion Exhaust~Carbon rear wheel cover, chain guard, intake, mirrors and signals~Targa Windscreen

Quote Originally Posted by MAZIN View Post
    What registry? colorado has no gun owner registry just a ccw database.
    If you purchase a firearm in the state of colorado it must/will be registered before you can take posession of this firearm.. If you buy your firearm 3rd party (from a friend) the gun will still be registered in their name until you have it registered under yours..
    "If you love something, let it go... If it comes back to you, you've just high sided!"

'01 GSXR 750~Scorpion Exhaust~Carbon rear wheel cover, chain guard, intake, mirrors and signals~Targa Windscreen

Quote Originally Posted by BeoBe View Post
    If you purchase a firearm in the state of colorado it must/will be registered before you can take posession of this firearm.. If you buy your firearm 3rd party (from a friend) the gun will still be registered in their name until you have it registered under yours..
    You don't have to register any firearm in the state of Colorado. Only thing that goes on file is who purchased the weapon. And in 36 hours(supposedly) that information is then deleted out of the system. So (supposedly) all of your information is not even existing right now if you've purchased a firearm from a store. However, we all know the ATF loves to keep records of just about everything.

But in Colorado you are not required to register a gun in order to have it in your possession. I have no permits for any of my guns. All I've done is pass the background check and buy my firearm, then walk out the store.

Only thing in Colorado you need a permit for is CCW. Or full-automatic weapons.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post

1. But in Colorado you are not required to register a gun in order to have it in your possession. I have no permits for any of my guns. All I've done is pass the background check and buy my firearm, then walk out the store.

2. Only thing in Colorado you need a permit for is CCW. Or full-automatic weapons.
    State of Colorado Firearm Laws1

• No licensing or registration requirements related to firearm purchase or possession.
    You are correct and i apologize.

2. Wrong. To carry and conceal any weapon ie: Handuns you must have a CCW Permit to carry that weapon and must be on you at all times. so you yourself are 50% wrong. So i suggest before you bark about lies to someone you make sure your facts are in fact correct

A permit to carry a concealed handgun authorizes the permittee to carry a concealed handgun in all areas of the state except as specifically limited as follows:
    As for the end of what you said on that one, no you do not have to have a CCW permit to be in posession of the firearm, but in order to conceal any weapon you must have a CCW permit.

18-12-214 Authority granted by permit - carry restrictions.
    (1) (a) A permit to carry a concealed handgun authorizes the permittee to carry a concealed handgun in all areas of the state, except as specifically limited in this section. A permit does not authorize the permittee to use a handgun in a manner that would violate a provision of state law. A local government does not have authority to adopt or enforce an ordinance or resolution that would conflict with any provision of this part.

(b) A peace officer may temporarily disarm a permittee, incident to a lawful stop of the permittee. The peace office shall return the handgun to the permittee prior to discharging the permittee from the scene.

(2) A permit issued pursuant to this part does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun into a place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law.

(3) A permit issued pursuant to this part does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun onto the real property, or into any improvements erected thereon, of a public elementary, middle, junior high, or high school; except that:

(a) A permittee may have a handgun on the real property of the public school so long as the handgun remains in his or her vehicle and, if the permittee is not in the vehicle, the handgun is in a compartment within the vehicle and the vehicle is locked.

(b) A permittee who is employed or retained by contract by a school district as a school security officer may carry a concealed handgun onto the real property, or into any improvement erected thereon, of a public elementary, middle, junior high, or high school while permittee is on duty.

(c) A permittee may carry a concealed handgun on undeveloped real property owned by a school district that is used for hunting or other shooting sports.

(4) A permit issued pursuant to this part does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun into a public building at which:

(a) Security personnel and electronic weapons screening devices are permanently in place at each entrance to the building;

(b) Security personnel electronically screen each person who enters the building to determine whether the person is carrying a weapon of any kind; and

(c) Security personnel require each person who is carrying a weapon of any kind to leave the weapon in possession of security personnel while the person is in the building.

(5) Nothing in this part shall be construed to limit, restrict, or prohibit in any manner the existing rights of a private property owner, private tenant, private employer, or private business entity.

(6) The provisions of this section apply to temporary emergency permits issued pursuant to section 18-12-209.
    Last edited by BeoBe; Sat Nov 8th, 2008 at 08:12 AM.

State of Colorado Firearm Laws1

• No licensing or registration requirements related to firearm purchase or possession.
    You are correct and i apologize.

2. Wrong. To carry and conceal any weapon ie: Handuns you must have a CCW Permit to carry that weapon and must be on you at all times. so you yourself are 50% wrong. So i suggest before you bark about lies to someone you make sure your facts are in fact correct

As for the end of what you said on that one, no you do not have to have a CCW permit to be in posession of the firearm, but in order to conceal any weapon you must have a CCW permit.
    Actually I recommend that you might actually read what someone is saying before jumping on them for barking lies. Yeah I am right about not having to register a firearm.

I'm also right about the CCW. While I never said you had to have a CCW in order to own a firearm. I did say this, "Only thing in Colorado you need a permit for is CCW. Or full-automatic weapons". Am I lying???? Am I wrong??? NO, because we were talking about permits and registration. And when talking about what kind of permits are out there, then YES I am RIGHT about CCW. It "IS" a permit that you must obtain, before you carry your weapon concealed. Never said you needed it to buy a weapon, only that as far as permits go, CCW's are required permits in order for concealed carry.

So I'm right on all accounts. You just mis-read me for trying to talk smack, which I don't know how you came up with that. But whatever...

If you want to get technical as far as CCW's are concerned, you are in fact wrong in your statement that it must be on you at all times. WRONG!!! You DO NOT need or are required to have a CCW if you carry concealed in your OWN house, on your OWN property/land or in your OWN place of business...
    http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/COSL.pdf

or

18-12-214. Authority granted by permit - carrying restrictions.

(5) Nothing in this part 2 shall be construed to limit, restrict, or prohibit in any manner the existing rights of a private property owner, private tenant, private employer, or private business entity.
    (6) The provisions of this section apply to temporary emergency permits issued pursuant to section 18-12-209.
    Last edited by The Black Knight; Sat Nov 8th, 2008 at 09:32 AM.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

Legal to carry a loaded pistol or revolver in your vehicle while "traveling" in the state of Colorado, with or without a CWP:

18-12-105. Unlawfully carrying a concealed weapon - unlawful possession of weapons.

(1) A person commits a class 2 misdemeanor if such person knowingly and unlawfully:

(a) Carries a knife concealed on or about his or her person; or

(b) Carries a firearm concealed on or about his or her person; or

(c) Without legal authority, carries, brings, or has in such person's possession a firearm or any explosive, incendiary, or other dangerous device on the property of or within any building in which the chambers, galleries, or offices of the general assembly, or either house thereof, are located, or in which a legislative hearing or meeting is being or is to be conducted, or in which the official office of any member, officer, or employee of the general assembly is located.

(d) (Deleted by amendment, L. 93, p. 964, § 1, effective July 1, 1993.)

(2) It shall not be an offense if the defendant was:

(a) A person in his or her own dwelling or place of business or on property owned or under his or her control at the time of the act of carrying; or

(b) A person in a private automobile or other private means of conveyance who carries a weapon for lawful protection of such person's or another's person or property while traveling; or

(c) A person who, at the time of carrying a concealed weapon, held a valid written permit to carry a concealed weapon issued pursuant to section 18-12-105.1, as it existed prior to its repeal, or, if the weapon involved was a handgun, held a valid permit to carry a concealed handgun or a temporary emergency permit issued pursuant to part 2 of this article; except that it shall be an offense under this section if the person was carrying a concealed handgun in violation of the provisions of section 18-12-214; or

(d) A peace officer, as described in section 16-2.5-101, C.R.S., when carrying a weapon in conformance with the policy of the employing agency as provided in section 16-2.5-101 (2), C.R.S.; or
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

more....
    18-12-105.6. Limitation on local ordinances regarding firearms in private vehicles.

(1) The general assembly hereby finds that:

(a) A person carrying a weapon in a private automobile or other private means of conveyance for hunting or for lawful protection of such person's or another's person or property, as permitted in sections 18-12-105 (2) (b) and 18-12-105.5 (3) (c), may tend to travel within a county, city and county, or municipal jurisdiction or in or through different county, city and county, and municipal jurisdictions, en route to the person's destination;

(b) Inconsistent laws exist in local jurisdictions with regard to the circumstances under which weapons may be carried in automobiles and other private means of conveyance;

(c) This inconsistency creates a confusing patchwork of laws that unfairly subjects a person who lawfully travels with a weapon to criminal penalties because he or she travels within a jurisdiction or into or through another jurisdiction;

(d) This inconsistency places citizens in the position of not knowing when they may be violating local laws while traveling within a jurisdiction or in, through, or between different jurisdictions, and therefore being unable to avoid committing a crime.

Basically, local jurisdiction is trumped my state law....
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Um no, the thing about registrations (for states that have them) is that you must take it to the count sheriff and register it within the county you live in. What you are refering to is the CBI background check ATF form 4473, which btw they say is only held in their database for 24-48 hrs. I have worked in gun shops and have went to smithing school, also I'am a NRA Instructor for PPIH,PPOH,Shotgun,Handgun (aka ccw for co), Also I'm an RSO. I do have knowlege in this area. What I love is all the speculation about this, just remember that clerk that you had bought your gun from that knew everything was most likely a video clerk the week before.
    Last edited by MAZIN; Sat Nov 8th, 2008 at 12:35 PM.

OK you guys. Time to settle this one the honorable way.

Last edited by pilot; Sat Nov 8th, 2008 at 12:20 PM. Reason: fark, I can't believe i posted a picture with KATZ in it.
    MSF-RiderCoach,TOTAL CONTROL Advanced Riding Clinic-Level 1/Level 2 Instructor

Ricky Orlando Motorcycle School,
    Rider Workshop-USA

Suspension Academy Graduate 1 + 1 = 3
    Writer, 2008 MRA Season Program-Feature Article, "The Colorado Sportbike Club"
    *Mngr., TerraNova Team Racing, MRA #112 Andrew Gillespie, Novice GTU Champion/Rookie of the Year-2007
    Member: AMA
    Red Cross--Disaster Assessment Team Captain, CPR, AED, First Aid, Veteran-USAF-K-9 Handler

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    Actually I recommend that you might actually read what someone is saying before jumping on them for barking lies. Yeah I am right about not having to register a firearm.

I'm also right about the CCW. While I never said you had to have a CCW in order to own a firearm. I did say this, "Only thing in Colorado you need a permit for is CCW. Or full-automatic weapons". Am I lying???? Am I wrong??? NO, because we were talking about permits and registration. And when talking about what kind of permits are out there, then YES I am RIGHT about CCW. It "IS" a permit that you must obtain, before you carry your weapon concealed. Never said you needed it to buy a weapon, only that as far as permits go, CCW's are required permits in order for concealed carry.

So I'm right on all accounts. You just mis-read me for trying to talk smack, which I don't know how you came up with that. But whatever...

If you want to get technical as far as CCW's are concerned, you are in fact wrong in your statement that it must be on you at all times. WRONG!!! You DO NOT need or are required to have a CCW if you carry concealed in your OWN house, on your OWN property/land or in your OWN place of business...
    http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/COSL.pdf

or

18-12-214. Authority granted by permit - carrying restrictions.

(5) Nothing in this part 2 shall be construed to limit, restrict, or prohibit in any manner the existing rights of a private property owner, private tenant, private employer, or private business entity.

BK is correct BTW full auto is considered a class 3 weapon and buyer needs to pay an atf tax stamp and also register it in the county in which they live (only time a registration is needed) also you must be willing to have a full inspection of that weapon when ever LEO request it (ie Knock Knock can I see your weapon please)

Quote Originally Posted by pilot View Post
    OK you guys. Time to settle this one the honorable way.

lmao nice...

Also just some advise, if you have your ccw and you get pulled over by LEO. Even of you are not carrying give him your ccw along with all the normal info. There is a database that will show you have a CCW and its a matter of putting that LEO at ease with you also generally a polite thing to do.

Resident Hater Site Admin Canuck's Avatar

BK is correct BTW full auto is considered a class 3 weapon and buyer needs to pay an atf tax stamp and also register it in the county in which they live (only time a registration is needed) also you must be willing to have a full inspection of that weapon when ever LEO request it (ie Knock Knock can I see your weapon please)
    That is correct. An FFL, is needed and it is expensive, hence the reason why most do not get this license.
    RIP Gene. You are a good friend that will be missed. I'm Gene Bazyl Bitch!!

but what a blast it would be man, would love a mp5

Resident Hater Site Admin Canuck's Avatar

Isn't the cost of an MP5 (used of course) around $7K?
    RIP Gene. You are a good friend that will be missed. I'm Gene Bazyl Bitch!!

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
    That is correct. An FFL, is needed and it is expensive, hence the reason why most do not get this license.
    The other thing that does suck but comes with the territory of an FFL is once you've paid the price. You basically have to wave your 4th Amendment. Once you become a FFL holder or Dealer, you come under the jurisdiction of the BATFE(Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives) alphabet soup guys. The ATF can then perform random and un-announced searches of your property or dwelling where you have your guns. They can also search your home at will and you MUST keep very meticulous records because they love to check and cross reference.

Having an FFL is nice because you can order guns pretty much at wholesale. The downside is, you've just become the next RED FLAG in the system for the ATF to watch. I think unless you plan on selling weapons to make some money on the side or just start your own small shop it's one thing to have a FFL(plus it's required for a gun shop), but the Con's vastly outweigh the Pro's when it comes to FFL's, in my opinion....
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"

And if I remember correctly on the Full Auto registration, is it can only be registered to the County you live in. i.e. El Paso County, and that you cannot leave the county with the weapon without notifying your local sheriff of the fact you're going to travel with it.

I even heard, that once you notify them of your plans to travel. You need to give them a rough estimate of the destination you'll be going to. So they can notify other county sheriffs of the fact that they will have a full auto owner traveling through their jurisdiction.

The restraints put on owning full auto's can get old and the hoops are endless. Thin ice for the rest of the time you own the weapon. Also you cannot sell a Class 3 full auto to someone who does not have a Class 3 permit. You can only sell it to a dealer/FFL or another Class 3 holder. And if memory serves me correct, if it's to another private class 3 it must be done in the presence of a sheriff(but don't quote me on that one).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"