Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The ride in today

AKA "Devaclis"

The ride in today

Was awesome except for....................

Fucking Colorado drivers. Oooh! Look! White stuff!! I must drive erratically and either waaaay over or waaaaay under the limit. I saw 3 wrecks on my 8 mile ride in. All of them were easily avoided. The roads were not slick nor was visibility an issue (YAY thumb squeegee!! )

The only slick conditions, for me, were in the tech center approaching my office. It was a little squirly going up a couple of the hills but the bike did pretty well.

My gear was pretty warm too. Thermals top and bottom, jeans, long sleeve shirt, jacket liner,leather jacket, balaclava, new HJC snowmobile gloves.

Piicked up a set of HJC Storm gloves from www.denniskirk.com. They rock in the cold, are not bulky, are nice and warm, fit well, have a built in thumb squeegee, and were CHEAP!!!

I tried to film the ride in but my lense froze up before I got out of my neighborhood
    Last edited by Devaclis; Fri Nov 14th, 2008 at 08:17 AM.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Gold Member Yearly Supporter Sully's Avatar

Re: The ride in today

YOU ARE CRAZY !!!!! Be safe out there meng !

And yes, Colorado drivers are STOOOOOOPID !... this is for the dumba$$ who did a U-turn right in front of me last night... Fucktard !
    Glitter Factory Racing
    MRA #415

Sol Performance - Pirelli Tires

Gold Member Yearly Supporter McVaaahhh's Avatar

Be safe out there Dana.

The main reason I would never ride in these conditions (other than I hate the fuggin cold) is I'd be paranoid about the retards out there when the roads are not 100% perfect.
    '02 RC-51 - Street
    '05 Pitster Pro 125 - Pitbike madness

Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to kill everyone you meet.

"Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride."
    ~Dave Karlotski

AKA "Devaclis"

Yeah, the other drivers are what normally pull me off the road and into a car. I have 3 routes I take to work and vary them based on condition and traffic. Hell, least year I rode the sidewalk all the way down University from County Line to Belleview just to stay out of traffic. The sidewalks were actually clear and salted and the roads were covered hahaha
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

nice...... were you plowing down the grannies with their walkers on the sidewalk ?
    Glitter Factory Racing
    MRA #415

The Colorado drivers are fine. There just aren't that many of us. It is all the idiots who have moved here from somewhere else and cant drive in Colorado conditions.
    13 BMW F800GS, 01 Suzuki DRZ 400S
    "It's not about the destination. It's about the ride"
    www.colorado2wheels.com

AKA "Devaclis"

There were NO grannies out that day. It was about 11 degrees out and snowing like a mother father!!! I remember getting to work and my bike temp was showing 122 LOL

Has delusions of Kawi grandeur konichd's Avatar

P-locks FTW!
    303 Cycle | FaceBook | Twitter | Google Plus |

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz

AKA "Devaclis"

Dude, David, I need that sign

Douche Yearly Supporter Sortarican's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Devaclis View Post
    ..I must drive erratically and either waaaay over or waaaaay under the limit....

... It was a little squirly going up a couple of the hills but the bike did pretty well....
    Like George Carlin said:
    "Anyone that drives slower than you is an idiot, anyone that drives faster than you is a maniac!

BTW,
    How are the new tires? (Forgot the brand)
    A little better than pure sports?

.... Hell, least year I rode the sidewalk all the way down University from County Line to Belleview just to stay out of traffic.....
    LOL, I've riden the sidewalk on that stretch before too (Orchard to Belleview).
    Except I did it in good weather just to bypass traffic.
    Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet.

Quote Originally Posted by konichd View Post
    P-locks FTW!
    Polacks.......morons......six of one, half dozen the other.
    Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet.

AKA "Devaclis"

I have a Dunlop Roadsmart on the front and it is doing VERY well. I still have a 208 on the back but that will be replaced shortly. It was a bit slick today but I did do a burnout at University and Dry Creek to heat it up a bit

I do not think it matters a whole lot what kind of tire you are on when it is really cold and slushy/icy (unless it is a studded tire). In my experience it has more to do with how you ride. Give yourself a LOT of room and be as smooth as you can in every aspect of riding (shifting, cornering, accelerating, breaking). I will also play with the bike a lot when there is light traffic to see what it's limits of traction are and how it handles in different conditions. Try to keep the surprises to a minimum.

I will say that being a little bit crazy and having great insurance also help a lot. I am not worried about dumping the bike, just worried about not having a bike to ride this winter if I DO dump it.

AKA "Devaclis"

Quote Originally Posted by Sortarican View Post
    Polacks.......morons......five of one, bakers dozen the other.
    fixed for the troof!!

Was awesome except for....................

Fucking Colorado drivers. Oooh! Look! White stuff!! I must drive erratically and either waaaay over or waaaaay under the limit.

Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    And yes, Colorado drivers are STOOOOOOPID !... this is for the dumba$$ who did a U-turn right in front of me last night... Fucktard !
    You all came from somewhere else and brought the rest of the country's fucked up driving skills and dumped it on us and then somehow we are the bad drivers?
    Quote Originally Posted by gregs04wrx View Post
    The Colorado drivers are fine. There just aren't that many of us. It is all the idiots who have moved here from somewhere else and cant drive in Colorado conditions.
    Indeed!

AKA "Devaclis"

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    You all came from somewhere else and brought the rest of the country's fucked up driving skills and dumped it on us and then somehow we are the bad drivers?

Indeed!
    I did not say CO Natives, just CO drivers in general

I grew up in the snow and ice, but I am not from 'round these here parts. The snow here is minimal compared to the North East. Lake Effect Snow FTL But we learned how to drive in that shit. Here, 3 flakes = school closing, car wrecks, emergency shutdowns, GETOUTTHEMAGCHLORIDEOHNOITISSNOWING!!!!

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

I did not say CO Natives, just CO drivers in general

I grew up in the snow and ice, but I am not from 'round these here parts. The snow here is minimal compared to the North East. Lake Effect Snow FTL But we learned how to drive in that shit. Here, 3 flakes = school closing, car wrecks, emergency shutdowns, GETOUTTHEMAGCHLORIDEOHNOITISSNOWING!!!!
    Salt & sand was waaay better than MgCl26H2O

It puts the rust on my Pioneer tags.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

+1 on the graduates of the Chicken Little School of Winter Driving

I drove today, because the moisture in the air apparently causes neural corrosion in most driver's brains, causing them to crash into the nearest other vehicle/guardrail/light pole/bridge abutment/what the hell ever. WTF ever happened to Driver's Ed?
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

....I grew up in the snow and ice..... The snow here is minimal compared to the North East. Lake Effect Snow FTL But we learned how to drive in that shit...
    +1
    Colorado drivers just THINK they know how to winter drive.
    Granted they're better than the Texans and Californians, but I spent 1/3 of my life in the rust belt and 2/3's here.
    I'd put an 80 year old rust belt native in an rear wheel drive Ford POS up against
    a Colorado housewife in an SUV land yacht any winters day.

Yeah I got out onto the roads in the car and just went "Fuck, I shoulda ridden today." It was only wet. I saw two patches of slush all the way in. Of course people were driving with their heads up their asses too. If you're getting passed by a damn mustang, the weather's not that bad & you're going to fucking slow. /rant.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

The first couple snows weed out the weak and stupid, causing them to crash. Things will get better.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Dana you so crazy.

Be carefull.
    http://www.rapidfirebunker.com
    $15 FFL TRANSFERS. $15 Private Transfers
    Emergency Preparedness Store, Survival BULK Food, knives, Guns, Ammo, FREEDOM

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post

Indeed!
    Uhhhh no Bueller .. I'm a native and know how to frikken drive... It's the transplants that don't know what the fuck is up... seriously !... kthxbye...
    Glitter Factory Racing
    MRA #415

I agree. It was a pretty nice ride in this morning. With the wind blowing and pushing the bike around it was a bit puckering at some of the wetter looking spots but there wasn't a bit of sliding.

With the gerbings heated gloves and jacket liner, I was toasty warm

Carl

Long Distance Gear Checklist 2002 Hayabusa - Now with 100,000+ miles!

AKA "Devaclis"

If I had a longer commute I would get the heated gear. I have not had the need just yet. No wind down there today which is good. It actually looks like the roads are drying up in the tech Center.