Thread: Multiple Store Closings. Check the list.

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter 64BonnieLass's Avatar

Multiple Store Closings. Check the list.

Is your favorite store closing? It very well could be. Here's a list of stores closing or anticipating closure as of Nov 2008. There could be some discrepancies, but the warning to use your gift cards while you can is probably a good one!

STORE CLOSINGS AND LAYOFFS
    If you have gift cards, hurry up and use them!!
    Just passing this along - FYI

Ann Taylor closing 117 stores nationwide A company spokeswoman said the company hasn't revealed which stores will be shuttered. It will let the stores that will close this fiscal year know over the next month.

Eddie Bauer to close more stores
    Eddie Bauer has already closed 27 shops in the first quarter and plans to close up to two more outlet stores by the end of the year.

Cache closing stores
    Women's retailer Cache announced that it is closing 20 to 23 stores this year.

Lane Bryant, Fashion Bug, Catherines closing 150 stores nationwide
    The owner of retailers Lane Bryant, Fashion Bug, Catherine's Plus
    sizes will close about 150 underperforming stores this year.
    The company hasn't provided a list of specific store closures and can't say when it will offer that info, spokeswoman Brooke Perry said today.

Talbots & J. Jill closing stores
    About a month ago, Talbots announced that it will be shuttering all 78 of its kids and men's stores. Now the company says it will close another 22 underperforming stores.. The 22 stores will be a mix of
    Talbots women's and J. Jill , another chain it owns. The closures will occur this fiscal year, according to a company press release.

Gap Inc. closing 85 stores
    In addition to its namesake chain, Gap also owns Old Navy and Banana Republic . The company said the closures - all planned for fiscal 2008 - Will be weighted toward the Gap brand.

Foot Locker to close 140 stores
    In the company press release and during its conference call with analysts today, it did not specify where the future store closures -
    all planned in fiscal 2008 - will be. The company could not be immediately reached for comment

Wickes is going out of business
    Wickes Furniture is going out of business and closing all of its stores, Wickes, a 37-year-old retailer that targets middle-income customers, filed for bankruptcy protection last month.

Goodbye Levitz / BOMBAY - closed already
    The furniture retailer, which is going out of business. Levitz first announced it was going out of business and closing all 76 of its stores in December. The retailer dates back to 1910 when Richard Levitz </ FONT>opened his first furniture store in Lebanon , PA. In the 1960s, the warehouse/showroom concept brought Levitz to the forefront of the furniture industry. The local Levitz closures will follow the shutdown of Bombay .

Zales, Piercing Pagoda closing stores
    The owner of Zales and Piercing Pagoda previously said it plans to close 82 stores by July 31. Today, it announced that it is closing another 23 underperforming stores. The company said it's not providing a list of specific store closures. Of the 105 locations planned for closure, 50 are kiosks and 55 are stores.

Disney Store owner has the right to close 98 stores The Walt Disney
    Company announced it acquired about 220 Disney Stores from subsidiaries of The Children's Place Retail Stores. The exact number of stores acquired will depend on negotiations with landlords. Those subsidiaries of Children's Place filed for bankruptcy protection in late March. Walt Disney in the news release said it has also obtained the right to close about 98 Disney Stores in the U.S. The press release didn't list those stores.

Home Depot store closings ( E. Brunswick , Rt 18 just put up their closing sign)
    ATLANTA - Nearly 7+ months after its chief executive said there were no plans to cut the number of its core retail stores, The Home Depot Inc. announced Thursday that it is shuttering 15 of them amid a slumping U..S. economy and housing market. The move will affect 1,300 employees. It is the first time the world's largest home improvement store chain has ever closed a flagship store for performance reasons. Its shares rose almost 5 percent. The Atlanta-based company said the underperforming U.S. stores being closed represent less than 1 percent of its existing stores. They will be shuttered within the next two months.

CompUSA (CLOSED) clarifies details on store closings Any extended warranties purchased for products through CompUSA will be honored by a third-party provider, Assurant Solutions. Gift cards, rain checks, and rebates purchased prior to December 12 can be redeemed at any time during the final sale. For those who have a gadget currently in for service with CompUSA, the repair will be completed and the gadget will be returned to owners.

http://www.kez999.com/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9834177-7html

<http://www.kez999.com/exchweb/bin/re...7-7.html%253e;

Macy 's - 9 stores
    Linens-N-Things - all stores
    Mervyns - all stores

Movie Gallery - 160 stores as part of reorganization plan to exit bankruptcy. The video rental company plans to close 400 of 3,500 Movie Gallery and Hollywood Video stores in addition to the 520 locations the
    video rental chain closed last fall.

Pacific Sunwear - 153 Demo stores

Pep Boys - 33 stores

Sprint Nextel - 125 retail locations New Sprint Nextel CEO Dan Hesse appears to have inherited a company bleeding subscribers by the thousands, and will now officially be dropping the ax on 4,000 employees and 125 retail locations. Amid the loss of 639,000 postpaid customers in the fourth quarter, Sprint will be cutting a total of 6.7% of its work force (following the 5,000 layoffs last year) and 8% of company-owned brick-and-mortar stores, while remaining mute on other rumors that it will consolidate its headquarters in Kansas . Sprint Nextel shares are down $2.89, or nearly 25%, at the time of this writing.

J. C. Penney, Lowe's and Office Depot are scaling back

Ethan Allen Interiors: The Company announced plans to close 12 of 300+ stores in an effort to cut costs.

Wilsons the Leather Experts - 158 stores

Pacific Sunwear will close its 154 Demo stores after a review of strategic alternatives for the urban-apparel brand. Seventy-four underperforming Demo stores closed last May.

Sharper Image: The company recently filed for bankruptcy protection and announced that 90 of its 184 stores are closing. The retailer will still operate 94 stores to pay off debts, but 90 of these stores have performed poorly and also may close.

Bombay Company: (Freehold Mall store closed) The company unveiled plans to close all 384 U.S.-based Bombay Company stores. The company's online storefront has discontinued operations.

KB Toys posted a list of 356 stores that it is closing around the United States as par t of its bankruptcy reorganization. To see the list of store closings, go to the KB Toys Information web site, and click on Press Information

Dillard's to Close More Stores
    Dillard's Inc.. said it will continue to focus on closing underperforming stores, reducing expenses and improving its merchandise in 2008. At the company's annual shareholder meeting, CEO William Dillard II said the company will close another six underperforming stores this year.
    "Keep that "what if" thought in the back of your mind; it's the angel on your shoulder balancing the devil in your right hand."

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."

2005 SV650S Street

Re: Multiple Store Closings. Check the list.

You missed Circuit City. 155 stores closing.

Can't find the list but there's one in Colorado Springs, one up here in Thorton and one elsewhere in Colorado (Pueblo? Grand Junction? I forget).

Carl

Long Distance Gear Checklist 2002 Hayabusa - Now with 100,000+ miles!

Quote Originally Posted by dm_gsxr View Post
    You missed Circuit City. 155 stores closing.

Can't find the list but there's one in Colorado Springs, one up here in Thorton and one elsewhere in Colorado (Pueblo? Grand Junction? I forget).

Carl
    Parker
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 64BonnieLass View Post
    Wickes is going out of business
    Wickes Furniture is going out of business and closing all of its stores, Wickes, a 37-year-old retailer that targets middle-income customers, filed for bankruptcy protection last month.
    I'm going out of business? Dammit!
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

Yea, Wick...very sad. Ha!

I'm not a big shopper (except Ann Taylor ) but what concerns me is the domino affect and the number of layoffs that will occur.
    "Keep that "what if" thought in the back of your mind; it's the angel on your shoulder balancing the devil in your right hand."

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."

2005 SV650S Street

Douche Yearly Supporter Sortarican's Avatar

Lane Bryant is closing?!?!?!
    Where is Dana gonna cruise for women?

BTW,
    Your favorite Mall may be closing soon too:
    http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/ticker/article.aspx?Feed=AP&Date=20081111&ID=9369102&Symb ol=GGP
    Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet.

Surprised Bombay company hasn't been out of business for years. They orver price everything.
    The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sortarican View Post

BTW,
    Your favorite Mall may be closing soon too:
    http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/tic...102&Symbol=GGP
    Cougars R Us
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Douche Yearly Supporter Sortarican's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja View Post
    Cougars R Us
    Husky cougars ta boot!
    Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet.

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Whew! Glad to see none of the Victoria's Secret stores are closing!
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Quote Originally Posted by Sortarican View Post

my thoughts exactly....we should all be prepared for extra drinking at the Toad
    Silly Boys Gixxers Are For Girls!!!

To the friends that I have lost Bryan, Kris, Thor, Matt, Nick, and Gene you will never be forgotten! I love you!

myspace.com/gsxr_lover_t

Member Yearly Supporter zukigirl's Avatar

Starschmucks, too.

Colorado stores affected -- Conifer, Broomfield, Denver, Lakewood, Longmont, and Loveland
    '08 GMC Acadia
    '05 Honda 600rr

Proud mom of 10 month old twin boys.

Last edited by modette99; Mon Nov 7th, 2011 at 03:51 PM.

This is only the begining.

Muuuu haaaaa ha haaaaa
    http://www.rapidfirebunker.com
    $15 FFL TRANSFERS. $15 Private Transfers
    Emergency Preparedness Store, Survival BULK Food, knives, Guns, Ammo, FREEDOM

Quote Originally Posted by puckstr View Post
    This is only the begining.

Muuuu haaaaa ha haaaaa
    Years ago when I was in the commercial real estate world, I remember discussing the fact that the U.S. was over saturated with retail square footage... This was 1999... Frankly, I'm surprised it took this long. There is absolutely no reason why you should be able to stand in one Walmart parking lot and throw a rock at the Walmart across the street.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Last edited by modette99; Mon Nov 7th, 2011 at 03:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by modette99 View Post
    If Wal-Marts start to close down, then you know the economy is really hurting. Although I be happy if Wal-Marts started to close, it would still be sad.
    Man, I can't stand Walmart. I don't like the parking lot of Walmart, I don't like the perimeter of the parking lot of Walmart, or any of the streets lining the perimeter of the parking lot of the Walmart.

But, c'mon?! Why people gotta be messin' with my Annie Taylor?

2005 SV650S Street

Walmart is the Devil. I hate that place.

Member Yearly Supporter zukigirl's Avatar

I hate Walmart- Its just another cheap place to buy cheap crap.
    '08 GMC Acadia
    '05 Honda 600rr

Proud mom of 10 month old twin boys.

Quote Originally Posted by zukigirl View Post
    I hate Walmart- Its just another cheap place to buy cheap crap.

Agreed, I like to support Mom and Pop shops.

Right-Wing Nut-Job DavidofColorado's Avatar

Wal Mart sucks everything I bought from them broke on me. So I haven't shopped there in a long time. I don't even buy ammo there anymore since it costs way to much.

Wait a tick.. I think I bought oil there a while back. But I bet you it was just water in a oil jug.
    "My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." Thomas Jefferson

AKA "Devaclis"

There is not enough beer in Colorado to kill the pain that is caused by this news

Layne Bryant, RIP my fine ladies
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Right-Wing Nut-Job DavidofColorado's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Devaclis View Post
    There is not enough beer in Colorado to kill the pain that is caused by this news

Layne Bryant, RIP my fine ladies
    Liquor is quicker.
    "My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." Thomas Jefferson