Thread: First Day

First Day

I had to take Rita's car in today. I stepped out to check the weather (26* and drizzling rain) and slid down the driveway. I figured it was probably a little slick to be on the bike. There were only a few roads (secondary) that might have been a little iffy had I taken the bike anyway and a couple of "salt" trucks.

It sucks, but it sucks less than waking up in the ambulance or not waking up at all

Ride Safe

Carl

Long Distance Gear Checklist 2002 Hayabusa - Now with 100,000+ miles!

Re: First Day

If I were the only one out there on the road, I'd be more likely to venture out on two wheels. However, since IQs drop sharply when there's precipitation, it's just a little more adventure than I need.

First day for me too. I woke up to the sound of my neighbor hacking the ice off his windshield and figured I should take the car.
    I think the roads were fine, but it's everyone else that adds to the concerns of icy"ness riding.
    Although taking a car felt kind of luxurious. I mean I listened to music, drank some coffee, had the heater warming me up. I almost felt spoiled.

Stay safe out there everyone!

AKA "Devaclis"

My wife made me ride with her today in the car

Girls smell icky!!!
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

I too, was undecided as to whether to ride today, until I stepped out on my front porch and busted my ass. It now has a big crack in it.

Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Gold Member Yearly Supporter McVaaahhh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TFOGGuys View Post
    I too, was undecided as to whether to ride today, until I stepped out on my front porch and busted my ass. It now has a big crack in it.

Your ass, or the porch?
    '02 RC-51 - Street
    '05 Pitster Pro 125 - Pitbike madness

Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to kill everyone you meet.

"Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride."
    ~Dave Karlotski

yeah it was chilly on the scoot today here in westminster. rode a mile or so up to the Safeway. got a nod from some cager dood stopped at the light, lol. :-) This was after noon in westminster, didn't see any ice, guess it all melted by the time i needed to hit the store.

aircooled motor warms gloves up real good. :-)

regards,
    r
    Last edited by 2wheelsgood; Thu Nov 20th, 2008 at 03:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by McVaaahhh View Post
    Your ass, or the porch?
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

come on... nobody rode today but me? lol no way man

Right-Wing Nut-Job DavidofColorado's Avatar

I rode 50 miles today. I should have put the lining back in my coat. I didn't have coffee or heat but there was music.
    "My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by DavidofColorado View Post
    I rode 50 miles today. I should have put the lining back in my coat. I didn't have coffee or heat but there was music.
    that's what i'm fkn talkin about. :-)

cold makes the motor run better.

Right-Wing Nut-Job DavidofColorado's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsgood View Post
    that's what i'm fkn talkin about. :-)

cold makes the motor run better.
    It really does. Couldn't get the temp over 150 the whole time though. I would have like the fan to come on and warm me up like it would do during the summer when I didn't need it.
    "My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." Thomas Jefferson

AKA "Devaclis"

11 degrees when I left this morning. The bike still got to 176 on my commute in. Little bit of black ice out there so be careful.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

The real problem was the fog forming a thin sheet of ice over my face shield. I had to keep brushing it off

Still, a much better ride in this morning. I actually saw another rider heading south on a fully faired bike (like an old Vedder type Goldwing).

Carl

AKA "Devaclis"

I saw the exact same thing Carl. But this dude, on a black Harley full dresser, decided to whip out in front of me as I was approaching an intersection. I was about 30 feet away and had to break pretty hard to setup for a possible swerve. He hit a pocket of ice and slid a little then regained control. I pulled up next to him, pointed and laughed, and then pulled away. Dumbass.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaclis View Post
    I saw the exact same thing Carl. But this dude, on a black Harley full dresser, decided to whip out in front of me as I was approaching an intersection. I was about 30 feet away and had to break pretty hard to setup for a possible swerve. He hit a pocket of ice and slid a little then regained control. I pulled up next to him, pointed and laughed, and then pulled away. Dumbass.
    Now now, it's not nice to make fun of the slower riders.

Carl

AKA "Devaclis"

haha being a slow rider had nothing to do with it. He is just a dumb human being

Quote Originally Posted by Devaclis View Post
    haha being a slow rider had nothing to do with it. He is just a dumb human being
    Yea, um "slow"

Carl

19 and foggy when I left Aurora....23 and foggy when I got to the shop. Electric gloves rock! (I wouldn't be able to type this without 'em)
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Took the bike out today to get a good test of the gear in cold/wet stuff. All was pretty well except my visor kept fogging up, making it hard to see (especially on I-25 at 70mph). My gore-tex ice climbing gloves proved to be a good solution though, as they were soaking wet on the outside and my hands were dry. Right fingertips were a little cool from covering the brake lever but not bad. I think a Symtex heated grip kit will be about perfect. Also the Sidi waterproof dual-sport boots kick ass! Toes were cold but different socks may help there. Feet were totally dry though, which is remarkable considering how wet the road was (slush/snow).
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Board Newbie

I put heated grips on my FJR last winter. Makes a world of difference in terms of safety. I now use my regular gloves down to the low 30's and even upper 20's for short (<30 mins) rides. The best part is that I've regained the road feel I had lost with winter gloves. This is huge when riding on roads with sand and melting snow.