Thread: How to locate a person's address

How to locate a person's address

So I have a tenant who bailed on me from my rental house in GA. In GA, for a person to have another person served for small claims court, you must have their address. He moved out in the cover of night.

I have already completed the eviction via posting at the residence but it wasn't contested so no address was provided by him.

I know where he works, have his phone number at work.
    I believe he moved to Douglasville, GA.
    I have used yellowpages.com but doubt he has a house phone, he didn't over the last couple of years.

Anyone have experience tracking people down? I need/ideas help to try and find an address for him from 6 states away.
    The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR

Re: How to locate a person's address

put an ad on craigslist down there.... $20-50 for some pics of him leaving work, and then pics of him entering the house, and the full address?

06 DR650SE

PI Give them his name work address. It shouldn't cost to much, hell add that to the price of the lawsuit......
    Fuck it fly me down there and I'll serve him his papers. It isnt the first time I've done it.
    Good luck, let us know how it goes
    Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Start calling his work. I had a guy pull that shit to me, kinda funny how he started returning my calls when I called him there, showed up, mailed him notices to pay there, etc.

If you're in GA in the near future, follow him home from work and find out where he lives.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Right-Wing Nut-Job DavidofColorado's Avatar

Call his work and ask him.
    "My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." Thomas Jefferson

You can try www.zabasearch.com but I doubt you may find him that way....give it a shot though.
    For My Diavan

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe View Post
    Start calling his work. I had a guy pull that shit to me, kinda funny how he started returning my calls when I called him there, showed up, mailed him notices to pay there, etc.

If you're in GA in the near future, follow him home from work and find out where he lives.
    If I can't get it solved before I go to FL for Xmas, I may drive to Atlanta area, but if I don't have any leads, then I am not sure how that will help. It will put me closer to his local though.

I do have his phone at work, and he does answer, but so far, i can't get his address from him. I says he is mailing the money, but I ain't holding my breath. So I am moving forward with the small claims suit.

Unfortunately for me, in GA, one has to serve papers on a person at their current residence, even if the debt was incurred in a different county (E.G. the house he WAS living at).
    The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR

You could try sending a registered letter/return receipt with tracking to his old address. If he had his mail forwarded from the post office maybe you can track him down. Or maybe a package with a horse head in it. Just a thought.

Scers sidekick... PuhRobin Yearly Supporter Foolds's Avatar

Honestly, Small claims court is normally worthless. Even if you serve him, file send your time and money getting it into court given is only the fee's. You then win how are you going to get him to pay? I have two judgements that have never been paid I'm 0/2 in small claims court payouts. The garnishment process is a major pain, and typically not worth if for the money that you win in small claims. Just because you have a judgment does not mean he has to pay you. Plus you have to fly to GA to appearer in court. Try a collection service for part of the debt they will make his life a living hell!

As my Attorneys tell me every time I evict some one (about 1-2 times a year) go for possession of the property and let the rest go.

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Foolds also has some good advice. Is the cost of what you might actually collect worth the time and expense of collecting it? Or are you better off just writing this off on your taxes?

Sending him to collections also means you might be able to tag his credit history so he doesn't screw other landlords over until you're paid back.

You may also be able to find him through credit reporting, if you still have his information to run a query. I'm not sure if it's legal to do without his consent, but I think it is. Usually those reports have addresses listed on them.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

intellius.com. Similar thing happened to me. If you have his/hers phone number, you can find out where they live. The problem is sometimes they use a cell phone registered to a relative. It makes it a little bit more complicated to track down the sucka!. hope it helps...

If he just recently moved you will have trouble getting his address from the credit bureus. But if it has been 30-60 days then there is a good chance one of his creditor's has started reporting his new address to them. Well that is if he has notified them already!

I say PI, continue to call him at work. You do have rights to collect the debt.

And you know if you get a judgement you can hire someone to collect on it or sell it to a collection agency (Yields crap for $$ though)

I hate to say it, but I saw hit him with the judgement, renew it in 9 years, keep it on his credit report till he pays you.

The price he will pay for his dinged credit goes a long way. make sure you notify him of this. Bad credit costs you a lot in the long run.

No matter our intentions, when we kill the innocent, we become the enemy.

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Find him, and stick an icepick in his eye. If that doesn't get some respect, he sleeps with the fishes. But maybe that's just me.....
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter 64BonnieLass's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLE_MONKEY View Post
    Find him, and stick an icepick in his eye. If that doesn't get some respect, he sleeps with the fishes. But maybe that's just me.....
    Um yea. I'm not sure where you get the "Sorta" or the "kinda" cause that statement right there just SCREAMS full blooded Italian.

Remind me to compliment you profusely next time I see you.
    "Keep that "what if" thought in the back of your mind; it's the angel on your shoulder balancing the devil in your right hand."

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."

2005 SV650S Street

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Quote Originally Posted by 64BonnieLass View Post
    Um yea. I'm not sure where you get the "Sorta" or the "kinda" cause that statement right there just SCREAMS full blooded Italian.

Remind me to compliment you profusely next time I see you.
    I'm only 1/2 Eye-Talian....but it's the BETTER 1/2!
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Quote Originally Posted by mclarke View Post
    If he just recently moved you will have trouble getting his address from the credit bureus. But if it has been 30-60 days then there is a good chance one of his creditor's has started reporting his new address to them. Well that is if he has notified them already!

I say PI, continue to call him at work. You do have rights to collect the debt.

Well, Georgia, has made it fairly easy for the landlord. If I were to win the small claims suit, they make it easier with the collections. They record a debt and place it against his house (I heard he purchased, but can't find out which county) and they will garnish wages for you.

I am leaning towards a PI at this point after I try a couple other methods.

Call him at work, tell him he won a big prize, ask where he would like it shipped! Mmm social engineering
    1998 CBR600F3 "Desert Storm" - SOLD

WAS keeping the banana seat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    Well, Georgia, has made it fairly easy for the landlord. If I were to win the small claims suit, they make it easier with the collections. They record a debt and place it against his house (I heard he purchased, but can't find out which county) and they will garnish wages for you.

I am leaning towards a PI at this point after I try a couple other methods.
    If he purchased a house the county tax assessor has an address. This info is available online in many states and counties, it is public info. Google tax assessor for Georgia counties around his work location. A local Realtor will also have the info.

Try this site: http://gaassessors.com/
    Last edited by zetaetatheta; Wed Nov 26th, 2008 at 08:03 PM.