View Poll Results: PS3 or XBox 360 and why?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Playstation 3

20 48.78%
  • XBox 360

21 51.22%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PS3 or XBOX 360?

PS3 or XBOX 360?

Sorry if someone else has done this but i didn't find one. Im in debate on the 360 or the ps3 and wanted to see others opinions..

Your decision is good but if you can back up with some evidence as to what makes one better then the other then that would be cool

I personally had an xbox prior over the ps2 but i like both, so far i do like the fact that 360 has a partnership with netflix. so anyways.
    "If you love something, let it go... If it comes back to you, you've just high sided!"

'01 GSXR 750~Scorpion Exhaust~Carbon rear wheel cover, chain guard, intake, mirrors and signals~Targa Windscreen

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Re: PS3 or XBOX 360?

I've had both. The XBox has some good games and I find the PS3 a little lacking in that regard. But my XBox bit the dust, as have many, due to a design flaw (the sound but no video problem) that Microsoft refuses to acknowledge. I've heard (on this board, I think) that the newer ones do not suffer from this problem.

The main reason I bought the PS3 was because it is probably the best choice for a BluRay player on the market. It really does the media center thing really well and with easily applied system software upgrades, you get new capabilities all the time. With TVersity on a PC in the basement, I can store pictures, music, video there and play them easily through the PS3. I figure the game selection will only get better with time. MotoGP 08 on the PS3 is awesome!

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

I'm going with the PS3. Just picked one up a couple weeks ago and can't stop playing the damned thing! I like it because it has the Blu-Ray built in, and I love the Gran Turismo series. I'm dissapointed they have gone away from the backwards compatability, but oh well. Plus it's FREE to play online, unlike the 360. Something else to think about when purchasing.

Only downsides I've seen are the lack of games (right now I have GT5P, Little Big Planet, Lego Batman and MotoGP'08 ), but the ones that are "exclusive" to 360, I could care less about. The other downside is the price, the 80gb is going for $399 and you can find an arcade version of the 360 for as little as $150 right now (no hard drive).

Dirk, send me a friend request (SN: WickRS) and we'll play some MotoGP sometime. I just got it yesterday, so I haven't played too much.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

I have the 80GB version of the PS3 and absolutely love it. I have no problems with it playing any of my older PS2 and PS1 games as well.
    All praise the Snow God, for he let's us Ride!!

Hey, Amazingly enough my first post over here is about PS3 vs Xbox 360. I own them both as well. I used to have also the original xbox before selling it on CraigsList for $120 yikes!!

I agree with dirkterrell, you could use PS3 as a blueray player. It also has other cool stuff like throwing a different operating systems on it, and replacing or adding stuff like a harddrive.

PS3 does not charge $49.99 a year for their online content.
    Xbox Live is $49.99 per year.

Xbox has cool games like Gears Of War (imo, the best game ever) but then so does PS3 like resistance.

PS3 supports MAG - massive action gamer. ability to support 250 gamers online on one single game. Xbox does not at this point.

Xbox simply breaks. All of my friends had to replace their xbox at least once due to the - death of ring - problem.

I find ps3 controller to small for my big paws. Xbox failed with their hd-dvd players. Now ppl are using them as a decorative item.

PS3 supports HDMI 1.3 vs Xbox does not. Xbox has more games to choose from, but hey I only pick up the live games.

So, I guess it all depends. There are ppl who love each one of them for different reasons. Since I have been on Xbox Live since the original xbox came out, I made a ton of friends. Then, ps3 has more foothold in Europe. So, if you ever wanna move somewhere in Europe, you could easily take your ps3 with you. I also have a ton of ps3 friends from my homeland but the time difference is a real problem. We play together, heck we even went out for a drink together.

Xbox recently upgraded their OS. Now, you have avatars, and some other different abilities.

Honestly, I like them both. It sometimes suck to buy the same game twice though...
    Xbox : FALCONSEYE
    ps3 : FALCONSEYE_

I have a new model PS3. As others have said, its video quality is great and I bought it in part to get the Blu Ray player. Its also supposed to be very durable and should last for awhile (or until the next big jump in technology is available)

I had read the on line reviews for MotoGP 08 and went out to buy one and couldn't find it. Guess I'll need to keep on looking.

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Goose View Post
    Dirk, send me a friend request (SN: WickRS) and we'll play some MotoGP sometime. I just got it yesterday, so I haven't played too much.
    I just got it Saturday. But I did win the 125cc championship yesterday. Of course that was in easy mode and letting it do the shifting. I was mainly trying to learn the tracks. I did a quick race on Nicky's Honda at Laguna and the Corkscrew was kicking my ass.

Corkscrew--><--Dirk

I'll see if I can connect up with you sometime...

Dirk

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCBX View Post
    I had read the on line reviews for MotoGP 08 and went out to buy one and couldn't find it. Guess I'll need to keep on looking.
    I got mine at the Best Buy at the Flatirons Crossing mall in Broomfield.

Dirk

--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by SumoWeezle View Post
    I have the 80GB version of the PS3 and absolutely love it. I have no problems with it playing any of my older PS2 and PS1 games as well.
    yea as i posted in another thread, i did notice the 80 gig states it will play approx. 80% of the ps1 and 2 games where the 60 gig states it will play 95% of the ps1 and 2 games.. not sure the big diff being its only hard drive difference from what i get out of it.

I personally have not had the chance to play anything other then gears of war the first one awhile back on the xbox, but i have gotten to play clone wars, devil may cry and need for speed carbon on the ps3.. not the best of my choices but they were pretty good and i love the new feel of the ps3 controllers.

Heres my other question?

would you say that ps3 or xbox has more games then the other?

If xbox has more games and options then ill go that way but usually playstation has more games.. plus i have noticed that more companies choose to make games for only playstation where only a few choose to make only xbox games.

So again im still in debate but do think im leaning more for the ps3.
    "If you love something, let it go... If it comes back to you, you've just high sided!"

'01 GSXR 750~Scorpion Exhaust~Carbon rear wheel cover, chain guard, intake, mirrors and signals~Targa Windscreen

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCBX View Post
    I have a new model PS3. As others have said, its video quality is great and I bought it in part to get the Blu Ray player. Its also supposed to be very durable and should last for awhile (or until the next big jump in technology is available)

Check Best Buy, that's where my girlfriend got mine.

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    I just got it Saturday. But I did win the 125cc championship yesterday. Of course that was in easy mode and letting it do the shifting. I was mainly trying to learn the tracks. I did a quick race on Nicky's Honda at Laguna and the Corkscrew was kicking my ass.

Corkscrew--><--Dirk

I'll see if I can connect up with you sometime...

Dirk
    I'm about half way through the 125 class. I'm doing it the same way too.... automatic and on arcade mode.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

Quote Originally Posted by FALCONSEYE View Post
    Hey, Amazingly enough my first post over here is about PS3 vs Xbox 360. I own them both as well. I used to have also the original xbox before selling it on CraigsList for $120 yikes!!

I agree with dirkterrell, you could use PS3 as a blueray player. It also has other cool stuff like throwing a different operating systems on it, and replacing or adding stuff like a harddrive.

PS3 does not charge $49.99 a year for their online content.
    Xbox Live is $49.99 per year.

Xbox has cool games like Gears Of War (imo, the best game ever) but then so does PS3 like resistance.

PS3 supports MAG - massive action gamer. ability to support 250 gamers online on one single game. Xbox does not at this point.

Xbox simply breaks. All of my friends had to replace their xbox at least once due to the - death of ring - problem.

I find ps3 controller to small for my big paws. Xbox failed with their hd-dvd players. Now ppl are using them as a decorative item.

PS3 supports HDMI 1.3 vs Xbox does not. Xbox has more games to choose from, but hey I only pick up the live games.

So, I guess it all depends. There are ppl who love each one of them for different reasons. Since I have been on Xbox Live since the original xbox came out, I made a ton of friends. Then, ps3 has more foothold in Europe. So, if you ever wanna move somewhere in Europe, you could easily take your ps3 with you. I also have a ton of ps3 friends from my homeland but the time difference is a real problem. We play together, heck we even went out for a drink together.

Xbox recently upgraded their OS. Now, you have avatars, and some other different abilities.

Honestly, I like them both. It sometimes suck to buy the same game twice though...
    Xbox : FALCONSEYE
    ps3 : FALCONSEYE_
    Thanks for the input that was exactly the stuff im looking to hear..

Quote Originally Posted by BeoBe View Post
    I personally have not had the chance to play anything other then gears of war the first one awhile back on the xbox, but i have gotten to play clone wars, devil may cry and need for speed carbon on the ps3.. not the best of my choices but they were pretty good and i love the new feel of the ps3 controllers.
    Try out Little Big Planet if you get the chance. It looks like a kids game, but once you get into it, you are hooked. I can't stop playing it.

would you say that ps3 or xbox has more games then the other?
    Xbox, hands down.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

anyone know where to get a list of games that will be only for ps3 or only for xbox? I know Grand Turismo is playstation only, not sure if GTA is still or not.

Also, guitar hero wise is it cheaper for the guitars and what not for xbox or ps3 or are they about the same price? Im assuming that the ps2 guitars will not work with the ps3 or whats the deal on that one?

Like i said im really leaning to the ps3 even though i read a developer thing from a guy that helped build both and he said hands down 360 is best..

Playstation 3 Exclusive Titles:

-Afrika (Confirmed)
    -Angel Rings (Published by Sony)
    -Eight days (SCE)
    -EyeDentify (Published by Sony)
    -Fifth Phantom Saga (Confirmation)
    -Final Fantasy XIII (Confirmed)
    -Final Fantasy Versus XIII (Confirmed)
    -Folks Soul
    -Formula One (Published by Sony)
    -Full Auto 2: Battlelines (Confirmation)
    -Genji: Days of the Blade (Confirmation)
    -God of War 3
    -Gradius (Confirmation)
    -Grand Turismo 5 (Published by Sony)
    -Grand Turismo HD (Published by Sony)
    -Gretzky NHL (Published by Sony)
    -Heavenly Sword (Published by Sony)
    -Hot Shots Golf 5 (Published by Sony)
    -Jak and Daxter: The Lost Frontier (Published by Sony)
    -Killzone 3 (SCE)
    -Lair (Confirmation)
    -Little Big Planet
    -Metal Gear Solid 4 (Confirmation)
    -Mobile Suit Gundam: Gundam World (Confirmed)
    -Monster Hunter 3 (Confirmation)
    -Motor Storm (Published by Sony)
    -My Singstar (Published by Sony)
    -Ninja Gaiden Sigma
    -Ni-Oh (Information)
    -Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (Published by Sony)
    -Redwood Falls (Information)
    -Resistance: Fall of Man (Confirmation)
    -Resistance: Rise of Man
    -Ridge Racer 7 (Confirmation)
    -Shin Megami Tensei (Confirmation)
    -Tekken 6 (Confirmed)
    -The Eye of Judgment (SCE)
    -The Getaway (SCE)
    -Uncharted: Drake's Fortune(SCE)
    -Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom (SCE)
    -WarDevil Enigma (Confirmation)
    -Warhawk (Published by Sony)
    -White Knight Story
    -Wipeout (Confirmation)
    -ActiveDogs (aka Castleween 2?)
    -Guan Yu (aka Dysnasty Warriors)
    -Kurayami (Confirmation)
    ^Rengoku: The end of the Century (Information)
    +Rockstar Old West (Information)
    ^Way of the Samurai (Information)
    *SOE DC MMO (Published by Sony)

From PS3Forum
    Last edited by Slacker; Mon Nov 24th, 2008 at 03:12 PM.
    '02 GSXR1000

AKA "Devaclis"

PC /thread
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaclis View Post
    PC /thread
    not a choice /you
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

AKA "Devaclis"

But it SHOULD beeeeee!!!!

I am sure you can't get Oregon trail for the PS3!
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaclis View Post
    But it SHOULD beeeeee!!!!

I am sure you can't get Oregon trail for the PS3!
    THAT would be awesome. But it has to be the original in green/black. PS3 does have an internet browser, so technically you could play Oregon Trail.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

Its funny how different forums are from eachother, on here ps3 is beating out the 360 thus far pretty well, where as the car forum that im on i posted the same thing and the 360 is winning but with less amount of people already voted.

here we got 14-2 ps3 where the other so far is like 4-2 xbox

I own and XBox180 and would've rather bought the ps3. I've had to send my xbox in for repair 3 times...they are costly and they are crap.

the blue ray, blue tooth and other standard technologies make the ps3 a smarter buy in my opinion. It comes with internal wireless card, so you don't have to spend $100/peripheral like you would with the xbox.

Example:
    I have to wear a gay wired headset on the xbox....if I had a ps3 I could just use my blue tooth.

I have a non standard hard drive that costs $100 in my xbox, it doesn't work. Instead of buying a new standard pc hard drive to replace it, I have to spend $ on micorosoft's proprietary crap, so that it will go to shit and I'll have to spend more $ on it again later.

I had to pay $100 for wireless for the xbox. If I had a ps3 it's got internal wireless.

I pay $50/year for my online membership with xbox...not sure what the deal with the ps3 is. In addition to that I have to pay using microsoft points (the equivalent of 60000 chucky cheese tokens) for downloadable content on top of the monthly fee.

In addition to all the extra crap you have to buy to make the experience worth it, you pay at least $60/game.

If you do the math, you'll see that you get more bang for your buck with a ps3 and the total cost of ownership for the ps3 is less than the xbox.

Leah
    05 Raven R1
    01 YZ250F

Quote Originally Posted by DevilsTonic View Post
    I pay $50/year for my online membership with xbox...not sure what the deal with the ps3 is. In addition to that I have to pay using microsoft points (the equivalent of 60000 chucky cheese tokens) for downloadable content on top of the monthly fee.

In addition to all the extra crap you have to buy to make the experience worth it, you pay at least $60/game.
    Playstation Network is absolutely free. All you have to do is register.

You still have to pay $60/game for the PS3 (new ones) but updates and a lot of add-ons are free.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

Quote Originally Posted by DevilsTonic View Post
    I have to wear a gay wired headset on the xbox....if I had a ps3 I could just use my blue tooth.
    I only know this from TV but i was watching the terminator on TV and a kid was using a wireless bluetooth headset with his 360? Is this just another option you have to pay out your ass for to get for the xbox?

I only know this from TV but i was watching the terminator on TV and a kid was using a wireless bluetooth headset with his 360? Is this just another option you have to pay out your ass for to get for the xbox?
    Do you believe everything you see on tv?
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

nope, thats why i asked and stated i only know it from tv lol