Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: crash yesterday at 85/87 exit and academy offramp

crash yesterday at 85/87 exit and academy offramp

Two people died Sunday in a motorcycle accident on the south side of Colorado Springs.
    Colorado State Patrol say the victims were riding the motorcycle on S. Academy in between I-25 and Highway 85 when they were hit by a car.
    Charles Coggin, 47, was killed in the crash, along with his passenger who has not yet been identified. Neither victim was wearing a helmet and both died at the scene of the crash.
    The car's driver, 18-year-old Brandon Howard of Fort Carson, says the vehicle lost control of its brakes momentarily and was trying to get off the road.
    Howard has been charged with two counts of vehicular homicide. He was also charged with participating in a speed contest, or road race.
    Howard is being held at the El Paso County Jail on bond. Alcohol and drugs are not suspected in the accident.
    http://www.kktv.com/home/headlines/35685374.html

sucks, they werent wearing helmets, and from what i heard the kid was doing 65 in a 45. im prior army so when i say this dont get offended, but fucking privates can be so stupid at times. as for the bikers, i really wish we had a mandatory helmet law.

thought ans prayers my mates
    http://www.myspace.com/1990crxdx

719-465-9547--give me a call if your going on a ride. i'll be there.

2003 fireblade
    -frame sliders
    -gpr damper
    -BMC air filter
    -arata full titanium exhaust
    -teknic freestyle camo jacket
    -teknic smt gloves

WANT:shorty levers, 520 coversion/gear change, ss/kevlar brake lines, fender elim/hotbodies undertail, PCIIIr, zero gravity dub. bub, slipper clutch

Re: crash yesterday at 85/87 exit and academy offramp

Quote Originally Posted by honda03cbr954rr View Post

sucks, they werent wearing helmets, and from what i heard the kid was doing 65 in a 45. im prior army so when i say this dont get offended, but fucking humans can be so stupid at times. as for the bikers, i really wish we had a mandatory helmet law.

thought ans prayers my mates
    fixed it for ya

RIP to the riders...
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Saw part of this on the news yesterday but missed the part that it was caused by street racing.

Prayers for the families of the riders.
    "6 pairs of kicks is my definition of 12 steps"

R.I.P. riders
    "Everyone was thinking it i just said it"

That mandatory helmet law is not far into the distant future. Many insiders are realizing that there are going to be a several rounds of give and takes to get what is needed on the books for increased awareness and safety for riders. But that doesn't mean that we are bullet proof. Just look at Andrew Trevitt--poor bastard.

Sad news again on another set of riders being killed by drivers not in control.
    MSF-RiderCoach,TOTAL CONTROL Advanced Riding Clinic-Level 1/Level 2 Instructor

Ricky Orlando Motorcycle School,
    Rider Workshop-USA

Suspension Academy Graduate 1 + 1 = 3
    Writer, 2008 MRA Season Program-Feature Article, "The Colorado Sportbike Club"
    *Mngr., TerraNova Team Racing, MRA #112 Andrew Gillespie, Novice GTU Champion/Rookie of the Year-2007
    Member: AMA
    Red Cross--Disaster Assessment Team Captain, CPR, AED, First Aid, Veteran-USAF-K-9 Handler

I wish people would quit trying to force others to do what they want due to safety. It is up to the rider whether they wear helmets or not, they know the consiquences and often in high speed collisions, a helmet may not save them.

Motorcycles are dangerous, some people wish we could get rid of them all together. Sportbikes should not be given to people because they are too high performance and kill to many people. Too many harley riders drink and drive, lets get rid of Harleys. Motorcycles kill a much higher ratio of people in accidents, even in helmet states. Motorcycles are too dangerous. We need to force people not to be able to ride them for safety reasons. The reason to force people are for the same reason. People are too stupid to be able to make a decision to wear a helmet or not so we should force them to wear one. But if we are trying to protect and save them shouldn't we just remove motorcycles? The are hard for cagers to see and make it too difficult for people to drive the roads trying to avoid motorcycles. People kill themselves on them, they are much more dangerous than cars so lets force them into cars. Same reasoning.

My prayers go out to the familys affected by the death of the riders.
    "For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing....What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death?"

RIP riders

The riders were the victims here, been a while since I've seen a motorcycle death caused by a speeding cager, instead of "the motorcycle may have been speeding at the time of the accident".

I disagree above. I think that helmets should be mandatory (like seatbelts). That if you are caught riding without one, it is a large fine (like click-it or ticket). But a given number of violations would result in a loss of the motorcycle endorsement.

AKA "Devaclis"

RIP riders

Fuck your helmet law. Stop trying to tell me what to do.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaclis View Post
    You do have a way with words. Short, sweet, and more to the point than anything I could say. Too bad there are not more who think like you do.
    "For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing....What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death?"

AKA "Devaclis"

Sorry, I am a blunt person, you know that I am not poetic or versed enough to say what I want with a lot of fancy adverbs and dangling participles hahaha

Either way, I don't want my right to choose taken away and I am very adamant about that.

Maybe we should force all motor vehicle drivers to be surrounded by a "nerf" like material, for their own good. /welcome to China
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Either way, I don't want my right to choose taken away and I am very adamant about that.

Maybe we should force all motor vehicle drivers to be surrounded by a "nerf" like material, for their own good. /welcome to China
    lol. indeed, well said, both times.

RIP riders

I choose to wear a helmet, but I understand the choice not to....
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Quote Originally Posted by pilot View Post
    That mandatory helmet law is not far into the distant future. Many insiders are realizing that there are going to be a several rounds of give and takes to get what is needed on the books for increased awareness and safety for riders. But that doesn't mean that we are bullet proof. Just look at Andrew Trevitt--poor bastard.

Sad news again on another set of riders being killed by drivers not in control.
    Reading the article in the link, Andrew was "testing tires"....wonder if he was perhaps riding faster than he should have been for the conditions? Not that there's any excuse for making a u-turn in a situation with limited visibility, but it makes me wonder. In the end analysis, the only person that has any substantive control over your safety (or lack thereof) is you.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

I look at this 2 ways.

1. If you ride a motorcycle then you should wear a helmet. I don't want to be forced by the law to wear a helmet but it just makes common sense to me.

2. If you do not want to wear a helmet then why are you forcing your will onto someone else that will have to clean up your head material (brains, skull, eyes or anything else that gets crushed) from the road. Why should we be forced to pay for you life when you become a backet case from cracking your skull on the road.

Pandora-11

As much as I'd love to see everyone wear a helmet, we can't always legislate everything. What's coming soon is the total banning of cell phones in cars and then banning your burger or diet coke.....then, no talking to your children in the back seat and then helmets in your car are required and then a seat belt for your dog and then everyone must become a vegan for their health and then....and then and then...see the point. Our freedoms are taking hits daily. We can educate, but legislating gets tricky.
    At some point PEOPLE must take responsibility for their own safety.

AKA "Devaclis"

Quote Originally Posted by RF900guy View Post
    I look at this 2 ways.

1. If you ride a motorcycle then you should wear a helmet. I don't want to be forced by the law to wear a helmet but it just makes common sense to me.

2. If you do not want to wear a helmet then why are you forcing your will onto someone else that will have to clean up your head material (brains, skull, eyes or anything else that gets crushed) from the road. Why should we be forced to pay for you life when you become a backet case from cracking your skull on the road.
    What if I wear a helmet and my guts spill all over the road? Brain stays intact?

What if, wearing a seatbelt, you get in a car accident and snap your spine, basket case?

What if?

No one is forcing anyone to clean up body parts. It is either their job, that they are paid for, or they volunteer. FORCING a helmet law is ridiculous. I am tired of going over this again and again. Neither YOU nor the government knows what is best for me. I know what is best for me. I CHOOSE to ride a bike. I CHOOSE to wear a lid. I CHOOSE to fight anyone who wants to take that right away from me. When you loose your right to choose, you loose your right to live free.

Maybe you should have to, by law, wear a respirator on smoggy days here in CO. Ya know, I would not want you getting sick and forcing US to have to pay for your medical bills.

/go moderate your children and leave the adults alone.

Not a personal attack BTW: I saw BOTH of your points This is directed at those who are just as adamant about a helmet law as I am AGAINST one!!

I'm with Dana on this one...

Wearing a helmet should be a choice. A smart one, but a choice none the less.

If you don't think you need to wear one, then you probably don't.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

AKA "Devaclis"

Grrrr. I hate to sully up a thread like this so I am finished. Sorry to the family of the riders for your loss.

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RF900guy View Post
    Why should we be forced to pay for you life when you become a backet case from cracking your skull on the road.
    Every time this issue comes up, I ask if the proponents of helmet laws have any statistical evidence that lack of helmet laws cause an increase in costs to the public. I haven't seen any such evidence. In fact, one could argue that wearing helmets causes people to survive as "basket cases" rather than letting them die.

I wouldn't presume to tell anyone what they ought to be wearing when they ride anymore than I want them telling me what to wear. I mean, if you're really worried about other people's safety, you should advocate the banning of motorcycles because, as we all know, they are dangerous. Life is dangerous. Worry about yourself and let other people take risks as they see fit.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    Life is dangerous. Worry about yourself and let other people take risks as they see fit.

Dirk
    Life isn't just dangerous, it's universally fatal. I say we ban it!
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

I ride with gear that I deem acceptable for the street (jacket, gloves, boots, helmet). The people I have ridden with in the past are like-minded so it works out well. However, as much as I laugh when I see someone ride with the helmet strapped to the back of the bike....it is ultimately their choice.

I chose not to wear a condom and now I got 4 kids...life is what you make of it. Seems like anything now a days will kill you or causes cancer, just quit worrying about it, make your choices and live your life....this is just my opinion...I respect everyone elses.
    For My Diavan

as the originator of this post, and the one who stated that i wish we had a madatory helmet law, i shoudl explain why i feel we should have said law. i got my first bike in cali and they have a mandatory helmet law. so for me its always been something that goes with a bike. plus when i was 8 i got hit by a car while on my bicycle and my head hit the side of the curb. i only got a broken ankle from it, but if i was not wearing a helmet i would have been brain damaged for sure.

my friend a couple years later got hit on his bicycle without a helmet on an his learning regressed 3 grades. he will forever be slow in learning things and remembering stuff.

granted with an bike that allows you to go faster than a bmx, things are relatively different, but the same concept can apply. without the proper gear, you have a higher risk.

as for the kid driving the car, the cops are looking for the other street racer who fled the scene. last i heard anyways.

im a fan of a helmet law in exchange for spiltting traffic like we can in cali. sure thats a huge risk here with the non-driving mofo's that we have, but taking that into account, riding a bike or driving your car is a risk of getting hit in this state. so you dont want a helmet, i want to be able to split traffic at a light or in gridlock
    http://www.myspace.com/1990crxdx

719-465-9547--give me a call if your going on a ride. i'll be there.

2003 fireblade
    -frame sliders
    -gpr damper
    -BMC air filter
    -arata full titanium exhaust
    -teknic freestyle camo jacket
    -teknic smt gloves

WANT:shorty levers, 520 coversion/gear change, ss/kevlar brake lines, fender elim/hotbodies undertail, PCIIIr, zero gravity dub. bub, slipper clutch

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

I hit a deer at 90mph and was knocked out with a wraparound helmet on. i was hit by a drunk and had my left ankle ripped off my leg. Every bike i have ever owned for the past thirty five years I ALWAYS had gear (helmet, leathers, tank bag, etc.) wrapped up in the loan from the bank. I don't support helmet laws and I especially don't support helmet laws that are attached to other 'perks' like lane splitting. Don't even attempt to legislate common sense.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV