Thread: I Need Cable & Internet Sevice, Who've Ya Got, How Much Ya Pay, How Ya Like It?

I Need Cable & Internet Sevice, Who've Ya Got, How Much Ya Pay, How Ya Like It?

Comcast coughed up the ball. After having my buisness with them for a year, their pricing is completely rediculous. I started with them & got a great deal for starter cable (basic plus channels like Cartoon Network, Comedy Central, Bravo, etc.), sports package (specifically fox soccer channel), HBO free (which I don't really need or care about), and internet service. I was paying about $75/month. That promotion ended in June & they promptly signed me up for another one. That one ended a couple weeks ago & now they want $131 for all that. Even if I drop HBO, sports package, & the speed bost for the internet they're still coming after me for $113 for just starter cable & internet. Nothing like a $40 hike for half the services. They said I've had too many promotions and that I'm not elligible for one for another 3-6 months. Not so eager to work with me this time it seems.

So I'm take'n my ball & go'n home. I need recommendations for cable & internet. I don't need a million channels, but I do like Comedy Central, Cartoon Network, Food network, etc. and I need internet. I can steal wireless from my neighbor's unprotected router, but the signal's weak & I don't wanna rely on skippy never figuring out router security.

Who do you use for what type of cable & internet? What do you pay? How have they treated you? I don't mind paying slightly more for exactly what I want w/good service, but a $40/month hike for half the product is outrageous. HELP!
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Re: I Need Cable & Internet Sevice, Who've Ya Got, How Much Ya Pay, How Ya Like It?

For cable TV you're kinda f'ed, as Comcast has the monopoly in most parts of the metro area. Your other choice for pay TV would seem to involve a dish and a contract signed in blood. For internet, Quest DSL is lsower than what you're used to, but their new Fiber optic stuff sounds interesting....
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Re: I Need Cable & Internet Sevice, Who've Ya Got, How Much Ya Pay, How Ya Like It?

Comcast went to total shit for us, so we switched to DirecTV with HD over a year ago, plus Qwest DSL at the same time. The line rate on the DSL is a little slower, but it's consistently faster than the cable was, not to mention it doesn't drop several times a week. The DirecTV picture quality is also better than Comcast. I think they used to have major problems with "rain fade" (or snow fade here) but I've only noticed major signal problems a couple times, and those are easily solved with a broom.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

If you don't mind my asking, what kind of cost bracket are you looking at, Ralph?
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by MetaLord 9 View Post
    If you don't mind my asking, what kind of cost bracket are you looking at, Ralph?
    Not sure actually. But we have HD, DVR's, movie channels, etc so it will be more than what you would pay.

You can go through Qwest's website and price out the options you want, since they will give discounts for bundling DSL with DirecTV service.

than sincere ignorance

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

AKA "Devaclis"

Internet: Comcast. 7MB DL for $45 a month. They have been impeccable over the past 6 years

TV: Dizznish. $42 a month for 155 Chanel package. Quality sucks, gonna switch to DirTV soon
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

I've never had an issues with Comcast they didn't fix right away for the past 7 years.

However they need to take whoever built their website, tie them up with their own router cables with a loaded gun pointed directly at their head, that can be triggered with a sting tied to their index finger and force them to watch episodes of the Teletubbies.

MRA Racer No.427

See we could never get our Comcast issues fixed, but they sure wanted to charge us a bunch of money for coming to the house to do nothing whatsoever. The cable internet got so unreliable that I could not be oncall for work, so it had to go.

than sincere ignorance

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

I'm paying $77/month for all those channels you have, sports tier, showtime, hd and dvr.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

I like how helpful you've been Wicky. I'm gonna put the soundtrack to some pron on CD & play it on a boombox outside your bedroom window at full blast so you have nightmares of Friday!
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by MetaLord 9 View Post
    I like how helpful you've been Wicky. I'm gonna put the soundtrack to some pron on CD & play it on a boombox outside your bedroom window at full blast so you have nightmares of Friday!
    Can you put it to the sound of a squeeking air matress too? Thanks dear.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

Guess I should have said that was with Comcast huh? I get free internet through the leasing office, so I can't comment on internet.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Goose View Post
    Can you put it to the sound of a squeeking air matress too? Thanks dear.
    Consider it done shnuckums!

If you're not getting internet through comcast then that price makes a lot more sense
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Last edited by modette99; Mon Nov 7th, 2011 at 03:53 PM.

^^Thanks! Linda's gonna have a phone ringing very soon I feel...
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

FTW
    http://www.rapidfirebunker.com
    $15 FFL TRANSFERS. $15 Private Transfers
    Emergency Preparedness Store, Survival BULK Food, knives, Guns, Ammo, FREEDOM

AKA "Devaclis"

^^ You don't watch TV and you think the internet is what is on the inside of the outternet.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaclis View Post
    ^^ You don't watch TV and you think the internet is what is on the inside of the outternet.

AND????
    http://www.rapidfirebunker.com
    $15 FFL TRANSFERS. $15 Private Transfers
    Emergency Preparedness Store, Survival BULK Food, knives, Guns, Ammo, FREEDOM

Douche Yearly Supporter Sortarican's Avatar

Just got an offer from DirectTV base 150 channel service, HD, DVR for $39 a month.
    Had some interweb access and movie channel specials you could add on too.
    I'll look for the flyer tonight.
    (Saved it cause I'm tired of Douche Network and thinking of switching.)
    Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet.

I will give another vote for DirecTV. I have used them for many years and have been very satisfied. The $39 price Sortarican quoted is a promo, I dont know how long its good for but once its up the 150 channels + HD + DVR is about $68

The signal fade issue is directly related to how well your dish is peaked, I do my own and it is so rare it is not a concern. I use DirecTV for background music at work and with it on 10 hours a day and 5 - 6 days a week I can count on my fingers the number of times I have lost signal. At home I only remember one time when I had to brush snow out of the dish.

Just picked up the Direct TV 200+ digital HD/DVR package with a second HD reciever, 7mb Qwest Internet w/home phone/voicemail/call waiting for 116.00 a month.