Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing out brake lines

Changing out brake lines

I bought some Goodridge steel lines for the SVS and am planning to put them on the bike this w/e, along with new EBC pads

I've never done anything like this before, so having read through all the "How To"s I can find on bleeding brakes, I'm wondering if anyone can give me any additional "personal experience" pointers to make the process of getting the brake fluid into the new lines as painless as possible?

And now for some really dumb questions :

1) what size tubing will I need? I'm guessing since the bleed nipple needs
    an 8mm wrench to loosen it, a similar size?
    2) How much brake fluid should I get? I need to replace the old stuff, as
    it's really manky, and have some extra for (ahem) newbie "incidents"
    3) Any pointers on installing the new pads? Something else I've never done before...

Thanks
    "Life is not a journey unto the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but rather
    to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

-
    SV650S/SV650 Superbike/R6/1150GS/Tuono R

Hannah- if you want to come by my place, I can do them for you.
    Motorcycle Roadracing Association #29
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

Quote Originally Posted by MileHighGSXR
    Hannah- if you want to come by my place, I can do them for you.
    I thought you were racing this w/e

Thanks for the offer but it's really something I want to do myself - it's the best way to learn!
    "Life is not a journey unto the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but rather
    to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

-

ssg you might want to take milehigh up on it your first time doing this. It's not technically hard to do, but you want to avoid things like contaminating the brake fluid, and at all costs getting air in the lines. Air in the brakes = you not stopping, plus the air will heat and cause your brakes to squeeze down at fairly bad times. Otherwise just keep the fluid off your fairings, cause it destroys paint like nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe
    ssg you might want to take milehigh up on it your first time doing this.
    I do appreciate Jim's offer, but he's racing down in Pueblo this weekend, and Sunday the only time I have to do this. I do have a riding buddy who's done this before coming over to mine to direct me (translation: sip beer while I do the hard stuff ) and hopefully stop me making any serious gaffes.....(famous last words! )

I was hoping there might be some collective knowledge that you guys would be willing to share, independently of that, so I'm not going in totally blind.....

but you want to avoid things like contaminating the brake fluid, and at all costs getting air in the lines.
    OK, but the new lines are empty = full of air. So....what do I do???? Are there any specific things I should do/not do to prevent contaminating the fluid, or getting air in the lines? Help me out, please

So far, my thinking is as follows: bleed all the old fluid out, take off the existing lines, put the new ones on, refill from the master cylinder and pump through using the brake lever until no bubbles come through the tubing attached to the bleed nipple at the other end - making sure there's always enough fluid in the master cylinder so that no air is pulled into the lines..... am I on the right track?

Otherwise just keep the fluid off your fairings, cause it destroys paint like nothing else.
    Brake fluid is water-soluble, though, isn't it, so if I do spill some I should be able to wash it off, right? What about skin contact? Should I be wearing gloves?

-

The process you just described is pretty much the same way I went about it when I replaced my lines, Hannah.

Edit: I wouldn't soak your hands in brake fluid, but a little bit on the skin shouldn't kill you.
    Alex
    MRA #68
    http://www.3dstickfight.com/racing/
    Racing Performance Services, Racer Supply Co., Morse Racing Products
    ”Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature nor do the children of humankind as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing."
    -- Helen Keller

Quote Originally Posted by yakuza
    The process you just described is pretty much the same way I went about it when I replaced my lines, Hannah.

Edit: I wouldn't soak your hands in brake fluid, but a little bit on the skin shouldn't kill you.
    Thanks, Alex. Anything I should avoid doing, apart from a little brake fluid bathing?

Hanna

-

Hanna- Sounds like you got it down. The only other things I would recommend is use torque wrench when yo tighten the banjo bolts (very easy to over-tighten them) and put some old towels over your tank and fairings. Brake fluid will eat right through the paint if you spill it. Also, make sure you use Dot4 brake fluid only.
    Motorcycle Roadracing Association #29
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

Quote Originally Posted by MileHighGSXR
    Hanna- Sounds like you got it down. The only other things I would recommend is use torque wrench when yo tighten the banjo bolts (very easy to over-tighten them) and put some old towels over your tank and fairings. Brake fluid will eat right through the paint if you spill it. Also, make sure you use Dot4 brake fluid only.
    Thanks, Jim. Good point about the torque wrench, thankfully I invested in one of those some time ago. Good luck in Pueblo

-

Quote Originally Posted by surfinspacegirl
    Thanks, Alex. Anything I should avoid doing, apart from a little brake fluid bathing?

Hanna
    I think Jim covered the important things. I gotta reiterate how important it is to use a torque wrench -- I busted a banjo bolt in half the first time I did it even using a torque wrench, because I was an idiot and torqued it to the spec for a steel banjo instead of an aluminum one.
    Alex
    MRA #68
    ”Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature nor do the children of humankind as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing."
    -- Helen Keller

Thanks, guys I'll let you know how the brake bleed goes.

Any pointers on replacing the pads?

-

So far, my thinking is as follows: bleed all the old fluid out, take off the existing lines, put the new ones on, refill from the master cylinder and pump through using the brake lever until no bubbles come through the tubing attached to the bleed nipple at the other end - making sure there's always enough fluid in the master cylinder so that no air is pulled into the lines..... am I on the right track?

Otherwise just keep the fluid off your fairings, cause it destroys paint like nothing else.
    Brake fluid is water-soluble, though, isn't it, so if I do spill some I should be able to wash it off, right? What about skin contact? Should I be wearing gloves?
    1. Sounds good. Also make sure you start with the end of the new line in fresh brake fluid (as soon as the old stuff is out, throw it away) before you fill it.

2. It absorbs water, not the other way around. However it also will eat the paint instantly and soak into it, so even if you wipe it off you will still damage the finish. Definitely cover any part of the bike you might spill it on. Towels are cheap insurance compared to a paint job.

I concur about the torque wrench. I have one you can use (and any ratchet size you can think of), provided it's back in my garage as soon as you're done with it, if your friend isn't equipped with one. Though, does anyone here know what torque value to use on the banjo fitting? Either 7 or 15lbs rings a bell for some reason but I could be wrong.

1. Sounds good. Also make sure you start with the end of the new line in fresh brake fluid (as soon as the old stuff is out, throw it away) before you fill it.
    You've confused me here Do you mean refill with all new fluid (obviously), or something else?
    2. It absorbs water, not the other way around. However it also will eat the paint instantly and soak into it, so even if you wipe it off you will still damage the finish. Definitely cover any part of the bike you might spill it on. Towels are cheap insurance compared to a paint job.
    I know it's hydroscopic, but I thought I'd read somewhere it could be washed off, obviously not. Got it.
    I concur about the torque wrench. I have one you can use (and any ratchet size you can think of), provided it's back in my garage as soon as you're done with it, if your friend isn't equipped with one.
    I have my own torque wrench & ratchets but I do appreciate the offer

-

Loopty
    Pronounced with an "oopty"
    The brake pads are easy. Take the mouting bolts off and pull the retaining clip off of the pin, then you should be able to pull the old pads right off. Put the new ones on in reverse order. The left and right pads are different on the SV just so ya know. What kind of EBC pads did you get? I used to have the EBC HH ones, now I have the EBC race kit brakes. Both are a huge improvement over stock!
    MRA 33 (Retired)
    502- RIP my brother

I got the HH pads I did get the different left and right side ones, but one question (I'm double-checking!), is it left as you look at the bike from the front, or left as you sit on the bike ? Can't wait to see how the whole system works with the new lines & pads

The K&N filter went in last w/e & that's made a noticeable difference already, I'm hoping to get it jetted & dyno'd in the next 2 weeks or so. I'm picking up a new set of Dunlop 208s on Sat, so I am going to be a very happy girlie come Sunday night

-

Typically left and right is defined as you sit on the bike.

There's no feeling quite like new tires, it's amazing the difference that makes. I'll be buying a new set of Pirelli's for this weekends race, I can't wait to feel them.
    Alex
    MRA #68
    -- Helen Keller

Quote Originally Posted by yakuza
    There's no feeling quite like new tires, it's amazing the difference that makes. I'll be buying a new set of Pirelli's for this weekends race, I can't wait to feel them.
    I put over 9000 miles on the D208 I had on the front , and when I replaced it (for another D20 just before PPIR, it felt so wierd, the steering had totally changed- it felt... wrong . I suppose I shouldn't wait that long before changing front tires again, but I probably will

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderman
    I put over 9000 miles on the D208 I had on the front , and when I replaced it (for another D20 just before PPIR, it felt so wierd, the steering had totally changed- it felt... wrong . I suppose I shouldn't wait that long before changing front tires again, but I probably will
    My front has about 6000 miles on it right now.....time for a change, definately

-

Loopty
    Pronounced with an "oopty"
    Very nice Hanna, you will love the new pads. Talk about one finger stoppies! I would assume L/R from on the bike as well. They will only fit one way though, so it shouldn't be a big problem. Check this out guys, I got this in an email today, sounds pretty helpful for bleeding!!!

http://www.speedbleeder.com/
    MRA 33 (Retired)
    502- RIP my brother

When changing the lines on Chaos' SV we discovered that a little plastic pump attached to a tube off the bleeder valve made the job about 10 times faster and easier. They sell for ~$10 at the auto parts store. That valve isn't very big- take the bike to the hardware store to check for size for the tube- can't remember offhand what size we used.
    Then it's all about filling the res and pumping. Having a helper sit on the bike, work the lever, and fill is really nice. One bottle of fluid is plenty.
    Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderman
    My front has about 6000 miles on it right now.....time for a change, definately
    Hanna, when using HH pads with steel lines, I would recommend "high temp braking fluid" and whatever you do don't mix different viscosities of braking fluids (chemical reaction). The HH pads will transfer more heat into the fluid which under normal conditions has a boiling point of 300. The high temp stuff will go to 500 degrees.

thanks

C'ya

Jurgen

Quote Originally Posted by jwimbauer
    Hanna, when using HH pads with steel lines, I would recommend "high temp braking fluid" and whatever you do don't mix different viscosities of braking fluids (chemical reaction). The HH pads will transfer more heat into the fluid which under normal conditions has a boiling point of 300. The high temp stuff will go to 500 degrees.
    Wow, Jurgen, thanks for the tip. By not mixing I'm assuming draining out the old & replacing with new is enough?

-

Quote Originally Posted by jwimbauer
    Wow, Jurgen, thanks for the tip. By not mixing I'm assuming draining out the old & replacing with new is enough?
    Yep - replacing it is good enough as you are flushing the remainders out while pumping the new one in. Also, Hanna - they make "Speedbleeders" which are "one-way valves" to replace the stock ones on your caliber that work really well if you don't have a vacuum device. They are a LP item and should be available at bike stores with LP accessories.

Thanks

Jurgen

Awesome, Jurgen, thanks

-