Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: CSC Winter Food Drive 2008!

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

CSC Winter Food Drive 2008!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja View Post
    In these difficult times, and with the upcoming holiday season that is upon us, I encourage all of you to seek out the charity of your choice and give them something. Time, money, monetary items. It might make you feel better and will most definitely make them feel better that you did. My $0.02.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnairlover View Post
    This morning my 11-year-old told me about the canned food drive at her school, so I opened up the cupboard and put a few cans in a bag for her. It's the feeling you get knowing that you are still capable of doing something to make a difference even if your world seems like shit at the moment...cuz, ultimately it still doesn't compare to what others may be going through.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    And, before I ever helped anyone overseas, I think we ought to turn our attention to those fellow Americans who need our help:

(Salvation Army article was here)

So, if you have the means, and you're feeling generous and/or can put off that $7 Starbucks, why not help someone over here (possibly right in Denver)first?
    Alright, so I've been having this thought for a while now... Racing 2 Save Lives has a 43-foot cargo trailer that sits relatively unused this time of year. What if the CSC as a whole filled the thing up with food and delivered it somewhere like Salvation Army as a little "giving back to the community" present this holiday season? It would be a hell of a way to give back to thousands of people who really need it.

I guess my only questions are "why not?" and "how do we make it work"? How do we collect that much food in the next two weeks? I've helped run a charity for years that has given close to a quarter million dollars to kids in need, and I can tell you people will give when they're encouraged to properly.

Anyone else think this would be a good idea and are willing to commit to making it happen?
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Re: Any time you think you have it bad..

^^Host an event for which admission is two or three canned goods. Maybe a happy hour or CSC holiday gathering.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Im down to pitch in!! Let me know when and where.
    For My Diavan

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe View Post
    Alright, so I've been having this thought for a while now... Racing 2 Save Lives has a 43-foot cargo trailer that sits relatively unused this time of year. What if the CSC as a whole filled the thing up with food and delivered it somewhere like Salvation Army as a little "giving back to the community" present this holiday season? It would be a hell of a way to give back to thousands of people who really need it.

I guess my only questions are "why not?" and "how do we make it work"? How do we collect that much food in the next two weeks? I've helped run a charity for years that has given close to a quarter million dollars to kids in need, and I can tell you people will give when they're encouraged to properly.

Anyone else think this would be a good idea and are willing to commit to making it happen?
    How about starting w/ a radio station and getting a promotion going? I dunno, I've never anything like this... I know KBPI does their "The hand that feeds" in Nov, and Alice... wait maybe some other station might be interested...

Put me on the list to help out if you get something up and running.

***another thought, maybe get the trailer parked at a dealership or somewhere like Performance for a day or two and cross promote w/ the location and the local media? Fay's has the Santa there for the month on Saturdays, and if it's anything like last Saturday there weren't hardly any children there... even with the HOnda 50 drawing.

I'm sure our dedicated collection of post whores could hit up enough boards to spark some interest from the masses.
    Last edited by salsashark; Wed Dec 10th, 2008 at 12:51 PM.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

I have a friend who's mom is a higher up for KOSI and affiliated stations, I could give her a call and see what they'd be able to do if we need it.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

Gold Member Yearly Supporter McVaaahhh's Avatar

Great idea Ralph.

I'd certainly throw down some food donations for that.

I don't have an Escalade, but I think I'll hug my RC51 tonight.

I might even let Wicky touch it.

'02 RC-51 - Street
    '05 Pitster Pro 125 - Pitbike madness

Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to kill everyone you meet.

"Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride."
    ~Dave Karlotski

Quote Originally Posted by McVaaahhh View Post
    Great idea Ralph.

I'd certainly throw down some food donations for that.

I don't have an Escalade, but I think I'll hug my RC51 tonight.

I might even let Wicky touch it.
    Don't tease me.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter 64BonnieLass's Avatar

Good idea guys.
    Also, maybe the Southies could gather things on their Friday Bike Nights, Northies could gather on their happy hour and South Central do the same. I would be happy to meet the Southies half way some where to pick up their collection.
    This all in addition to some of the other good ideas posted.

I love this idea. And if we gave to a charity that somehow had a way of keeping things cold, I would be happy to purchase 10 turkeys for families in need. (maybe not a great idea, but an idea nonetheless)

Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    How about starting w/ a radio station and getting a promotion going? I dunno, I've never anything like this... I know KBPI does their "The hand that feeds" in Nov, and Alice... wait maybe some other station might be interested...

Put me on the list to help out if you get something up and running.

***another thought, maybe get the trailer parked at a dealership or somewhere like Performance for a day or two and cross promote w/ the location and the local media? Fay's has the Santa there for the month on Saturdays, and if it's anything like last Saturday there weren't hardly any children there... even with the HOnda 50 drawing.

I'm sure our dedicated collection of post whores could hit up enough boards to spark some interest from the masses.
    "Keep that "what if" thought in the back of your mind; it's the angel on your shoulder balancing the devil in your right hand."

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."

2005 SV650S Street

I think it's a great idea.

I'd suggest the following:

1. Contact Salvation Army (or whoever you ultimately want the food to go to) and see if they have suggestions, they do this as a living, they should be willing to help someone who wants to help THEM. In particular, see what they need.

2. Have someone (you or Mother Goose or whoever's willing) call all the local radio statios (except Alice) and see if they either can/will lend a hand by plugging the CSC "Trailer Full of Hope" (or whatever the F* you want to call it--though "The Creamed Corn and Beets Wagon" is probably most appropriate, it's disheartening) with some free air time. In addition to the "regular" stations see if local NPR will help.

3. Contact dealerships (GMs, marketing directors and/or owners--don't contact sales managers, they can't authorize anything) and see if they're willing to get involved, both by having their employees bring in donations AND by having them set park the CSC trailer on their property with signage promoting the CSC can drive.

--43' is a HUGE volume to fill with cans...I'm not sure we have the resources to fill it, but anything beats nothing.

4. Coordinate the radio spots with the dealerships so people know where to bring the cans (what dealerships are participating, etc).

5. Designate someone to go around and pick up the cans for the trailer.

6. Contact any local business that you either work for or have some relationship to and see if they'll write checks and/or have a can drive. Take whatever they donate in checks and buy whatever was on the list of needed items, copy the receipt for the business.

7. Contact King Soopers and other local chains to see if they'll help, either with donations or with discount prices if we get cash donations.

8. If you attend community events (CSC, Boy Scouts, Christian/Jewish/Satanic/Misc religious) hit them for donations.

9. Contact Chipolte and other chains to see if they're interested in helping.

10. Get a sign-up of CSC members who *will* be available to help with the pick-up and loading/unloading of the food.

11. Kick back and bask in the glow of self-satisfaction at actually having done something instead of just talking about doing something...the littlest good deed trumps the greatest good intention.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Even if they don't keep it cold, they might still use the turkeys, Terri. I think Denver Rescue Mission makes big turkey dinners and would probably love to take 'em straight to the cookers.

Wicky give your friend a call and see what they think.

than sincere ignorance

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Good idea. Maybe Food Bank of the Rockies? It might be hard to pull something of that magnitude off in two weeks though. Maybe we could do something like this in the summer when we could turn it into a riding event that gets some positive press for sportbike riders (for a change). And maybe talking to the people at FBR would help align the timing of the event with the time of year when they tend to run leanest with donations?

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Right-Wing Nut-Job DavidofColorado's Avatar

Great ideas and good PR for the club. You guys have got me beat with the spirit of giving.
    "My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." Thomas Jefferson

Wicky give your friend a call and see what they think.
    Will do. I'm a Mammoth season ticket holder, I could call them and see if they'd do some sort of promotion for the pre-season game. Bring a couple cans, get a free ticket? Don't know how that would work though. I just see KTCL giving away tickets all the time.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

All great ideas!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post

2. Have someone (you or Mother Goose or whoever's willing) call all the local radio statios (except Alice) and see if they either can/will lend a hand by plugging the CSC "Trailer Full of Hope" (or whatever the F* you want to call it--though "The Creamed Corn and Beets Wagon" is probably most appropriate, it's disheartening) with some free air time. In addition to the "regular" stations see if local NPR will help.

3. Contact dealerships (GMs, marketing directors and/or owners--don't contact sales managers, they can't authorize anything) and see if they're willing to get involved, both by having their employees bring in donations AND by having them set park the CSC trailer on their property with signage promoting the CSC can drive.
    Yep, definitely. One distinction, the trailer is going to have Racing 2 Save Lives in 43-foot-wide graphics on the side. So maybe the CSC / R2SL "whatever".

--43' is a HUGE volume to fill with cans...I'm not sure we have the resources to fill it, but anything beats nothing.
    Not just cans, but really anything not imminently perishable. Way back when, they used to want things that could last for months and months; now I suspect it will be used within a few weeks. Cereal, mac and cheese, that sort of stuff. 43' of cans is also going to exceed the weight rating on the thing, so boxes of dry goods will be a logistical necessity.

5. Designate someone to go around and pick up the cans for the trailer.
    That'll be me. I just can't organize this whole thing myself, however I'm really blown away at the suggestions and interest so far! This club has almost gone from nothing to food drive in like an hour.

than sincere ignorance

BTW, is this going to be a CSC affiliated thing? Or R2SL thing?
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

Gold Member Yearly Supporter mtnairlover's Avatar

I love the idea. To add to what Ghost already posted....we should get representatives from the various regions, ie. Northies (tru-North up here in Loveland, Ft. Collins and Greeley), Central folks (that's everyone in Denver/Boulder Metro) and Southies (C-Springs and Pueblo) to round up their contingents.

I'm not sure if this effort should be centralized or just do it in each of our regions. I like getting stoked about things and the more the merrier, so I'm inclined to round up folks in my area and get as much as we can up here to throw into the R2SL trailer. I dunno, but I'll see what others up here think.
    ...ready to take on the world...one canyon at a time...

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    Good idea. Maybe Food Bank of the Rockies? It might be hard to pull something of that magnitude off in two weeks though. Maybe we could do something like this in the summer when we could turn it into a riding event that gets some positive press for sportbike riders (for a change). And maybe talking to the people at FBR would help align the timing of the event with the time of year when they tend to run leanest with donations?

Dirk
    Unreasonable times call for unreasonable actions. Hard isn't impossible.

than sincere ignorance

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Goose View Post
    BTW, is this going to be a CSC affiliated thing? Or R2SL thing?
    It will be CSC's effort, however I'm going to put up the R2SL trailer for this thing so the names of both groups should be used.

than sincere ignorance

Roger that. Want to make this it's own thread?
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

Quote Originally Posted by mtnairlover View Post
    I love the idea. To add to what Ghost already posted....we should get representatives from the various regions, ie. Northies (tru-North up here in Loveland, Ft. Collins and Greeley), Central folks (that's everyone in Denver/Boulder Metro) and Southies (C-Springs and Pueblo) to round up their contingents.

I'm not sure if this effort should be centralized or just do it in each of our regions. I like getting stoked about things and the more the merrier, so I'm inclined to round up folks in my area and get as much as we can up here to throw into the R2SL trailer. I dunno, but I'll see what others up here think.
    I'd say designate regional heads, then have them co-ordinate with a central director to co-ordinate the pick-up.

If we were *really* organized, the regional leader could have volunteer "teams" to help them out...

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Goose View Post
    Roger that. Want to make this it's own thread?
    Probably best...move the related posts over to it too....
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Unreasonable times call for unreasonable actions. Hard isn't impossible.
    No reason we can't do both. I'm sure people are hungry in July too. Everybody gets all fired up about this kind of thing around Christmas. Might be nice to get fired up about it some other time of the year too.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

I'm in to help as well!

Whatever we end up doing for an actual event, we're gonna need some kind of organization of volunteers too. Maybe some kind of sign up sheet/phone list. Show up wearing your favorite CSC gear.

We could also do a "Can Hunger" ride similar to the toy ride. everyone shows up with a couple cans of something in their backpacks. Maybe take a tour around town, swinging by all the major bike shops. If you can have the trailer follow to attract some attention, then you could stop at each bike shop before heading to whatever main event you want to have a shop with a larger parking lot like Fay Myers. Since there are lots of connections going on, maybe we could look at sponsorship from some dealearhips, Go Fast, Colorado Sportbike Rentals, or some of the other vendors present at Bostons.

Hell we have enough stunnas for a little show?
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

1. Fill R2SL trailer with food.
    2. Sell food.
    3. Donate profit to High Plains Raceway

Re: CSC Winter Food Drive 2008!

I'm in to help as well!

Whatever we end up doing for an actual event, we're gonna need some kind of organization of volunteers too. Maybe some kind of sign up sheet/phone list. Show up wearing your favorite CSC gear.

We could also do a "Can Hunger" ride similar to the toy ride. everyone shows up with a couple cans of something in their backpacks. Maybe take a tour around town, swinging by all the major bike shops. If you can have the trailer follow to attract some attention, then you could stop at each bike shop before heading to whatever main event you want to have a shop with a larger parking lot like Fay Myers. Since there are lots of connections going on, maybe we could look at sponsorship from some dealearhips, Go Fast, Colorado Sportbike Rentals, or some of the other vendors present at Bostons.

Hell we have enough stunnas for a little show?
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]