Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is forced medical insurance legal?

AKA "Devaclis"

Is forced medical insurance legal?

My company wants me to provide proof that I have insurance through my wifes work or they will force me to enroll in their insurance program. I told them that that is a violation of my privacy and I will not agree to have my personal information, including SS#, given to parties I do not approve of. Can they legally do this? If I refuse to provide them with my current insurance information, which they have no right to review, and they FORCE me to enroll, I am gonn burn the building down.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Re: Is forced medical insurance legal?

sounds wrong to me
    http://www.rapidfirebunker.com
    $15 FFL TRANSFERS. $15 Private Transfers
    Emergency Preparedness Store, Survival BULK Food, knives, Guns, Ammo, FREEDOM

AKA "Devaclis"

I have scoured my employee handbook, our benefits website, and tried to communicate with our HR director. I am finding nothing that states that they can do this, even tho they are threatening to do so.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Do you get any kind of $ kickback for opting out of your company's plan?

AKA "Devaclis"

Nope. It is not a $$ issue. It is the fact that they are going to give my personal information to companies I do not want having it. That CANNOT be legal.

You should just burn the building down and be done with it, you won't have to give any info after that.

Douche Yearly Supporter Sortarican's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Devaclis View Post
    I have .... and tried to communicate with our HR director....
    How'd that go for ya?....you cunt.

Give them the info without your SSN.
    The only ones that have the right to demand your SSN are the IRS, some banking accounts, and your employer (upon hire) for the IRS.

Back when I turned 18 and had to register for selective service they asked for it on the form.
    I left it blank since an ACLU rep. told me it was illegal for them to demand it.
    They sent me a letter thanking me for registering but asking for my SSN again.
    I sent my response telling them to pound salt and they never bothered me again.
    (Though I'm sure it's in my "permanent record" with the Fed.)

I complained to our HR dept. about our insurance using our SSN as our ID# and printing it on our cards.
    The insurance company finally changed it's policy and began using different numbers.

Send this article to your HR Dept.:
    http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/...acy/P33718.asp
    Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet.

Quote Originally Posted by Big-J View Post
    You should just burn the building down and be done with it, you won't have to give any info after that.
    Nope, after that all he has to worry about is where it hide his stuff when they toss his cell.

MRA Racer No.427

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Here's one opinion:

http://www.insure.com/articles/healt...icipation.html

I'd talk to a lawyer.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

AKA "Devaclis"

ok, SSN# aside, how can they FORCE me to take coverage? Is this not some kind of personal privacy violation? Somewhere, some company will have access to my medical records.

Not to mention the fact that I am really just pissed that someone is trying to force me into something without my will. Like a fucking helmet law. it is because of all of your cry babies out there that I have to have imposed insurance. Go back to your government controlled community gardens and harvest up a huge crop of suck my ass you hippies!!!

AKA "Devaclis"

Hahaha Dirk, that is exactly what I did not want to hear

I am contacting a lawyer. This is BS.

Like I said, that's one opinion. I've heard others. It probably depends on state law (or perhaps even local law).

Dirk

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

They will not have access to your medical records. Under the HIPPA act no doctor can give your records without your written consent. Just let them enroll you, who cares as long as they're not pulling it from your check, if they are they can't make you enroll. If they pay it 100% they can.
    08 CBR 1KRR RED
    Lots of goodies, more to come
    06 Big Dog K9 custom

AKA "Devaclis"

I care. I did not choose to be enrolled in their insurance. I ALREADY have insurance. I do not roll over when people want to do things without my consent.

The only way this would be legal is if having medical insurance was a requirement for your job. Most of the time this is for hazardous jobs with a high injury rate. Other than that they shouldn't require it for anything.
    13 BMW F800GS, 01 Suzuki DRZ 400S
    "It's not about the destination. It's about the ride"
    www.colorado2wheels.com

They are probably getting a kickback from the insurance company for signing you up. It is probably legal for then to force you to sign up because this state is an "at-will" state, which means they can pretty much do what ever they want.

I work for the gov. I used to work at the AFA until we got contracted out. when the contractor offered us a job, they said that unless we could prove that we had med insurance from another source, we would be required to take theirs'. Their insurance cost about $800 a year and had a $5000 deductable per year before it payed for anything, then it only payed 80%.
    THERE ARE TWO KINDS OF RIDERS: THOSE THAT HAVE CRASHED, AND THOSE THAT ARE GOING TO CRASH.

All contractors or anyone else working on our property is required to have proof of minimum insurance requirements.

AKA "Devaclis"

I HAVE insurance. I am covered better than this company could ever hope to insure me for. The problem, for my wife not me, is that I will quit a job over crap like this. It is not right and I do not put up with things like this. Call me stubborn, and ass, or whatever. Just because some people roll with shit like this does not mean I have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaclis View Post
    Call me stubborn, and ass, or whatever. Just because some people roll with shit like this does not mean I have to.
    I call it principled.

Dirk

--Thomas Jefferson

AKA "Devaclis"

My HR director just called and told me they will make an exception. I asked why it has to be an exception and not just let it be my choice and she said: Because the insurance is provided to you, by the company at no cost, they have the right to ask you for proof of "other coverage" if you deny the plan. I told her that is correct, they have the right to ask, and I have the right to refuse. She told me to just be happy they made an exception and to not push the issue. So now she is getting all Joe Pesci on me. I pushed the issue. I asked if I would get fired if I refused to provide the info, if requested. She said, it is a possibility. I asked her to send me the link, book, paragraph, rule, or law where it states that as an employee of this company I have to provide this information. she said, "well it is really not written down to pertain to this situation exactly".

I told her that I needed to get back to surfing the internet and I asked her to not bother me again over this "problem" unless I was fired. She got huffy and hung up.

Bitch.

Dana next time tell her

AKA "Devaclis"

She is MUCH better than our last HR director. As Jeff mentioned above, she called me a cunt. No shit. She is no longer here.

CUNT is not bad
    According to Colorado University president Elizabeth Hoffman, the word cunt can be used as a term of endearment for a woman. University spokesman Michele Ames, defending Hoffman, noted that she is a medieval scholar, and that Chaucer himself used "cunt" in a positive light.

So she LIKED you

AKA "Devaclis"

Umm, no, she meant it the bad way