Thread: Laid Off-Merry Christmas!

Exclamation Laid Off-Merry Christmas!

Hey, I'm Elliot and I'm unemployed. I just got laid off today, guess I found out early what my boss is getting me for Christmas, hugh? Anyway, I'm a degreed mechanical engineer. I did reliability work for John Crane for 1 year, was a test engineer for Caterpillar for 2 years and have been a design engineer for Caljan RiteHite for the past 4 months before the bottom fell out and they started chopping heads.

I am looking for pretty much anything at this point, manual labor included. Also, if there are any members working in law envorcement, I would really like to talk about your work and the police accademy, as I have been interested in becoming a cop, detective specifically, for quite some time now. I really considered it before I got the enginreering after moving to Denver, but had a really good offer from Caljan.

Any ideas, feal free(ha, since I don't have a job!) to call me at 303-720-1361.

Thanks!!
    "Leze Le Bon Temps Roulet"
    Let The Good Times Roll!!

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter 64BonnieLass's Avatar

Re: Laid Off-Merry Christmas!

Hey there.
    Contact firefighter (sp) for firemen jobs. Or at least have that discussion regarding possibilties and what is required. I don't know him, but his posts are usually "nice guy" oriented. I think he will share his knowledge with you.
    Contact: Shit guys, who's the cop on here, can't remember the username for the life of me....Jeff Nick_Ninja knows....crap....

I am a technical recruiter by trade. I am happy to help you any way I can as I have for many others here. (they help me with mechanical bike shit, which I'm a girl at, and I do my part where I can)

Send resume to tgulli3711@msn.com. Word.doc please. Although I recruit DW/BI now, I used to recruit for traditional engineering. Maybe I can help, maybe I can't. But I'm happy to try.
    Last edited by 64BonnieLass; Fri Dec 12th, 2008 at 07:26 PM.
    "Keep that "what if" thought in the back of your mind; it's the angel on your shoulder balancing the devil in your right hand."

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."

2005 SV650S Street

I am a Corporal for the Detention center here in Laramie County, Cheyenne, Wyoming. We are always hiring. Most Law Enforcement agencies are. Becoming a Detective ususally takes a few years working the streets as a 'beat cop' before advancement opportunities present themselves. Here you start out in the Detention Center as a Deputy and test for the road after a couple years. Then a couple years on the road, and you can test for Defective. Whoops, Detective I meant.

Good Luck and if you are interested in working for Laramie County, Give Gerry (Jerry) Luce a call at (307)633-4725. Tell 'em Corporal Brown sent ya.

Keep your head up, things will get better.

For the most part, the folks on this board are great and will help if they can.

You Deserve What You Accept
    Whatever, I didn't vote for him.

sorry to hear about you job loss.

I have several friends/customers that are police officers. I can get in touch with them for info if you would like.
    mike
    No doubt about the future, No regrets about the past!

email sent
    It works! Slow in, Fast out
    "Sarcasm is difficult to convey on the internet, especially if the people reading it don't know you personally". By Spiderman
    Neither irony nor sarcasm is argument. By Rufus Choate
    Be smart, be nice, do what'cha love and always have fun.
    Let food be your medicine, and medicine be your food. - Hippocrates
    I will use treatment to help the sick. I will never use it to injure them or wrong them. I will not give poison to anyone. - The Hippocratic Oath

Quote Originally Posted by 64BonnieLass View Post
    Hey there.
    Contact firefighter (sp) for firemen jobs. Or at least have that discussion regarding possibilties and what is required. I don't know him, but his posts are usually "nice guy" oriented. I think he will share his knowledge with you.
    Contact: Shit guys, who's the cop on here, can't remember the username for the life of me....Jeff Nick_Ninja knows....crap....
    Yeah, I'm going to try to schedule a couple ride-alongs this week. I would like to speak with as many people involved in Law-enforcement as possible.
    I am a technical recruiter by trade. I am happy to help you any way I can as I have for many others here. (they help me with mechanical bike shit, which I'm a girl at, and I do my part where I can)

Send resume to tgulli3711@msn.com. Word.doc please. Although I recruit DW/BI now, I used to recruit for traditional engineering. Maybe I can help, maybe I can't. But I'm happy to try.
    Thank you very much. I'll send you my resume shortly.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Dub View Post
    I am a Corporal for the Detention center here in Laramie County, Cheyenne, Wyoming. We are always hiring. Most Law Enforcement agencies are. Becoming a Detective ususally takes a few years working the streets as a 'beat cop' before advancement opportunities present themselves. Here you start out in the Detention Center as a Deputy and test for the road after a couple years. Then a couple years on the road, and you can test for Defective. Whoops, Detective I meant.

Good Luck and if you are interested in working for Laramie County, Give Gerry (Jerry) Luce a call at (307)633-4725. Tell 'em Corporal Brown sent ya.

Keep your head up, things will get better.

For the most part, the folks on this board are great and will help if they can.
    Thanks Corporal. I'm looking for something in the Denver area now, and I'm gonna keep looking into being a cop. Engineering can be pretty boring and I would like to do something that makes a real difference in people's lives.
    Quote Originally Posted by hcr25 View Post
    sorry to hear about you job loss.

I have several friends/customers that are police officers. I can get in touch with them for info if you would like.
    mike
    Thanks Mike. I'd like to know how being a cop affects their families and home life, as well as what the day-to-day work is like. I've heard that cops get really bored as well, so I just wanna see what I could be getting myself into.

Quote Originally Posted by dapper View Post
    email sent
    I'll send my resume your way tomorrow morning.

On the engineering front...I know NREL is always looking for engineers. Dunno if your skills are applicable or not, but it is quite possible!

http://www.nrel.gov/employment/job_openings.html

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter t_jolt's Avatar

+1 on NREL
    Mitsujagvettecedes 1000RXTS GTR

Hand built by Jerry Garcia, Dan Gurney, Chuck Norris and Duntov's ghost. GT97 turbo,
    8WD, berilium pistons, titanium rods, unobtanium crank. Block forged from the dead souls of Mongol warriors. Depleted Uranium Dog box, Flubber tires, and stage 87 axles.

-1.07 @5.7c

Quote Originally Posted by Squisha View Post
    On the engineering front...I know NREL is always looking for engineers. Dunno if your skills are applicable or not, but it is quite possible!

http://www.nrel.gov/employment/job_openings.html
    Quote Originally Posted by t_jolt View Post
    +1 on NREL
    Thanks guys! I registered online so we'll just see what happens.

Do you guys know of anyone (engineering/HR) that I could drop in and talk to?

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter t_jolt's Avatar

i know one of the network security guys over there. ill see what i can do
    Mitsujagvettecedes 1000RXTS GTR

Hand built by Jerry Garcia, Dan Gurney, Chuck Norris and Duntov's ghost. GT97 turbo,
    8WD, berilium pistons, titanium rods, unobtanium crank. Block forged from the dead souls of Mongol warriors. Depleted Uranium Dog box, Flubber tires, and stage 87 axles.

-1.07 @5.7c

2005 Yamaha YZF-R6 (SOLD)
    2013 Yamaha FZ6R
    Stupidity should be painful.

RTD is crying for engineers! Even offering a bonus!
    I know that mostly C.E.'s are needed, but it's worth a shot.
    PM me and I'll give you contact info.

Quote Originally Posted by elf View Post
    RTD is crying for engineers! Even offering a bonus!
    I know that mostly C.E.'s are needed, but it's worth a shot.
    PM me and I'll give you contact info.
    Just went through their site, and yeah, there looking for pretty much only C.E.'s. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

fire jobs are kinda on a hiring freeze right now but i have seen some police jobs posted on craigslist
    Knee2Ground Racing

Yeah, even when fire is hiring, its tough(read 5 years in co springs) to be able to get a fulltime position. good luck on the hunt. ive made it through 3 lay off rounds. each time gets a little easier.
    Firefighters find them hot, leave them wet