Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Students file complaint against CU for campus gun ban

Right-Wing Nut-Job DavidofColorado's Avatar

Students file complaint against CU for campus gun ban

Students for Concealed Carry on Campus, along with Mountain States Legal Foundation, has filed a complaint against Colorado University (including all of their campuses), claiming their campus ban on the carrying on concealed firearms for students, faculty and visitors is not legal and is dangerous to those who carry for self defense.

Link To the Complaint

Link to the background
    "My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." Thomas Jefferson

Gold Member Yearly Supporter McVaaahhh's Avatar

Re: Students file complaint against CU for campus gun ban

I don't enjoy infringing on anybody's rights, but I'm thinking that the fewer guns on a college campus the better.

Really, 18-22 yr-olds do NOT need to be carrying guns to class/bars/frat parties
    '02 RC-51 - Street
    '05 Pitster Pro 125 - Pitbike madness

Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to kill everyone you meet.

"Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride."
    ~Dave Karlotski

Resident Hater Site Admin Canuck's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by McVaaahhh View Post
    I don't enjoy infringing on anybody's rights, but I'm thinking that the fewer guns on a college campus the better.

Really, 18-22 yr-olds do NOT need to be carrying guns to class/bars/frat parties
    I agree. But what about the 32yo student, like myself. ;-)
    RIP Gene. You are a good friend that will be missed. I'm Gene Bazyl Bitch!!

This sort of ignorant thinking allows things like Virginia Tech to happen. Maybe you were a dumb ass frat 18-22 year old but that doesn't mean we all were. Also, you can't get one until you're 21. I have carried since I was 21 and have NEVER had any issues, EVER. I have friends who carry as well who also have NEVER had an issue. I dated girls whos fathers I shot with and they always told me that if anything were ever to "go down" they would hope their daughter was in my class. Also, you can't carry in a bar and be drunk. I know plenty of people who have no business carrying, and these are the people who won't do what it takes to get a permit anyway, so don't worry about it. Those of us who do know what it takes also understand the liability involved.

This ban is bullshit and CU is going to have to eat their words. I can carry at CSU and the sheriff has noted a few times that "CSU will never be a Virginia Tech." In case you failed to notice 1) criminals don't follow the law and 2) Since they don't, they'll take a gun (or a small arsenal) into a place where they KNOW they'll be unopposed. Now how much sense does that make??
    08 CBR 1KRR RED
    Lots of goodies, more to come
    06 Big Dog K9 custom

AKA "Devaclis"

Wow, I am really torn on this one.

Is it a government building? Campus? Can you carry on any government campus or in any government building? Has the ability to carry at this school ever been an issue? If not, then why the change? Pro-active fear mongering is still fear mongering.

What if one of them shoots us?

What if someone gets ahold of their gun and goes nuts?

Well.....

What if someone chokes to death on the dime bag you just sold them?

What if a new student, who is allergic to patchouli, dies in your dorm room?

What if you get strangled with a flannel shirt?

Man, I think we should outlaw everything, make you stay in your green home with your hypoallergenic furniture and your monitored internet/tv and just let everyone else but YOU decide what is safe for YOU. That make you feel all good and fuzzy?
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

http://www.rapidfirebunker.com
    $15 FFL TRANSFERS. $15 Private Transfers
    Emergency Preparedness Store, Survival BULK Food, knives, Guns, Ammo, FREEDOM

And insulting me is supposed to accomplish what exactly?

I know plenty of people that carry and I have no problem with CCW or the 2nd ammendment or guns in general. I just think it's a bad idea to have guns on a college campus.

I went to CSU myself and IMHO the college campus is just not the right atmosphere for guns. Yes, there are college students that could handle it just fine, but I believe that the majority of them could not. These are the same kids who ride around with their helmet strapped to the side of their bike, and do keg stands. You really want them carrying?

Saying that allowing guns on campus would prevent another VT incident is just another 20/20 hindsight argument. Requiring body armor for all students would have prevented it as well...

Quote Originally Posted by PROFLYER View Post
    This sort of ignorant thinking allows things like Virginia Tech to happen. Maybe you were a dumb ass frat 18-22 year old but that doesn't mean we all were. Also, you can't get one until you're 21. I have carried since I was 21 and have NEVER had any issues, EVER. I have friends who carry as well who also have NEVER had an issue. I dated girls whos fathers I shot with and they always told me that if anything were ever to "go down" they would hope their daughter was in my class. Also, you can't carry in a bar and be drunk. I know plenty of people who have no business carrying, and these are the people who won't do what it takes to get a permit anyway, so don't worry about it. Those of us who do know what it takes also understand the liability involved.

This ban is bullshit and CU is going to have to eat their words. I can carry at CSU and the sheriff has noted a few times that "CSU will never be a Virginia Tech." In case you failed to notice 1) criminals don't follow the law and 2) Since they don't, they'll take a gun (or a small arsenal) into a place where they KNOW they'll be unopposed. Now how much sense does that make??
    '02 RC-51 - Street

"Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride."
    ~Dave Karlotski

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
    I agree. But what about the 32yo student, like myself. ;-)
    Your Canadian, so the only danger with you carrying would be you shooting yourself in the foot.
    '02 RC-51 - Street

~Dave Karlotski

I look at it as a legal issue that needs to be resolved. If you ignore all the fear mongering and evil stigmas that you have been force fed about guns and just look at it as a right not being recognized it makes it a no brainer.

Its just a stubborn administrator that has a little bit of power and is used to getting their way. Think about it like segregation in the schools in the south. They need to keep an open mind.
    "My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." Thomas Jefferson

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

I work at CU and I'm here to tell you that the general student population here shouldn't be allowed to carry water pistols yet alone real firearms. These kids are supposed to be our front-line to compete with the Chinese and Indians? I don't think they could pass the test with the help of Sylvan Learning Centers.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

'02 RC-51 - Street

~Dave Karlotski

Pandora-11

I have a 19 year freshman on the CU campus (although she lives in a condo off campus). I do not want the general population carrying weapons. They are not ready for this kind of action. Immaturity and drunken parties is a recipe for disaster!
    I want the police and security to protect the students, not other students.

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Completely taking the "rights" issue out of it for a moment, my general feeling is that most young college students are impulsive, stupid creatures. I think the chances of something bad happening increase geometrically if a bunch of them show up armed, than if we just play the odds on the remote chance of a campus shooting and the time for law enforcement to respond.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Pandora-11

If students are allowed to carry weapons...I will pull my child out of there so
    fast!!

AKA "Devaclis"

Are people currently allowed to carry on campus?

Why are you guys sending your kids there? Oh no!! They could already be dead!!

Really, is it the guns you are afraid of or the impulsive/drunk/high/immature kids that are going to school with your kids? These kids, YOUR fucking kids, could just as easily kill others with a car, am overdose of drugs/alcohol, auto-erotic asphyxiation gone wrong, whatever. Guns are not going to kill students. Your retarded kids are gonna kill students.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Right now the issue is not just that allegedly young and immature students can't carry. NOONE is allowed to carry on campus, unless they are specifically authorized. This means that my wife can't carry a pistol for self defense, because she works on campus. The permits for CCW are not available to those under the age of 21 anyhow. But as it currently stands, the only people being barred from carrying on campus are those that are law abiding in the first place. Having seen the caliber of the Kampus Kops at Fitzsimmons, let's just say I have a lot more faith in the ability of my wife to defend herself than for them to do so. After all, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Pandora-11

Quote Originally Posted by Devaclis View Post
    Are people currently allowed to carry on campus?

Why are you guys sending your kids there? Oh no!! They could already be dead!!

Really, is it the guns you are afraid of or the impulsive/drunk/high/immature kids that are going to school with your kids? These kids, YOUR fucking kids, could just as easily kill others with a car, am overdose of drugs/alcohol, auto-erotic asphyxiation gone wrong, whatever. Guns are not going to kill students. Your retarded kids are gonna kill students.

YOu obviously don't have a teenager....and some of the kids aren't retarded. Mine of course... She's a beautiful, smart, and mature student just looking for a her education. She doesn't doesn't need to be worrying abut who in his drunken state is going to pull a gun on her. The rest?......she can take down.

Most kids ARE RETARDED
    http://www.rapidfirebunker.com
    $15 FFL TRANSFERS. $15 Private Transfers
    Emergency Preparedness Store, Survival BULK Food, knives, Guns, Ammo, FREEDOM

Scers sidekick... PuhRobin Yearly Supporter Foolds's Avatar

I went to UNC they had the Illegal gun ban also, So I carried every day to class after I received my permit. Nobody knew. If I was caught I could be booted from school, but legally they couldn't stop me from carrying. But I didn't carry my gun to parties, or bars. To this day if I drink, the gun is in the safe. Most people who have permits are responsible persons of upstanding nature. Its not cheap in a college students budgets to get a permit, nor is it easy for a lazy person it takes effort.

As others have said, blocking guns only makes a criminal safe zone. If you are going to rob/Kill others you are already committing a crime who cares about a gun violation.

AKA "Devaclis"

Quote Originally Posted by Pandora-11 View Post
    YOu obviously don't have a teenager....and some of the kids aren't retarded. Mine of course... She's a beautiful, smart, and mature student just looking for a her education. She doesn't doesn't need to be worrying abut who in his drunken state is going to pull a gun on her. The rest?......she can take down.
    I have 2 kids that were moved from Florida to NY because of the violence in their schools. I have a sister who is now an adult but was at a school in Florida that was part of a violent shooting. I was witness to a disgruntled student killing another with a sawed off shotgun on the final day of school when I was younger. Don't assume I am as blind to what goes on at schools as you think I am. Have you ever seen this stuff first hand?

And of course your kids are smart, mature, and non-violent. ALL kids are, right? No parent thinks their kids are capable of anything but shitting roses and promoting world peace. All of your kids are perfect. Which is why this has never been an issue. /sarcasm

YOU, and I, have every right to NOT want guns in schools, or to WANT them there. That is why I love this country. I just do not think it needs to be a LAW. Want a kid to get a great education at a school that does not allow guns? Then find a school that will offer just that.

AKA "Devaclis"

One other thing:

If you have a CCW and can legally carry a gun on campus, you are TRAINED and CERTIED to carry that weapon. You are not you average dumbass carrying around a weapon. You are a CERTIFIED and TRAINED dumbass

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Here is the official campus position on firearms:

https://www.cu.edu/regents/Policies/Policy14I.htm
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

I think that if you have a lingering worry about trusting your kids around firearms you should do what you did when they started driving. Teach them a thing or 2 about safety and if you don't know then take them to a class. Knowledge about it is safer than ignorance. (the movie cast-away should have schooled you on that)

Pull your kids out if you are scared and years down the road you can look back and say that you were wrong for holding your kid back from school you shouldn't let them take online courses either because a predator might get to them while in a chat room.
    But at some point you might want them to move out and you will know that its time to let them go back to school, because all the fear about guns on campus being misused was deterred by all the lawfully armed students who never misused them.

If your kids are not responsible enough to have a gun then don't buy them one. Tell them that they will have to buy it themselves and pay for the CCW on their own. In most cases that will end it right there. If they are to irresponsible to do it on their own then they will loose interest and forget about it.

If the choice between a freedom that I choose to use or a rule that someone else chooses from me based on nothing but their own insecurities comes up I choose the freedom.
    Last edited by DavidofColorado; Mon Dec 15th, 2008 at 10:30 AM.

And insulting me is supposed to accomplish what exactly?

I know plenty of people that carry and I have no problem with CCW or the 2nd ammendment or guns in general. I just think it's a bad idea to have guns on a college campus.

I went to CSU myself and IMHO the college campus is just not the right atmosphere for guns. Yes, there are college students that could handle it just fine, but I believe that the majority of them could not. These are the same kids who ride around with their helmet strapped to the side of their bike, and do keg stands. You really want them carrying?

Saying that allowing guns on campus would prevent another VT incident is just another 20/20 hindsight argument. Requiring body armor for all students would have prevented it as well...
    Speaking to the ignorance of your first post wasn't meant to be an insult, but how you feel is your problem.

Have your opinions, you're entitled to that, but carry states and places that allow permit holders to carry are safer places. When was the last time you saw a gun shop robbed? If 7-eleven allowed each clerk to carry in its stores armed robbers would skip them over and try the kum and go instead. Kids doing keg stands are not the type to make it through all the stuff it takes to carry, so worry not.

The point is, allowing law abiding citizens who have taken all the necessary steps to legally cary is a win for all involved. It creates safer establishments and I challenge you to find ONE case where someone who could legally carry went on a rampage. However, you can find MANY cases where someone who can legally carry stopped what could have been much worse. Think back to the church in the Springs last year, imagine if the lady hadn't shot that guy and he had made his way into the church where there were hundreds of people gathered....with 15 mags and an assault rifle. Does that mean we should ban assault rifles? Hardly, but it does prove that legal carry is the answer as we will never know how many people could have died.
    08 CBR 1KRR RED
    Lots of goodies, more to come
    06 Big Dog K9 custom