Thread: Help with the garage door

Pandora-11

Help with the garage door

Does anyone know why one of the garage doors will not come down when the weather dips below 30 degrees? It'll go up.... just not down unless I get out of my car, go back into the garage, and hold down the button.
    The other one works just fine.

Re: Help with the garage door

On mine there are two small dials, one for opening and one for closing, that adjust the force the motor delivers. Closing takes a decent amount of force as the motor is working against the garage door spring. Anyway, if there is a cover over the light, the dials are probably under that (that's where mine are anyway).

Pandora-11

What do I do with them? Thanks.

By trial and error, turn the 'close' dial until it works properly under similar conditions as to when the door doesn't shut. Should be plenty chilly right now. I think this should solve your problem. ??

I suppose you could test the downward force by trying to stop the door during closing. See how much it takes each door before it reverses direction. Obviously, you don't want to do this in the bottom foot, but about midway during closing. Then compare the two doors, and that might answer if that is the culprit.
    Your grammar makes my head hurt.

1994 YZF750R

Pandora-11

I'll try it...thanks.

Also, you should check(if equipped) the break beam. With the cold, the wood of the garage contracts, and might make the beam out of alignment.

And grease is best, but you could WD-40 the wheels in the tracks to check for one/some of them sticking.
    Your grammar makes my head hurt.

1994 YZF750R

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

I recommend a good heavy cat. When it's cold, tie the cat to the door. The extra weight will help pull it down. If this doesn't work at first, just get more cats.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Pandora-11

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe View Post
    I recommend a good heavy cat. When it's cold, tie the cat to the door. The extra weight will help pull it down. If this doesn't work at first, just get more cats.

Tried WD-40...no go. Haven't been up on the ladder yet though. Car was parked under the opener.

Tried first the white cat named Lucky....he just meowed constantly.
    Then tried second huge orange longhaired cat named Elliott....he looked bored. Neither was any help. Dog Molly barked a lot...no help there.

Heck...maybe just call Overhead Garage

Pandora-11

Hey.....duct tape????

Exposed Member Lifetime Supporter Bashed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pandora-11 View Post
    Does anyone know why one of the garage doors will not come down when the weather dips below 30 degrees? It'll go up.... just not down unless I get out of my car, go back into the garage, and hold down the button.
    The other one works just fine.

If you have to hold down your button to get the door closed your optics are out of wack and need to be adjusted or cleaned so that they tell the door there is no obstruction and it is OK to shut. You holding down the buttonis overiding that saftey feature.
    Peace BASh
    * Bash, Bashasaurus, Ms Bash, his neighbors or friends are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you being squidish, squid like, squirting ink, or waving your non-covered tentacles about in a squidy fashion. Nor is he or his associates responsible for any citations as a result of you hanging with SoCo. Any attempt to coerce, blame, question, or pin your loser-riffic behavior on any of us, or those who are considered us for the night, as well as people we like, to include Salma Hayek and Nicky Hayden, among others, will result in a profanity stricken series of post that mock and taunt you incessantly, as well as many of us adding such insults to our signature lines. Avoid taking SoCo before bedtime. Do not use if you experience faintness, dizziness, inverness, difficulty urinating or blotchy skin. If I steal a line, quote, avatar or image from a post you make on the internet, you're not getting credit.*

Quote Originally Posted by Speedwagon View Post
    Also, you should check(if equipped) the break beam. With the cold, the wood of the garage contracts, and might make the beam out of alignment.
    Theres my vote.... if not the wood moving, maybe even frost on the lens.... is your garage climate controlled? if not, on those days you have to hold the button, look at your lenses and see if they are frosted over..... actually i think those things have lights on them , i believe if a red light is on, that means its not interfacing with the other beam.

06 DR650SE

bwahahahah

Quote Originally Posted by Pandora-11 View Post
    Hey.....duct tape????
    funny thing, i didnt like the "safety feature" of those stupid eyes, but just disconnecting them doesnt work..... gives you the same results as them not being in sync, i even tried jumping the wires, but couldnt get the right combination, so i removed them from the door frame, pulled out all the wires and duct taped them together so they were in sync and sat them on top of my garage door opener, secured with duct tape also..... lol

06 DR650SE