Thread: Getting Movies to my TV

CSC co-founder

Getting Movies to my TV

I have a large library of Mpeg4 movies on the computer. I am wanting to get them out to the TV. I also want to take into consideration costs (service).

1) Does Tivo work without service? Can I wire the tivo to my tv & play the movies? I can change the format of the mpeg4 movies also.

2) Any other thoughts or ideas???

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!
    PHX, AZ

Re: Getting Movies to my TV

I built a new gaming computer and used my old computer as a media server. It's plugged into the TV and the stereo. We can watch internet movies (NetFlix) and whatever movies I've ripped to the computer.

Carl

Long Distance Gear Checklist 2002 Hayabusa - Now with 100,000+ miles!

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

If you have a newer tv, you might have a VGA hookup on the back. That's how I hook my computer up to my 37" LCD and use it as my monitor.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

There are lots of media servers out there that can do just what you're looking for. I'd recommend you go to the Media Server section on avsforum.com (link: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=39 ) and ask for a recommendation. Just make sure it can handle high-def bitrates. Many say they can on the box but in reality they can't...
    Last edited by pg_rider; Thu Dec 18th, 2008 at 03:18 PM.
    Paul G.
    2005 R1

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Quote Originally Posted by pg_rider View Post
    There are lots of media servers out there that can do just what you're looking for. I'd recommend you go to the Media Server section on avsforum.com (link: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=39 ) and ask for a recommendation. Just make sure it can handle high-def bitrates. Many say they can on the box but in reality they can't...
    Can I get a media server for my TV to read my SD cards and/or USB stick? It'd be cool to be able to scroll thru my pics.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

CSC co-founder

I don't really have an extra computer, but I also don't want to have it out in the living room. I don't really like clutter either.

Streaming would be ok, but not the option of choice. That's where I was thinking a Tivo box... I could carry the box to my computer, change out the files, & then plug it back into my tv.

Thanks for everyones help!!!

John
    PHX, AZ

Look at Orb
    http://orb.com/
    Jon

CSC co-founder

Quote Originally Posted by Player 2 View Post
    Look at Orb
    http://orb.com/
    Only problem, I don't have any of the such. Might be a good means for me to go pick up a PS3 though!!!!!!!!!!

I was actually thinking to pick up apple TV! Converting any movie to Mpeg4 is easy & apple TV does the rest!!
    PHX, AZ

PS3 and XBox 360 will do it for you. The PS3 is a nice setup. You get a blu-ray player to boot. My friend setup his PS3 to play his media library (divx & h264) from his Linux box using Mediatomb. The PS3 plays it better than his computer. It looks great on his 56" hdtv. Then he setup up his PS3 online account and we tested playing the content to my PSP remotely. Awesome setup... connect the PSP to any wifi connection an sign on to the sony account and his PS3 menu comes up on the PSP. Select a video to play and the PS3 gets it from his library, trans-codes it to PSP format, streams up on DSL at 856k and run perfect.

Found another option to Orb last night. I've always had problems with Orb streaming large videos.

Look for TVersity
    Jon

I just bought a ps3 for my flat screen and a wireless router and it pulls all my movies and music off my laptop.
    2006 Kawasaki 636

CSC co-founder

OK starting to get chub about PS3.... Can it read Mpeg4 & turn it into PS3 format?????

Basically, I can take almost any movie & convert it or copy it. I want to keep it digitally on Mpeg4 & then transmit it wirelessly or carry the box over & hard wire it to the box to show some movies.
    PHX, AZ

PS3 supports mpeg4 with the video H.264, DivX and Xvid codecs. mpeg4 can have other codecs as well so you should check what your's are. When you look at the file properties there will be an audio codec like aac or mpeg layer1/2 and then a video codec like Xvid, DivX, H.264/AVC, quicktime, nero, or 3ivx. H.264 is what blu-ray uses. Xvid is an open version of DivX. Here's a link to the ps3 manual: http://manuals.playstation.net/docum...filetypes.html

If you used h.264 when you ripped the content, it can be played on the ps3 or xbox 360 without having to transcode it.

I use my Xbox360 to stream movies, but they are in .avi format, so not sure what other files it supports.
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

If you use Tversity it'll stream most formats to the 360...
    Jon

CSC co-founder

Went to Fry's Electronics yesterday & purchased a 500Gb iomega ScreenPlay HD Multimedia Drive....

http://www.amazon.com/Iomega-34200-5...9893918&sr=8-3

Basically I'll throw all my movies on there & plug back into my TV. It's even got a remote. Netflix is gonna think I'm a Movie Junkie!!!!!!
    PHX, AZ

Quote Originally Posted by Player 2 View Post
    If you use Tversity it'll stream most formats to the 360...
    Nice, I'll check it out
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!