Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dirk, should we be scared?

Dirk, should we be scared?

Do we need to break out the tinfoil hats, and learn to send texts via smoke signals?

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...-breaches.html
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Re: Dirk, should we be scared?

Well the Mayans said the jig is up in 2012, maybe we're all gonna get cooked, solar wind style.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

I'm bringin the BBQ sauce

Leah
    05 Raven R1
    01 YZ250F

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TFOGGuys View Post
    Do we need to break out the tinfoil hats, and learn to send texts via smoke signals?
    It could get nasty. Power grids can also be affected by solar storms (e.g. the Spring 1989 storm and subsequent blackouts). At one point we were working on a solar weather center in my section here at SwRI but personnel changes led us in other directions. The Universe can be a nasty place at times.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

I remember cellphones and pagers not working then....Hmm.... this might not be a bad thing....
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Gold Member Yearly Supporter McVaaahhh's Avatar

The end is nigh.
    '02 RC-51 - Street
    '05 Pitster Pro 125 - Pitbike madness

Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to kill everyone you meet.

"Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride."
    ~Dave Karlotski

AKA "Devaclis"

There will be a pretty sweet Areola Borealis.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

bring it!!!
    bring the road warrior days!!
    be nice till it's time to no longer be nice

Quote Originally Posted by Devaclis View Post
    it would be cool to see one right before our faces are melted off with million mile an hour solar winds.

Leah
    05 Raven R1
    01 YZ250F

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

A Cisco support rep actually told us once that the cause for repeated failures in one of our routers was solar flares, since he couldn't come up with any actually useful answers.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Ralph, why you gotta hate science?
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe View Post
    A Cisco support rep actually told us once that the cause for repeated failures in one of our routers was solar flares, since he couldn't come up with any actually useful answers.
    I actually read an article a couple of months back that said the cause of some "soft"(seemingly random) failures in computer systems was caused by charged particles "flipping" transistors in microchips. Supposedly this is 10 times more likely in Denver than at sea level and 40 times more likely in an airplane at 36,000 feet. Apparently, as the circuits get denser, this is more prevalent, so NASA uses 486 based computers on the Shuttle and ISS, because they are more tolerant of the radiation. The "solar flare" explanation MAY still be though......
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Clever, dana.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
    Clever, dana.
    Old material. See what another birthday under the belt does to you?
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja View Post
    Old material. <snip...>
    Perhaps, but there's really never a bad time for "boob" dust-offs, is there?
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
    Perhaps, but there's really never a bad time for "boob" dust-offs, is there?
    Not at all ~Barnicle~
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Quote Originally Posted by TFOGGuys View Post
    I actually read an article a couple of months back that said the cause of some "soft"(seemingly random) failures in computer systems was caused by charged particles "flipping" transistors in microchips. Supposedly this is 10 times more likely in Denver than at sea level and 40 times more likely in an airplane at 36,000 feet. Apparently, as the circuits get denser, this is more prevalent, so NASA uses 486 based computers on the Shuttle and ISS, because they are more tolerant of the radiation. The "solar flare" explanation MAY still be though......
    A complete, grounded, Faraday cage should eliminate that. And, funny as it sounds, a complete, grounded, tinfoil enclosure would work. An F-cage is really simply a grounded, continuous metal shield around electronic equipment. Most cells, from my understanding, have die-cast magnesium cases for this reason. Also, the V1 detectors use mag cases to be undetectible to radar-detector dectectors in areas where they're illegal (some states and Kanada). the cheaper detectors do not. If the cases are plastic, you can have a metallic coating applied on the inside and it will achieve the same thing.

I can see some of the "flipping" occurring, although it might not be as bad as the article claims. We do testing for emissivity (sp?) and susceptability to outside EMI/RFI radiation at work on everything we do. I think, though, if this was really an issue with PC's, the box itself would be an F-cage. In addition, since most PC's are used indoors, if you can't get cell reception (as in our building), then you're IN an additional F-cage.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Yeah I've heard of it happening and know it's worse in airplanes (though being inside a large metal tube does help), but this case was complete and utter bullshit. It wasn't Denver (I think CA somewhere), and one switch out of dozens keeps breaking? Riiiiight. They swapped the hardware and all was good.

than sincere ignorance

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Quote Originally Posted by Devaclis View Post
    Northern bewbs? Sweet! (I think you meant aurora borealis .. or did you?)
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

The worst possible out come would be the loss of satellite communications and the power grid.

The fragile state of the power grid would make it more likely that this kind of thing could blackout large parts of this country, Canada and Mexico. The worst case would mean blowing transformers, which would take months to replace.

As for satellite, remember how bad it was last time when we lost the use of pagers. Since then we have become much more dependant on them for everything from GPS units in your car to cell phone traffic.

I don’t see road warrior and I do see us getting blown back to the 60’s.

MRA Racer No.427

AKA "Devaclis"

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    Northern bewbs? Sweet! (I think you meant aurora borealis .. or did you?)
    I know what I meant
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    As for satellite, remember how bad it was last time when we lost the use of pagers. Since then we have become much more dependant on them for everything from GPS units in your car to cell phone traffic.
    Yeah but that incident was not related to solar flares FWIW. I was an engineer for a paging company when that went down, we had fun that day. Got to go 4-wheel up several mountains and visit a bunch of urban sites re-aiming the receive dishes, after the sat (SBS-4 I think?) lost nav control and committed seppuku. Our company, along with many others, installed redundant sat feeds after that happened. One of our guys even invented some cool little switches that we could toggle remotely to flip our entire transmitter network to a new satellite. Best phone call we got during that was some frustrated lady wondering why I (being the engineer) wasn't "on my way up there" to fix the satellite. The CS rep responded with something about my space suit being broken. Classic.

than sincere ignorance

Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400