Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Riding adventure dreaming...

Gold Member Yearly Supporter mtnairlover's Avatar

Riding adventure dreaming...

I'd really love to do at least one wicked cool awesome adventurous several-day ride this summer.

Anyone got any hints, suggestions, places/sights to see, wanna join me...help with planning...whatever?

I have one or two ideas thus far...

Just ride down to Durango and over to Utah for 3 days.
    Ride to the coast of Northern CA...Redwood maybe.
    Ride up to BC/Alberta, Canada...do the glacier parkway (has to be mid-July).

I'm not sure what's gonna happen for me in the new year. I have plans to buy a place of my own by late May/early June. I've got a new job I love. I know moving will take some doing and will take some of my free time, which I don't have much of anymore...but...I really want to do something spectacularly adventurous...or somewhere thereabouts;-)

Tell me your thoughts.

I can be an awesome riding buddy, too...so don't hesitate if you worry about my riding style.

Or...this could all be me just dreaming...sigh...so share your dreams...what the hey.

Hope you guys are all gonna have fun tonight with the celebrations...stay safe and warm.

Happy New Year!
    ...ready to take on the world...one canyon at a time...

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

Re: Riding adventure dreaming...

Mazatlan, Mexico

MRA Racer No.427

Nice set of twisties outside of Mt. Rushmore.

Or you could always take a day trip with us to North Carolina to visit Deal's Gap.

Leah
    05 Raven R1
    01 YZ250F

I'm right there with ya...

Just started planning my summer adventure... Hopefully I can get 2 weeks off and then:

Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilsTonic View Post
    Nice set of twisties outside of Mt. Rushmore.

Or you could always take a day trip with us to North Carolina to visit Deal's Gap.

Sweet...I will be heading to Sturgis this year with some buddies in LA.Will have to check those roads out.

Also towing the bikes out to CA February 28th and hitting PCH....cant wait.
    For My Diavan

I'm doing Durango first weekend in June with friends from all over. Also planning another fly and rent/ride trip to San Diego in the spring. A 3 day trip out to Utah ... devil's backbone, Escalante area? Hmmmm... tempting.
    PCH is not much between San Diego and LA.. it gets better north of San Luis Obispo. MotoGP time?
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by Craven_Morehead View Post
    Sweet...I will be heading to Sturgis this year with some buddies in LA.Will have to check those roads out.

Also towing the bikes out to CA February 28th and hitting PCH....cant wait.
    Let me know about the roads in South Dakota. I've been itching to see those ones. So it's a toss up for me between going back out to the Dragon this spring or going up to see Mt. Rushmore.

Leah
    05 Raven R1
    01 YZ250F

AKA "Devaclis"

The Pie and I are doing some long weekend dual sport camping trips and then a week long trip with the bikes to do some off-roading/camping. No need to leave CO. There is a TON to do here
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Quote Originally Posted by DevilsTonic View Post
    Let me know about the roads in South Dakota. I've been itching to see those ones. So it's a toss up for me between going back out to the Dragon this spring or going up to see Mt. Rushmore.
    I haven't been either, a friend tells me great roads in the Black Hills ... except during Sturgis when it's clogged with motorhomes and cruisers.
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

say when and where!
    I'll roll with ya Cath.
    be nice till it's time to no longer be nice

We did an IBA run last summer up to Devil's tower... Once you get out on to the plains in WY, stay off the interstates. There are a plethora of 2 lane highways that are a blast to ride... but watch out for antelopes, those little bastards will bolt out in front of you in a second.

If you're heading up toward Mt. Rushmore, chances are you'll be riding 85... it's the only road we saw a cop on in WY... and we rode around the entire state that day.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter t_jolt's Avatar

I actually grew up around the black hills, its about 30 mins to the head from where some of my family lives now. Great view, and lots of great roads up in that area. Dont go around july, to many cars on the road. I like may, april up there. Still mildly warm, not to hot/cold. And the humidity is that bad that time of year.
    Mitsujagvettecedes 1000RXTS GTR

Hand built by Jerry Garcia, Dan Gurney, Chuck Norris and Duntov's ghost. GT97 turbo,
    8WD, berilium pistons, titanium rods, unobtanium crank. Block forged from the dead souls of Mongol warriors. Depleted Uranium Dog box, Flubber tires, and stage 87 axles.

-1.07 @5.7c

In 1984, some buddies and I rode from San Diego all the way down Baja on Highway 1 to Cabo. It was quite the adventure - almost getting blown off the road by a semi, buying gas out of an old milk jug and pouring it into our tanks using a T-shirt as a filter, and the Mexican cops just watching us blow by at high rates of speed.

It was a great ride and the scenery is awesome. I've always wanted to do it again.

Closer to home, a few years ago a friend and I were going to do a loop of northern and western Colorado. Unfortunately, things happened to postpone the trip and we never got to take it.

It's a 800 - 900 mile loop that goes through RMNP, over to Craig, to Grand Junction, through the Black Canyon of the Gunnison.
    2005 Yamaha YZF-R6 (SOLD)
    2013 Yamaha FZ6R
    Stupidity should be painful.

Since the title of the thread is "adventure dreaming"... Northern Italy to Spain along the south of France.

(yyeeaahh... riiiiiight)
    my Facebook, SpeedShots

We did an IBA run last summer up to Devil's tower... Once you get out on to the plains in WY, stay off the interstates. There are a plethora of 2 lane highways that are a blast to ride... but watch out for antelopes, those little bastards will bolt out in front of you in a second.

If you're heading up toward Mt. Rushmore, chances are you'll be riding 85... it's the only road we saw a cop on in WY... and we rode around the entire state that day.
    Actually the best to head up i think would to get of on 16 at new castle and then head to custer, and hit custer state park. Tons of curves, the you can 16 up to rapid spend the day/night and hit rush the next day..

http://maps.google.com/maps?client=f...,0.283241&z=12

I take this way in my car, its so much fun.

Hand built by Jerry Garcia, Dan Gurney, Chuck Norris and Duntov's ghost. GT97 turbo,
    8WD, berilium pistons, titanium rods, unobtanium crank. Block forged from the dead souls of Mongol warriors. Depleted Uranium Dog box, Flubber tires, and stage 87 axles.

-1.07 @5.7c

We did the Rushmore area a couple of years ago and rented a cabin up there (not during Sturgis) and it was great. Eventhough we got caught up in hail and bad rain storms, it was a lot of fun. Custer State Park was great.

We did a route through Colorado last year that took us through Durango. Wolf Creek Pass was one of the highlights as was going to Silverton. The roads to Silverton are now some of my favorites in the state. Those roads convinced me that I needed to get my sport tour bike to Dave of Single Track Mind for some much needed upgrades.

We are now planning on hauling the bikes to our home area of eastern Ohio for some riding. There are some surprisingly good twisties back there.

Next up will be going to Northern California for the usual rides there. Sonoma, PCH, Yosemite. Too many good places to go and so little time to do them.

Quote Originally Posted by t_jolt View Post
    Actually the best to head up i think would to get of on 16 at new castle and then head to custer, and hit custer state park. Tons of curves, the you can 16 up to rapid spend the day/night and hit rush the next day..

http://maps.google.com/maps?client=f...,0.283241&z=12

I take this way in my car, its so much fun.
    sounds all good... just pointing out my experience... I have no doubt there are better roads, but by the time we got to Eastern WY, we were already 15 hours into what was eventually a 23 hour ride.

No worries man, its about 5.5, hour drive from here in a cage doing 80-85 the entire way. Thanks Cathy, now im really considering riding this over summer...

Tyrel

-1.07 @5.7c

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

1998 ----- 8,000 miles

Canada via Yellowstone and Banff, AB
    Vancouver and Victoria
    PCH from Port Angeles to San Jose
    Yosemite
    Tahoe
    Hwy 50
    Durango, CO
    1500 miles of Ride the Divide to Steamboat
    Home

23 days ----- camped out most of the way.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Damn N_N...now that's an adventure...I'd love to see many of those places all over again, especially since it would be from 2 wheels instead of 4. I just asked my HR department what kind of vacation time I might have available for the summer time. We'll see how ambitious I can get after I get that info.

You all have some great trip ideas....just not sure I could get to North Carolina in a day;-)

Sash...will keep you on my list.

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

You definitely won't get to NC in a day (it took us 2.5 to drive back from VIR), but here are some details on a trip I plotted out last summer. Not sure when I will get to actually ride it, but basically it's here to Central-CA and back in a big northwest loop, over 5K miles. The best part - NO interstate highways, and some un-freakin-believable scenery and roads. You'll dip up into Calgary (even if I forgot to put it here, it's a quick trip once you're through Glacier) and then across the upper NW to PCH-1, and follow down through everything to the San Jose area. Then back up through the interior. This thing is so epic I just had to bump the post character limit on CSC to 20,000 to fit it all in. I spent a couple days on Google Maps dragging lines around to get it just right. Enjoy.

/
    Ft Collins to Laramie, Hwy 287
    Hwy 30 N to Medicine Bow
    487 N to WY-220, N on 220 to Casper
    W on Hwy 20 to Shoshoni
    SW on Hwy 26 to Riverton
    NW on Hwy 26 to Moran Junction (Grand Teton Nat'l Park, through Kinnear, Burris, and Dubois)
    S on 26 to Kelly turn off, camp at Gros Ventre
    \
    484mi, 9hrs 3min
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=e...5&ie=UTF8&z=12

/
    **Alternate - Camp in Yellowstone at Lewis Lake**
    Same as above, but continue N on 191/287 into Park and camp
    \
    579mi, 11hrs 29min
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=e...,1.535339&z=10

/
    Lewis Lake to Livingston, MT
    \
    136mi, 3hr 4min
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=e...3,2.941589&z=9

/
    Livingston to Browning (Just E of Glacier Natl Park)
    \
    295mi, 5hr 41min
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=e...89&ie=UTF8&z=9

/
    Browning to Elmo (Flathead Lake), Through Glacier
    \
    148mi, 3hr 15min
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=e...79&ie=UTF8&z=8

/
    Elmo to Lolo
    \
    94.8mi 1hr 45min

/
    Lolo to New Meadows ID (through SE of Nez Perce Nat'l Historic Park)
    \
    237mi, 4hr 55min
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=e...7,5.883179&z=8

/
    New Meadows to Enterprise, OR (Through Hells Gate)
    \
    161mi, 3hr 43min
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=e...4,5.883179&z=8

/
    Enterprise to Burbank, WA
    \
    141mi, 3hr 13min
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=e...3,5.883179&z=8

/
    Burbank to Enumclaw via Mt Ranier
    \
    216mi, 5hr 2min
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=e...5,5.883179&z=8

/
    Enumclaw to Seattle
    \
    38.5mi, 1hr 16min

/
    Seattle to Randle
    \
    101mi, 2hr 24min

/
    Randle to ~Columbia City, with Mt St Helens
    \
    123mi, 3hr 29min
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=e...,1.470795&z=10

/
    ~Columbia City to ~Seaside
    \
    95.8mi, 2hr 28min
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=e...5&ie=UTF8&z=10

/
    Seaside to Coos Bay, OR
    \
    214mi, 5hr 6min

/
    Coos Bay to Crescent City, CA
    \
    133mi, 2hr 52min

/
    Crescent City to Redway, through Redwoods Park and Humbolt Redwoods
    \
    149mi, 2hr 45min

/
    Redway to Fort Bragg
    \
    70.8mi, 1hr 37min

/
    Fort Bragg to Half Moon Bay (across Golden Gate, through San Francisco
    \
    200mi, 4hr 50min

/
    Half Moon Bay to San Jose (new):
    \
    64.8mi, 1hr 52min

------- Return --------

/
    San Jose to Red Bluff
    \
    245mi, 6hr 8min
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=e...,11.766357&z=7

/
    Red Bluff to Kalamath Falls, OR through Lava Beds National Monument
    \
    250mi, 5hr 45min

/
    Kalamath Falls to Bend through Crater Lake National Park
    \
    184mi, 4hr 18min

/
    Bend to Vale
    \
    264mi, 5hr 41min
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=e...8,5.883179&z=8

/
    Vale to New Meadows
    \
    110mi, 2hr 19min
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=e...1,5.883179&z=8

/
    New Meadows to Stanley (over Hwy 55 / Rainbow Bridge)
    \
    169mi, 4hr 14min
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=e...4,2.941589&z=9

/
    Stanley to Arco (through Craters of the Moon)
    \
    151mi, 3hr 18min

/
    Arco to West Yellowstone
    \
    166mi, 3hr 26min

/
    West Yellowstone to Jackson, via Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Park
    \
    132mi, 3hr 17min
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=e...4,5.883179&z=8

/
    Jackson to Rock Springs
    \
    172mi, 4hr 0min
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=e...1,5.883179&z=8

/
    Rock Springs to Vernal, via Flaming Gorge
    \
    110mi, 2hr 22min

/
    Vernal to Meeker, by Dinosaur National Monument
    \
    110mi, 2hr 5min
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=e...9,2.941589&z=9

/
    Meeker to Kremmling, over some god forsaken piece of pavement
    \
    128mi, 5hr 2min (slow road!)

/
    Kremmling to Lyons, via Rocky Mtn National Park
    \
    106mi, 2hr 36min
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Now THAT...is one helluva trip, Ralph!

I think I did that kind of dreaming last year sometime, as well. One of these days though, and not before it's too friggen late either;-)

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Yeah, I'm in the one of these days boat too. But I bought the 'Strom and am building it up to do that sort of trip, so it's inevitable fo sho.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Cool thread! Scruff Dog and I are looking to do a few more longer rides this summer too.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)