Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don't forget...

Don't forget...

Since I was 13 years old with my Suzuki TS-120 I decided that riding a motorcycle on January 1st was the prelude to a very good year of motorcycling.

Over the years I've done my best to accomplish this. One year there was so much ice that the best I could do was get all the cars out of the garage and have the shortest oval one could imagine but there was always some sort of ride.

Well, this year the weather is looking great for a excellent ride.... That is my sign that 2009 will be an excellent year for motorcycles.

Call it superstition if you want... but I'm a believer!!

(Don't knock it, this has worked for me over the last 40 years!)

HAPPY NEW YEAR and be safe!!!!

AKA "Devaclis"

Re: Don't forget...

We will be riding tomorrow. I hope it is warm enough for video
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

I like the way you think

Gonna have to get home on 1/1 and head out for a spin... before crashing on the couch to recover
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

New Years Day --- Monarch Pass --- 1996

"Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Don't forget the black-eyed peas and cabbage

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zetaetatheta View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu77t...s-and-cabbage/
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Pandora-11

Mike,
    That's called Hoppin' Johns... honey. Get your southern stuff right...you mississippi people.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandora-11 View Post
    Mike,
    That's called Hoppin' Johns... honey. Get your southern stuff right...you mississippi people.
    Hoppin John has rice---no rice

Pandora-11

Hoppin John has rice---no rice

YOur name is MIke isnt it? The rice is the good luck part....like in weddings...you dont want to leave that part out.

As long as it is warmer than it was today WOW... I need a scarf or something
    My 250 can beat up your 250...
    cause its a Ninja

YOur name is MIke isnt it? The rice is the good luck part....like in weddings...you dont want to leave that part out.
    then rice it'll be Mike is not my name--it is ZETA! You can call me me Mike though--if I can call you mommy.
    Last edited by zetaetatheta; Wed Dec 31st, 2008 at 03:23 PM.

AKA "Devaclis"

Quote Originally Posted by ghost-whiner View Post
    As long as it is warmer than it was today WOW... I need a scarf or something
    It's 51 out! Get that bike rollin'
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaclis View Post
    It's 51 out! Get that bike rollin'
    Well it was a bit colder at 7 in the morning ... but as soon as the work bell rings IM OUTA HERE!!!
    My 250 can beat up your 250...
    cause its a Ninja

Pandora-11

then rice it'll be Mike is not my name--it is ZETA! You can call me me Mike though--if I can call you mommy.
    mommy it isn't..... no

Is anyone getting together to ride tomorrow?
    "6 pairs of kicks is my definition of 12 steps"

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter 64BonnieLass's Avatar

Sounds like a great way to bring in the new year OKD. I think I'll do the same.

New Year's Day: Mostly sunny, with a high near 51. South wind 5 to 8 mph becoming northwest.

RIDERIDERIDERIDERIDE.
    "Keep that "what if" thought in the back of your mind; it's the angel on your shoulder balancing the devil in your right hand."

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."

2005 SV650S Street

AKA "Devaclis"

Man, it was nice out there today. Bear Creek Canyon is really clean and all but 1 car pulled over for us

Hope you got to get out and ride today!!

NO NO you got it all wrong.

Pork = Luck
    Greens = Money
    Blackeye peas = change
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

Pandora-11

Quote Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
    NO NO you got it all wrong.

Pork = Luck
    Greens = Money
    Blackeye peas = change
    my bad...rice for riches

Eat poor that day, eat rich the rest of the year.
    Rice for riches and peas for peace.
    - Southern saying on eating a dish of Hoppin' John on New Year's Day.

Hoppin' John History

Hoppin' John is found in most states of the South, but it is mainly associated with the Carolinas. Gullah or Low Country cuisine reflects the cooking of the Carolinas, especially the Sea islands (a cluster of islands stretching along the coats of south Carolina and northern Georgia). Black-eyed peas, also called cow peas, are thought to have been introduced to America by African slaves who worked the rice plantations. Hoppin' John is a rich bean dish made of black-eyed peas simmered with spicy sausages, ham hocks, or fat pork, rice, and tomato sauce.

This African-American dish is traditionally a high point of New Year's Day, when a shiny dime is often buried among the black-eyed peas before serving. whoever get the coin in his or her portion is assured good luck throughout the year. For maximum good luck in the new year, the first thing that should be eaten on New year's Day is Hoppin' John. At the stroke of midnight on New Year's Eve, many southern families toast each other with Champagne and a bowl of Hoppin' John. If it is served with collard greens you might, or might not, get rich during the coming year.

There are many variations to traditional Hoppin' John. Some cook the peas and rice in one pot, while others insist on simmering them separately.

Most food historians generally agree that "Hopping John" is an American dish with African/French/Caribbean roots. There are many tales or legends that explain how Hoppin' John got its name:

It was the custom for children to gather in the dining room as the dish was brought forth and h op around the table before sitting down to eat.

A man named John came "a-hoppin" when his wife took the dish from the stove.

An obscure South Carolina custom was inviting a guest to eat by saying, "Hop in, John"

The dish goes back at least as far as 1841, when, according to tradition, it was hawked in the streets of Charleston, South Carolina by a crippled black man who was know as Hoppin' John.

Got my fix!

Rode the bike to Breakfast before the sun came up for my normal morning coffee. Came back home and changed the tires on the old KZ1300. Wow, those bias ply belted tires are a mother to get off the wheel after 30 years. I had to stand on the lever arm of the breaker bar to bust the bead.

That took a lot longer than I expected but I still got a short 250 mile ride in anyway

Well we didn't get to Monarch pass, but we did a little riding around the neighborhood just to get the new bikes warmed up and cleared out!
    Bashed Bikes, Fat Kids Inc., JDH Welding /Mental made me follow him into that corner... And then he followed me down that hill and then Dallas followed too!

I got my ride in today, just a quick 45 miles but it was a ride. I saw a lot of bikes out (Elizabeth/Franktown/Castle Rock). but except for 1 GSXR, 1 older sportbike and 1 adventure-tourer they were all cruisers. Usually its the other way around, 1 Christmas I saw nothing but sportbikes

Rode the bike to run some errands today. Saw 3 bikes at the light at 470 and Santa Fe that looked familiar, and a few more on 470 on the way to Parker. Nice day to be out, and tomorrow should be even better! Cool that we can ride on January 1.

Damn.............I was fixing my fence from the wind.........still not done....Looks like Bash and GSXRscott are making good progress with the track bikes!
    COS Mille