Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone watching the bowl games?

Anyone watching the bowl games?

Being from the south, college football is in my blood. Sat is for football, Sunday is for riding (with a couple exceptions) once the football season starts.

So is anyone else watching the bowl games? Anyone want to meet up and watch the National Championship game? I know of places to watch, wouldn't say they are great, but they get the job done.

I usually end up watching all the bowl games (only missed a couple so far) so if anyone wants to meet up and watch Texas put a smackdown on Ohio State, might be better than watching them with my gf and dogs at home.
    The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR

Re: Anyone watching the bowl games?

texas isn't going to "put the smackdown" on Ohio State. I think it's going to be a closer game than everyone thinks, but texas will probably win.

Already got my watch'n spots picked out, enjoy the games tho!
    Last edited by MetaLord 9; Fri Jan 2nd, 2009 at 01:44 PM.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by MetaLord 9 View Post
    texas isn't going to "put the smackdown" on Ohio State. I think it's going to be a closer game than everyone thinks, but texas will probably win.

Perhaps, what the heck do I know, I am 4-10 or something like that on my picks so far.
    The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR

I'm not doing any better unfortunately!
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    Being from the south, college football is in my blood.
    I watched my beloved Clemson Tigers fall to Nebraska in the Gator Bowl yesterday because of the poor decisions made by our fortunately graduating QB. I like the new coach (Bowden should have been canned years ago.) so I'm looking forward to next year. The Broncos would be wise to draft James Davis if he doesn't get snapped up earlier. He's a tailback in the mold of Terrell Davis, although they're not related to my knowledge.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    I watched my beloved Clemson Tigers fall to Nebraska in the Gator Bowl yesterday because of the poor decisions made by our fortunately graduating QB. I like the new coach (Bowden should have been canned years ago.) so I'm looking forward to next year. The Broncos would be wise to draft James Davis if he doesn't get snapped up earlier. He's a tailback in the mold of Terrell Davis, although they're not related to my knowledge.

Dirk
    I was so pissed that Clemson dropped the ball on such a winable game. Even worse was BC giving Vandy their first bowl win in 53 years!!!! Oh, WTF! At least my team ended a pretty mediocre season with an exclamation mark with a thumping of Wisconsin.

I agree on Bowden, Clemson should have fired him years ago. Him going out mid-season was not the most professional way to do it, be it fired or quitting or forced out.

And whomever gets Davis will get a solid RB.

Um, so is anyone else watching Ole Miss hand Texas Tech their ass?
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by MetaLord 9 View Post
    Um, so is anyone else watching Ole Miss hand Texas Tech their ass?
    Yes, how sad is that? Baffling cause TT has played solid teams and beat teams better than Ole Miss. Perhaps Ole Miss is a jekle/hyde type team. They did lose to the Cocks, Vandy, Alabama (expected) and the Demon Decons. All decent but not great (except AL).

In TT's defense, it has been a month since they played a game and their offense relies on sharp route running and precise QB play, perhaps the layoff hurt.

Mark one more bowl pick I got wrong.

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

I was pulling for Clemson ---- as I can still HATE NEBRASKA. All non-attending (read not going bowling) Big-12 schools receive $250,000 per school for each attending (read playing in a bowl as they don't suck ass) a BCS sanctioned event.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja View Post
    I was pulling for Clemson ---- as I can still HATE NEBRASKA.
    Replace Nebraska with Georgia or South Carolina and you've got my view on the world.

Dirk

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Pandora-11

Wish it HAD been my Gamecocks! I'm from Myrtle Beach and my M.Ed is from there.

I pull for Clemson sometimes. My daughter chose CU over Clemson....boo.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandora-11 View Post
    Wish it HAD been my Gamecocks! I'm from Myrtle Beach and my M.Ed is from there.

I pull for Clemson sometimes. My daughter chose CU over Clemson....boo.

Haha, you have had a rough Bowl year! I lived in Columbia for about 10 months last year for work. Reminds me of a dirtier version of Tallahassee. Not quiet as nice but similar economics and demographics. I was pulling for the Cocks to win as well, but clearly I am like the kiss of death this year.

Pulling for Utah to beat Bama, but I don't think it will happen.

Even with SoS (Son of Sam) as the head coach I still like SC.

Replace Nebraska with Georgia or South Carolina and you've got my view on the world.

Dirk
    Limeted as it may be ..........
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

Oh --- and Sabin (highest paid coach in NCAA football + 6 mill per year) went down to the holy land ----- fucking Mormons.

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Sabin is a retard for being so pompus as to proclaim his team as being "the only undefeated from a real BCS conference".

Fuck Nick Sabin.

Fuck anybody who thinks only the "country club" conferences can play top-tier college football. (Much less that they're the only ones deserving of championships.)

Fuck the entire BCS fraud, and all of its proponents.

Here's to some day hopefully having a true college championship PLAYOFF system, and oh yeah...

ROLL UTES!!
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja View Post
    Limeted as it may be ..........
    There's no love for the Cornhuskers in this house either. We beat them as huge underdogs to win the national championship in '81. Dave Rimington got his butt whipped all night by a freshman named William Perry...

Dirk

--Thomas Jefferson

Dirk

I watched my beloved Huskers beat Clemson. It wasn't pretty and the Tigers had their chances but couldn't put it away.

GO BIG RED

You must be fast, 'cuz I was haulin' ass when I passed you.

Wade
    '01 TL1000S

Another version for TL is "sounds like Thunder - fast like Lightning"
    Imagine it was said by a Hardley rider!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nissn1 View Post
    theres no soul in R1's only r-soles

Quote Originally Posted by swademaster View Post
    I watched my beloved Huskers beat Clemson.

Dirk

--Thomas Jefferson

Hucking Fuskers

Exactly what the Huskers did to the Tigers.
    You must be fast, 'cuz I was haulin' ass when I passed you.

Wade
    '01 TL1000S

Another version for TL is "sounds like Thunder - fast like Lightning"
    Imagine it was said by a Hardley rider!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nissn1 View Post
    theres no soul in R1's only r-soles

Quote Originally Posted by swademaster View Post
    Exactly what the Huskers did to the Tigers.
    Yep. Or what the Clemson defense should have done to Harper (the Clemson QB). The defense played pretty well and the offense has two of the best RBs in the country so I don't understand why they felt like they had to give Harper so many chances to fuck up. He obliged unfortunately.

Dirk

--Thomas Jefferson

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Interesting article and interesting reader comments.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Good article. I agree on Utah being a split Champion since they got screwed on the bowl selections, they should be playing in the National Championship game. But I would prefer a playoff and this issue would not arise.

The comments below the article are prime example of the clueless fan support. One guy even commented he didn't know anything about Utah football but expected Alabama to beat them. Huh? How do you not know your opponent but just instantly expect to win?

I want playoffs and the more that the smaller conferences win, the more pissed they will get that they do not get equal representation. The more teams that get screwed out of a National title, the more they will complain. Eventually the BCS conferences will be forced by school, conference and public opinion to rectify the issue and get rid of the BCS and move to a playoff system.

Three Bowls left.

Go Texas
    Go Tulsa
    Go Oklahoma

Big Twelve rules