Thread: Need help with Title info!

Need help with Title info!

Ok so I will try to make this story as short as possible. Recently my dad who lives in Kansas City saw a 2006 Yamaha Vino 125cc scooter on craigslist here in Denver. He wanted me to go take a look at the scooter for him as it was a better deal than the ones listed in KC. It was a good deal and we worked out a deal on it and I picked it up from them a few months ago paying via paypal.

Here is the thing, the girl who owned it never had it registered as she only drove it on her farm (so she says). So all that was with it was the bill of sale and the paper from the dealer (cant think of the name of it buts its not the title, Im hoping my stepmom will call soon with what it is called so I can post that here). The Kansas DMV is saying she cant register it since it was never registered in CO originally. Does this sound correct? I really doubt the seller is going to do anything about it and now my parents have a scooter they apparently can't register. Can they get a salvaged title?

Thanks for any help!

Re: Need help with Title info!

You should be able to register it with a bill of sale and a Manufacturer's Statement of Origin. Otherwise, title it like you would a dirtbike in Colorado, then transfer the title to Kansass.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Sounds like they never got the title on it either so that means they have to apply for the title then transfer it to us. Does that make sense?

The lady at the CO dmv said something about applying for a Bond Title? Does anyone know what that is, I did a search and cant find anything.
    Last edited by TheStig; Fri Jan 2nd, 2009 at 03:44 PM.

Bonding a title is slow and expensive. If you are certain this scooter has never been titled, PM me and I'll walk you through the title process for titling it as if it were an off road bike being converted to street. If you have an MSO, you should be able to get a Colorado title without any issues. DON'T listen to the cashiers at the clerk's office, as they'll usually give you bad information and make your life a living hell. That's their job, and they're good at it.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

You might have to pay taxes on original purchase price if it only has the MSO.

A lot of us roadracers never title a bike that we are going to race so we sell them with the MSO and a bill of sale. If the new buyer is going to register the bike he would have to pay the taxes owed on it.
    mike
    No doubt about the future, No regrets about the past!