Thread: ++ Southern Colorado Road Info ++

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

++ Southern Colorado Road Info ++

This past weekend we blasted 1200 miles on the roads in southern Colorado. Our route and road conditions follow:

US 285 to Pine Junction / Deckers Road to Woodland Park

• --- These roads are well traveled by most in this site. Nothing of interest to report.

US 24 to Antero Junction (US285)

• --- This streach of highway is prety straight forward. The most noteable feature is that paving operations are underway from around the bottom of Wilkerson Pass to Hartsell.

US 285 to Johnson Corner (US 24)

• --- Good crusing. Too many Bag-o-Wine-o-s (Winnebagos)

Buena Vista west over Cottonwood Pass

• --- The east side of Cottonwood Pass is really fun. Lots-o-twisties. It is paved. The west side is dirt but VERY manageable on a sport bike. DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS ROUTE IN THE RAIN BECAUSE IT WILL BE SLICK AS SNOT. The road returns to pavement at Taylor Park however, there is construction for about 6 miles down the Taylor River drainage. It is again doable on a sport bike.

CO 135 to Gunnison US 50

• --- Fine blast down a good visability highway.

US 50 to CO 143 (Lake City Cut Off)

• --- The road is a blast. It has all the things you'd want in a roller-coaster type road. FAST straights, 100mph sweepers, and tight twisties (when you get to the tight twisties -- think about shutting it down because you are approaching Lake City and Johnny Law is known to hang.

Slumgullion Pass / Spring Creek Pass / Creed

• --- Two great passes. Slumgullion Pass is tight twisties on an up hill grade. Spring Creek Pass is high speed straights with high speed sweepers at altitude. THERE IS SAND IN SOME OF THE SWEEPERS AND IT IS THE SAME COLOR AS THE ROADBASE!

South Fork (US 160) / Wolf Creek Pass/ to Pagosa Springs

• --- Wolf Creek Pass is under construction (again). They are boaring a tunnel at the bottom of the east side. It's only for around 500 yards but a pain in the ass none the less. The west side has some road damage but this makes for nothing but a rough ride in places.

Pagosa Springs to Durango (US 160 cont.)

• --- HIGH SPEED CRUSING. HAVE YOUR RADAR DECTOR TURNED TO THE "ON" POSITION FOR BEST RESULTS .

Durango to Silverton

• --- Coal Bank and Molas Passes are in good condition. There is no construction at this time. The road is in need of some resurfaceing in places neer the top of Molas Pass but it is not a problem. DON'T LAUNCH IT COMING DOWN INTO SILVERTON. IT IS A THOUSAND FEET TO THE BOTTOM.

US 550 RED MOUNTAIN PASS / Ouray / Montrose

• SENIC -- VERY SENIC Road in great condition. Watch for bikes -- the motor powered AND the peddle powered type.

US 50 Montrose / Gunnison / Monarch Pass / Ponca Springs

• Mostly BOARING -- as far as Colorado roads are concerned. Monarch Pass is under construction. 20 - 30 minute waits for runaway truck ramp, bridge, and culvert construction. Two areas of construction on the east side and one on the west side. Pretty fun corners with NO traffic if you are first in line at the construction zone (i.e. GO TO THE FRONT OF THE LINE IF YOU GET THERE LATE!)

The rest of the trip is pretty much the beggining of this route. We came back through US 285 and South Park cuz it was snowing on top of Freemont Pass outside of Leadville. The weather cooperated and it was a trip that others could be judged by. NO TICKETS -- NO CRASHES -- RIDE FAST -- TAKE CHANCES
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Board Newbie
    Great writeup Nick.

My family's from Silverton and I get down there every year on the 'Busa. You kinda' let the cat outa' the bag though tellin' everyone about all the hidden treasures though. Oh well, at least it's far enough from Denver to keep most of the Front Range day riders away.

Tony

Don't Blame Me

Mtn Busa wrote:

You kinda' let the cat outa' the bag though tellin' everyone about all the hidden treasures though.
    The numerous paid touring organizations have, for years, produced brochures on US-550 and the Durango Silverton area.

This one really irks me: http://www.greatamericantouring.com/

I have friends that moved from Nederland to Telluride in 1980 then to Silverton in 1995. They are real happy there --- especially when the roads avalanche and they are stuck there for days on end! They don't worry about too many motorcycle trips then!
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

Nick,
    When are you taking your next camping trip via MC??
    Are you going to Mt. Rushmore in July?

Would you be hip to a 1 night stay in the Black Hills 8/2/03? You know...we may come across a biker or 1/4 million around that time of year.

July 4th (maybe.....................)

Harry Biker wrote:

Nick,
    When are you taking your next camping trip via MC??

Jessica seems to be into going on a road trip on the 4th:

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forum...pic.php?t=1267

----- but I don't know if it would include camping ----- but that don't matter cuz it's SUMMER and that camping bug got a strong hold on Ninja.

If any of you hard-cores want to go out on the 4th lemme know ----- I need to burn up the tires that I put on two days before Memorial Day