Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motoport Kevlar suit

Motoport Kevlar suit

Has anyone purchased a motoport kevlar suit? If so I'd like an honest review as this is the only suit I have found that appears to be suitable for racing/track that is not leather. Color choices are very bland but it actually seems fairly cheap considering it is custom made to your specifications and supposedly actually holds up better than leather.

http://www.motoport.com/Product.asp?Clv=102155
    The time to hesitate is through
    No time to wallow in the mire
    Try now we can only lose
    And our love become a funeral pyre

07 cbr600rr - cookie
    02 yzf600r - sold

Re: Motoport Kevlar suit

For street use it would be fine. It would not be allowed at Pueblo Motorsports Park. At PPIR it would be up to the organization renting the facility such as Rybo's Chicane Track Days. High Plains Raceway has probably not even thought about it yet but I would imagine that their requirements would be only only leather suits.
    Motorcycle Roadracing Association #29
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

Ugh I guess no track days for me then. Unless I feel like shelling out the dough and hoping to convince management to let me use them.
    Try now we can only lose

07 cbr600rr - cookie
    02 yzf600r - sold

Quote Originally Posted by Wyck View Post
    Ugh I guess no track days for me then. Unless I feel like shelling out the dough and hoping to convince management to let me use them.
    That kevlar suit is $799. For that price you can buy a nice leather suit.
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

Quote Originally Posted by UglyDogRacing View Post
    That kevlar suit is $799. For that price you can buy a nice leather suit.
    Yes but I don't eat or wear cows. I think it must be my goal in life to make things as complicated and difficult as possible because I can't find any gloves that aren't leather either. If I was entrepreneurial I would create my own. Unfortunately the only marketshare I would have is me so I would go bankrupt.

Edit...actually motoport makes Kevlar gloves too without leather.
    Last edited by Wyck; Mon Jan 12th, 2009 at 10:32 AM. Reason: I lied
    Try now we can only lose

07 cbr600rr - cookie
    02 yzf600r - sold

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Kangaroo --- the only way to go.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Get a kangaroo suit.
    Last edited by sky_blue; Mon Jan 12th, 2009 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Ninja'd by Ninja...damnit.

I thought you guys were joking until I googled it. Maybe I should have replaced the word cow with animal.
    Try now we can only lose

07 cbr600rr - cookie
    02 yzf600r - sold

I thought you guys were joking until I googled it. Maybe I should have replaced the word cow with animal.
    Ride much?
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

AKA "Devaclis"

Sometimes you have to make tough decisions like that. If your convictions are strong and just and you believe in them, your conscience is clear and you go without some things.

Take me for example. I will not do business with any of the sponsors for the ALICE morning show on 105.9. That means no Wendys Frosty or mm mm goooood double bacon cheeseburger for me. That sucks. I love them, with their meaty, fresh, warm, grilled, fatty, burger flavor. Hot beef chili, warm fries. YUM!! But I gave them up for my beliefs.

Very much like you. It is hard sometimes, but I suffer through it. I have other outlets for me beef needs. Do you have any other outlets for your track/need for speed needs? Maybe auto racing or auto-crossing?
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Kevlar is legal in some roadrace orgs, WERA for example, so it might be worth inquiring directly with the MRA.

edit: Just double checked and Kevlar is legal per the MRA rulebook so I don't know why any tracks in CO would not allow it.
    Last edited by CurtisRR; Mon Jan 12th, 2009 at 11:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja View Post
    Ride much?

Obviously not. I knew I was n00b but you guys make sure to drive it home every time I ask a question sheesh
    Try now we can only lose

07 cbr600rr - cookie
    02 yzf600r - sold

Quote Originally Posted by Devaclis View Post
    no Wendys Frosty or mm mm goooood double bacon cheeseburger for me. That sucks. I love them, with their meaty, fresh, warm, grilled, fatty, burger flavor. Hot beef chili, warm fries. YUM!! But I gave them up for my beliefs.
    OMG How do you survive!?!?!?!
    Try now we can only lose

07 cbr600rr - cookie
    02 yzf600r - sold

good ole kangaroo leather.

Obviously not. I knew I was n00b but you guys make sure to drive it home every time I ask a question sheesh
    Not n00b bashing. If you do ride you will sometime be forced to determine the value of protection in a separate hide (organic or synthetic) vs. skin-graphs. I suggest the former as the latter really sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by CurtisRR View Post
    edit: Just double checked and Kevlar is legal per the MRA rulebook so I don't know why any tracks in CO would not allow it.
    MRA doesnt do track days, except for sometimes doing race practices on Fridays. Since PMI is no longer running Pueblo Motorsports Park, it will be up to the new management company, FRM, to make that decision. If they dont promote any of their own track days and only make it available if a 3rd party (like Chicane) rents it, then it will be up to that track day organization. PPIR would be the same. High Plains is probably an unknown at the moment. Since Chicane is the only track day organization currently here in CO, Scott could probably shed the most insight on this.
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

All I got out of this thread, was a re-commitment to my love of Wendy's chili and Clicky_Jeff's pragmatism.

P.S.
    If textile is all you'll consider getting, then get the best textile you can afford. Let the chips fall where they may, when it comes to who will and who will not allow it, on their track.

[/thread]
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja View Post
    If you do ride you will sometime be forced to determine the value of protection in a separate hide (organic or synthetic) vs. skin-graphs. I suggest the former as the latter really sucks.
    Gah sorry I'm dumb.

If what the makers of the suit in question claim its ability to protect is superior to a standard leather racing suit. And they have a 7 year warranty where they will repair or replace for free. And somewhere else on their website it talks about Polyester/Polyeurothane textile jackets melting into the skin causing severe burns and scarring which honestly scared the crap out of me when I read it.
    Try now we can only lose

07 cbr600rr - cookie
    02 yzf600r - sold

Gah sorry I'm dumb.

If what the makers of the suit in question claim its ability to protect is superior to a standard leather racing suit. And they have a 7 year warranty where they will repair or replace for free. And somewhere else on their website it talks about Polyester/Polyeurothane textile jackets melting into the skin causing severe burns and scarring which honestly scared the crap out of me when I read it.
    There are no dumb questions. The melting factor is a consideration. I always consider that the animal that gave its all did so to save my butt. I always raise a glass hight for the poor creature that did that.

Just think of all of the poor defenseless grass that said cow must have ravaged. Had it coming if you ask me.

AKA "Devaclis"

You ever hear a carrot scream when you grab it by the hair and yank it from the only thing keeping it alive, the earth? No, because we have learned to grow carrots without lips.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

do wool & silk count as wearing animal too?
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Devaclis View Post
    You ever hear a carrot scream when you grab it by the hair and yank it from the only thing keeping it alive, the earth? No, because we have learned to grow carrots without lips.
    You kill me!

Quote Originally Posted by MetaLord 9 View Post
    do wool & silk count as wearing animal too?

Damn you! I thought silk was produced without killing the wormies but I was wrong.

According to Wikipedia "Commercially reared silkworm pupae are killed by dipping them in boiling water before the adult moths emerge, or by piercing them with a needle, allowing the whole cocoon to be unraveled as one continuous thread."

One more thing to add to the list of things that I can't have...Good thing I have never been a huge fan of silk to begin with.

As for wool apparantly it is more complicated and you just made me look at gross pictures of flies in people's eyes...don't ask it's complicated and you really don't want to know.

Oh and those jello shots are eating at my conscience now too.....
    Last edited by Wyck; Mon Jan 12th, 2009 at 05:19 PM.
    Try now we can only lose

07 cbr600rr - cookie
    02 yzf600r - sold

AKA "Devaclis"

Wow, there are really not many good alternatives to animal hide as a protector for track riding. You may wanna take this up with riders and develop a safer, more hippy like alternative. Could be money in it for you. Although, money is made from baby seals so you probably don;t like money either. Anywho, just a suggestion. Good luck finding something you can wear to enjoy the track!!!