Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: House Judiciary Committee passes Constitutional Carry 8 to 3

House Judiciary Committee passes Constitutional Carry 8 to 3

House Judiciary Committee passes Constitutional Carry 8 to 3

Nice work. Constitutional Carry -- HB1205 -- passed out of its committee yesterday and moved to the House Floor thanks to your calls and e-mails.
    State Rep. Chris Holbert (R-Parker) -- who is a long-time RMGO member and activist -- did a fantastic job of presenting the bill and framing the debate when presenting it to the House Judiciary Committee.
    Rep. Holbert told the committee that open carry in public areas is legal in most parts of Colorado and requires no permit, no fees, no training and no lists, but the second you cover the handgun with a coat or sweater you are required to obtain a permit.
    In essence, he said, it's a Coat Tax. Put your coat on, and you have to pay the tax. His bill would make that a voluntary tax, since there would be no need to pay the tax (acquire a permit) if HB1205 becomes law.
    RMGO Executive Director Dudley Brown then testified to the growing movement of states allowing permitless carry, and the many more which are considering passing just such a law. In Vermont, Alaska and now Arizona, there has been no increase in crime.
    Both of those messages resonated with members of the committee, and the bill passed with the votes of every Republican and even two Democrats.
    This is just one more great example of how effective your voice really is.
    Now the work gets tougher. The bill is headed for the House floor, where we really have to turn up the heat. If you and I want Constitutional Carry in Colorado, we must make politicians feel the heat with our phone calls and e-mails.
    The House Co-sponsors on HB1205 are:
    Acree, Balmer, Barker, Baumgardner, Becker, Bradford, Brown, Conti, DelGrosso, Holbert, Joshi, Kerr J., Looper, Massey, McKinley, McNulty, Murray, Nikkel, Priola, Scott, Sonnenberg, Stephens, Summers, Swerdfeger, Vaad, Waller.
    In addition, Reps. Bob Gardner, Daniel Kagan and Pete Lee have now voted for this bill in Committee.
    If you don't see your State Representative on either of these lists, they have not yet co-sponsored this bill or voted in favor of it yet. It is imperative that you take just a few minutes to do this simple two-step process before the House floor vote.
    If they are on this list, take a moment to contact them and tell them to keep up the good work and continue to support this important bill.
    1) Click on this link to find your State Representative if you don't already know.
    2) Call your Representative. The phone number for all State Representatives is 303-866-2904 or toll free at 1-800-811-7647.
    • Tell them you stand with Rocky Mountain Gun Owners.
    • Tell them it is vital they support Constitutional Carry in Colorado without further amendments.
    • And tell them you are watching their vote carefully and counting on their support.
    Again, you can reach all State Representatives by calling 303-866-2904 or toll free at 1-800-811-7647 and they'll connect you to your State Representative.
    Constitutional Carry in Colorado depends on your involvement.
    Please join us in the push to get this bill past the House.
    http://www.rapidfirebunker.com
    $15 FFL TRANSFERS. $15 Private Transfers
    Emergency Preparedness Store, Survival BULK Food, knives, Guns, Ammo, FREEDOM

Re: House Judiciary Committee passes Constitutional Carry 8 to 3

Great news!!!
    2006 Lexus GX470
    2010 Ducati Streetfighter
    2007 Ducati M695
    1994 Yamaha TZ250 (track smoker)

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by puckstr View Post

2) Call your Representative.
    Because of where I live, I have a feeling I would have a more productive conversation with a wall but I will let them know my position on this.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

it's always seemed a bit silly since the criminal doesn't care about a stinkin permit.

What's funny is anti-gunners get so worked up thinking everyone has a gun when in actuality, it's such a pain in the ass to do so that few people actually carry on a daily basis. Most folks, IMO, just don't want the gubberment telling them what they can and can't do.
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

Now we'll have dipshits that can't even park their cars carrying guns. If nothing else, for the cool factor. This is a terrible idea. If you want to carry that bad, show some commitment and go take a class!!!

Terrible, terrible idea!!!!!

The only thing good about this law, is that we won't have to pay every five years to keep our permits current. Kim just re-upped hers last week.
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerinWstuff View Post
    it's always seemed a bit silly since the criminal doesn't care about a stinkin permit.

What's funny is anti-gunners get so worked up thinking everyone has a gun when in actuality, it's such a pain in the ass to do so that few people actually carry on a daily basis. Most folks, IMO, just don't want the gubberment telling them what they can and can't do.
    It's not a pain in the ass. It's one class and some money. Show some commitment to a great responsibility!!
    Kim & Dean

re read my post Dean and get off your soapbox.
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

Soapbox? I read it a few times. What did I miss?

Anyone who wants to carry in this state already can. Show your commitment and take the class!!
    Kim & Dean

I took the class. I paid the $$$, and if this passes I want a refund.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim-n-Dean View Post
    It's not a pain in the ass. It's one class and some money. Show some commitment to a great responsibility!!
    Take the class, go the courthouse, go to a grocery store and get a money order, go back to the courthouse, go to the jail to be fingerprinted, go back to the courthouse and turn in papers, wait 90 days, phone call from sherrif, setup appointment to go back to courthouse, get photo taken and sign papers, wait a week for permit in the mail

Soapbox? I read it a few times. What did I miss?

Anyone who wants to carry in this state already can. Show your commitment and take the class!!
    I have a shoebox of holsters and clothes taylored for conceal carry. I also have permits in multiple states and travel for business. Carry is a pain in the ass.

Respecting the rights of businesses who do not want you to carry there and being aware of obscure signage is a pain in the ass. Being fluent in applicable law and knowing exactly what your rights are is a pain in the ass.

Few people take on this responsibility daily and choose to use their permit. Of all the people who've obtained a permit, I would speculate a guess that less than 25% of them actually carry on a daily basis.

People who want to carry, "cuz it's cool" also like to shoot and practice. The consequences for being right or wrong in a shoot aren't any different if you've had a class or not. Just because more people might have the right to carry protection without burdonsome permits, doesn't mean more people would be carrying - cuz it's a pain in the ass.
    Last edited by TinkerinWstuff; Fri Feb 25th, 2011 at 12:44 PM.

1999 DR650SE

Last edited by modette99; Mon Nov 7th, 2011 at 05:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by puckstr View Post
    I took the class. I paid the $$$, and if this passes I want a refund.
    I want my 3 dollah back!

Dean, I respectfully disagree. Yes, take as much instruction as you can afford, but don't make it mandatory. The right to self defense should not be restricted those that can afford to take time off work to take a class, shell out a couple hundred bucks or more to pay for the class, permits, fingerprinting, etc., take more time off to go apply (Tuesdays and Thursdays only, between 10 and noon or 1 and 3 only), wait 90 days for a governmental colonoscopy, and take more time off to go have their picture taken(badly) and pasted on a card. Criminals don't do any of the above, and the penalties are very light.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Take the class, go the courthouse, go to a grocery store and get a money order, go back to the courthouse, go to the jail to be fingerprinted, go back to the courthouse and turn in papers, wait 90 days, phone call from sherrif, setup appointment to go back to courthouse, get photo taken and sign papers, wait a week for permit in the mail
    Wow! I guess I plan better than you. If that was too taxing for you, why did you do it? Actually, I don't care.

Don't forget about buying the gun, too. Go to the store, pick out the one you want. Go home and spend hours online researching specs. and price. Go back to the store to look at it again and make sure it's the right one. Fill out some paper work. Go eat lunch waiting for approval. Get phone call from store. Go to bank to get money. Go back to the store to pick up weapon.

I have a shoebox of holsters and clothes taylored for conceal carry. I also have permits in multiple states and travel for business. Carry is a pain in the ass.
    I only have one holster. I got it right the first time. All the states I go to honor my Colorado permit. So, I guess I got lucky.

Respecting the rights of businesses who do not want you to carry there and being aware of obscure signage is a pain in the ass. Being fluent in applicable law and knowing exactly what your rights are is a pain in the ass.
    Wow! Again, this is too taxing for you? You shouldn't be carrying!

Few people take on this responsibility daily and choose to use their permit. Of all the people who've obtained a permit, I would speculate a guess that less than 25% of them actually carry on a daily basis.
    Who cares?!?

People who want to carry, "cuz it's cool" also like to shoot and practice. The consequences for being right or wrong in a shoot aren't any different if you've had a class or not. Just because more people might have the right to carry protection without burdonsome permits, doesn't mean more people would be carrying - cuz it's a pain in the ass.
    It's still not a pain in ass the to me.

Now, to piss off everyone else... Look how many people put stupid shit on their bikes just for looks, serves no purpose at all. Some things even decrease the performance. These types of people carrying scare the shit out of me! Do you have a fuzzy mohawk on your helmet?
    Kim & Dean

you've missed the point and I'm done with you.

1999 DR650SE

Now we'll have dipshits that can't even park their cars carrying guns. If nothing else, for the cool factor. This is a terrible idea. If you want to carry that bad, show some commitment and go take a class!!!

Terrible, terrible idea!!!!!

The only thing good about this law, is that we won't have to pay every five years to keep our permits current. Kim just re-upped hers last week.
    While initially I agree with you, Dean, they haven't had any problems in the other states that already allow this. That make me think we aren't going to have any more trouble after this law passes. When it comes to freedom vs control issues, I prefer to err on the side of Freedom, even if it might come with some downsides.

www.cocsba.com

'00 ZX12R
    '03 SV1000

Quote Originally Posted by TFOGGuys View Post
    I want my 3 dollah back!

Dean, I respectfully disagree. Yes, take as much instruction as you can afford, but don't make it mandatory. The right to self defense should not be restricted those that can afford to take time off work to take a class, shell out a couple hundred bucks or more to pay for the class, permits, fingerprinting, etc., take more time off to go apply (Tuesdays and Thursdays only, between 10 and noon or 1 and 3 only), wait 90 days for a governmental colonoscopy, and take more time off to go have their picture taken(badly) and pasted on a card. Criminals don't do any of the above, and the penalties are very light.
    Well... that's just how it goes with something that is this powerful.

Drivers license aren't just handed out, either. You have to take a test and prove you know the laws and more importantly, how to drive.

If people were responsible, then I would be all for this law. Like I said earlier, people can't even park their car. If this law passes, they can carry a gun easier than getting a drivers license. Just doesn't sound logical to me. Our state will issue a permit if you follow the procedure. So, follow it and show some responsibility.
    Kim & Dean

you've missed the point and I'm done with you.
    Yeah, that's funny! You give up too easy. That's why carrying is a pain in the ass for you!

So, do you have a mohaw?
    Kim & Dean

Yeah, that's funny! You give up too easy. That's why carrying is a pain in the ass for you!

So, do you have a mohaw?
    My neighbor has a mohawk and a ccw.
    www.cocsba.com

'00 ZX12R
    '03 SV1000

weeeeeee

Quote Originally Posted by jbnwc View Post
    While initially I agree with you, Dean, they haven't had any problems in the other states that already allow this. That make me think we aren't going to have any more trouble after this law passes. When it comes to freedom vs control issues, I prefer to err on the side of Freedom, even if it might come with some downsides.

I wonder if population has anything to do with it. I don't know the statistics on how big the populous is in these other states, but instate Constitutional Carry in a huge populous and I bet "accidental" discharges increase significantly.

Since everyone in Alaska was probably already carrying and definitely grew up with guns, I totally understand how that state has had no problems with the law.

I know waaaaay too many idiots in this state that would love to shove a gun down their pants. I hope they don't get their way!!!
    Kim & Dean

So, do you have a mohaw?
    You are unnecessarily combative on this issue. I'm not certain you have the correct mentality for CCW and should probably have your permit revoked.

I'll stay the course and walk away from a fight thanks.

1999 DR650SE

Quote Originally Posted by jbnwc View Post
    My neighbor has a mohawk and a ccw.
    ...but, is it on his helmet?
    Kim & Dean

I know waaaaay too many idiots in this state that would love to shove a gun down their pants. I hope they don't get their way!!!
    there's nothing stopping them, they just have to pay a coat tax.

1999 DR650SE

You are unnecessarily combative on this issue. I'm not certain you have the correct mentality for CCW and should probably have your permit revoked.

I'll stay the course and walk away from a fight thanks.
    First I'm on a soapbox and now I'm Combative? I can't help it that you can't see my face or hear my tone of voice. I'm simply stating my opinion. EDIT - I deleted the rest because I just don't give a shit.

I thought you were done...
    Last edited by Kim-n-Dean; Fri Feb 25th, 2011 at 02:02 PM.
    Kim & Dean