Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: $177,000.00 Bank error.

Gold Member Yearly Supporter McVaaahhh's Avatar

Re: $177,000.00 Bank error.

Oh, not debating ethics at all Dirk. Of course the moral and ethical thing to do is to return the money. The question, in my mind, is did they actually commit a crime? It appears that they did, but I don't necessarily agree that they are criminals and should do prison time.

And I do think my analogy is a bit closer.
    '02 RC-51 - Street
    '05 Pitster Pro 125 - Pitbike madness

Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to kill everyone you meet.

"Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride."
    ~Dave Karlotski

The sad part is, when you bring it to the bank's attention, they rarely even thank you for it. Not so much as a free toaster. But when they jacked up one of my deposits (shorted it about 3k), it was like pulling teeth on a rabid wolverine to get them to credit the overdraft fees and write letters to the recipients of the bad checks stating that it was indeed their error. Needless to say, I no longer deal with that particular bank.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter t_jolt's Avatar

Here is the thing, Morally, yes they should have said something.
    But there is a time frame that the bank can do this in. I know if you cash a "make believe" check and they put the funds into your account. ( saying that it cleared after the ten day waiting period) my bank has 3 days to take it back after they say its cleared. If they do not take it back in that time frame, then they dont get to take it back.
    Mitsujagvettecedes 1000RXTS GTR

Hand built by Jerry Garcia, Dan Gurney, Chuck Norris and Duntov's ghost. GT97 turbo,
    8WD, berilium pistons, titanium rods, unobtanium crank. Block forged from the dead souls of Mongol warriors. Depleted Uranium Dog box, Flubber tires, and stage 87 axles.

-1.07 @5.7c

Quote Originally Posted by McVaaahhh View Post
    To complete the analogy Dirk, don't you mean if you opened someones garage and parked your bike in there with the key in it and the signed title in the trunk, closed the garage and walked away?
    Yep his analogy is so flawed.

Dirk, leaving a key in the bike and parked and someone taking it is stealing. Having someone dump money into MY ACCOUNT on their own whether bank error or not is not stealing on my part. I did not ask for the money to be put into my account, and in fact should be able to charge a fee for holding the money in my account.

McVaaahhh is right on with his analogy.

Another one would be, someone tosses a brief case into your open front door and then comes back later and claims you stole it. No, you tossed it in my front door, so you then gave me the money whether or not you might of made a mistake on which house should not really legally bother me. Your mistake, so learn from it.

Gold Member

fuck banks..

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by modette99 View Post
    Yep his analogy is so flawed.

Dirk, leaving a key in the bike and parked and someone taking it is stealing. Having someone dump money into MY ACCOUNT on their own whether bank error or not is not stealing on my part. I did not ask for the money to be put into my account, and in fact should be able to charge a fee for holding the money in my account.
    No, Brian's analogy is flawed because he posited that someone PURPOSELY left the bike for you to take (i.e. the signed title). My analogy is spot on because your ability to ride off on the bike (take the money) exists because someone made a mistake and left the key in it (deposited money in the wrong amount). Nowhere in the banking mistake did the bank tell the people it was their money.

So, if you made a mistake and made a deposit with the wrong account number, you'd buy the argument that the other account owner could keep the money?

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

CSC co-founder

My BANK held CASH for about 25 days & then a check of 16K was bounced for insuficient funds to buy a house!!! I still had the receipts when I walked over the money from one bank to another across the street.

One stressful night of calling my bank Customer Service was hell. My down payment could be kept by the homeowner legally & I couldn't get it through the banks heads of what had happened.

When I finally gave up, I told the C.S. Rep that Bank One would soon be buying me my new house if I lost the deal due to their Screw-Up (They had no answer to WHY this had happened).

I soon got a phone call back, my ass kissed & close to $1K in cash & Best Buy gift cards issued to me. DAMIT... I was able to purchase the home!!!
    PHX, AZ

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    No, that wouldn't be an honest mistake. The bank didn't say "here, you won some money" and later try to take it back. They made a mistake that put money in someone's account. When the mistake was discovered, the ethical thing to do was to bring it to the bank's attention. I'm amazed that people are having trouble seeing that.

Dirk
    i'm with ya Dirk...
    Remember Yesterday. Plan For Tomorrow. Live For Today.

Current Stable:

'o5 SuzukiGSX-1oooR
    (Custom Street Fighter).
    'o6 Pitster Pro 50cc Pit Bike (125cc Big Bore Kit).

We could argue semantics until the wee hours of the morning. However, my point is this:

If you woke up tomorrow morning and there was a mint-condition RC30 sitting in your garage with the key in the ignition and a signed title in the trunk. No note that says anything, it's just parked there. Do you take that bike for a spin? Do you sign the title and go to the DMV and claim it as yours? Ethically and morally you should probably try and track down the owner of the bike, but legally did you do anything wrong?

Slightly different than walking down the street tomorrow and seeing a GSXR parked at the curb that somebody left the key in.

That's my analogy to an erroneous deposit into your account.
    '02 RC-51 - Street

"Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride."
    ~Dave Karlotski

We could argue semantics until the wee hours of the morning. However, my point is this:

If you woke up tomorrow morning and there was a mint-condition RC30 sitting in your garage with the key in the ignition and a signed title in the trunk. No note that says anything, it's just parked there. Do you take that bike for a spin? Do you sign the title and go to the DMV and claim it as yours? Ethically and morally you should probably try and track down the owner of the bike, but legally did you do anything wrong?
    But the title thing is where the analogy breaks down. The bank didn't tell these people that the money was their's (title signed over in your analogy). The more correct analogy is that I found the RC30 sitting in my driveway with the key in it. No signed title. If I tried to claim it as mine, it would be theft.

I'll leave it at that.

Dirk

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Brian... i love ya man, but i don't think you're going to win this one, lol.
    Remember Yesterday. Plan For Tomorrow. Live For Today.

Current Stable:

'o5 SuzukiGSX-1oooR
    (Custom Street Fighter).
    'o6 Pitster Pro 50cc Pit Bike (125cc Big Bore Kit).

So, if you made a mistake and made a deposit with the wrong account number, you'd buy the argument that the other account owner could keep the money?

Dirk
    The sure act of putting money into MY ACCOUNT means they thought I should have it. I have no control over WHO puts money into my account. Could of been Obama, my neighbor, or money owed and deposited from the IRS. It is my ACCOUNT, like this is my house, don't walk in and give me a gift and then come back to take it back.

But the title thing is where the analogy breaks down. The bank didn't tell these people that the money was their's (title signed over in your analogy). The more correct analogy is that I found the RC30 sitting in my driveway with the key in it. No signed title. If I tried to claim it as mine, it would be theft.

I'll leave it at that.

Dirk

I think the garage is a closer analogy. It's your garage and invisible to the rest of the world (just like the contents of your account). The only other person that knows the bike is in there is the guy who left it there (the bank).

Money doesn't have a title or bill of sale so that's why I included a signed title (just the seller portion).

Matty, just cause Dirk's a rocket scientist doesn't mean he's always right.
    '02 RC-51 - Street

~Dave Karlotski

The sure act of putting money into MY ACCOUNT means they thought I should have it. I have no control over WHO puts money into my account. Could of been Obama, my neighbor, or money owed and deposited from the IRS. It is my ACCOUNT, like this is my house, don't walk in and give me a gift and then come back to take it back.
    You didn't answer my question. If you put the wrong account number on a deposit slip and dumped $3K into someone else's account by mistake, would you consider it a gift to that person and let it slide?

Dirk

--Thomas Jefferson

Yep, your hung up on his title part. Okay bike does not have the title...legally you then still have the right to charge storage fees on a typical garage I would charge ($150 a month). As the home owner there does not legally have to set out to find the owner. Personally like the bank case I would leave the bike in the garage, take photos and start recording storage fees, late fees, and lock out fees and after say 6 months I'd probably part the thing out...or if you want to play it by the law like a storage facility then I would post it in the paper and hold an auction (how it works in Flint, MI)...or like I have done call someone and they pay you and they haul it away no questions asked...LOL

Title or no title you do not have the right to store something in someones garage without their consent.

You do not have the right to put money into someones account without their consent, unless your giving them the money. My account, like my garage, go get your own. Whether bank error or not, why should I have to do the leg work on who put money into my account. In this case it is a little harder as they obviously could see a few digits were added, but in other cases of bank error it is not so simple.
    Last edited by modette99; Thu Jan 15th, 2009 at 09:50 AM.

Argue semantics all you want.

Going back to the original story, these people took something that did not belong to them and now they're paying the piper.

Theft is theft... it's as simple as that. How is this so hard to understand?!

OK, now back to our regularly scheduled program.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

You didn't answer my question. If you put the wrong account number on a deposit slip and dumped $3K into someone else's account by mistake, would you consider it a gift to that person and let it slide?

Dirk
    Yes I would, you are the one writing the account number, why should you then be able to say nope that was not who I meant to give the money too. Morally wrong on the person to keep the money but legally they should be able too.

Otherwise, what if I owe you $3K and deposit that into your account like we agree on. I use cash, thus no way to cancel the check. Then I decide for whatever reason after 2 months to just claim to the bank "oh that is not the account I meant" and then they withdraw it from your account and make you bounce all your checks.

You wrote the number down, so if you can not handle a simple task like that then maybe you and your money should part ways. One thing I double and triple check is the account number I write down on a deposit slip.

Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    Argue semantics all you want.

Going back to the original story, these people took something that did not belong to them and now they're paying the piper.

Theft is theft... it's as simple as that. How is this so hard to understand?!
    OK, now back to our regularly scheduled program.
    Chances are they will not go to Prison over this, If they did not spend the money (just says they were about to buy a house). No Jury will convict on this, and if the people have clean records it is a waste of tax money to try them and send them to jail.

I know if it was me and a larger amount like some stories I posted, say around $5 million I would just transfer that money to 20 different accounts around the world and move to some 3rd word nation (west Africa is nice) and sit back and enjoy life on the beach. Might not be able to return to the US, but I could live with that. The problem with these people, they think $177K is a lot of money so they up and move, but within the US still...LOL I hope most here would not think $177K is life altering, yes it would help but not really change your way of living.

Yes I would, you are the one writing the account number, why should you then be able to say nope that was not who I meant to give the money too. Morally wrong on the person to keep the money but legally they should be able too.
    I didn't say you were giving money to someone. You are going to deposit a $3K check in your account but you mistakenly write the wrong account number on the deposit slip. You seriously would say "I fucked up, the money is yours."? I call bullshit.

Otherwise, what if I owe you $3K and deposit that into your account like we agree on. I use cash, thus no way to cancel the check. Then I decide for whatever reason after 2 months to just claim to the bank "oh that is not the account I meant" and then they withdraw it from your account and make you bounce all your checks.
    This has absolutely nothing to do with the discussion at hand. The bank (or anyone else) didn't owe these people anything. As I said earlier, if the bank had told them that the money was their's and then took it back, they would be justified in keeping it.

You wrote the number down, so if you can not handle a simple task like that then maybe you and your money should part ways. One thing I double and triple check is the account number I write down on a deposit slip.
    Glad to hear that you don't make mistakes. This thread, unlike many, has been very educational for me.

Dirk

--Thomas Jefferson

Account Deactivated at users request DARK ANGEL's Avatar

i would have made the money "dissapear" and then dissapear myself...HAHAHAHAHA taken the money out, close the account and run, aint my problem and from what i understand banks dont make mistakes.

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

What the fuck?
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

So what did that have to do with the Original topic of this thread? How is that paycheck a bank error? I should of skipped to this page of the thread, I reread some of the postings to refresh myself....fuck

In any case I still would move to some 3rd world nation after the bank messes up and deposits $5 million into my account.

Oh and one question asked to me that the poster failed to read in my response....its not my fucking problem with the bank screws up. If you the depositor are too fucking dumb to write the correct number on the deposit slip you and your money need to part ways. If the bank teller messed up and deposited the money in error then the bank should be at fault and loose the money as they are obviously too fucking dumb...and if it was a person and not a machine that made the mistake fire that person.
    Last edited by modette99; Thu Mar 24th, 2011 at 12:02 PM.

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

My WTF was directed at this off topic response to a thread over a year old.

But, good job at keeping it real.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...