Thread: Atlanta, GA Info.

Atlanta, GA Info.

Has anyone ever lived or spent anytime in or around Atlanta? I may be moving to Roswell and have no info. or know anyone there.

Any info is greatly appreciated....Thanks in advance!

Scers sidekick... PuhRobin Yearly Supporter Foolds's Avatar

Re: Atlanta, GA Info.

Talk to Eg Btr he used to live there

I'm from there, lived there until 91 when I joined the AF, my family is still there and I get back a few times a year. Also captian Obvious just moved from that area. You can PM me, email me or just ask me here.

Depending on where, Roswell is a nice to great area.

Costs: Be preapred to spent a little more on everything, espcially a nice place to live. Even with the fallout of the market, Atlanta is still pretty pricey

Traffic: About 7 years ago the ATL passed LA for most hour spent in rush hour in the US. Trust me, Denver knows squat about traffic compared to Atlanta. There is a decent public trasportation system, MARTA. Forget all the rumours and jokes you here about it, its safe. But the thing is, its not cool, so eveyone drives.

Stuff to Do: Understand this is my home, and when I retire in 4 years, its wheer I am going, so I am a bit biased. You name it, you can do it there. About 10 years agao they ripped up a whole bunch of RR tracks a laid down a bike/rollerblade/running path. You can ride a bike form the Northeast side of Atlanta in Marietta to Stone Moutnain park (go see the laser show in the summer) about 70 to 100 miles away without ever having to get on a road. Every major concert comes there. Pro teams in every sport. The Fox Theater downtown is flat out amazing to see a concert or a play. It was my favorite until I went to Red Rocks. The Blue Ridge mountians do not compare to the Rockies, but they do have a unique charm all their own. Great music scene and has been so for decades. It has moved way to far upscale, but I still head to Little 5 Pionts whenever I go home, its a nice quirky place. The Vortex serves hand patted burgers and hosts a bike night a few times a month, and the Junkman's dughter still has cool cloths a weird stuff. Not quite as many parks as I see here in CO, but big ones and very nice.

Culture: Look, Sherman burned the city to the ground, battle after battle was fought in and around that city. One of my brothers houses backed up to a civil wat battle field. It is everywhere. We are not "holding on to the war." Its just it was fought in our backyard so there are plaques and memorials all over the place. If you like history, cool, go to Kennasaw Moutnian (try not to laugh at what we call a mountian). If you don't just let it go. Yes they do re-enactments all the time, and no, we don't re-script it so that we won.

Atlanta is also a very cosmopolitan city, lots of upscale living, expensive cars, pricey clubs and fewer rednecks than you think. If you look, lots of art, theater, and very cultural things to do. But don't worry, we still have dirt tracks, PBR in a can and more than a few places that put hay on the floor. You also have to know where those places are. Name your favorite kind of food, and there are at least 5 if not 25 places to get it.

I had a motorcycle as my only transport for 2 years, year round riding!

Hope this helps, please ask any additional questions. Good luck.
    Last edited by Mental; Sat Jan 17th, 2009 at 03:11 PM.
    GSXRScott made me follow him into that corner,...down that hill...there was the time up that washout...crankcase alley...man I gotta stop following him.
    Quote Originally Posted by PharmerKyle View Post
    ...I knew all too well what would happen if the old guy on the Beemer took the lead...

Thanks for the info....The members in this club rock. Thanks again
    Last edited by tm06r1; Sat Jan 17th, 2009 at 05:50 PM.

DIS-MEMBERED
    (Banned)

meh, ATL is ok, great nightlife, lots of homeless, muggings, transvestite hookers, oops I mean self employed models.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandora-11 View Post
    Nothing about the Chattahoochee Mental? or the Varsity for burgers? or the Omni? or Buckhead?

Buckhead is no more...they sold off the clubs for development.

I lived there for 14 years, until 2006. Nice place to live. I dunno much about the bike scene there just hung out with a small group. If you are into cars, importatlanta is a good forum full of great people. I was big in the import scene and used to hang out with the Roswell group alot. Any specific questions feel free to pm me.

I believe they still do bike nights at The Vortex in Little Five Points on thursdays...always fun.

You should get some queso fries at Locos in Roswell...good stuff
    Last edited by eg bter; Sat Jan 17th, 2009 at 05:53 PM.
    "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!" — Hunter S. Thompson

Is the Varsity still there for greasy burgers? My very first house purchase was there near Marist School and Oglethorpe.
    You better bring your checkbook if you want to buy a house in your old hood Pandora. Between the Mcmansions and just general price increases, it is getting swanky.

tm, 6 months ago I moved here from Austell (burb to the west of Atl).

Yep, Buckhead is now a series of high rises. Sad, no more central place to barhop.

Varsity is still there, seems like the are always expanding or building on a little something new. Still good eatin too.
    The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR

Quote Originally Posted by tm06r1 View Post
    Any info is greatly appreciated....Thanks in advance!
    Roswell is a nice area. Upper-middle class and above, white professional burb of Atlanta. 400 is the main highway south into the city and is a nightmare during traffic hours. Runs north-south and feeds most of the northern subburbs.

I lived there for 3 years. I was ready to go. I miss the southern charm, and being close to the beach. but not too much else.

the two Atlanta main motorcycle forums are blokessportbike (BSB) and georgiasportbike (GSB). GSB is more moderated, BSB is where all the clowns go. There are some good people on BSB, but most go back and forth. BSB was formed out of discontented GSB members primarily bloke.

Deals Gap is 3 hours away, almost every weekend there is some form of a group ride to the mountains. And year round riding without question.

Roswell has a great comedy club. They have a ton of good acts go through.

Only place I took my motorcycles to was Marietta Motorsports. They also have 3? Cycle gear stores in town. Vortex has a great bike night and food. There is also a 400 crew who has regular bike nights at Hooters? off of 400.

You looking to buy or rent when you first move there?
    The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR

awwww....I should have held on to that house. Back in the 80s I sold that house for maybe $95,000 and it would be worth a fortune today inside the perimeter. I married an Oglethorpe grad.
    Where was the house? All of the small houses that are within 2 blocks of the school are being leveled and built up @$800k+. I doubt you can touch anything within a mile of OU for under 400K or so.

Small world, I am engaged to an OU grad! And their ex ass. basketball coach of the women's team. For those who don't know, Oglethorpe has a student population of 1000 or so. Currently about 800. And costs a ton.

Thanks for all the info. Please let me know if you know anyone selling a house in the Roswell area or renting.....I would pay cash either way and looking to close quickly....Thanks again!

I will be there Tues shopping for a place to live.

Nothing about the Chattahoochee Mental? or the Varsity for burgers? or the Omni? or Buckhead?
    The Hooch is a nice river to look at, I wouldn't get it in or eat anything caught in it.

Everyone covered the Buckhead thing. It kinda needed to happen. I remeber going to the Roxy for concerts (which is still there) when the "Buckhead Arts Cinema" was still there, then Lulu's Bait shack, etc etc. The last time I went to that area it was stupid, crowds spilled into the streets and it was just absurd levels of conspicuous consuption. There were three car rental paces along Peachtree that specilized in renting chromed out high end SUVs for the wanna be's to cruise on weekends. That was 2002. In 05 the clubs were all boarded up and the last time I was home the construction had started.

FYI, tm06r1 the last time I was there, the Virgina Highlands was the cool place. Not obnoisxus nightclubs IIRC, but smaller one off eclectic places to hang and some good food.

The Omni was torn down decades ago. The Phillips Arena is the home of the Hawks and Thrashers (Hockey) as well as the really big concerts. Great venue.

But you are right, I missed the Varsity. Not a thing on the menu even close to being good for you. The gresiest fries cooked in fat like god intended. Chili dogs availible with cole slaw, old school burgers with cheese floting in grease. MMMMMMMM. Sooooooo gooooood. The burgers are OK, but the chili dogs and onions rings are where its at. You're artteries will hate you, you soul will love you and anyone unfortunete enough to get caught in a car with you the next day will curse you. They speak there own laungage and you better know what yoy want before you get to the counter, or they will skip and go to the person behind you. Every President since Ford has eaten there. Nipsy Russel got his start there and there is a wall of clebrities that come there. Its across the street from GA Tech and not too far from the Georgia Dome, just a few exits from Turner feild. Going there before a game is fantastic.

Damm, now I am really hungry.
    GSXRScott made me follow him into that corner,...down that hill...there was the time up that washout...crankcase alley...man I gotta stop following him.
    ...I knew all too well what would happen if the old guy on the Beemer took the lead...

Chastain park, still there.

There is also the former Lakewood Aphitheater which I think is now the Best Buy Amphitheater, and of course, Six Flags Amphitheater.

I honestly dunno if they still shoot the hooch. But yeah back in the mid 90's it was pretty bad. I haven't heard of or seen anyone doing it for a while. I reckon you still could, just get some tubes, a cooler and two vehicles. I did find this;
    http://www.shootthehooch.com/

Quote Originally Posted by tm06r1 View Post
    Thanks for all the info. Please let me know if you know anyone selling a house in the Roswell area or renting.....I would pay cash either way and looking to close quickly....Thanks again!

I will be there Tues shopping for a place to live.

I will ask my sister...she is a bar tender at the Olive Garden in Roswell, perhaps she knows of something.
    "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!" — Hunter S. Thompson

Georgia is ONLY good for limited visits.

So glad I moved away.
    http://www.rapidfirebunker.com
    $15 FFL TRANSFERS. $15 Private Transfers
    Emergency Preparedness Store, Survival BULK Food, knives, Guns, Ammo, FREEDOM

AKA "Devaclis"

Luda lives there. He gets drunk and picks up ugly chicks at the clubs.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaclis View Post
    Luda lives there. He gets drunk and picks up ugly chicks at the clubs.

WING MAN
    http://www.rapidfirebunker.com
    $15 FFL TRANSFERS. $15 Private Transfers
    Emergency Preparedness Store, Survival BULK Food, knives, Guns, Ammo, FREEDOM

Quote Originally Posted by Mental View Post

Stuff to Do: . Pro teams in every sport. .
    the Thrashers?
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Quote Originally Posted by jopfin View Post
    the Thrashers?
    Hockey

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post

...Only place I took my motorcycles to was Marietta Motorsports....
    My good friend owns this shop. If you go there, ask for Huey and tell him that Oscar from Dunlop sent you. He is a good guy to work with.

Also, I did go to Varsity this past summer. I believe there are two locations that are open now.

ATL has a good set up for the tourist in you. CNN center, the underground, Coca cola world and the aquarium are all good places to visit.

Tour on touras

Sol Performance/ Preilli Race tires ...........Buy and sell take offs!!
    solperformance@gmail.com .............. www.2ndroll.com
    233. S. Madsion Ave. Loveland, CO 80537
    970.SOL.TIRE

Quote Originally Posted by Scer View Post
    My good friend owns this shop. If you go there, ask for Huey and tell him that Oscar from Dunlop sent you. He is a good guy to work with.

Very good guy. And has a twisted sense of humor. One of the funniest shops I've been too. Opie Caylor is pretty cool too. And fast.

http://www.blokessportbike.com/image...ine=1186758320

HAHA!! Yep, that's him. I would recognize that umm..tattoo anywhere.
    Opie is the bomb!! We have worked a lot together. Did a solo tire test in talladega and even joined Kevin Schwantz for dinner. He is as gunine as man can get. Although I don't think he works with Huey anymore. =(

Pose on posas

970.SOL.TIRE

Quote Originally Posted by Scer View Post
    Opie is the bomb!! We have worked a lot together. Did a solo tire test in talladega and even joined Kevin Schwantz for dinner. He is as gunine as man can get. Although I don't think he works with Huey anymore. =(
    I was surprised how nice Kevin was, but I paid good money to go to his school (another perk of living in Atl, Road A), he had to be nice. You ever see Schwantz's feet? He wore sandals when we did a walking tour of Road A. Woah. Guess when you are so amazingly fast your feet never touch down, it doesn't matter.

Opie is prolly one of the nicest guys I have met, and that his peer group is people "we" watch on TV during race weekends, says even more about him IMO.

Scer, do you or did you do tires at WERA weekends?

Yep, I worked the Miller national as well as the Cycle Jam. With numerous multi-region races and then, of course, the GNF in October. Always a good time with cool people. You go to them often as well?

jam on jam'as

970.SOL.TIRE

I raced partial seasons from 01-05 southeast region. Pit bitched the ones I wasn't running. Did a couple seasons with CCS before WERA. WERA endurance at Road A last year. Part time amateur but my buddies have been involved in CCS/WERA for 15 years or so.

I usually ran Pirellis or Michelins.