Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A positive moment in history

Gold Member Yearly Supporter mtnairlover's Avatar

A positive moment in history

Say what you want to say, but too few voices/posters on this forum have actually recognized the moment in history that we are all about to witness as a positive moment...a dream realized in our lifetimes.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.
    http://www.americanrhetoric.com/spee...haveadream.htm

A personal story to add and it doesn't even come close to the suffering of so many for hundreds of years, but here goes anyway...When I was a teen, I dated an African American who was kind, thoughtful, poetic, a romantic, smart (and in my eyes, drop-dead gorgeous). The stares we got, the whispered words as we walked by...none of that hurt as much as his brother's complete hatred toward me and the fact that I was/am German. Pretty freakin ironic, huh?

And for the political posts that are bound to happen...I'm not up to it in this thread, to be honest. I just wanted to recognize the amazing thing that is about to happen. Unless you've lived it maybe it just doesn't mean as much, but it does to me.

A few other things I watched tonight that brought forward a flood of emotion are linked below:

Interview with Congressman Lewis - the long version of what I watched on the news.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032619/#28738659

Pilgrimage to the White House - watch the whole thing and watch the 100-year-old man at the end.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032619/#28739215
    ...ready to take on the world...one canyon at a time...

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Re: A positive moment in history

History books are being augmented as we type .....

I am America. I am the part you won't recognize. But get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. ~Muhammad Ali
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

DIS-MEMBERED
    (Banned)

Quote Originally Posted by mtnairlover View Post
    Say what you want to say, but too few voices/posters on this forum have actually recognized the moment in history that we are all about to witness as a positive moment...a dream realized in our lifetimes.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.
    http://www.americanrhetoric.com/spee...haveadream.htm

A personal story to add and it doesn't even come close to the suffering of so many for hundreds of years, but here goes anyway...When I was a teen, I dated an African American who was kind, thoughtful, poetic, a romantic, smart (and in my eyes, drop-dead gorgeous). The stares we got, the whispered words as we walked by...none of that hurt as much as his brother's complete hatred toward me and the fact that I was/am German. Pretty freakin ironic, huh?

And for the political posts that are bound to happen...I'm not up to it in this thread, to be honest. I just wanted to recognize the amazing thing that is about to happen. Unless you've lived it maybe it just doesn't mean as much, but it does to me.

A few other things I watched tonight that brought forward a flood of emotion are linked below:

Interview with Congressman Lewis - the long version of what I watched on the news.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032619/#28738659

Pilgrimage to the White House - watch the whole thing and watch the 100-year-old man at the end.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032619/#28739215

Thanks for sharing your story. Very brave and sincere.

This week is an historic week. The beginning of fixing our counry and fixing the world after being destroyed in the name of greed and big oil. I guess everyone forgets what it was like paying almost $5 a gallon for gas.

now its time to heal and rebuild the nation and the world.

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Good post Cathy.

The detractors are realizing that their time has passed. Nothing more, nothing less.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter Shea's Avatar

Very ironic that today's inauguration is the complete opposite of that statement.

Who is more racist? Those who voted for Sen. Obama because he is black, to right "centuries" of perceived injustice and to make it clear that they are not racists? Or the people that voted against him because they don't believe in his policies and could care less about the color of his skin.

Perhaps it is an aspect of age, but I don't fall into the trap of assumption of guilt/responsibility for slavery/segregation/racism. Why am I responsible for other peoples hate and intolerance? Why do I need to feel guilty and vote for this guy when I don't believe in any of his stated positions?

Have your (in my opinion minor) historic day. Assuage your guilt and tell yourself that you are a better person now, the "original sin" of America has been cleansed. Tomorrow will be another day and the problems that face this country will loom large. And, imo, BO hasn't got a clue how to fix them. That's what really counts, not the color of his skin.
    Shea
    Now bikeless...

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    THERE IS NO TIME FOR RATIONAL SOLUTIONS!
    WE HAVE TO TAKE DRASTIC IRRATIONAL MEASURES NOW!
    LIVES ARE IN DANGER!

I want to know why you feel so very negatively about his appointment. You haven't said anything in any place that I've read on this forum that actually points to any of BO's decisions, appointments of cabinet members, his plans (which have to run the mill of being voted for or against after being rewritten over and over by other law makers), the idea that he recognizes that this country is built on the will of the people and not one man alone...

Have you even taken the time to listen...to actually listen to what his true message is?

Throw away the pomp and circumstance because I could care less about the hollywood atmosphere. But, maybe it's a way for others to recognize that maybe this guy's message is a good message and something that only people who actually take action will realize. You can't just sit and listen and say "Hey, now ain't that a good idea." and actually have things happen. He's right ya know. He's telling everyone to stand up and be counted...talk...tell him what your concerns are...take action...be involved.

How is that wrong? How is that anti-whatever? Isn't that the way our country was formed?

Lastly...my post is not a "guilt" post. It isn't even me saying that I've lived longer, either. I know discrimination continues to this day and discrimination comes in all forms, not just against color of skin. I'm looking at those words solely on what they say. And what they say is it's about damn time that someone was given a chance based on his character and not for any other reason...not money, not name, not supposed service to this country, and whatever else the going popular belief might be, but character. That's what MLK wanted to see and that's what I see.

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

I'm almost feeling guilty at the gradual pleasure I've been taking in the downward spirals of several of our "contributors", and how this election has kicked them into high gear.

Is there anybody here who did not voted for Obama, but is still reasonably pleased (if not at least okay) with the way their life is progressing?

Is there anybody left who supported McCain, but did not boo and hiss, as he graciously offered his concession? And are there any of you out there, that took to heart the support he offered to Barack Obama and his pending leadership of this country, despite having just been defeated? Anybody??

Damn Shea... I don't know whether to offer you encouragement anymore, or just watch your ship sink, and think "better him than me".

Dude... You haven't even let the man serve his first day on the job yet! But yet you try to wax poetic about things like not falling prey to past-generations guilt and this dark cloud of the country's problems that (seemingly) hovers directly over your head. (?)

Race-issues aside, let's talk about not giving somebody a fair shake!

I mean seriously.... Give the guy a couple week to figure out the copier, and find out where the vending machines are, before you admonish a job that he hasn't even had the opportunity to do yet! You're making yourself out to be not only a sinking ship, but a deserved one!
    Last edited by ~Barn~; Tue Jan 20th, 2009 at 09:09 AM.
    ~Brandon~
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

DIS-MEMBERED
    (Banned)

Its OK for republicans to rant, rave and HATE. But if you call them out on it, like I have, they attack you in droves, still under the delusion of power they once had and threw away under the horrible direction of bush and the ultra right wingers and evangelicals.

I called them out, I spoke the complete truth and none of the Parrot Republican Lies, their head collectively exploded! BOOM! splat!! Brain matter everywhere, or lack thereof.

wah wah wah. Cry baby cry. You cannot admit defeat, you cannot acknowledge the FAILURE of your party. How can you regroup with new strategies of success when you cannot admit to or identify the failures of your party and how it wronged the nation and the world.

Did you guy win in th elections? No.

Be fortunate that the last few seats you were able to hold on to in order to hold Filibusters. When the next elections roll around, you won't be able to hold on to those seats.

I am sure Karl Rove antics will no longer be welcomed. People are tired of LIES AND DECEIT.

Bush has the lowest approval rating of any president in history, there is a reason for that, its called FAILURE.

The evidence is there, Bush Election Fraud, Bush knowingly used bad intelligence. Its all there. Yet he keeps telling the same lies and tries to blame the CIA.

The WAR on the middleclass began when bush took office.

Ask yourself, Are you better off now when bush was president?

or were you better off when Clinton was president?

No question about it, under Clinton the ecnonomy was strong, there was NO debt.

Bush ignored Clintons warning about bin laden. Proof is there.

So get over the failure of the republican party, and think about SMARTER politics. Yours failed.

AKA "Devaclis"

Bush Sr. is not looking very good

You can even feel the excitement over a streaming internet feed. It certainly does feel like a historic event. Kinda goosebumpy

Whether you chose him or not, it is a once in a lifetime event. It would suck to miss it just because of a staunch political affiliation.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

If you feel that Obama will not lie to you, then you are delusional.

Republicans LIE
    Democrats LIE

They are ALL full of shit and would pitch you under the bus in the blink of an eye.
    http://www.rapidfirebunker.com
    $15 FFL TRANSFERS. $15 Private Transfers
    Emergency Preparedness Store, Survival BULK Food, knives, Guns, Ammo, FREEDOM

AKA "Devaclis"

Wow, did you see the size of that soldier when Carted exited to be seated? That dude is 7 feet tall!!!
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

AKA "Devaclis"

Lol, Bush Sr. tapping that same soldier as he walked by

Are you enjoying my up to the minute commentary?

Quote Originally Posted by Devaclis View Post
    Lol, Bush Sr. tapping that same soldier as he walked by

Are you enjoying my up to the minute commentary?

Tapping a soldier? Don't ask don't tell
    http://www.rapidfirebunker.com
    $15 FFL TRANSFERS. $15 Private Transfers
    Emergency Preparedness Store, Survival BULK Food, knives, Guns, Ammo, FREEDOM

I want to know why you feel so very negatively about his appointment. You haven't said anything in any place that I've read on this forum that actually points to any of BO's decisions, appointments of cabinet members, his plans (which have to run the mill of being voted for or against after being rewritten over and over by other law makers), the idea that he recognizes that this country is built on the will of the people and not one man alone...

Have you even taken the time to listen...to actually listen to what his true message is?
    Cathy, yes I have and I disagree with not only his policies but his "vision" and message. Perhaps you hear a different message then me. Perhaps you are swayed by the "historical" atmosphere that his election has caused. I, however, am not.

I hear the typical democratic mantra that the poor in this country are shit on by the rich, people are hungry and it's my fault, corporations are evil and swindling me, paying higher taxes is patriotic and it is wrong to be successful. That government is the alpha and the omega, that I can't live without government providing me with healthcare, education and protection. That to disagree with any of Obama's policies makes me a racist or filled with anger.

I hear that spending money we don't have is a good thing. More deficit spending, higher taxes and more social programs that strip people of their dignity and power.

But all you, spudwrench and Barn can do is call me angry because I don't give a rat's ass that the man is black.

So yeah I hear his message of "hope" and "change" and cringe. For all it means is more of the same.

Lastly...my post is not a "guilt" post. It isn't even me saying that I've lived longer, either. I know discrimination continues to this day and discrimination comes in all forms, not just against color of skin. I'm looking at those words solely on what they say. And what they say is it's about damn time that someone was given a chance based on his character and not for any other reason...not money, not name, not supposed service to this country, and whatever else the going popular belief might be, but character. That's what MLK wanted to see and that's what I see.
    Guess we will see it differently.
    Shea
    Now bikeless...

LIVES ARE IN DANGER!

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spudwrench View Post
    Its OK for republicans to rant, rave and HATE.
    And the Dems were so kind and loving to Bush? They dished the shit for 8 years and now the Reps get their turn. Politics as usual.

Steve's right. If you put your faith in politicians, you're bound to be disappointed. When you have two parties that thrive on bigger government, the best thing you can have is balance. When either group gets the upper hand, that's when we need to be worried. And I am worried.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Guilt??? LOL! GUILT is the way that right-winger bitches get dates!
    (I know) NOT how or why this election was won!

U must have quit paying attention at the end there. Dont blame ya'!
    (L-A-N-D-S-L-I-D-E VICTORY!)

If theres ANY guilt being felt by the 'white' folks that voted for him, it was guilt for supporting
    and even fighting in a VERY expensive and unwarranted war in the WRONG damn country!

Killing, maiming and orphaning hundreds of innocent children in a country that didn't have a single 9/11 hijacker
    - that's worth feeling some guilt over -ya' numb icey biotch.
    Last edited by SamuraiX; Tue Jan 20th, 2009 at 09:46 AM.

-Dedicated to all of those with BIG egos.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
    I'm almost feeling guilty at the gradual pleasure I've been taking in the downward spirals of several of our "contributors", and how this election has kicked them into high gear.

Is there anybody here who did not voted for Obama, but is still reasonably pleased (if not at least okay) with the way their life is progressing?

Is there anybody left who supported McCain, but did not boo and hiss, as he graciously offered his concession? And are there any of you out there, that took to heart the support he offered to Barack Obama and his pending leadership of this country, despite having just been defeated? Anybody??

Damn Shea... I don't know whether to offer you encouragement anymore, or just watch your ship sink, and think "better him than me".

Dude... You haven't even let the man serve his first day on the job yet! But yet you try to wax poetic about things like not falling prey to past-generations guilt and this dark cloud of the country's problems that (seemingly) hovers directly over your head. (?)

Race-issues aside, let's talk about not giving somebody a fair shake!

I mean seriously.... Give the guy a couple week to figure out the copier, and find out where the vending machines are, before you admonish a job that he hasn't even had the opportunity to do yet! You're making yourself out to be not only a sinking ship, but a deserved one!
    Barn apparently you are not reading my posts. How can I admonish a man for a job that he hasn't even started? I admonish him on how he got elected and the policies that he wants to implement. Now where on your side has anyone come out to defend what he wants to do in any sort of logical reasoned manner. Rather I get "it's historical", "you're a nazi" or "give the man a chance".

You want to debate policy, pick one and let's go. This is, always was, and always will be about policy and stated objectives. Nothing more.

I didn't boo or hiss when McCain gave in. He ran a very poor campaign and got his ass handed to him. It's how the game is played. But let's look at those misinformed fools still bitching about 2000. Where was your pontificating then Barn? Did you say the same about Bush?

But then again, all you can do is shake your head at me, claim the high ground and not say anything of substance.
    Shea
    Now bikeless...

LIVES ARE IN DANGER!

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiX View Post
    Guilt??? LOL! GUILT is the way that right-winger bitches get dates!
    (I know) NOT how or why this election was won!
    Really? Care to site a source?

Killing, maiming and orphaning hundreds of innocent children in a country that didn't have a single 9/11 hijacker
    - that's worth feeling some guilt over -ya' numb icey biotch.
    Any Iraq/Afgan veterans want to chime in with how many innocent children they killed, maimed or orphaned? Since all of us are just out there slaughtering innocents...

Numb icey biotch? Nice...
    Shea
    Now bikeless...

LIVES ARE IN DANGER!

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxerk2 View Post

But all you, spudwrench and Barn can do is call me angry because I don't give a rat's ass that the man is black.
    Calm down Shea. I'm not beating you up, or trying to make you feel guilty and I never said you were angry until now.

Take a different look at this. I think maybe you are reeling from all the other negativity that's going on in the forums.

I refuse to back down from my positive outlook at this historical event.

I'm sorry if you only see the same old rhetoric. I'm trying to see it from your standpoint and I just don't think I see it. Do you think that maybe it's more the fact that you just don't like Democratic policy in general that is making you feel this way? Do you think that because of your beliefs against this policy that you will not see anything positive in this appointment?

What positives do I see?

• People who believe in the message will take action in their communities.
    • People who realize that strength of character is more important than being surrounded by "yes" men will make decisions based on what is good for the community, not on what is good for them.
    • Communities will realize there is strength in diverse ideas and will learn how to work with those ideas, rather than throw them out.
    • People will come to understand how to work with even their strongest detractors.

...and much more.

But then again, all you can do is shake your head at me, claim the high ground and not say anything of substance.
    Well that, and rejoice in the fact that I'm not viewed as the biggest Debbie Downer this side of Continental Divide, by nearly every one that has encountered me.

Now where on your side has anyone come out to defend what he wants to do in any sort of logical reasoned manner. Rather I get "it's historical", "you're a nazi" or "give the man a chance".
    Please... we've talked policy till we're blue in the face. Being a black man did not win this race for Obama, there have been black candidates before.

It *is* his policy that won him this race, combined with a pretty well disgusted public, of the exiting administration. A public that has probably transitioned to one that is now more thoughtful, in the process.

What do you want me/us to say for the upteenth time?
    - That I support alternative fuels and fiscal investment into them?
    - That I oppose offshore drilling for a finite, (if not miniscule amount) of oil.
    - That I want to end the war in Iraq and bring home the soldiers, not on a timeline, but now.
    - That we need to better the economy, and infuse life into our consumer confidence.
    - That the middle class (foundation) of our country needs to get a tax break.

You say that "my side" can't talk logically about policy or platform, but I think when it comes down to brass tax, "my side" said just about all it needed to, when "my candidate's" supporters (made up of all races), put him into office by a resounding margin. And further more, when HIS OWN OPPONENT offered not only congratulations, but his support.

What's done is done my friend, and I support Barack Obama on not only the policies that I've mentioned above, but also because of a number of other reasons and perhaps even intangibles, about the man. He may prove my faith in him, or he may prove me 180 degrees wrong, but don't think for a second that I can't articulate WHY he our newest president, based on.... as you put it.... logic and reason.

I mean who do you think you're dealing with? One of those clowns that says a man hates America because one of his suits doesn't have a lapel pin of the flag?
    Last edited by ~Barn~; Tue Jan 20th, 2009 at 10:15 AM.
    ~Brandon~
    (720) 935-6438
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

when it comes down to brass tax
    There's a Freudian slip.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiX View Post
    U must have quit paying attention at the end there. Dont blame ya'!
    (L-A-N-D-S-L-I-D-E VICTORY!)
    3% of the popular vote is far less than a landslide, and showss how outdated the electoral college is. Sorry, try again.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Well that, and rejoice in the fact that I'm not viewed as the biggest Debbie Downer this side of Continental Divide, by nearly every one that has encountered me.
    Wow, ok then. Guess I will bid you all adieu.
    Shea
    Now bikeless...

LIVES ARE IN DANGER!

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Here, I'll say it: much as I'm disappointed that so many people, even people I highly respect, were sucked into the demi-god/rockstar hoopla and blindly voted for him BECAUSE he's black instead of IN SPITE OF the fact that he's black, I honestly hope for OUR sake, that he can actually accomplish something good here. If he truly does, I'll even vote FOR him next time. There, how's that for positive? Really, I mean it.
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)