Thread: man Carl

man Carl

In Unix, on line help is requested via the "man" command (short for "manual pages"). So "man Carl" is a post about Carl

Yea yea, geek humor.

Back in 1987 or so, I was learning C (computer programming language). I'd picked up a copy of Borland TurboC because I was an employee of a tech company. It was nice and quick, easy to use and I was able to make it work (very important as you'll see).

I was in the process of learning C by converting a program I'd originally written in Basic on a Timex:Sinclair (around 1979) and converted to Megabasic to C. One thing I wanted to do was use a text windowing library to better organize my program. So I checked out the various BBS's I regularly logged in to and found several different DOS based libraries that would let me use such windowing features for my program. As a newbie to C programming, I really wanted a simple library and after several tries, found Mike Smedley's C Extended Library (CXL).

At the same time, Peter Norton came out with his Norton Guides. It was a tiny memory resident popup help system. It was excellent for programming. You would have a C norton guide and press Alt+F1 to bring up the window, find the function and be able write the right bit of code. Well he provided a compiler so you could create your own Norton Guide.

I used that compiler to convert Mike's CXL into a Norton Guides system so I could pop up the application programming interface (API) while I was learning C and using Mike's library to extend my program.

API's tend to have hidden functions that really aren't supposed to be used by programmers. Microsoft DOS has an undocumented call (for example) for a bunch of neat features that Peter Norton took advantage of to create his original programs. Well one of the programs I'd written (free) discovered some bit of functionality of the hidden API call and I sent it over to a guy who was maintaining the undocumented calls. As such, I was credited in the guys book, Undocumented DOS.

Anyway, I did the same with CXL. I rooted out the hidden functions and put them in my Norton Guides database and even posted it to his BBS so others could use it.

Due to some family problems, Mike sold the rights to his library to IDC, a company that specialized in TSR (terminate and stay resident) programs and the library became TeSseRact CXL (TCXL).

I followed and continued with my guide and documenting the hidden calls. I even provided examples and better documentation of the real functions. Again, because I wanted to be able to use it more efficiently. Well, the owner of the company (Chip) contacted me and told me he was getting ready to release 6.0 of TCXL and asked if I would proofread it _before_ it shipped. That way he wouldn't get all these typo posts I'd make

Yea, I'm a real geek

I didn't get paid for it however he did pay for me to come up to his place in Pennsylvania to tour the offices, stay for a couple of days and visit with the folk and he even paid for me to go to the Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire which was pretty cool.

===========

Sort of an aside. Back around the same timeframe, I picked up a new role playing game called Shadowrun. It was a mixture of Fantasy with spells, monsters but also included cyberpunk like cybereyes, weapons, and The Matrix (which is a trademark of the company; FASA).

Since then, the intellectual property that is Shadowrun has changed hands to Wizkids based out of Germany and published by Fantasy Productions (FanPro) also out of Germany. A few years ago, Topps bought Wizkids. Last year, FanPro went under and a couple of fantasy book writers got together to create InMediaRes Productions and they got the rights to publish Shadowrun as Catalyst Game Labs. Recently, Topps decided to close down Wizkids due to financial reasons. InMediaRes is currently in negotiation to buy the rights to Shadowrun.

===========

With Catalyst Game Labs (CGL) now publishing the game books, several have been published in the past two years. They are also publishing 6 or more this year. I like organization so I've been extracting the PDF's to straight text and moving the rules around to make it easier to find stuff (I'm a command line person and can search a file for something a _lot_ quicker when it's straight text). As part of my reorganizing, I've been finding errors in the text. Typos and missing stuff. I've been posting the errors to the Dumpshock forums for the past year or so just so they could correct them in the next printing of the books.

I was checking my e-mail a couple of weeks ago and I received an e-mail from one of the line editors asking if I'd be interested in being a proofreader for the company and sent a nondisclosure agreement.

Again, no pay but since I'm doing it anyway (not at quite such a pace though), I figure no problem. I have flexibility on what I work on depending on my availability and I get to see the new books before they're published. I also get to support the company with more than just the few dollars I spend on the rule books.

Carl

Long Distance Gear Checklist 2002 Hayabusa - Now with 100,000+ miles!

Re: man Carl

Quote Originally Posted by dm_gsxr View Post
    In Unix, on line help is requested via the "man" command (short for "manual pages"). So "man Carl" is a post about Carl

Yea yea, geek humor.
    Yeah, I'm almost ashamed to admit that I knew this when I saw who wrote it . . . and I still opened the thread . . .
    www.onthemarcphotography.com

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider_9 View Post
    Yeah, I'm almost ashamed to admit that I knew this when I saw who wrote it . . . and I still opened the thread . . .
    Heh. I actually got the phrase (method? meme?) from my daughter. When she writes about herself, she files it under "man xtina".

Geeks and geek kids (she's been a sysadmin and is a dba right now).

Carl

I think the cool thing was I didn't understand a word he said in the whole post but I read it anyway. When in Rome... I guess. LOL
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

AKA "Devaclis"

I grep you carl
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaclis View Post
    I grep you carl
    Is this a budding bromance?

AKA "Devaclis"

are you ba$h-in' me?
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

AKA "Devaclis"

haha that was Korn-e

Quote Originally Posted by Devaclis View Post
    I grep you carl
    Wellll, "grok" would be a better word

Carl

All I can say is:

chmod a-rwx Dana

Hahaha, just kiddin. You know I love you like a kittah loves bacon . . .
    Last edited by ghostrider_9; Tue Jan 20th, 2009 at 01:05 PM.

Douche Yearly Supporter Sortarican's Avatar

In Unix, ....C (computer programming language). .....Borland TurboC ........written in Basic on a Timex:Sinclair ..... converted to Megabasic to C. .... text windowing library ......BBS's ......DOS .....Mike Smedley's C Extended Library (CXL).
    ....., Peter Norton ....Norton Guides. .....tiny memory resident popup help system. ......a compiler ....

You realize that every one of those terms means nothing to pretty much anyone born after 1976, right?

Wellll, "grok" would be a better word

Carl
    Geek fail Dana!
    (Though when you die I will still make soup outta you.).
    Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet.

Quote Originally Posted by Sortarican View Post

You realize that every one of those terms means nothing to pretty much anyone born after 1976, right?
    Oh yea. I figured it'd be a small subset of the audience but still, it's good to be able to brag somewhere, even if folk don't get it

Carl

Code:
    % cat "food in cans"
    cat: can't open food in cans

% nice man woman
    No manual entry for woman.

% rm God
    rm: God nonexistent

% ar t God
    ar: God does not exist]

% ar r God
    ar: creating God

% "How would you rate George Bush's incompetence?
    Unmatched ".

% [Where is Jimmy Hoffa?
    Missing ].

% ^How did the sex change operation go? ^
    Modifier failed.

% If I had a ( for every $ the Congress spent, what would I have?
    Too many ('s.

% make love
    Make: Don't know how to make love. Stop. 

% sleep with me
    bad character

% got a light?
    No match.

% man: why did you get a divorce? man::
    Too many arguments.

% !:say, what is saccharine?
    Bad substitute.

% %blow
    %blow: No such job.

$ PATH=pretending!/usr/ucb/which sense
    no sense in pretending!
    I talk to programmers and am just amazed at the work they have done. I really wish i would have focused more on programing (if i ever get the time) Its amazing when i hear that the code someone came up with in the 90s (or 80s or 70s) is/was solid enough that its still in use today....

One proggie I talked to didnt like the games availible for her son back in the 80s so she wrote her own for him....
    Last edited by TurboGizzmo; Tue Jan 20th, 2009 at 02:46 PM.
    1998 CBR600F3 "Desert Storm" - SOLD

WAS keeping the banana seat alive!

Douche Yearly Supporter Sortarican's Avatar

Oh yea. I figured it'd be a small subset of the audience but still, it's good to be able to brag somewhere, even if folk don't get it Carl
    You're the man now dog!

Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboGizzmo View Post
    One proggie I talked to didnt like the games availible for her son back in the 80s so she wrote her own for him....
    I wrote a few games back in the 80's, partly to show my daughter how to play a few. I was even in an article in Gamespot once on Startrek games (I wrote one).

Carl

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

I wrote a few games back in the 80's, partly to show my daughter how to play a few. I was even in an article in Gamespot once on Startrek games (I wrote one).
    I wrote a Donkey Kong clone for the VIC-20 once. Had something like 5 bytes of RAM left over at the end.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Carl
    Ohh where is your software library??
    1998 CBR600F3 "Desert Storm" - SOLD

WAS keeping the banana seat alive!