Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Conclussion of my massive Park County ticket

Conclussion of my massive Park County ticket

So as some of you may know on July 4th 2008 11 of us from the CSC did a 500+ mile trip dubed the Firecracker 500.

On our way back while traveling on Hwy24 just a few miles before Wilkerson Pass 5 of us were pulled over by a Park County Sheriff for speeding.

Initially the officer told us we were all going 105mph and then took our license/reg/insurance and returned a few minutes later. He told the group it was our lucky day and to GTFO of Park County, except for me. Because I had a passenger I was the only one he could pick out, lol.

Shannon and I told the guy we were actually doing 90 according the the speedo as that's what the bike maxed out at the 10,000 ft of elevation and two riders.

I was written a ticket for 12pts 105 speeding, 4pts Careless driving and a Lvl 3 misd for reckless endangerment.

In September I went to Fairplay, CO for court for the first time. Initially the DA offered to drop the two smaller charges but wanted me to plead guilty to the 12 point speeding. I told him no thanks and we returned a month later; this time I brought my wife and my dad joined in (he thought the ticket was BS considering there were 5 of us and radar doesn't tell the user which target it has and he was a traffic DA 30 years ago (still a DA but hasn't done traffic in a long, long time).

We also pointed out that the difference between 12pts and 6 points was 1 mile per hour (105 was 40 over, 104 would have been 39 over and 6 points) - with that the DA offered 6 points for the speeding but wanted to readd the 4 point careless for a net of 10 points.

A few more visits later, I grudgenly took the 10 points (I wanted the 6 point speeding and the other two dropped).

$300 in fines, $124 in court cost for a total of $424, 10 points and 24hrs of community service.

By the grace of god I still have 2 points left and I'll get my points back after July 4th 2009, so no speeding for me.

So, to echo what Judge Green said "I wouldn't speed in Park County".

-Clovis
    "If not us, who? If not now, when?"

Re: Conclussion of my massive Park County ticket

not sure whether or not congrats are in order..... i guess congrats that you didnt lose your DL.... knock on wood, i havent gotten a ticket in over a year.... i think thats the longest ive ever gone without one. I attribute that mostly due to there not being many speed traps on the dirt trails.... lol

06 DR650SE

AKA "Devaclis"

I would have lawyered up. I have a bit of a hard head when it comes to people telling me I am wrong. I would have rotted in jail for calling the cop and the DA a liar before I settled. Yeah, pathetic of me, I know.

I am glad you did not serve time for this. Can you community service include participating in an MSF course in Park County? You know, as an instructor?
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

^^I think that would pretty much be the definition of irony
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Sucks, but I guess it could have been worse (and better for that fact)?
    I guess an upside is that it's over.

Thanks for the update, sorry it worked out less than you wanted, but glad you aren't wearing orange and picking up trash in leg shackles.
    GSXRScott made me follow him into that corner,...down that hill...there was the time up that washout...crankcase alley...man I gotta stop following him.
    Quote Originally Posted by PharmerKyle View Post
    ...I knew all too well what would happen if the old guy on the Beemer took the lead...

The 24hrs of community service luckfully doesn't have to be in Park County.

It can be anywhere as long as it's approved by the court and the judge said they're pretty open to that as long as it's not something like "Harward's house of giving" (my last name is Harward) is the example the judge used.

While the DA was unflexable the judge on the other hand was friendly and accomidating. I kind of got the impression he wanted to talk me out of taking the deal and offered to give another contience (making 5...) but I told him I would prefer to be over and done with.

I told the judge I wanted to plead no contest to the careless and told my story about the speed and other circumstances. It was kind of funny because they had a light load, it was just me and one other guy there (driving on a suspended license, he got 5 days in jail, doable over the weekends).

As I was handing the clerk $430 in cash (I had to goto the ATM.. the $300 I brought with me wasn't enough, lol) all I could think was "This could have been a new large LCD TV..)

Oh well, at least it's over and I'm not losing my DL, as long as I don't get another ticket for the next 6 months which with the way I drive (now) shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks guys,

-Clovis

on off topic. you still do mortgages and refis?

Yes I do and I also offer substantial discounts for CSC & CRN members.

Call me @ 719-201-9383

-Justin

well its for a friend, Ill pass your number along

You should hit up the fire houses for your community service. I have washed a few firetrucks in my day.........

There's no place like home............

I don't think you should expect to get those points back for at least two (and it could be three) years, unless that was a part of your deal.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Person over the age of 21 is aloud 12point in 1 year and no more then 18 in 2 years time so he may not get all them back right away but most of them is a good thing.

Ya thats good it wasnt as bad as you thought it was going to be. Also part of the reason I would believe he picked you out of everyone was the lack of gear being everyone else was in full leathers. except Kyle and his dual sport
    Last edited by Tipys; Wed Jan 21st, 2009 at 07:56 PM.
    R.I.P. Lahela 10/12/1986-08/01/2008

Want to become a super hero? http://www.donoralliance.org/info-page-1

"I don't fail I just succeed at finding ways that don't work."
    Chris Titus

CSC Spelling Bee Champ 2008 and 2009

Clovis is dangerous!! (and sexy)

That may have been it, I kind of got that impression about the gear too.

I was in my boots, jeans and one of my riding jackets.

If only I had been by myself, then I would have been in full leathers But then again I would have been on the R1 and possibly going much faster?

As far as the points go, you have 12 if you're over 21. Points are deducted retroactively from the date of offense and thus given back after 1 year. However you are only allowed 18 in 2 years.

So basically it works like this. I had 12, lost 10 but I had already lost 3 in the 2 year period.

So in July 2009 it will be a year from this little fiasco and I'll regain my 10 points, it will also be 2 years from the previous 3 points so I'll have 8 points remaining instead of 12.

Once another year passes again I'll have the full number of points.

- Sexy Clovis

Notice your insurance jump yet?

I never tell my insurance people about tickets, if they want to know, it is their job to spend their resources to find out how much they want to charge me. I mean, they don't call me every month and ask if I want to file a claim.....
    The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR

Quote Originally Posted by d3spair View Post
    Clovis is dangerous!! (and sexy)

You're just saying that becuase he's a "renegade" lawless biker type
    GSXRScott made me follow him into that corner,...down that hill...there was the time up that washout...crankcase alley...man I gotta stop following him.
    ...I knew all too well what would happen if the old guy on the Beemer took the lead...

The state may drop the points, but the insurance companies will gouge you for that ticket for at least 3 years.
    THERE ARE TWO KINDS OF RIDERS: THOSE THAT HAVE CRASHED, AND THOSE THAT ARE GOING TO CRASH.

An acquaintance here in the Springs had to do 24 hours of community service. He knew someone at the fire department who put him on a 24 hour shift one weekend. A lot of his community service time was spent sleeping on the sofa. His job was to answer the phone if it rang.

Guess it pays to know someone in the fire department.

Have to add: A lawyer costs money but can actually save you some hassles in the long run. Glad they didn't nail you for everything.
    Last edited by Matt; Thu Jan 22nd, 2009 at 12:41 PM. Reason: condolences

Sounds about like Fairplay...sorry to hear you got bent over by that shithole town!

Last edited by modette99; Mon Nov 7th, 2011 at 04:03 PM.

Last edited by modette99; Mon Nov 7th, 2011 at 04:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by modette99 View Post
    Glad to hear you are done with it now Clovis...Yep, time to move on and put it behind you.

Whaaa?!? You kidding? This is SoCo. We're gonna rag on him about this until he does something else. Thats why we still pick on GSXRScott about the wheel, Tipsys about his 650 at the track, Matty for his scuffs on the 750, Me for being ero-trash, Bash for being bionic, Krissy for being...well...Krissy.

I mean really, are ya new?

Mental, what the heck is your avatar? It sort of looks like one of the guys from mad max but the image is a bit pixelated. Can we get a little more high res. here?
    The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR