Thread: I have a big question

Cool I have a big question

So Im talking to this guy and I'm about to buy this bike in cali. the guy said that he doesn't have the title because he never got around to do it but that he has the dealers registration and that I can get a title with that. Is this true and can the dealers registration be transfered to me? Only thing I'm thinking about is... is it possible he never paid for the bike and bailed out on paying the rest for the bike and never got to it because he still owes on it? thanks guys....
    TintTechonline.com or PM me- Tint for your car!!!

DIS-MEMBERED
    (Banned)

Re: I have a big question

Quote Originally Posted by guessinthe2000 View Post
    So Im talking to this guy and I'm about to buy this bike in cali. the guy said that he doesn't have the title because he never got around to do it but that he has the dealers registration and that I can get a title with that. Is this true and can the dealers registration be transfered to me? Only thing I'm thinking about is... is it possible he never paid for the bike and bailed out on paying the rest for the bike and never got to it because he still owes on it? thanks guys....

the deal can issue paperwork to get title from the DMV, if the bike is fully paid off, then you of course get the title.

how old is this bike? did he just buy it NEW? and is getting rid of it before he got the title?

My advice, if you plan on riding it on the streets, get the title from the guy or make him get it, there may be taxes and fees to pay, that he does not want to pay or cannot pay. Or the bike is stolen.

um not that I have ever worked at a bike dealership or anything, or know the ins and outs of finance.

He told me he bought it new and is an 06

In the pics he sent me I did see he had current tags which wouldn't be possible if he was lying. Unless he just took someone else's tags
    Last edited by guessinthe2000; Mon Jan 26th, 2009 at 11:55 PM.

Just be careful, I am from Michigan originally. They give the title to the "owner", not the lean holder, even if a lean exists. I have no knowledge of CA law, but in CO you do not get the title until the lean is "forgiven". When I first moved to CO in 2001, I had a title and registration "in hand" even when I had a lean on the bike. Every state is different and you can never ask too many questions!!
    I play more games that Coleco!!

No title = No sale ! If he really is legit and wants to sell it, he will get it done for you. Ive had several dudes try to sell me bikes with out getting the title work done, I simply tell them, go get a legit title in YOUR name, and Ill buy it. Usually 2 days later they have the title and are ready to sell.. If they dont, move on.
    R6-Forum's June 2010 Ride of the Month!

Sig. Courtesy of GIJoe007

Dion's Sponsorhouse

Sponsors:
    Rief Resources Media/Rebellion Motorsports /
    Lockhart Phillips / Factory Backing / GoPro Camera

I think he's saying he has the MSO sheet (Manufacturers Statement of Origin). This is one of the items you take in to the DMV when you apply for a title and register for plates. So, I don't see how he could have legit plates and NOT have a title in his name.

I see at least two possibilities -

1) He has a loan out on the bike, so the title has been issued to him but the bank is physically holding it and is listed as a lien holder (so he doesn't have "clear" title)

2) He never did actually title the bike, which means the plates aren't legit

Either way, it doesn't pass the smell test. If you have either the VIN or the plate number, call the California Highway Patrol and tell them you are considering buying this bike and you want to know if it or it's plates have been reported stolen. They should run the numbers and give you a simple yes or no (though don't expect any additional info).
    The GECCO

You begin your riding career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Sam... where in Cali. I can have someone check the bike out if it's in or near the LA area.
    Remember Yesterday. Plan For Tomorrow. Live For Today.

Current Stable:

'o5 SuzukiGSX-1oooR
    (Custom Street Fighter).
    'o6 Pitster Pro 50cc Pit Bike (125cc Big Bore Kit).

Quote Originally Posted by Matty View Post
    Sam... where in Cali. I can have someone check the bike out if it's in or near the LA area.

I will even be in LA next month with trailer in tow. Let me know if you need any help.
    For My Diavan

This smells to high heaven. I do work in the business and under Colorado law a private individual cannot transfer ownership without having title in their name. It can be done with powers of attorney but you still have to obtain title in the sellers name and then use the POA to transfer it to you. If California law is different I suppose you could get a CA title in your name and then transfer it to CO but I would stay away from the whole deal myself.

Thanks to everyone. Bike is Palm Springs Cali.

Cool Re: I have a big question

Quote Originally Posted by Craven_Morehead View Post
    I will even be in LA next month with trailer in tow. Let me know if you need any help.
    are you taking a trailer down there and back? When next month?

Thanks to everyone. Bike is Palm Springs Cali.
    i have a few friends in PS. give me a call.
    Remember Yesterday. Plan For Tomorrow. Live For Today.

Current Stable:

'o5 SuzukiGSX-1oooR
    (Custom Street Fighter).
    'o6 Pitster Pro 50cc Pit Bike (125cc Big Bore Kit).

are you taking a trailer down there and back? When next month?

Trailer there and back. Will be out there February 25th, coming back on March 2nd. Definitely have one of Matty's boys check the bike out if they are down there, and make sure they can get the title before you even wire money. Keep me posted.
    For My Diavan