Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ride 01-31-09

Ride 01-31-09

Well if it does get 58-60ish on Saturday I'm going to cruise around town in the Springs for a bit and get a feel for the new bike. Anyone is welcome to come (except Dallas) PM me for my #..

Re: Ride 01-31-09

Around town? Kinda squidish
    If You Can't Ride It or Take it to Bed. It Ain't Worth Having!

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by matt2778 View Post
    why??

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

"Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Exposed Member Lifetime Supporter Bashed's Avatar

Like this ?

Squid is a slang term used to describe an irresponsible motorcyclist. The term is common among motorcyclists in North America.
    The term is generally used to describe a motorcyclist who rides aggressively, erratically or beyond their capabilities. Squids are perceived as overconfident and often ride without appropriate safety equipment, such as a helmet, gloves, leather jacket, riding pants, or boots.
    The origin of the term squid is ambiguous. It is commonly said to be a contraction of squirrely and kid, or less commonly, squished and kid. a female rider who exhibits these characteristics is typically called a squirrel, for squirrely girl.
    Squid is also described occasionally as an acronym, although these are likely backronyms.

• "Stupidly Quick, Underdressed, Ignorant and Dangerous"
      • "Stupidly Quick, Underdressed and Imminently Dead"
      • "Super Quick Until I Die"
      • "Speeding Quickly Until I Die"
    Another possibility is that the term originally referred to newly-inducted sailors based in San Diego in the 1960s, who sometimes used inexpensive two-stroke motorcycles for transportation. The term could have originally referred to these unprotected, inexperienced "marine life" moving through traffic rapidly and leaving a trail of black "ink" (the characteristic dark colored two-stroke exhaust) behind. Squid was also a more general derogatory term for sailors of this time.
    Motorcyclists will often note similarities between how a squid rides and the manner in which a squid swims. Squids may appear unable to change direction while swimming without first coming to a near stop, but then accelerate very rapidly. Beginning motorcyclists may often experience difficulty negotiating turns at normal rates of speed, but have a tendency to ride very fast on straight sections of road.
    Actions that may cause a motorcyclist to be identified as a squid are those that are seen as reckless or excessive, such as speeding or performing wheelies or stoppies, especially in the midst of other traffic. A rider may also be labeled a squid by their lack of appropriate attire, such as by riding while wearing shorts, ball caps, flip flops, and so-called wifebeater shirts, or no shirt at all. The wearing of tank tops by "squids" was satirized by Ian Johnston who wrote an article that was widely distributed on the internet claiming that a Corona tank top was safer than wearing motorcycle racing leathers.[1]
    Because a squid eschews all or many of the social and legal norms of riding behavior, they are usually looked upon with derision by experienced motorcyclists, who may also refer to them as "organ donors", "zip-splats", "skin crayons",[2] or "soon-to-be ex-motorcyclists".
    It is important to note that a lack of safety equipment is not normative of squidly behavior. Many squids wear safety equipment, although this is often alleged to be for aesthetic purposes. The term is most often applied as an insult to a rider's behavior or skill.

Or do you mean the marine animal?
    * Bash, Bashasaurus, Ms Bash, his neighbors or friends are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you being squidish, squid like, squirting ink, or waving your non-covered tentacles about in a squidy fashion. Nor is he or his associates responsible for any citations as a result of you hanging with SoCo. Any attempt to coerce, blame, question, or pin your loser-riffic behavior on any of us, or those who are considered us for the night, as well as people we like, to include Salma Hayek and Nicky Hayden, among others, will result in a profanity stricken series of post that mock and taunt you incessantly, as well as many of us adding such insults to our signature lines. Avoid taking SoCo before bedtime. Do not use if you experience faintness, dizziness, inverness, difficulty urinating or blotchy skin. If I steal a line, quote, avatar or image from a post you make on the internet, you're not getting credit.*

Thanks Nick !
    * Bash, Bashasaurus, Ms Bash, his neighbors or friends are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you being squidish, squid like, squirting ink, or waving your non-covered tentacles about in a squidy fashion. Nor is he or his associates responsible for any citations as a result of you hanging with SoCo. Any attempt to coerce, blame, question, or pin your loser-riffic behavior on any of us, or those who are considered us for the night, as well as people we like, to include Salma Hayek and Nicky Hayden, among others, will result in a profanity stricken series of post that mock and taunt you incessantly, as well as many of us adding such insults to our signature lines. Avoid taking SoCo before bedtime. Do not use if you experience faintness, dizziness, inverness, difficulty urinating or blotchy skin. If I steal a line, quote, avatar or image from a post you make on the internet, you're not getting credit.*

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bashed View Post
    Thanks Nick !

It was the squidly thing to do
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Here we go......

John

im new to the forum and fairly new to town, but im down to ride. ill be at bike night tonight if any of ya'll are there..

was anyone planning on going up to the motorcycle show tomorrow?

Quote Originally Posted by d3spair View Post
    Well if it does get 58-60ish on Saturday I'm going to cruise around town in the Springs for a bit and get a feel for the new bike. Anyone is welcome to come (except Dallas) PM me for my #..

Good call!
    I'm going to see him right now I will pass along
    your sentiments. You know Dallas, he really
    loves this kind of attention.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by JohnEffinK View Post
    Here we go......

John
    no i dont think so...
    i think most people on this site know its only the super track gods that talk shit about other riders on this site..

Townie you say that like the stunters don't talk shit either. Its simple everyone talks shit
    R.I.P. Lahela 10/12/1986-08/01/2008

Want to become a super hero? http://www.donoralliance.org/info-page-1

"I don't fail I just succeed at finding ways that don't work."
    Chris Titus

CSC Spelling Bee Champ 2008 and 2009

Gold Member

yeah but we will say it your face..

Oh, I say stuff to peaples face too. Its funny.
    GSXRScott made me follow him into that corner,...down that hill...there was the time up that washout...crankcase alley...man I gotta stop following him.
    Quote Originally Posted by PharmerKyle View Post
    ...I knew all too well what would happen if the old guy on the Beemer took the lead...

I'd love to but stuck doing server maintenace all weekend. Have fun and keep the shiny side up.

Leah
    05 Raven R1
    01 YZ250F

What is all this bullshit about riding? What the hell do you people think this is, a motorcycle club or something?

Oh, and Jason is mad and doesn't want to ride with me anymore when I stopped giving him Mustache rides!!!!

There's no place like home............

Quote Originally Posted by dallas View Post
    What is all this bullshit about riding? What the hell do you people think this is, a motorcycle club or something?...
    YOU SHUT YOUR MOUTH WHEN YOU'RE TALKING TO ME!!!!
    GSXRScott made me follow him into that corner,...down that hill...there was the time up that washout...crankcase alley...man I gotta stop following him.
    Quote Originally Posted by PharmerKyle View Post
    ...I knew all too well what would happen if the old guy on the Beemer took the lead...

meeting time and place?
    Last edited by spdr8cr02; Fri Jan 30th, 2009 at 10:27 PM.

Awesome riding today, beautiful weather!!
    Last edited by d3spair; Sat Jan 31st, 2009 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by d3spair View Post
    Awesome riding today, beautiful weather!!

It was great today

I bundled up and managed a quick zip up to bishops castle from pueblo. It was cold through the mountains but otherwise it was top notch riding today!

Quote Originally Posted by #1Townie View Post
    yeah but we will say it your face..
    word.
    i was riding with aboot 10 or more bikes saw none of ya. but we werent in town, we were out and aboot. saw tracy, jackel. all the other "riders" were garaged ima thinkin.

Hey Brat I rode right past you yesturday. On powers Atleast I think it was you there cant be more then one person riding around on a yellow tl with a blue icon jacket on.
    R.I.P. Lahela 10/12/1986-08/01/2008

Want to become a super hero? http://www.donoralliance.org/info-page-1

"I don't fail I just succeed at finding ways that don't work."
    Chris Titus

CSC Spelling Bee Champ 2008 and 2009

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brat View Post
    word.
    i was riding with aboot 10 or more bikes saw none of ya. but we werent in town, we were out and aboot. saw tracy, jackel. all the other "riders" were garaged ima thinkin.
    yeah i went to denver sat and rode with those guys.. it was nice.. got kicked out of the first spot by like 6 cops.. then the rest of the day nothing, it was good times..

We went and played around on Captn Jacks and north Cheyenne canyon, I only crashed 3 times so it was a great day in the Rockies!! Great riding weather.
    Bashed Bikes, Fat Kids Inc., JDH Welding /Mental made me follow him into that corner... And then he followed me down that hill and then Dallas followed too!