Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: T's Noob Question of the week - Riding the Turns!

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Re: T's Noob Question of the week - Riding the Turns!

And the only way to get there is to ride. Not by posting on a board.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

NM
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

Going into blind corners at speed on the road is stupid. People who hit right/left hand blind corners on the street at speed have not slid accross oncoming traffic or ran wide into oncoming traffic. If your lucky enough to live through that first mistake of doing so, chances are it will scare the living shit out of you and you will ride more consevatively on the street(around blind corners) from there on after. Nothing like taking a corner and seeing some rocks and stuff while you are pretty heavily leaned over with no place to go, let alone that stopped RV who is looking at a Deer midcorner.
    www.chuckdavisrestorations.com

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Go Stoner #27 "The Absolute Intercontinental Ballistic Missile of MotoGP!"

Go Sykes #66 2013 WSBK Champion. Go Green!

Quote Originally Posted by kawasakirob View Post
    .. Nothing like taking a corner and seeing some rocks and stuff while you are pretty heavily leaned over with no place to go, let alone that stopped RV who is looking at a Deer midcorner.
    rocks, deer, RV... .. or the cop who gave us the "slow down" sign on P2P yesterday afternoon.
    Last edited by asp_125; Mon Jun 29th, 2009 at 03:45 PM.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

I must admit that i've recently fallen pray to the fearless rider in some cases. The abilities in myself have grown in leaps and bounds. The understand of weather conditions and tire prepareness are becoming easier to understand. The more you ride in changing conditions the more you understand about your bikes ability. You understand if road variables come your way you have several things at your favor. One, speed. Which is also deadly. Two, the make/compound of your tires. Three, your ability to plan exit strategies. Four, how well you know your bike. Do you ride relaxed or do you grip the handles to where your hands hurt at the end of a ride?

Each of course is mix differently based on the environment. But, knowing and appreciating each gives, at least me, the ability to enjoy a ride and "dodge" the unknown. Dodge you shall.

In short, I think the true riders of this sport come to terms about life and it's possiblities. It's probably more stupid than anything but it seems this is based on perspective.

If a person is unsure about this sport then perhaps they should take the time to evaluate their situation. May be happier doing something else. There is nothing wrong with trying and disliking and moving on. Shows courage you tried and an open mind for future endevours.
    01000011 00111101 00101000 01010000 00100000 01111000 00100000 01101011 00110001 00100000 00100000 00100000 01101011 00110010 00101001 01101101 01101111 01100100 00100000 00110010 00110110 00001101 00001010 01010000 00111101 00101000 00101000 01000011 00100000 00101101 00100000 01101011 00110010 00101001 00100000 01111000 00100000 00101101 01101011 00110001 00101001 01101101 01101111 01100100 00110010 00110110

Quote Originally Posted by LiQuIdAiR=OTB= View Post
    I must admit that i've recently fallen pray to the fearless rider in some cases. The abilities in myself have grown in leaps and bounds. The understand of weather conditions and tire prepareness are becoming easier to understand. The more you ride in changing conditions the more you understand about your bikes ability. You understand if road variables come your way you have several things at your favor. One, speed. Which is also deadly. Two, the make/compound of your tires. Three, your ability to plan exit strategies. Four, how well you know your bike. Do you ride relaxed or do you grip the handles to where your hands hurt at the end of a ride?

Each of course is mix differently based on the environment. But, knowing and appreciating each gives, at least me, the ability to enjoy a ride and "dodge" the unknown. Dodge you shall.

In short, I think the true riders of this sport come to terms about life and it's possiblities. It's probably more stupid than anything but it seems this is based on perspective.

If a person is unsure about this sport then perhaps they should take the time to evaluate their situation. May be happier doing something else. There is nothing wrong with trying and disliking and moving on. Shows courage you tried and an open mind for future endevours.
    :
    I hold it true, whate'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have ridden and lost
    Than never to have ridden at all.

--- Alfred Lord Tennyson's poem In Memoriam:27, 1850

Learning to trail brake, AKA braking while leaned over will save your life someday. Those riders who must stand up their bikes to brake hard will one day ride out of their lane and into the grill of the on-coming RV that's half in their lane. The other life saving skill is knowing how to lean your bike WAY over and trust the tires. And not leaning the other way so your foot pegs ground out and lever the tires off the ground and you low side. Ride into blind turns way deep -- late apex -- so you have as much time and road as possible to correct for any surprises. And yes, Virginia, some folks just ride stupid fast and hope their luck, not skill, gets them through alive.
    Free your mind!

Counter steering isn't a too bad thing to know either.

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    rocks, deer, RV... .. or the cop who gave us the "slow down" sign on P2P yesterday afternoon.
    Yeah no kidding
    www.chuckdavisrestorations.com

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Go Stoner #27 "The Absolute Intercontinental Ballistic Missile of MotoGP!"

Go Sykes #66 2013 WSBK Champion. Go Green!

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter 64BonnieLass's Avatar

Wow. I missed some of the recent comments posted. But I have done some soul searching in recent days.

I post these questions in the hopes of the conversation. And I really feel that there are many many great posts here and in my other BS T's Q threads. There is a great deal of knowledge to be gained. I hope to better myself through those conversations. If someone else is able to identify then great. If the questions appear to be stupid to some of you, then so be it.

But I sincerely have no issues with humbling myself to whatever degree to ask, either for my betterment or for others who may be reading.

I ride. I ride as much as I can and with as many varied groups as I can to as many different routes as I can.

But in my searching, and some of these posts have helped immensely, I have decided what kind of rider I want to be.

I have a great deal of work to do as a rider. And it may (probably will) take the rest of my life to accomplish it. But I take pleasure in that. Because the path will be on a bike, which is all I ever wanted anyway.

I suppose my conclusion is that I just want to ride. I don't want Mach 3. I don't want dangerous blind turns, at those speeds, to fooker my life up. When I am doing 20+ over posted in the canyons, and still the slow chic?....I am perfectly at peace with that.

All I want is to ride. And to be a better rider over the course of time.

If you want to help, great. If you want to critisize me, then piss off, and save your participation for another thread. Because there may actually be somebody other then me, to whom this thread means something to.

Otherwise, there are some fantastic learning tips from a lot of great people here. Thank you to those people who offered up their opinions and lessons.
    Last edited by 64BonnieLass; Wed Jul 1st, 2009 at 10:26 PM.
    "Keep that "what if" thought in the back of your mind; it's the angel on your shoulder balancing the devil in your right hand."

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."

2005 SV650S Street

Quote Originally Posted by pannetron View Post
    Learning to trail brake, AKA braking while leaned over will save your life someday. Those riders who must stand up their bikes to brake hard will one day ride out of their lane and into the grill of the on-coming RV that's half in their lane. The other life saving skill is knowing how to lean your bike WAY over and trust the tires. And not leaning the other way so your foot pegs ground out and lever the tires off the ground and you low side. Ride into blind turns way deep -- late apex -- so you have as much time and road as possible to correct for any surprises. And yes, Virginia, some folks just ride stupid fast and hope their luck, not skill, gets them through alive.

Wait whats this rear brake you speak of?

And yes Terry ride, ride, and then ride some more.
    R.I.P. Lahela 10/12/1986-08/01/2008

Want to become a super hero? http://www.donoralliance.org/info-page-1

"I don't fail I just succeed at finding ways that don't work."
    Chris Titus

CSC Spelling Bee Champ 2008 and 2009

Maybe I was too harsh. I will go ride all weekend and think about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipys View Post
    Wait whats this rear brake you speak of?
    And yes Terry ride, ride, and then ride some more.
    Yea, I actually was lectured on a canyon ride for using my rear brake in the turns..and how dangerous it was. All I did, was nod. If you can use it appropriately, it's a stellar tool. Of course now, I have a hard time using rear, because of the track, but I ride differently track vs. street. Weird sometimes even to me, how differently I ride in those two venues.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja View Post
    Maybe I was too harsh. I will go ride all weekend and think about that.
    Excellent Idea dear heart!!! And yes, you were too harsh. But we can discuss it. I deleted some of my posts, but after thinking about it, I feel the way I feel, and I am the way I am. And I have no reason to be ashamed for the way I ride or my ideals on riding, that work for me. I ride my own ride, and I always will. Hmmmm...who taught me that one?
    "Keep that "what if" thought in the back of your mind; it's the angel on your shoulder balancing the devil in your right hand."

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."

2005 SV650S Street

I don't ever use the rear brake unless stopped while on a hill.
    R.I.P. Lahela 10/12/1986-08/01/2008

Want to become a super hero? http://www.donoralliance.org/info-page-1

"I don't fail I just succeed at finding ways that don't work."
    Chris Titus

CSC Spelling Bee Champ 2008 and 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Tipys View Post
    I don't ever use the rear brake unless stopped while on a hill.
    Yea, and I happen to have the luxury to know a VERY good rider who uses it in canyons on the super tight spots. I have yet to master it, but it works and works well, with throttle control. I don't even know where I picked it up from initially, but for some reason I started using it early on. And it works if you can use it appropriately.

I'm still practicing and will be for years to come.

2005 SV650S Street

Leroy Brown

I'm not a big betting man but I'd wager 60-80% of those who ride 6/10ths or higher would be highly screwed if there was an obstacle in the road, around a blind corner, that could not be driven around. (probably me included)

The odds are astronomical that there will NEVER be something like that in your path. But still, once...

When I used to ride ALL THE TIME at 6 or higher I rode with a GREAT deal of faith that there were no such obstacles in my way. Arrogance will kill ya, sure.

But don't most of us have the expectation that NOTHING will EVER happen to MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE....?
    SPEED SAFELY!!

Leroy Brown

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    I think a lot of people ride well beyond safe limits on the street. Either they fool themselves about the actual safety margin, they over estimate thier abilities, etc, etc.
    And who hasn't seen those riders (sport, cruiser and tourer) who are over their head the second they pull the cover off their bike?
    Totally unaware and without a care.

I've mentioned to 2 people in my life that they should NOT be riding motorcycles. Just never "got it". Never sought knowledge, never practiced their skills... Both fell over - really didn't have the skill to ride fast - scuffed up their bikes on multiple occasions until the family stepped in with an "intervention". "Daddy... please don't die"
    SPEED SAFELY!!

Douche Yearly Supporter Sortarican's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 64BonnieLass View Post
    How do you guys do spirited runs, and take those turns so fast not knowing what is on the other side?...
    Ask Carrie, she has that shit down.

Still too soon?
    Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet.

Quote Originally Posted by 64BonnieLass View Post
    Yea, and I happen to have the luxury to know a VERY good rider who uses it in canyons on the super tight spots. I have yet to master it, but it works and works well, with throttle control. I don't even know where I picked it up from initially, but for some reason I started using it early on. And it works if you can use it appropriately.

I'm still practicing and will be for years to come.
    It's covered in this vid as a way to "pivot" through square corners:
    Ride Like Rossi pt1
    Ride Like Rossi pt2
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    08 KTM Super Duke Rtard

It's all about risk Terri...Most of life is. (sometimes it bites you in the ass) If you wanna take the risk of losing your $5-$30k bike due to a wash out or some four legged creature... Some days I do and some I don't.

When I do, it's usually still with some cation. Having the ability to put some of the bikes capacity on reserve to get me out of a crappy situation. I use both front and rear brakes. (you still have 20-30% stopping power at the rear wheel) Using the engine speed more than anything else. If you keep your rpms high then you have a lot more control of deceleration and acceleration than if they were low. And try to limit the pucker effects because if you aren't calm enough to control your bike, the bike sure as hell won't save your ass.
    And like the others say.. get some experience on the roads that you wanna go fast on. When you know what the blind corner looks like on the other side, when the surprises come up then you can say "self, something is not right here at all".
    Just be smooth and consistent instead of trying to be faster. It will be lot more fun that way for sure. Oh yeah. don't forget to use ALL of your lane. Wide out, close in, and wide back out.

ok, I am done...

rant on rantas

Sol Performance/ Preilli Race tires ...........Buy and sell take offs!!
    solperformance@gmail.com .............. www.2ndroll.com
    233. S. Madsion Ave. Loveland, CO 80537
    970.SOL.TIRE

Wonderful comments everyone. Thank you so much. There are some great opinions that hit home from almost everybody who has posted. Seat time and personal experience is what all new riders need. But your perspectives help a lot too. Thanks guys.

Wintermute, great links on the trail breaking. Practice, practice...

I just love this sport.
    Last edited by 64BonnieLass; Fri Jul 3rd, 2009 at 05:07 PM.

2005 SV650S Street