Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: T's Noob Question of the week - Riding the Turns!

Re: T's Noob Question of the week - Riding the Turns!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    But have no clue about the car making an illegal u-turn, merging, or just pulling out. Example
    Thus the remark about "what if"
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by 64BonnieLass View Post
    K! Great feedback. But how do you guys go on BLIND FAITH? A blind turn for me, IS blind faith.

Is an "ignorance is bliss" kind of mentality that you have?

Is it faith in your ego that keeps you going in your mind at that kind of speed? Do you just assume it's "all clear" and haul ass?

How do you hit those blind turns never knowing if your 75% or 100% is enough or too much to be safe? Or even better, within your ability - that you are 100% confident that you can handle it?
    Well this is where philosophy meets the road.

How can you be sure that there isn’t a boulder in the road around the next corner?
    Short answer is that you can’t.

Whether it’s your fault, their fault or no body’s fault you have to accept that accidents can and will happen to you and anyone who rides. This means that you will never be 100% sure of anything at anytime. You can’t see around that corner, no one can.

So the question becomes how do you prepare yourself for the eventuality that as some point you will go down? It’s the reason we wear gear. I mean if we knew we were not going to go down that day why would any of us wear it? Yet, we all try our best to cover against road rash, impacts and anything else we can cover.

It comes down to this. The one question we all have to ask ourselves when we start riding is that there will always be a possibility that you can get seriously hurt of even die riding a motorcycle. You can say to yourself this will never happen to me and step away from the bike or accept that the possibility exists and get on one.
    Last edited by Snowman; Tue Feb 3rd, 2009 at 09:19 PM.

MRA Racer No.427

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    I think a lot of people ride well beyond safe limits on the street. Either they fool themselves about the actual safety margin, they over estimate thier abilities, etc, etc.
    A study one time said probably 80% of drivers overestimate their skill. Hopefully us riders are more realistic but I would not be surprised if it's higher. Truthfully, how many of you regularly go back to the parking lot and do the box, or practice panic stops? I know I don't and should.

So given the fact that most of us are probably egotistic and think we're better riders, in real life, backing it off to 7/10ths is probably a good idea to buy us that safety margin we'll no doubt need.
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Great discussion btw. I think all newbies should read this.
    my Facebook, SpeedShots

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter 64BonnieLass's Avatar

Ooooooo, good comment Randall. And I am the personality that I would rather slide into the grave sideways, however, I believe in calculated risks at the same time. Risk is freeking fun. Calculated risk is harder but still pretty fun. I'm about having fun yet still mitigating death.

I realize there are some asshats who ride sideways because they either don't care or simply aren't old enough to educate themselves.

But for those of you that are seasoned and stellar riders...I still don't have an answer about running those turns at those kind of speeds on blind faith.
    "Keep that "what if" thought in the back of your mind; it's the angel on your shoulder balancing the devil in your right hand."

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."

2005 SV650S Street

And that is the next question a rider must ask. How much risk am I willing to take. Some here are fine pushing 90% into that corner because they have been around it a hundred times, while other take it at 60% because it’s a new road to them.

It’s personal choice. What do you as a rider, on this day, with this machine, wearing this gear, feel about the next corner?

MRA Racer No.427

But for those of you that are seasoned and stellar riders...I still don't have an answer about running those turns at those kind of speeds on blind faith.

why do you need an answer
    Motorcycle Roadracing Association #29
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

i love the rule of 70 percent, although when you get going sometimes the pure joy of it will get me above that. what i do always try to do is ride tire lines cause this gives me 2 things, 1 is better traction, the sand ect gets kicked away by the car tires so less chance of slip and also better area grip for braking. secondly by sticking to the two tire lines it puts you to one side and i try to always be ready for an emergency pass if a car or something is stopped in the middle of the road (stalled, saw some deer, taking pictures) and i am unable to make an emergency stop i can whip to the shoulder or the center line (my preference due to the fact that if something is up people tend to stand on the shoulder as opposed to the center line and i DONT WANT TO RUN SOMEONE OVER. these are just things i hope to do if the situation ever came to pass, which i always hope doesnt, and try to avoid. but in all honesty accidents do happen regardless of whether or not you are above speed. all you can do is think and practice in youre mind some of the scenarios and manuevers used to avoid accidents. Mental prep is one of the greatest tools we have.
    Last edited by jimwallace; Tue Feb 3rd, 2009 at 09:53 PM.
    and you did it!

the rest of us were just thinking it.

http://www.myspace.com/adrenalineaddiction24

01 zx9r
    99 r6 (race bike)

Imagine a non-rider or someone just starting out. They look at us countersteering into corners, or executing the "box" and think there's no possible way that can be done. Yet they see us do it. But to them, it seems like such a far removed concept. We tell them it can be done, have faith in the technique and trust the bike. So while to us it's part of our skillset, to them, they have to have faith in that it is possible.

Same here. Experience, ability, and trust. Faith, probably to a degree .. blind? Blind implies ignorance or arrogance. Most of the riders here with some seat time would probably agree, the ones that use blind faith probably don't last very long in the saddle.
    my Facebook, SpeedShots

Quote Originally Posted by UglyDogRacing View Post
    I Think, Therefore I Am. That's why.
    "Keep that "what if" thought in the back of your mind; it's the angel on your shoulder balancing the devil in your right hand."

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."

2005 SV650S Street

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

I ride the corners by the seat of my pants ---------- sometimes ------------- and 35 years riding experience on Colorado roads other times.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

LOL in the beginning when I was an undisciplined n00b, I probably used blind faith (if you call it that) on occasion: "oh God.. oh God.. damn that was close!"
    my Facebook, SpeedShots

I Think, Therefore I Am. That's why.
    You think therefore you survive.

MRA Racer No.427

Quote Originally Posted by jimwallace View Post
    i love the rule of 70 percent, although when you get going sometimes the pure joy of it will get me above that. what i do always try to do is ride tire lines cause this gives me 2 things, 1 is better traction, the sand ect gets kicked away by the car tires so less chance of slip and also better area grip for braking. secondly by sticking to the two tire lines it puts you to one side and i try to always be ready for an emergency pass if a car or something is stopped in the middle of the road (stalled, saw some deer, taking pictures) and i am unable to make an emergency stop i can whip to the shoulder or the center line (my preference due to the fact that if something is up people tend to stand on the shoulder as opposed to the center line and i DONT WANT TO RUN SOMEONE OVER. these are just things i hope to do if the situation ever came to pass which i always hope doesnt and try to avoid. but in all honesty accidents do happen regardless of whether or not you are above speed. all you can do is think and practice in youre mind some of the scenarios and manuevers used to avoid accidents. Mental prep is one of the greatest tools we have.
    OMG, I can't even read that. Do you southies not understand Paragraphs and shit. Ya know...to help the reader, READ. Good god almighty. Use spaces and paragraphs...fine I give......aint gonna happen EVER,

Okay, shit, I just tried a second time and stil NO COMPRENDO...DAMMIT JIM!!! (it's too hard for me hunny)

2005 SV650S Street

I got a question what about the turns you can see everything and then a Harley guy picks the wroung time to pass almost hitting a truck and taking you and a few other riders out at the same time coming towards you?
    R.I.P. Lahela 10/12/1986-08/01/2008

Want to become a super hero? http://www.donoralliance.org/info-page-1

"I don't fail I just succeed at finding ways that don't work."
    Chris Titus

CSC Spelling Bee Champ 2008 and 2009

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

OMG, I can't even read that. Do you southies not understand Paragraphs and shit. Ya know...to help the reader, READ. Good god almighty. Use spaces and paragraphs...fine I give......aint gonna happen EVER,

Okay, shit, I just tried a second time and stil NO COMPRENDO...DAMMIT JIM!!! (it's too hard for me hunny)
    Makes total sense to me. Elephant vision helps.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Quote Originally Posted by Tipys View Post
    I got a question what about the turns you can see everything and then a Harley guy picks the wroung time to pass almost hitting a truck and taking you and a few other riders out at the same time coming towards you?
    Lobby to outlaw Harley’s?

MRA Racer No.427

dont northies know how to spell....still has 2 l's and damnit is spelled damnit........hahah..bring it.......its okay love ya anyway
    and you did it!

01 zx9r
    99 r6 (race bike)

besides, i did use spaces....and that was A paragraph.
    and you did it!

01 zx9r
    99 r6 (race bike)

Quote Originally Posted by UglyDogRacing View Post
    Jim you know exactly why I want the answer. You should know why I want it more than anybody.

I post these questions for others to learn from. Not that I don't hope to benefit, because they are my true questions the more that I ride.

I want to know the motivation that "we" have". I want to know why we blow turns at uncaring speeds with no supposed consequence on the other end??? Really???

I want to know why we, as sportbikes, feel the need to blow turns out of the water on the "street"?

And furthermore, I want to know that if I'm missing something, why am I not willing to do it? Why won't I follow you or anybody else at fucking insane paces? Why are you guys so damed fast in those blind faith turns? What the heck makes me think harder in each turn as though I have something to lose that you don't?

2005 SV650S Street

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    Lobby to outlaw Harley’s?
    I second

dont northies know how to spell....still has 2 l's and damnit is spelled damnit........hahah..bring it.......its okay love ya anyway

Jim dont bring up spelling cause there just gonna bring me into this.

Chris Titus

yeah well trevor i think youre a closet case northie
    and you did it!

01 zx9r
    99 r6 (race bike)

The only thing that matters, is if at the end of the ride you take off your helmet with a smile, thinking.. damn that was a fun ride, can't wait to do it again. Then you walk into the house and kiss your loved one(s). That's all the justification needed, not how fast or slow you ride or how willing you are to push the envelope.

And furthermore, I want to know that if I'm missing something, why am I not willing to do it? Why won't I follow you or anybody else at fucking insane paces? Why are you guys so damed fast in those blind faith turns? What the heck makes me think harder in each turn as though I have something to lose that you don't?
    Because you do have something to lose, not only are you riding for yourself, but your friends as well. Imagine the trauma if any of us were to lose a fellow rider on a ride. We'd hate to lose a companion like you, or anyone for that matter. Survival instinct.. it's a good thing.
    Last edited by asp_125; Tue Feb 3rd, 2009 at 10:08 PM.
    my Facebook, SpeedShots

yeah well trevor i think youre a closet case northie

Don't you every say that shit agian

Chris Titus