Thread: Denver to Miller Motorsports for HANNspree FIM Superbike World Championship

Denver to Miller Motorsports for HANNspree FIM Superbike World Championship

Hey guys and gals! I finally got a hold of that 1000RR I've been trying to buy. Now I'm just trying to decide if I want to insure it and ride it this winter. On that note, I'm thinking of riding out to Miller for the Superbike World Championship May 29-31. I would like to ride up 40 through Winterpark and Seamboat Springs. What kind of road conditions could I expect in late May?
    "Leze Le Bon Temps Roulet"
    Let The Good Times Roll!!

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Re: Denver to Miller Motorsports for HANNspree FIM Superbike World Championship

Generally clear conditions, warm when it's sunny. Watch out for late-season sand in the corners, and sporadic snowfall isn't unheard of at higher elevations. At lower elevations, thunderstorms are possible and suck to ride through in the mountains. Just keep an eye on the weather, and don't go crazy on any corner you can't absolutely see all of.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Ok, sounds pretty good, then. I might have a few buddies trucking their bikes up here for a week of riding and I figure that might be a fantastic ride for someone who hasn't ridden CO. We could make it a 2 day ride out there, watch races all weekend and 2 days back. What do you think? Have you ridden any of that route before?

I made this ride in early May 2005 with no problems. The uncertain stretches will be Berthoud Pass, Rabbit Ears Pass, and near Strawberry Reservoir on the approach to Heber City SE of SLC.

Here's the ride report with images and ride video along the way... http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6100

Rode with six others out to Tooele last year for the WSBK's. Took the more scenic, but longer route... Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Grand Mesa, Moab, a great UT 35 from north of Duchesne to Francis (Check this out on a map when passing through Duchesne on Hwy 40... it is paved, lonely, and sweet). Then we returned through the stacked national parks, monuments and canyons of southern Utah. Two days out, two days there, two days back.

Wow, still downloading the last two vids but that ride looks amaizing!! You did a fantastic job! How bad would that ride have been on a sportbike, I'll be on a Honda 1000RR? Also, how often did you see temps in the 30s?

I'll think you'll be fine. I made that ride / ride report in early May, and things warm up nicely by the end of May. When we rode out last year late May didn't face cold temps at all. At one stop, the Black Canyon of the Gunnison, our group came across another group on the way to Miller as well, and this other group consisted of 5-6 liter bikes like the RR. It can be done. My more sedentary group was astride sport touring bikes . FWIW, saw many sportbikes there from throughout the west, including California. Congrats on that outstanding 1000RR.

BTW... here's the first lap of WSBK #1 as the racers passed the Tooele stands... http://www.farson.com/video/wsbktooele.wmv

Whoww! That's awesome! I don't know if I"m still going to be in Denver by May, I haven't been able to get a job since I got laid off b4 Christmas, but I hope I am. Man, I want to make that ride! You vids are driving me crazy!

Exposed Member Lifetime Supporter Bashed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sfarson View Post
    I'll think you'll be fine. At one stop, the Black Canyon of the Gunnison, our group came across another group on the way to Miller as well, and this other group consisted of 5-6 liter bikes like the RR. It can be done. My more sedentary group was astride sport touring bikes .

That was a few friends from the front range and myself. We overnited in Green River and broke the trip into two days out and two days back. Two 1000RR's and two GSXR 750's. Met a couple more in Tooele and had a really good time. Get yourself down to Escalante, from the north and the town of Torrey on hwy 12, you will love it. It's really worth going if you can. Good to meet you guys touring, Sfarson, we should tour together sometime.

Peace
    Bash
    * Bash, Bashasaurus, Ms Bash, his neighbors or friends are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you being squidish, squid like, squirting ink, or waving your non-covered tentacles about in a squidy fashion. Nor is he or his associates responsible for any citations as a result of you hanging with SoCo. Any attempt to coerce, blame, question, or pin your loser-riffic behavior on any of us, or those who are considered us for the night, as well as people we like, to include Salma Hayek and Nicky Hayden, among others, will result in a profanity stricken series of post that mock and taunt you incessantly, as well as many of us adding such insults to our signature lines. Avoid taking SoCo before bedtime. Do not use if you experience faintness, dizziness, inverness, difficulty urinating or blotchy skin. If I steal a line, quote, avatar or image from a post you make on the internet, you're not getting credit.*

Made the trip last year, wouldn't miss it for the world this year. Passes can be cold and snowy even in May. Usually not a real problem, just slows you down at high elevations for short time. +1 on the road out of Torrey to Escalante. A must do, just do it either in the spring or fall. Too much traffic and too hot in the summer. Here's a pic of Monarch pass last year on the way to Utah.
    Just another motobasturd

Whoww, looks a little cold! Yeah, if I am still around, depending on where I can find a job, I am going to try to plan this trip. Thanks again for the advise, and I'm totally looking forward to the ride!

Kind of reminds me of my motorcycle adventure July 4, 1993 in the Colorado Rockies. Freaking raging blizzard. Turned into a literal survival experience. Fuel tanks drained to start water logged branches on fire. Several in the group heading down that hypothermia trail. Was amazing, and I was actually thinking of the Donner party for a while.

Don't think anyone can say what the weather will be like in the mountains in May. Or any other month for that matter. Probably will be a perfect ride though.
    2017 CBR 1000RR SP2
    2019 Monkey

MSF RiderCoach

Smart Ass
    Track day junkie,
    Cat hater,
    and Mopar addict...
    Admitting you have a problem is the first step...

Sweet, been looking for an excuse to turn cannibal!!

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Leaving on Friday AM
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja View Post
    Leaving on Friday AM
    Man, I am really jealous! Instead of riding my bike out there like I planned, I'm trying to sell most of my stuff so I can afford a uhaul trailer to move back to Louisiana in a couple weeks Have a great time!! take some pics for me...

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RajunCajun View Post
    Man, I am really jealous! Instead of riding my bike out there like I planned, I'm trying to sell most of my stuff so I can afford a uhaul trailer to move back to Louisiana in a couple weeks Have a great time!! take some pics for me...

Will do. Good luck.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja View Post
    Will do. Good luck.
    Thanks buddy! I'll probably catch you guys b4 I roll out.

Im heading out tomorrow morning.
    Is there any other csc people going?

Member Yearly Supporter TommyTheKid's Avatar

I am planning to leave on Thursday morning, going via Highway 40.
    ~~TommyTheKid~~
    BLUE 2005 Suzuki DL-650 V-Strom
    - my first bike - 2006-08-21
    YELLOW 2006 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II - for snowboarding season - 2006-03-18
    ... so, yea, I have some debt