Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Motorcycle endorsement?

Motorcycle endorsement?

Ever since I started riding, I've had my endorsement. But one of the guys at work today, told me he doesn't have his endorsement, and has been riding for a few years now. He also stated that he's been pulled over twice, received a speeding ticket twice, and the officer didn't mention anything about the lack of endorsement.

So this leads me to the question, what is the point of the endorsement?
    Your grammar makes my head hurt.

1994 YZF750R

Gold Member Yearly Supporter McVaaahhh's Avatar

Re: Motorcycle endorsement?

Technically he's riding illegally.
    '02 RC-51 - Street
    '05 Pitster Pro 125 - Pitbike madness

Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to kill everyone you meet.

"Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride."
    ~Dave Karlotski

Quote Originally Posted by Speedwagon View Post
    Ever since I started riding, I've had my endorsement. But one of the guys at work today, told me he doesn't have his endorsement, and has been riding for a few years now. He also stated that he's been pulled over twice, received a speeding ticket twice, and the officer didn't mention anything about the lack of endorsement.

So this leads me to the question, what is the point of the endorsement?
    I think your friend must have been getting lucky. He may be ok on speeding tickets but if he ever crashes or anything like that then he might end up in hot water for not having his endorsement. Not to mention what the insurance company would say. Now if he has a permit, then he can legally ride with other licensed riders.
    Casey D

Douche Yearly Supporter Sortarican's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dragos13 View Post
    ... Now if he has a permit, then he can legally ride with other licensed riders.
    I don't think you have to be with another licensed rider on motorcycle permits. (But you're not allowed to have a passanger)
    I'm pretty sure that's just a car thing.
    Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet.

I rode 2 yrs on my permit and I'm pretty sure (almost 100%) that you must be accompanied by another solo rider who is licensed on his own bike. Someone correct me if this is wrong.
    Casey D

Gold Member

its a good way to get out of that big ticket.. i kept my permet for as long as i could and would not carry the insurance even thou i had it all legit.. most cops dont realy care, if they make comtact with you they have to give some form of ticket and if they have little thing to write you up for then you can get away with the big ticket.. worked for me on i25 in castle rock when i blew by a state trooper at 130.. got a ticket for out of state license no speeding... it doesnt work all the time but sometimes..

I think your friend must have been getting lucky. He may be ok on speeding tickets but if he ever crashes or anything like that then he might end up in hot water for not having his endorsement. Not to mention what the insurance company would say. Now if he has a permit, then he can legally ride with other licensed riders.
    true on all counts
    The time to hesitate is through
    No time to wallow in the mire
    Try now we can only lose
    And our love become a funeral pyre

07 cbr600rr - cookie
    02 yzf600r - sold

From what he said, doesn't sound like he has a permit either. But if the officers don't even care, why would the citizens care?

And the bike/insurance are both under his parents name(he is 25 with a not-so-stellar driving record). Would/could the insurance refuse to cover an incident, if the driver doesn't have the proper endorsement?
    Your grammar makes my head hurt.

1994 YZF750R

what's this endorsement you speak of?
    be nice till it's time to no longer be nice

And the bike/insurance are both under his parents name(he is 25 with a not-so-stellar driving record). Would/could the insurance refuse to cover an incident, if the driver doesn't have the proper endorsement?
    I would say yes. They use any reason not to pay especially if the driver wasn't legally behind the wheel in the first place.
    Casey D

now with bi-turbo goodness Site Admin Mel's Avatar

The insurance company has the right, or will, deny the claim if there is ever an accident without having a license. Other than that, I don't think cops care all that much unless you are being an asshat.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

not sure out here, but back in Cali with a permit you can ride anywhere other than on the freeway, at night, or with a passenger.
    Remember Yesterday. Plan For Tomorrow. Live For Today.

Current Stable:

'o5 SuzukiGSX-1oooR
    (Custom Street Fighter).
    'o6 Pitster Pro 50cc Pit Bike (125cc Big Bore Kit).

From what he said, doesn't sound like he has a permit either. But if the officers don't even care, why would the citizens care?

My motorcycle insurance paperwork did specifically state that if something happened to the bike the driver be it you or someone else must have an endorsement for them to approve the claim.
    The time to hesitate is through
    No time to wallow in the mire
    Try now we can only lose
    And our love become a funeral pyre

07 cbr600rr - cookie
    02 yzf600r - sold

I rode 2 yrs on my permit and I'm pretty sure (almost 100%) that you must be accompanied by another solo rider who is licensed on his own bike. Someone correct me if this is wrong.
    Just checked the manual and it sounds like that's only the case if you're under 18.
    Though it's very badly worded and I could be interpreting it wrong.
    http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite...&ssbinary=true
    Pg.3 bottom left and top right paragraphs.
    Last edited by Sortarican; Thu Feb 5th, 2009 at 01:19 PM.
    Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet.

Caveat:
    If in doubt I'd go with Casey's interpretation.
    Casey actually got his motorcyce endorsement this century.
    When I got mine motorcycles were powered by witchcraft and dinosaurs roamed the earth.

on a permit when i took mine 2 years ago it was you have to be riding with someone over 21 who has there endosment. and not at night or with a passager.
    R.I.P. Lahela 10/12/1986-08/01/2008

Want to become a super hero? http://www.donoralliance.org/info-page-1

"I don't fail I just succeed at finding ways that don't work."
    Chris Titus

CSC Spelling Bee Champ 2008 and 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Tipys View Post
    on a permit when i took mine 2 years ago it was you have to be riding with someone over 21 who has there endosment. and not at night or with a passager.
    How old were you at the time?

Gold Member Yearly Supporter McVaaahhh's Avatar

^^^I think he was about 4...
    '02 RC-51 - Street
    '05 Pitster Pro 125 - Pitbike madness

Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to kill everyone you meet.

"Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride."
    ~Dave Karlotski

My interpretation of the rulebook is that ANY permit holder must have a licensed rider over 21 riding nearby. If you are under 18 the rider can only be your parent or MOST instructor unless you have specific permission from your parent to let others accompany you.

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

After the man took my endorsement away some years back (expired license plate, long story) and I got my permit, I was told by DMV that I needed to have another rider over 21 with me when I was on the bike.

Cops historically haven't been nailing people for no endorsement unless you piss them off, but from some meetings I've had with various folks I would expect that to change. CSP is taking notice, as are some local dept's. Also consider that it's an extra source of revenue, so in these budget-starved times they may be more inclined to nitpick everything they can.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

I wouldn't follow the whole "no endorsement and they will over look everything else" theory. I got pulled over for speeding but didn't have endorsement, ins, or reg.

Left there walking with a 20 point ticket in my pocket which included $250 for speeding.

walk on walkas

Sol Performance/ Preilli Race tires ...........Buy and sell take offs!!
    solperformance@gmail.com .............. www.2ndroll.com
    233. S. Madsion Ave. Loveland, CO 80537
    970.SOL.TIRE

Quote Originally Posted by Matty View Post
    not sure out here, but back in Cali with a permit you can ride anywhere other than on the freeway, at night, or with a passenger.
    Same in Ohio. Only ride during daylight hours, without a passenger, and you're restricted from interstate riding. Nothing about having to have a licesensed or elder rider nearby. The point of having an experience driver in the car is that they can tell you what to do and watch out for you. You can't exactly yell "downshift and blip your throttle" when you're doing 45 down Santa Fe...
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by MetaLord 9 View Post
    Same in Ohio. Only ride during daylight hours, without a passenger, and you're restricted from interstate riding. Nothing about having to have a licesensed or elder rider nearby. The point of having an experience driver in the car is that they can tell you what to do and watch out for you. You can't exactly yell "downshift and blip your throttle" when you're doing 45 down Santa Fe...
    Even after you get your endoresement in Ohio the licensing goes in phases.
    1st year riding = novice with restriction of always wearing a helmet as well as any passenger

My brother back there who just got off of his novice said that the learner's permit rider has to avoid "busy streets" as well.. whatever that means and however they judge what that constitutes.

Whereabouts in Ohio do you hail from MetaLord? I'm from the general Columbus area.
    ~Jess~
    2010 Triumph Daytona 675 SE
    2008 Kawi GREEN Ninja 650R

Quote Originally Posted by ShinySideUp View Post
    Sometimes things happen beyond our power and we can't make it. Like...your brake lines "accidentally" get cut, or a nice man comes through your window in the middle of the night and politely suggests you withdraw from the activity...who knows?

it is anyone with a permit must be accompanied by someone 21 or over with a valid license. although no one said the person accompanying them has to be on a bike. however i do know that you can and will get nailed for not having a permit, but it isnt very often that the cops care about the someone who has a permit but doesnt have anyone accompanying them....not sure why this is but it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    and you did it!

the rest of us were just thinking it.

http://www.myspace.com/adrenalineaddiction24

01 zx9r
    99 r6 (race bike)