Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Student suspended for fake guns

Re: Student suspended for fake guns

Quote Originally Posted by #1Townie View Post
    im not calling you names im showing my zero tolerance for what you so called teachers and admins do with young adults lives... you still dont get it do you?? i didnt go off on you cuz i think you are a poor teacher.. i have no idea what kind of teacher you are.. i showed you the same respect you are showing this girl..

look if you are so scared of these kids then maybe you should choose a new line of work... all the kids that do the things that you are scared of are not the typ that is going to go the extra mile for any kind of school activities.. im sure you can find that in a document some were about trouble kids... then again asking a teacher to educate themselfs on the very people they are teaching may be asking a little to much now days..
    Townie,

I understand your point, but the problem is that even "good kids" can find themselves making poor decisions. As teachers, we make judgement calls on different things everyday, but when it comes to safety, we cannot gamble on the fact that a kid is "good" or not.

Over the last five ten years, things have become increasingly worse with violence in schools. I love teaching, I love my kids, and I love to inspire my kids so they do not end up dropping out, but I have seen many things over the last five years that put our kids and our teachers in jeapordy. After reading the article many times, we are lacking quite a bit of information. However, this is the climate in schools today, and I would hope that a member of the ROTC would understand the threat of having a gun, fake or not, at school. While this could have been an innocent event, it also could have been something different. No matter what the schools do, there are always going to be people who don't agree.

In the end, I would rather protect the safety of all my students and my fellow colleagues. I have attached a quick link that I found to help explain that "good" kids can find themselves making poor decisions. I hope this will help you understand why the district has created these policies.

http://life.familyeducation.com/scho...nce/34437.html

Again, I do not know the specifics of this situation, but being over the top has come from the violence in schools like Columbine and Virginia Tech. This also comes from events that have unfolded in the district and other districts around the country.

I would also invite you to come and volunteer in a school so you can understand what we do in the eyes of an adult. I would love to have you in the classroom so you can see the positive things that teachers and admin to for the kids everyday. Let me know if you are interested.

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

This is a long read but worth it to understand where some schools are these days:

http://www.city-journal.org/html/13_1_how_i_joined.html

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    This is a long read but worth it to understand where some schools are these days:

Dirk

The inmates have taken over the asylum.....
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Repsol a095 View Post
    Townie,

I understand your point, but the problem is that even "good kids" can find themselves making poor decisions. As teachers, we make judgement calls on different things everyday, but when it comes to safety, we cannot gamble on the fact that a kid is "good" or not.

Over the last five ten years, things have become increasingly worse with violence in schools. I love teaching, I love my kids, and I love to inspire my kids so they do not end up dropping out, but I have seen many things over the last five years that put our kids and our teachers in jeapordy. After reading the article many times, we are lacking quite a bit of information. However, this is the climate in schools today, and I would hope that a member of the ROTC would understand the threat of having a gun, fake or not, at school. While this could have been an innocent event, it also could have been something different. No matter what the schools do, there are always going to be people who don't agree.

In the end, I would rather protect the safety of all my students and my fellow colleagues. I have attached a quick link that I found to help explain that "good" kids can find themselves making poor decisions. I hope this will help you understand why the district has created these policies.

http://life.familyeducation.com/scho...nce/34437.html

Again, I do not know the specifics of this situation, but being over the top has come from the violence in schools like Columbine and Virginia Tech. This also comes from events that have unfolded in the district and other districts around the country.

I would also invite you to come and volunteer in a school so you can understand what we do in the eyes of an adult. I would love to have you in the classroom so you can see the positive things that teachers and admin to for the kids everyday. Let me know if you are interested.
    look man i know about good kids and bad kids i said it already.. your policies are not being followed.. i have read the policies in your school district.. i had to to find the actual polcies and read them and i did.. even in your own policies this incident could have been over look had the administration chosen.. they chose not to.. this is not a kid trying to pull a prank of any kind or hurt her school...

yes you do as a teacher have a hard job dealing with other peoples kids but it was your choice.. no one forced you or any other teacher to do it.. so now that you are a teacher in this day and age you have to deal with the idea of a kid comming to school with a gun.. even though im sure any of these school shootings could have been avoided if people would have just talked.. if parents would just talk to their kids and teachers talk to kids and parents... im sorry if the things that i said to you were harsh but none the less they are true...

i am speaking on this subject having been expelled twice and my verience being pulled from me in the 10th grade and not being alowed back in school...

you cannot teach our kids that no matter how good they are they will always be lumped in with the rest.. that is not the case.. look at our courts.. a first time conviction of somthing like assult is never dealt with by years in prison.. lack of killing a person odds on doing any real time are not lickly.. i also know these things being on that side of the courts..

the priciple and the other school admins are not taking in all the facts in this case... they never do..

Dirk
    Fantastic post, Dirk. And, so very, very true. Just as I suggested earlier, fear of liability is what drives (or abandons?) the disciplinary machine in schools today, not common sense.

My wife has been a school teacher (Cert. for k-12, specializing in Spec. Ed.) for longer than the seventeen years I've been with her. I've seen some pretty troubling situations (many that were strikingly parallel with this article) where lessons of unfairness, and asinine reasoning preceded any shred of just, thoughtful treatment in the face of various crises. But, at least the districts didn't get sued, right?

Holy Crap, a post from Raptor!
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by #1Townie View Post
    even though im sure any of these school shootings could have been avoided if people would have just talked.. if parents would just talk to their kids and teachers talk to kids and parents...
    In reading a lot about Columbine, I suspect it could have been avoided if adults would have listened.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

In reading a lot about Columbine, I suspect it could have been avoided if adults would have listened.

Dirk
    +1, does anyone really believe that this policy prevents school shootings? If the kid wants to do it, he will.
    "Ride Naked!"
    2007 Yamaha FZ1 (Fazer)
    1984 Kawasaki 250 4-stroke enduro
    1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.2L V8 (Gas Whore)

Quote Originally Posted by MetaLord 9 View Post
    Holy Crap, a post from Raptor!

Douche Yearly Supporter Sortarican's Avatar

I'm one of those that grew up in a time and area where firearms were common place.
    Many of the schools would close for opening day of deer season.

That being said, it's a different time.
    People know less about, fear more, and are at risk from firearms more than ever before.

As one person in the comments of the story put it, sure the rules are the rules.
    But tell her to leave them at home and give her the minimum amount of suspension, not 10 days.

And for those who blame schools for covering their asses to avoid lawsuits.
    Better to blame the parents that sue a school because their dumbass son fell off his skateboard or overly sensitive daughter was offended by a joke.
    Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet.

Quote Originally Posted by Sortarican View Post
    And for those who blame schools for covering their asses to avoid lawsuits.
    Better to blame the parents that sue a school because their dumbass son fell off his skateboard or overly sensitive daughter was offended by a joke.
    I had begun to address this in one of my prior posts but edited it out thinking it was kind of running on and on.

Anyhow, yes, I know where the roots of this lie. I recognize that blame lies among the parents and scumbag lawyers who sell out their district, and the quality of education for their community's children for a chance at the jackpot. Of all relevant parties, this is the one I can abide the least, if at all.
    There are also advocates and representatives from biased organizations who intervene, strongarming the district, and brainwashing parents into believing that the reason "Johnny" was expelled was clearly racially motivated and had nothing to do with the fact that he brought a loaded gun to school. (<--100% true example)

In all honestly, I blame both sides of the issue. I exclude teachers as a collective because they are trying to make a living and in turn, must follow a district's policy and protocol.
    Anyhow, yes, Jeff, the scumbag parents and lawyers who want to get fat on the people's money allotted for the educational facilities of our children suck.
    Also to blame, in my view, are the district boards, superintendents, and their attorneys, who settle for "zero-tolerance" policies, in the interest of safeguard extremes over logic and standing up for the good fight.

The vultures of our communities are quick to take from our children, as well as those who commit to educating them. The administrators are creating systems conducive to this behavior by feeding the vultures. The result, a perpetual, downward spiral.
    I have personally seen this type of robotic, soulless mindset literally contribute to the loss of young lives. Children need to be connected with on their issues. This is far from asking someone to raise their kids for them. It is a simple matter of looking at an issue individualistically. The girl in the article here deserved this as much as any other good kid. Instead, this weird, disconnected, robotic gauntlet is run where the district wins, but the kid takes an unreasonable loss.
    This is even a case where the community is standing up for this girl, but the district takes no notice of this? Her character is irrelevant?

For anyone to assert that these evasive, disconnective policies foster safety and security for teachers, imagine being the kid whose parents don't raise you right, but you hope to find someone who will listen. Be the kid whose parents do their best, but the child can't open up to them for fear, shame, pressure of standards, etc.. How would that kid view the teacher who says "It's not my job to raise you!"?
    Blanket, impersonable methods do not cultivate trust or security in a kid's eyes. Disconnection causes despair, uselessness, cynicism, and hopelessness. This is how we push kids over the edge.
    Last edited by Raptor; Mon Feb 9th, 2009 at 04:04 PM.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
    I had begun to address this in one of my prior posts but edited it out thinking it was kind of running on and on.

Anyhow, yes, I know where the roots of this lie. I recognize that blame lies among the parents and scumbag lawyers who sell out their district, and the quality of education for their community's children for a chance at the jackpot. Of all relevant parties, this is the one I can abide the least, if at all.
    There are also advocates and representatives from biased organizations who intervene, strongarming the district, and brainwashing parents into believing that the reason "Johnny" was expelled was clearly racially motivated and had nothing to do with the fact that he brought a loaded gun to school. (<--100% true example)

In all honestly, I blame both sides of the issue. I exclude teachers as a collective because they are trying to make a living and in turn, must follow a district's policy and protocol.
    Anyhow, yes, Jeff, the scumbag parents and lawyers who want to get fat on the people's money allotted for the educational facilities of our children suck.
    Also to blame, in my view, are the district boards, superintendents, and their attorneys, who settle for "zero-tolerance" policies, in the interest of safeguard extremes over logic and standing up for the good fight.

The vultures of our communities are quick to take from our children, as well as those who commit to educating them. The administrators are creating systems conducive to this behavior by feeding the vultures. The result, a perpetual, downward spiral.
    I have personally seen this type of robotic, soulless mindset literally contribute to the loss of young lives. Children need to be connected with on their issues. This is far from asking someone to raise their kids for them. It is a simple matter of looking at an issue individualistically. The girl in the article here deserved this as much as any other good kid. Instead, this weird, disconnected, robotic gauntlet is run where the district wins, but the kid takes an unreasonable loss.
    This is even a case where the community is standing up for this girl, but the district takes no notice of this? Her character is irrelevant?

For anyone to assert that these evasive, disconnective policies foster safety and security for teachers, imagine being the kid whose parents don't raise you right, but you hope to find someone who will listen. Be the kid whose parents do their best, but the child can't open up to them for fear, shame, pressure of standards, etc.. How would that kid view the teacher who says "It's not my job to raise you!"?
    Blanket, impersonable methods do not cultivate trust or security in a kid's eyes. Disconnection causes despair, uselessness, cynicism, and hopelessness. This is how we push kids over the edge.