Thread: The Car and Bike tax headed our way...

Right-Wing Nut-Job DavidofColorado's Avatar

The Car and Bike tax headed our way...

If we don't tell our reps~ what we think about this and to knock it off or we will send them to their rooms. We could be looking at a tax hike in the middle of a recession.

A letter from Greg Brophy.

The Car Tax

What you saw at the Capitol these past couple weeks was a classic example of concentrated versus diffused interests.

Mike Rosen gives examples of this all the time on his show, and speaking of Mike, he should have taken his own advice and stuck with Greenburg and Associates; then no one would have made off with his money.

The concentrated interests are the contractors and business communities that benefit from state expenditures on roads. The diffused interests are the regular tax payers who foot the bill for this fee (tax) increase.

The tax increase amounts to a quarter of a billion dollars a year, so you can see why the contractors are interested. It means $41 to you for each regular sized car and $51 for a pickup or bigger SUV.

It’s probably not worth your coming to the Capitol to complain about $82 in registration fee increases a year (two cars), but for sure the road construction guys are interested in their share of an extra quarter billion dollars. Diffused (tax payers) versus concentrated (tax receivers).

The bill also allows for tolling of existing roads just to raise revenue. We took that part out on Wednesday morning and after the four Democrats who sided with the 14 Republicans had their arms twisted all through lunch, they voted to put it back in during the afternoon session.

We also took out of the bill the provision that would allow the state to tax you for every mile driven by putting a GPS transponder in your car. I expect them to try to put that provision back in during discussion in the House.

For sure, we need to spend more money on roads. I’ve offered many ideas to do just that, such as the Plus One idea from last year, which gradually put transportation funding into the general budget and built the amount up to a billion a year additional spending over ten years. It would work if given a try.

Remember, we didn’t get to this overall road condition overnight and we won’t solve the problem for ever overnight.

And, I think it is really important to note that only a fool would raise taxes during a recession.

We also need to come up with a fair way to pay for roads in the future.

One of these days, people may be driving fully electric cars. They won’t pay much in fuel taxes will they? Heck, I drive a Prius, so I don’t pay nearly as much as I used to pay. During the period of $4 gas, I left my pickup parked as much as possible. We’ll see that again, I’m afraid.

I’d trade the gas tax for something else.

Bob Beauprez suggested a sales tax on all items as a trade for the gas tax. It would work.

I have been thinking about an annual stamp on a driver’s license; kind of like my elk hunting stamp on my conservation certificate. Get away from the car, after all, a lot of people, especially farmers own lots of cars, and concentrate on the individual driver. You can only drive one vehicle at a time; seems fairer to me than this increase on all car registrations.

Then the question comes up, when to collect it? Happy Birthday, you owe the state $150 for your road stamp! Maybe the fourth Monday in October would work, that way if the stamp costs too much, the voters would revolt.

I am a rural guy, and I always will be. Any idea that I support will not harm my neighbors.

I’ve been blogging at www.SenatorBrophy.blogspot.com you can get shorter and more timely stuff there.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." Thomas Jefferson

Douche Yearly Supporter Sortarican's Avatar

Re: The Car and Bike tax headed our way...

I blame Dana.
    Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sortarican View Post
    I blame Dana.
    \
    +1

Dana is god.

MRA Racer No.427

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Even god will get taxed.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

What else did you expect would happen when the Democratics took over?

MRA Racer No.427

Gold Member

OBAMA!!!!!!!!

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

'God' is 'taxed'. He currently doesn't have a bike
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

David-

Really man, I mean this. You have to back off of the politics. It's a freakin' bike forum and while this one is at least bike related it's strongly political. We all know your view, you don't have to keep putting it out there.

Of your last 25 posts exactly TWO had anything to do with riding a motorcycle. MOST had some kind of political agenda attached.

PLEASE for the love of all things with two wheels, back off the politics.

Quote Originally Posted by RYBO View Post
    David-

Really man, I mean this. You have to back off of the politics. It's a freakin' bike forum and while this one is at least bike related it's strongly political. We all know your view, you don't have to keep putting it out there.

Of your last 25 posts exactly TWO had anything to do with riding a motorcycle. MOST had some kind of political agenda attached.

I thought I would share since this isn't my opinion but information that was giving to me directly from those that want to do the deed.

I try to keep things light hearted but I can't talk about bikes to much being that its winter time and riding is limited. I did ride today. I will post a thread about it. THE WIND!

Also. By my count 9 out of my last 25 posts are non politic related. The women thead that you shut down really didn't have anything to do with me. I didn't even know about it getting locked until a few seconds ago.

Sorry if I find politics more appealing to my interests then kitty pictures. We could talk about movies? Anyone seen W.? Just kidding, I didn't watch it all.

This hits closer to home then other topics.

I did suggest to Senator Brophy that he should work on making lights that turn red only when a car comes illegal and it would save gas because you don't have to stop then start when there isn't a good reason to stop in the first place. I also dropped my thoughts about making lane splitting legal.
    Last edited by DavidofColorado; Mon Feb 9th, 2009 at 09:16 PM.
    "My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by RYBO View Post
    David-

While I agree that the endless political tirades by numerous members is frustrating and annoying when it's the only thing you see when you get on the forums, why do you feel the need to point out DOCs posting history? Is it just that you don't agree with his right wind POV? I don't get it.

There have been countless threads over the years bashing away at republicans, christians, among other groups of differing opinions and I don't recall seeing such a swift request from the moderation before?

BTW... isn't that what the "General Discussion" section is for? I thought we covered this last week when the request to have a non-moderated political forum...
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post

While I agree that the endless political tirades by numerous members is frustrating and annoying when it's the only thing you see when you get on the forums, why do you feel the need to point out DOCs posting history? Is it just that you don't agree with his right wind POV? I don't get it.

There have been countless threads over the years bashing away at republicans, christians, among other groups of differing opinions and I don't recall seeing such a swift request from the moderation before?

BTW... isn't that what the "General Discussion" section is for? I thought we covered this last week when the request to have a non-moderated political forum...
    I hear that, mention Christianity, Religion, God or Creationism and it's like ringing the dinner bell for wolves around here.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

Can't you block IP addresses when you block user names? That might keep one non bike riding dickhead from coming back.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    I hear that, mention Christianity, Religion, God or Creationism and it's like ringing the dinner bell for wolves around here.
    Can I hear an AMEN!
    Eric
    CSBA#477
    00 Triumph Sprint RS
    www.cocsba.com