Thread: Honda Dominoes - this is cool

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Honda Dominoes - this is cool

If you thought that the people who set up a room full of dominoes to have them knocked over later was amazing, you haven't seen anything yet..

There are no computer graphics or digital tricks in these images. Everything that you see happened in real time exactly as you see it..

The recording required 606 takes and in the first 605 takes there always was something, usually of minor importance, that didn't work.

It was necessary for the recording team to install the set-up time after time and it took several weeks working day and night to achieve this effect.

The recording cost 6 million dollars and it took 3 months to finish, including the engineering design of the sequence.

The duration of the video is only 2 minutes, but every time that Honda shows the commercial on British television, they make enough money to support any of us for the rest of our lives. However, this commercial has turned out to be the most displayed in the history of the Internet.

Honda execs think that it will pay for itself simply because of the free showings (Honda is not paying one cent for you to see it)

When Honda senior execs viewed it, they immediately approved it without hesitation-including costs.
    There are only six Honda Accords built by hand in the whole world, and to the horror of Honda engineers, the recording team disassembled two of them for the recording.

Everything you see in the sequence (besides the walls, floor, ramp and untouched Honda Accord) is part of those two automobiles. The voice is that of Garrison Keller. The commercial was so well received by Honda execs when they saw it, that their first comment was how amazing the computer graphics were. They almost fell out of their chairs when told that the recording was real without any graphics manipulation.

By the way, about the wind shield wipers in the new Honda Accords, they are sensitive to water and designed to start working as soon as they get wet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIuc09ui3EQ
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Re: Honda Dominoes - this is cool

Cool...But now way in hell those tires would roll up from such little momentum....lol
    98 VFR 800 (Old faithful)
    06 Sprint ST 1050 (Sexual Chocolate)

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

From what I've read about the tires, they are weighted on the inside, and so once they pass the 360 degree mark, they propel themselves slightly. At least initially.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Quote Originally Posted by VFR View Post
    Cool...But now way in hell those tires would roll up from such little momentum....lol
    They weighted the insides of the tires so that they would appear to roll uphill. The front side of the tire is rolling "down" even though the whole wheel and tire is going up the incline.

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

damn! ninja'd by Barn

Board Newbie

need a bike one

thats effin awesome

I like the comments on it. One person says it took over 60,000 times to get it right ya kno! And another says it took 306 captures to work out perfectly. And then another, says this: 私は完全にクールであなたもすてきな日本語を見つける...crazy gibberish (j/k).

Great video. I think it'd take a lot more tries to get a motorcycle one done, but I'm more than willing to attempt it with someone over the summer while I've got my project bike apart. I'll do the physics, you supply the beer, camera, workers, etc...

Gold Member

ok im sorry but im wasted and in the part with the speakers there are no wires.. none.... cgi??? this shit is fake.. and im drunk!!!

They screwed up a few places in the vid , if the tires didn't roll up I almost would have ran right out and bought the car. Not really, but overall someone came up with a kick ass video to display the new accord.

There was a bunch of discussion about this a couple of years ago. Still pretty cool.

Carl

Long Distance Gear Checklist 2002 Hayabusa - Now with 100,000+ miles!

Video is older than the dinosaurs, but still pretty kick ass.
    -Greg
    2013 BMW R1200GS

Yeah, I've seen this video in the past. It is really cool and probably took way more patience than I have.
    Photogallery * Google+ * Facebook! * STFU
    Quote Originally Posted by Suki View Post
    god bless thongs and low self esteem women.