Thread: Home Inspections

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Board Newbie

Re: Home Inspections

http://homebuying.about.com/od/homes...7_homeinsp.htm

radon and sewer lines have been troublesome for many ppl in my area.

Gold Member Yearly Supporter mtnairlover's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by danielj2345 View Post
    http://homebuying.about.com/od/homes...7_homeinsp.htm

radon and sewer lines have been troublesome for many ppl in my area.
    Thanks. So what area do you live in?

The house (attached home) was built in 1993. It's on the north side of Westminster off 133rd. I'm not sure of the builder, but will get that info. The house also has a radon evacuation system installed and it is constantly running...the main part of the system is in the garage. I just want to be sure it's doing the job it's supposed to be doing.

Thanks to everyone else for the input (Shea, James, Jim, Suki)...trust me...I need the advice if for anything, it helps me feel like I'm not doing this completely on my own (ooh scary thought)

Gonna put all this info in my notebook for tomorrow.
    ...ready to take on the world...one canyon at a time...

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

Hey, my roommate's brother has a home inspection business. He does inspections as well as energy ratings. If you have specific questions about CO specific homes, give him a call, he lives and works in Denver/Boulder area and is a really nice guy! He wouldn't mind giving you some pointers.

Mike Broussard
    720-985-8445
    "Leze Le Bon Temps Roulet"
    Let The Good Times Roll!!

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter Shea's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mtnairlover View Post
    Thanks. So what area do you live in?

The house (attached home) was built in 1993. It's on the north side of Westminster off 133rd. I'm not sure of the builder, but will get that info. The house also has a radon evacuation system installed and it is constantly running...the main part of the system is in the garage. I just want to be sure it's doing the job it's supposed to be doing.

Thanks to everyone else for the input (Shea, James, Jim, Suki)...trust me...I need the advice if for anything, it helps me feel like I'm not doing this completely on my own (ooh scary thought)

Gonna put all this info in my notebook for tomorrow.
    If the radon fan is pushing air it's doing it's job. However a test will determine if there is radon present and at what levels.

If the home was built in '93 I would say the furnace/water heater should be looked at extra carefully. "They" say that they have a life of 10-15 years and they most likely have never been replaced. Don't fall for the "just serviced" bs. I would make it a condition of sale that they have them replaced or, probably better for you, knock the replacement cost off the sale price. That way you can make sure they are replaced with quality gear.

Another big thing is water intrusion. Most likely a production build and they throw those things together really quick (and backfill is never really taken seriously). Checking the crawlspace for water/dampness, perimeter drain setup, sump pump, make sure gutters drain "at least" 5 feet from foundation, CHECK and DOUBLE CHECK grade around every side of the house. Should be a 6" drop in the first 10' from the house. Make sure the exterior finish is not touching grade (bare concrete 4" up to stucco, etc).

So much stuff to look for...
    Shea
    Now bikeless...

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    THERE IS NO TIME FOR RATIONAL SOLUTIONS!
    WE HAVE TO TAKE DRASTIC IRRATIONAL MEASURES NOW!
    LIVES ARE IN DANGER!