Thread: Kansas BROKE! Rock chalk? More like rock bottom...

Thumbs down Kansas BROKE! Rock chalk? More like rock bottom...

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content...e.html?sid=101

Kansas running out of money
    State suspends tax refunds; payroll might be next
    Monday, February 16, 2009 4:34 PM

ASSOCIATED PRESS
    TOPEKA, Kan. -- Kansas has suspended income tax refunds and may not be able to pay employees on time, the state's budget director said today.
    The state doesn't have enough money in its main budget account to pay its bills, prompting Democratic Gov. Kathleen Sebelius to suggest transferring $225 million from other accounts throughout state government. But the move required approval from legislative leaders, and Republican leaders refused Monday.
    Budget Director Duane Goossen said that without the money, he's not sure the state can meet its payroll. State employees are scheduled to be paid again Friday.
    Goossen said the state stopped processing income tax refunds last week.
    GOP leaders are hoping to pressure Sebelius into signing a bill making $326 million in adjustments to the budget for the fiscal year that ends June 30.
    Legislators approved that bill last week, but it has not reached her desk.
    Goossen said the state might also have to delay payments to public schools and to doctors who provide care to needy Kansas residents under the Medicaid program.

I mean...don't 'cha think they coulda seen this coming???

[SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Re: Kansas BROKE! Rock chalk? More like rock bottom...

Put a big fence around it, and make that state a prison.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Ever driven through KS? It's already like a prison even without the fence.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Yeah but it's more like driving through "the prision experience." The only thing left to make it worse is enact a 25 mph state speed limit. Can you imagine doing 25 through ALL of Kansas without shanking someone??

[SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by MetaLord 9 View Post
    Yeah but it's more like driving through "the prision experience." The only thing left to make it worse is enact a 25 mph state speed limit. Can you imagine doing 25 through ALL of Kansas without shanking someone??

Noooo...
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Wow, Obama wants to give like $250mill to bullshit like the Smithsonian Institute and $200mill to promoting use of and giving out condoms in that bullshit Stimulus Bill that just passed, but entire states can't pay their tax refunds or employees, WTF????? I'd like to know how many billions of $$ are going to crap causes that won't help people get or keep their jobs n the next 5 years! Good luck Kansas, and this is coming from a dude that just got laid off.....
    "Leze Le Bon Temps Roulet"
    Let The Good Times Roll!!

I would definitely be pissed about the State holding my refund because it doesn't have the money to pay my refund, but imagine being the bus driver who doesn't know if they are getting their next paycheck yet are expected to be at work Monday morning.
    The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Actually I agree with the condom thing. If we can discourage stupid people from breeding, it can only help future generations.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Quote Originally Posted by RajunCajun View Post
    I'd like to know how many billions of $$ are going to crap causes that won't help people get or keep their jobs n the next 5 years!
    Wish it would be so easy to simply blame it on Obama. Not only is it the Democrat congress who passed the bill, but it would have been full of shit spending if it was a Republican congress.

Unfortunately Congress is more concerned with "what will help me come re-election with my constituents?" and less with "what will actually help the nations economy?"
    The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR

Prevention is cheaper. Instruction on how to use a condom is the next step...

CA started the 'suspended tax refunds' and KS is following.
    The amount of money which isn't theirs to hold makes some nice interest dollars off of da' people.
    It works! Slow in, Fast out
    "Sarcasm is difficult to convey on the internet, especially if the people reading it don't know you personally". By Spiderman
    Neither irony nor sarcasm is argument. By Rufus Choate
    Be smart, be nice, do what'cha love and always have fun.
    Let food be your medicine, and medicine be your food. - Hippocrates
    I will use treatment to help the sick. I will never use it to injure them or wrong them. I will not give poison to anyone. - The Hippocratic Oath

No blame specifically on Obama, both sides passed it, well kinda. And the condom thing, yeah, it could help keep people out of trouble. BUT, that isn't a HUGE issue compared to people loosing their jobs and their houses and not being able to get paid for the jobs they do have. Give that money to state govs to pay their damm employees and tax refunds and such, and things that create jobs now and let busnesses hire back peeps they let go,,,things that will make a difference now, not in 5-10 years, ya know...
    "Leze Le Bon Temps Roulet"
    Let The Good Times Roll!!

Read it this way: Hi, I know that you're a Kansas state employee who has put in many years of great service with an exemplary record and that you've got a family to feed, so I'll give you a choice, which would you rather have: Your tax refund or your paycheck? And thanks again for the great job you do!

[SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

The stimulus provides money for state budgets. It would have provided more, but the senate had to make big cuts to state assistance to get the 3 Republican senators to sign on. The senate would be unable to pass the bill without at least 2 republican votes due to a GOP filibuster.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...MNVI15QA5R.DTL

Dang, that sucks. I'm from Kansas and have a ton of friends and family still there.

At least my parents both work in Missouri, and their houses are both paid off...I doubt they'll have problems. But that still leaves tons of other people who'll be pissed off.

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe View Post
    Actually I agree with the condom thing. If we can discourage stupid people from breeding, it can only help future generations.
    The condom thing I agree with, but here's one better: sterilize habitual welfare breeders. 'Nuff said.

Perhaps do the illegals too? go home voluntarily, or get snipped, and sent home......
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLE_MONKEY View Post
    The condom thing I agree with, but here's one better: sterilize habitual welfare breeders.

Why not impose drug testing for welfare recipients? It is a whole lot less invasive and while I might bang a meth-head while stoned out of my mind, I shudder every time I see one when I am sober.

^^Isn't that the girl off of the show House?

Last edited by MetaLord 9; Tue Feb 17th, 2009 at 08:31 AM.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]