Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phil Long Ford Repairs Car (Yeah right)

Phil Long Ford Repairs Car (Yeah right)

Last edited by modette99; Mon Nov 7th, 2011 at 04:05 PM.

Re: Phil Long Ford Repairs Car (Yeah right)

Moddette its good to hear you didnt get hurt that doesnt look like it would have been fun to drive like that. Phil Long has some real good people there they should make it right. If they dont shoot me a PM and I will see what I can do I know some people with the Phil Long group
    R.I.P. Lahela 10/12/1986-08/01/2008

Want to become a super hero? http://www.donoralliance.org/info-page-1

"I don't fail I just succeed at finding ways that don't work."
    Chris Titus

CSC Spelling Bee Champ 2008 and 2009

Well hell... there's yer problem right there!

all kidding aside, glad you all are unharmed.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Last edited by modette99; Mon Nov 7th, 2011 at 04:06 PM.

Dang, glad you are okay. Looks like they did not tighten the bolt where the ball joint and the knuckle meet up. Hope they take care of it. At least they did not blame it on another warranty issue.
    Elden (The Superchink) MRA #415 / AFM #102

Do you want to take your riding to the next level?
    http://chicanetrackdays.com/

Unique Track Day event to benefit children!!!
    http://www.racing2savelives.org/

Modette,

I had a similar problem when I had my 07 Focus. Since I had the two years of free maintenance(i.e. oil changes, tire rotation) I figured I might as well use them if anything just because it's free. Except the dealer I used was the Phil Long Ford in Motor City.

Well I took the car in to get the tires rotated and oil changed. I didn't even have 1000 miles since my trip to them and I lost two LUG NUTS from my left rear wheel. Now had this been a 5 lug pattern I wouldn't have been too pissed. But since it's a 4 lug wheel, I was a little hot under the collar knowing I only had two lugs left(because this would have a been a disaster had the wheel come off while going down the road). And they weren't across from each other either. They were side by side. So I immediately took the car over to the dealership(I was out and about the day I noticed it). And made them give me a new lock lug(which I lost) and re-torque all the wheels over again.

Freakin mechanic came out and said, "well I only used the impact gun to put the lugs on." The guy didn't even use a damn torque wrench, and you'd think a dealer with a certified FORD mechanice would at least used a torque wrench. Funny thing is, when I took my Silverado over to Big O Tires to have some new rubber put on it, their regular tire techs used a torque wrench to make sure everything was done right. Big O' Tires out peformed Ford.

Now, I never let anyone work on my vehicle regardless of what's being done(tire rotation or other work) without me being able to watch them and keep an eye on them. Sucks that you have to be that way but you can't trust anyone(dealer or otherwise) anymore....
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

Hey just cause the guy worked at ford doesnt make him ford certifed probly just a quick lane tech. Which would be the same as Big O you just got the better one when you went to big o
    R.I.P. Lahela 10/12/1986-08/01/2008

Want to become a super hero? http://www.donoralliance.org/info-page-1

"I don't fail I just succeed at finding ways that don't work."
    Chris Titus

CSC Spelling Bee Champ 2008 and 2009

I am a ASE cert, master tech. I have not used a torque wrench to tighten lug nuts in 10 years and have yet to see a tire fall off. That was caused by a ball joint, bolt and nut not being tighted down. They should take care of this.
    Last edited by krod; Mon Feb 23rd, 2009 at 08:36 PM.
    HighSide Racing
    Marine Corps vet
    http://roadrunnertg.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Tipys View Post
    Hey just cause the guy worked at ford doesnt make him ford certifed probly just a quick lane tech. Which would be the same as Big O you just got the better one when you went to big o
    He may have been quick lane but still, two lugs came off. You can make all the excuses you want for someone. But if a wheel comes off while you're going down the road there's not telling what could happen. Because not only do you have to worry about the damage that gets caused to you own vehicle but what about when your wheel that came off decides to smack another car or pedestrian? Granted one could speculate all day but I've seen what can happen when a tire/wheel does come off and it's not pretty or funny.

Quote Originally Posted by krod View Post
    I am a ASE cert, master tech. I have not used a torque wrench to tighten lug nuts in 10 years and have yet to see a tire fall off.
    Well I'm sure that use of a torque wrench on wheels isn't required as long as you have a strong enough impact gun. But it's sure nice to torque wheels down to the correct specs. If anything for the safety factor.

As for seeing wheels come off, I happen to watch an 18 Wheeler on I70 going through Kansas lose his left rear duals at 70mph. Both tires/wheels once they came off then sped up ahead of the truck. One crashed into a jersey barrier and flew up in the air and landed on the highway ROW. The second actually went down a hill next to the highway, managed to keep it's speed, come back on the highway and almost smashed into the vehicle I was in. The second wheel also smacked into a jersey barrier and shot wildly all over the interstate. It made a mess to say the least.

I'm not saying I'm Mr. By the Book at all times. But I think when it comes to torquing down wheels so they don't come off, it's probably something that shouldnt' be overlooked(for safety reasons).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

Most impact guns are rated over 200fp thats well over recommended torque specs. The reason you should not use air guns is they tend to over tighten and strip out the lug bolts. A tractor-trailer that lost a wheel is a common problem not because of loose lug nuts its caused by overloading...... Diesel is expensive. I agree you should follow the manufactuer specs.,but don't be so quick to throw the tech under the bus we all make mistakes. I am sure Phill Long will handle this properly.
    HighSide Racing
    Marine Corps vet

Most impact guns are rated over 200fp thats well over recommended torque specs. The reason you should not use air guns is they tend to over tighten and strip out the lug bolts. A tractor-trailer that lost a wheel is a common problem not because of loose lug nuts its caused by overloading...... Diesel is expensive. I agree you should follow the manufactuer specs.,but don't be so quick to throw the tech under the bus we all make mistakes. I am sure Phill Long will handle this properly.
    Oh I never threw the tech under the bus. In fact I really wasn't upset at all with him when I went back. I mainly got ticked because of the way the Supervisor was conducting herself. She could tell I was mad because of the problem that could have happened. And she just shrugged it off as well "you're just complaining to complain type", which wasn't the case as I wouldn't have been in there if I still had all 4 of my lug nuts. My main grip was just getting another lock lug and a re-torque and I'd be on my way. Which they did but with the supervisor making some faces in the process HAHA.

Yeah I hope Modette gets it sorted out. I can say I'm not pleased with Phil Long and not just because of my incident but with the way they do business as well.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"

Stay away from Phil Long Chappel Hills! They will rip you off. They will tell you anything you want to hear, and then blow you off when it's time to deliver. When you try to take it up the chain of command, they stonewall you and there is no available method to contact the top managers / owners. I have been told that FL Chappel Hills and FL Motor City are two seperate entities under different ownership, but I don't know for sure.
    THERE ARE TWO KINDS OF RIDERS: THOSE THAT HAVE CRASHED, AND THOSE THAT ARE GOING TO CRASH.

Well mistakes happen, good thing that you didn't get hurt, but seems like they are trying to work with you and make things right. Sounds to me like they are doing everything that they should already and plus some.

I bought a bike recently, brake reservoir cover was left unsecured, spilled all over the windscreen and forks, went back in, they replaced the parts needed, and I went on my way, no big deal, yes that could have been a near death experience especially since I was debating going to IMI that day. But it wasn't and I didn't get hurt, didn't need any more compensation, just for them to make things right and they did.

I think your point of "punishing" the dealership is a little overboard. I am sure they are well aware of what could have happened.

Hummm,

I have seen 3 cars in the Springs alone have their axle pop out while making turns....

tummmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    98 VFR 800 (Old faithful)
    06 Sprint ST 1050 (Sexual Chocolate)

Exposed Member Lifetime Supporter Bashed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slo1299 View Post
    Well mistakes happen, good thing that you didn't get hurt, but seems like they are trying to work with you and make things right.

I think your point of "punishing" the dealership is a little overboard. I am sure they are well aware of what could have happened.

I agree with Slo1299 on this. I see you do some work of your own here.

http://www.coweekendroadwarriors.com/

Karma will bite you someday, just say'in.
    * Bash, Bashasaurus, Ms Bash, his neighbors or friends are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you being squidish, squid like, squirting ink, or waving your non-covered tentacles about in a squidy fashion. Nor is he or his associates responsible for any citations as a result of you hanging with SoCo. Any attempt to coerce, blame, question, or pin your loser-riffic behavior on any of us, or those who are considered us for the night, as well as people we like, to include Salma Hayek and Nicky Hayden, among others, will result in a profanity stricken series of post that mock and taunt you incessantly, as well as many of us adding such insults to our signature lines. Avoid taking SoCo before bedtime. Do not use if you experience faintness, dizziness, inverness, difficulty urinating or blotchy skin. If I steal a line, quote, avatar or image from a post you make on the internet, you're not getting credit.*

Anyone looking for a good shop at reasonable prices (well below factory) give me a call. All work comes with a 2 year 24000 mile warranty. Kimmer auotmotive. 303-693-1400. ASE certified. ASA certified. BBB member, and on Tom Martino's ask a mechanic talk show.
    HighSide Racing
    Marine Corps vet

Anyone looking for a good shop at reasonable prices (well below factory) give me a call. All work comes with a 2 year 24000 mile warranty. Kimmer auotmotive. 303-693-1400. ASE certified. ASA certified. BBB member, and on Tom Martino's ask a mechanic talk show.
    Fuckin' spammer!

Sorry, Mark, I am going to have to agree with Slo & Co on their take. It does suck, it could have hurt you quite badly, but all the shop owes you is to fix the damage caused by their mistake, in my opinion. I am not trying to slam you personally so please don't take offense, but it is the same sort of thinking that leads to multi million dollar lawsuits against McDonalds because someone spill coffee in their lap. It is understandable to be very angry with the shop and want to punish them. Hoping to punish the dealership for their mistake will have no positive gain for anyone involved, including you.

Glad to see that no one was hurt as a result of the mistake. You can try that spammer Krod's shop, but make sure you don't go on the "mechanics in thongs day", since it is really kind of nasty and more aimed more at the over 40 cougar crowd.
    1989 Honda Hawk,2005 crf250x supermoto

It is better to communicate good information than to offer misinformation in the name of good communication. Alastair B Fraser

Quote Originally Posted by modette99 View Post
    ...Plus I took my Ford Focus ST to them for an alignment and while they had it in there I walked around and looked at vehicles. Some sales guy comes up to me and I let him know my vehicle is in for maintenance and I'm just killing time. I talk to the guy and am amazed he does not know what a Ford GT40 is, at first he things it is a Mustang...I was in shock. I actually told him he needs to Google it. He then is upfront with me and says, "this is only a job I know nothing of cars I just sell them".

I can tell you, I would never ever buy a car from a salesman that knows nothing of at least the vehicles he sales. Then again I see that at motorcycle dealerships all the time *shrug*...
    Slight hijack, but the reality of the public is that enthusiast make up less that 10% of the car buying population, and of those, most buy older stuff and modify it themselves. Most peaple walk into a dealership and now they want a van, or car or truck and thats about it. You can quote HP figures, milage G-loading ability and the like and they will stare at you dumbfounded. But show them the cool auto open doors with the remote, DVD players and the like and bing, sale. Salepeaple are salesmen, hence their sale knowledge is more important than product knowledge.

Back in 91 I was selling Toyotas and sucked at it. I could tell you why the twin cam was better and how you should get the V6 pickup instead but in the end most peaple want to show up, be shown a cool car, pick the color and leave.
    GSXRScott made me follow him into that corner,...down that hill...there was the time up that washout...crankcase alley...man I gotta stop following him.
    Quote Originally Posted by PharmerKyle View Post
    ...I knew all too well what would happen if the old guy on the Beemer took the lead...

Quote Originally Posted by modette99 View Post
    Maybe I should sell my services so people can save money.
    I *think* you said this as a joke (hard to tell on the internet) but in today's economic environment it may be a great idea. Last down turn a female friend was buying a new car and asked me to go with her because 1) she hated haggling and 2) she thought they would try to take advantage of a single female. After that we joked that I should start a business as a "Man for hire" for big ticket purchases. Same idea. I say go for it if you have the personality to haggle for a $100 of a washing machine at best buy.
    1989 Honda Hawk,2005 crf250x supermoto

It is better to communicate good information than to offer misinformation in the name of good communication. Alastair B Fraser